Page 1 of 2
Doku
330 IQ
And I'm not really sure where to start. First of all she has almost no experience with a guitar, but she told me she wants me to teach her. People have asked me to teach them in the past and I agreed, but none of them were ever serious about it. She on the other hand just went and bought herself a guitar and seems serious about learning.

She likes Deathmetal, apparently, as well as Metalcore (things like Bullet for My Valentine) and softer stuff (Deathcab for Cutie). I just have no idea where to start when I'm teaching her. Yeah I know she has to learn the basics, but I figured I would start by teaching her a bit of a song she wanted to learn so that she'd be interested.

So far I started teaching her the intro to Tears Don't Fall and she also mentioned something about I Will Follow You Into the Dark by Deathcab. I just don't know what to start her off with is the thing. I think that the Deathcab song might be a little too hard for a beginner.

Any advice?

Thank you so much in advance!
Tempoe
. . . ∆ . . .
2,511 IQ
Any girl ever asked me to teach them wanted sex...have fun
Zaphod_Beeblebr
Shallow and pedantic.
1,670 IQ
Make sure she knows the basics and is confident in their application, everything flows from there.

However, that said, I've generally always thought that people shouldn't teach unless they at least know what it is they should be teaching. The real keys to teaching are communication and awareness, ability means more or less nothing.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Album.
Legion.
Doku
330 IQ
Thank you Zaphod for your advice! I am confident in my ability to be able to teach her how to play properly as I remember what my guitar teacher taught me. However, when I started out, I did not have a teacher so I had to learn the basics on my own. This is why I need someone to point me in the right direction so that I can get her on track.
jumpaside
388 IQ
Quote by Tempoe

This. Thats why I'm stoked to teach any girl guitar. All my friends have done it aswell. Show her the string names and then get some
Honkern
45 IQ
Buy her rocksmith, thats how the missus started playing.
JackJackSuited
32 IQ
This advice is coming from someone that knows next to nothing about teaching guitar, but who is just starting out more or less too.
Maybe find some of the really simple 3 chord songs and try to have her learn those shapes and songs slowly. Even better if those chords are found in any of the Death Cab songs she likes as well.
But because those chords can be boring and take some time, maybe give her some small lead sections, or a riff or two to work on as homework. I'm usually more inspired to work on riffs more than chord changes due to the intense amount of concentration learning to change chords properly takes.
LazyHardRocker
467 IQ
Aww come on dude... Bullet For My Valentine isn't metal, we all know that.
"Most people work just hard enough not to get fired and get paid just enough not to quit." - George Carlin
scotland87
91 IQ
Quote by Tempoe

Haha, Tempoe speaks truth! Hopefully she's hot.
JackJackSuited
32 IQ
I suppose you'd have gotten better actual advice if you substituted "someone" for girl...
scotland87
91 IQ
Quote by JackJackSuited
I suppose you'd have gotten better actual advice if you substituted "someone" for girl...

Your right, this is unfair NOT to give advice jsut because she happens to be a girl...

Ok, so she is a total beginner. In my opinion musical taste shouldnt really come into the equation at the total beginner stage, at least for the first month or two.

Start with the simple stuff. Open chords, simple picking, simple strum patterns, nothing too advanced that will likely put her off guitar or make her think that learning is going to be an impossible task.

Its a shameless plug, but i have a beginners practice lesson submitted on UG that has pretty decent reviews and feedback. Perhaps you can take a look at that (find it on my profile) and tailor to suit her level of experience. You can use it as a template for your sessions, that way you have at least some direction.
Ometh
UG Addict
3,911 IQ
Don't worry, you'll totally get laid. She likes metalcore, so she's totally a scene *****, meaning she probably sucked off every single guy she ever knew.
Quote by slapsymcdougal
I'm cockblocked regularly by my appearance and personality.
Nameless742
UG Fanatic
924 IQ
When I think absolute beginner I think:
Edit: 1st thing is the guitar itself. And how to hold/use the pick.

CAGED chords.
One Scale
Fchord/more chords
Power chords
another scale
Barre Chords

And inbetween some fun riffs and basic lead parts.(Like smoke on the water!)
On playing the Paul Gilbert signature at the guitar store extensively, my missus sighed:
"Put it down now, It's like you love that guitar more than me!"
In Which I replied.
"Well it has got two F-Holes!"
Last edited by Nameless742 at Oct 25, 2012,
Silverpack
Tab Contributor
247 IQ
Quote by Nameless742
When I think absolute beginner I think:
Edit: 1st thing is the guitar itself. And how to hold/use the pick.

CAGED chords.
One Scale
Fchord/more chords
Power chords
another scale
Barre Chords

And inbetween some fun riffs and basic lead parts.(Like smoke on the water!)

