LicketyBritches
Registered User
Join date: Aug 2012
410 IQ
#1
I'm wiring up an EMG and the pickup is magnetic, but its not picking up anything, and its making a nasty buzz and I dont know where to start.

EMG 89 if that matters. 500k pot. can anyone help me out?

EDIT: I just read that it requires a 25k pot, so that might be part of the problem. but something was still screwy, sorry for the waste of a post, i will report back when i replace the pot
Last edited by LicketyBritches at Oct 25, 2012,
LicketyBritches
Registered User
Join date: Aug 2012
410 IQ
#3
well i actually started another thread asking about the jack. and it seems to be wired right, but that doesnt mean it is. ill post pictures as soon as i can
tobycm27
Registered User
Join date: Aug 2011
98 IQ
#5
if jack wiring is wrong then you wont get the buzz.

The buzz would happen if your wiring is somewhere wrong.. either a loose connection or a wrong connection.... (tone, volume , or switch)

recheck your wiring with the correct wiring diagram....
LicketyBritches
Registered User
Join date: Aug 2012
410 IQ
#6
here is the diagram im using:
http://www.sonic.net/~emgman/pdf/1%2089%201vol%20no%20tone.pdf

the only thing that is wee confusing, is apparently the ring is supposed to go to the battery, so i have it going to the negative of the battery, tip goes to the left most prong on the volume pot, and the ground going to the right most prong. if this right? im just wiring one 89 and a volume pot
LicketyBritches
Registered User
Join date: Aug 2012
410 IQ
#11
the red wire coming off the pickup is going to the battery, and the red wire coming off of the short (hot) prong of the jack is going to the right prong of the pot
LicketyBritches
Registered User
Join date: Aug 2012
410 IQ
#12
bump. anyone? the pickup is making sound, so it doesnt seem like its wired totally wrong, just maybe a little improperly. but i went through all my solder joints and they seem good.
metalhead352
UG's bacon strips
Join date: May 2011
535 IQ
#13
try the red wire on the jack going to the hot wire on the battery instead.
*insert witty statement here*
NotTheMessiah30
UG Fanatic
Join date: Sep 2012
741 IQ
#14
Quote by metalhead352
try the red wire on the jack going to the hot wire on the battery instead.


Don't do that!!!!
That'll send a horrible 9V DC charge directly to your amp!
LicketyBritches
Registered User
Join date: Aug 2012
410 IQ
#15
ok... didnt do that, but the guitar is just chillin because i havent figured out what the deal is, and i dont wanna make any worse. so does anyone have any insight?
metalhead352
UG's bacon strips
Join date: May 2011
535 IQ
#16
sorry man, confused black and red.
you sure you have the right diagram?/can you post it?
*insert witty statement here*
LicketyBritches
Registered User
Join date: Aug 2012
410 IQ
#20
well i have the long prong on the jack (ground) going to left prong of the volume pot. short prong on jack (hot) going to the right prong of the pot. and middle jack prong going to the negative of the battery.