Working on on power chords after two or three lessons is indeed a good idea. The simple open chord shapes allow the student to quickly work on the rock/metal sound that makes most of the people enthusiast about the guitar, and your chick will have real fun almost immediately.
Doku
330 IQ
Thank you so much for the number of responses, albeit some have been distasteful. I really appreciate all the great advice!
t1mman
411 IQ
-How to hold the pick the right way
-How to read tabs
-Do her
-How to fret (you can start by showing her a scale, panthatonic is realy simple to understand)
-Basic Open chords
-How does the note works
-Do her again
-if she is going well, you might want to input some theory, like the distance between notes, the tone/semitone (8 notes and 12 semi tone)
-intervals

You can also try to teach her with a song. Like many scale can be found in solos, it can be explained.
Doku
330 IQ
How should I go about keeping her interested in learning though? I feel that beginners in general would generally just be turned off by standard chromatic exercises and might get bored quickly. What should I weave in between teaching her these things in order for her to keep interest in playing? Or rather, is there a way to teach the basics in an interesting manner, rather than through a dull linear method?
scotland87
91 IQ
Just teach her something thats "dull and linear" like some open chords then show them applied to music.

For example teach her the A, D and G chords then rock out Bad Moon Rising by CCR. This will show her very quickly how easy it actually is to get results from the simple stuff! Things like that.

Teach here the A minor pentatonic scale, then let her hear the scale applied using a backing track!

Simple stuff that sounds impressive, especially to a novice first starting out!
Zaphod_Beeblebr
Shallow and pedantic.
1,670 IQ
Quote by Doku
How should I go about keeping her interested in learning though? I feel that beginners in general would generally just be turned off by standard chromatic exercises and might get bored quickly. What should I weave in between teaching her these things in order for her to keep interest in playing? Or rather, is there a way to teach the basics in an interesting manner, rather than through a dull linear method?

Basically no one should do those chromatic exercises anyway; if you have any time to practice chances are you could be doing something better with your time.

Either way, spend a bit more time with her and talk about the music she likes more, chances are there's something relatively simple in there somewhere so focus on that. You probably won't need to go past the absolute basics of the basics for at least a few weeks anyway. The learning curve is steep when you start out.

Album.
Legion.
t1mman
411 IQ
Well, if she likes metalcore or anything metal, you can show her a basic "chug" with palm mute / open on low E

This way you can teach the basic picking skill. Once she got this right, add some fretting into it.
Doku
330 IQ
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Basically no one should do those chromatic exercises anyway; if you have any time to practice chances are you could be doing something better with your time.

Either way, spend a bit more time with her and talk about the music she likes more, chances are there's something relatively simple in there somewhere so focus on that. You probably won't need to go past the absolute basics of the basics for at least a few weeks anyway. The learning curve is steep when you start out.

So like basic chord progressions, simple scales, and some leads in the mix? And if her fingers start hurting I should have her stop fretting and just work on her picking?
Velvet_Blue
23 IQ
Look past her gender and just teach her like you would teach anyone who wants to seriously learn how to play the guitar. Gender should not matter or be an issue, yet for some reason - it still is.
mdc
UG's Mr Chord Man
722 IQ
Teach her power chords in standard tuning. Then in Drop D tuning which is evn easier. Since she likes Metal...

... THEN, move in for the kill.
farmosh203
594 IQ
When I first learned guitar, my older brother only had one day to teach me before he had to leave. Here's what he had me do:

-How to play Smoke on the Water with no power chords.
-Introduce power chords and play them with Smoke on the Water.
-Iron Man
-Smells Like Teen Spirit

That's 1-2 months of practice right there.
macashmack
Maskcashmack
3,359 IQ
Her being a girl very much matters. I don't think that TS is into guys...

If you are, Sorry bout that!
J2G
UG Member
697 IQ
LMFAO at these sex comments! I'm a newb and still gonna advertise teaching the absolute basics to chicks now.
91RG350
At least Microsoft cared
281 IQ
jeez welcome to The Pit

Teach her a bit of a song that she likes...a riff or a few riffs...

plus.... a bit of theory...chords..pentatonic scale... whatever..
Quote by AlanHB
It's the same as all other harmony. Surround yourself with skulls and candles if it helps.
Doku
330 IQ
Okay enough with the sexual comments guys. They are still as distasteful as they were before and they aren't getting any funnier. I would appreciate any advice I could get that would help me teach her better, so unless you have some advice to give me please don't post here.
hansome21
UG Fanatic
186 IQ
I would say don't overwhelm her. I think your original idea to teach her the intros to some BFMV is a great starting place. It is something she recognizes, likes, and probably wants to play. Give her something like that, something fun that she can make sound like a real song.

From BFMV, I recommend hearts burst into fire intro (not the solo obviously, but you can play it and let her play the intro on loop, options are limitless) because it's pretty simple power chord stuff.

Personally, lesson 1 I would teach her power chord shapes and that she can put them anywhere on the E or A strings first. Then the intro, she should be able to nail both in a couple days. Just 1 chord shape and 1 intro isn't overbearing like teaching her all a bunch of full chords or barre chords she wont be able to play for possibly months.
mtshark
is the bees knees
1,497 IQ
The Death Cab song would actually be good for introducing her to barre chords (that F is enough to start with.) Don't try to have her emulate the strumming technique, just the chord changes with generic strumming. Though I would start her with a few G-D-C-Em type songs first before jumping into barres.

Edit: Obligatory:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5QCs3PnQBc
I pride myself on my humility.
Last edited by mtshark at Oct 28, 2012,
Captaincranky
288 IQ
Quote by Doku
So I am teaching a girl how to play guitar...
Leading off the thread with this title, it's almost an absolute certainty that you would receive sexual innuendo in the replies.

So, it begs the question, "did you do it on purpose so that you could defend her honor"?

Realistically speaking, the secondary sexual differences in a woman's arms aren't sufficient to require a different teaching technique than a man.

You are obviously still a bit hung up on the idea that she's a girl, and you want her to be impressed with your teaching techniques.

There's an old saying, "a boy chases a girl until she catches him". Perhaps that is in play here. Maybe it's the old, "look, I just bough a guitar, and I like the same music as you", gambit.....
Last edited by Captaincranky at Oct 28, 2012,
macashmack
Maskcashmack
3,359 IQ
Quote by Captaincranky
Leading off the thread with this title, it's almost an absolute certainty that you would receive sexual innuendo in the replies.

So, it begs the question, "did you do it on purpose so that you could defend her honor"?

Realistically speaking, the secondary sexual differences in a woman's arms aren't sufficient to require a different teaching technique than a man.

You are obviously still a bit hung up on the idea that she's a girl, and you want her to be impressed with your teaching techniques.

There's an old saying, "a boy chases a girl until she catches him". Perhaps that is in play here. Maybe it's the old, "look, I just bough a guitar, and I like the same music as you", gambit.....

Holy shit your a dick
Zaphod_Beeblebr
Shallow and pedantic.
1,670 IQ
Quote by macashmack
Holy shit your a dick

On the other hand he's at least partially right: the fact that the person TS wants to teach is female shouldn't matter, so why was it ever mentioned?

Album.
Legion.
mdc
UG's Mr Chord Man
722 IQ
She needs inspiration. I don't know, Orianthi maybe?
JackJackSuited
32 IQ
It's bad enough some of the posters sounded disturbing and misogynistic. Now apparently its okay because he said the word "girl"? Sounds like the same logic that makes it okay to steal the coat of someone's back, well, because if you wear something nice you're asking for it, right?

How many threads mention a guy teaching a guy? And does anyone suggest those guys **** their friends or question why they mentioned it was a guy?

I have to wonder why this thread wasn't advised to stay on the topic of guitar technique a while ago.
Captaincranky
288 IQ
Quote by JackJackSuited
I have to wonder why this thread wasn't advised to stay on the topic of guitar technique a while ago.
Since the topic of ulterior motivation kicks in at about chapter one of interpersonal relationship texts, it does go to the question of why TS felt obligated to mention the prospective student was a girl. What was the ulterior motive? Don't tell me there wasn't an ulterior motive, because there's always an ulterior motive. It's part of what separates man from the animals.

The back story leading to the lessons is kind of "different", and seems to suggest she has an agenda as well.

Keep in mind, I made no sexual innuendo. I merely suggested it's possible the girl likes him. That's a fairly harmless, if not completely benign remark.

The fact remains that, "boys will be boys", and that sexual tension, is the primal force in all our life's pursuits. So, when too many boys get together, it's inevitable that a few dirty jokes are going to fly. Which, that brings us back to why that TS felt obligated to inform us this was a female student.

If I had gotten here about post 2, I would have simply asked, "are you bragging or complaining"? Had the children around here call me whatever names they've learned in grade school, and been done with it.

The reason the thread is off topic, is because the TS dragged it off topic from the title forward. IMO, "why the thread is off topic", is a question you should be asking him.

So, in conclusion, you should use the same teaching methods you would on a male student. After all, members of the Homo Sapiens species, both male and female, are issued, 2 arms 8 fingers, and 2 thumbs at birth. If that count doesn't jibe in a student's case, then you have cause for a thread. Which quite frankly, I doubt would be titled, "a girl with 2 missing fingers on her left hand wants me to teach her guitar"! Capesh?
Last edited by Captaincranky at Oct 29, 2012,
JackJackSuited
32 IQ
Why is it any different than if he said "I'm teaching my friend to play" and then filled the OP with statements of "he"? Maybe the TS didn't use "friend" because she is not and thus didn't know what to call her and could have easily said "guy" if that was the case. Maybe the TS isn't even attracted to women at all.

People fill the OP with all sorts of information that is irrelevant to what they're asking with the purpose of painting a picture or being thorough or just not knowing how to ask without full disclosure. And generally those irrelevant pieces of information are ignored to address the real question, which in this case is how do you teach a beginner guitar?

The fact remains that for whatever reason the mention of a "girl" couldn't be handled maturely by many. Sexual tension or not, (and I see no purposeful reason to assume there is other than to sidetrack a guitar thread) there is such a thing as impulse control.
t1mman
411 IQ
Quote by Doku
Okay enough with the sexual comments guys. They are still as distasteful as they were before and they aren't getting any funnier. I would appreciate any advice I could get that would help me teach her better, so unless you have some advice to give me please don't post here.

I don't know why you're freaking out on this, it's a joke, humour, just for fun...

Everything you need to know to teach any newb was already told, the rest of this thread is only people either goofing around or talking about if it is relevent to state the sex of the person you're trying to teach to.