....................................................................................................................................

(10/29) **UPDATE** CHOSE THE LES PAUL - review HERE !!

.......................................................................................................................................

Torn between three pre-owned guitars as a choice for a 2nd axe. My main guitar is a Wolfgang Standard, and I love it...but I keep it tuned half-step down for 80's stuff (VH / Dokken / etc, etc) and want another electric to keep in standard tuning.
I've narrowed it down to these t guitars simply because both sellers are willing to do a trade+cash deal (I'm asking for $400 credit for my trade item). I have NO preference of pickups / tone / features etc, etc.

Assuming all guitars play/perform exactly as they should, which guitar would YOU choose for YOU...and WHY. If you don't like any of them, you can choose "none of the above" as well.

Again...I know you cant choose FOR ME...I wanna know which one you would choose and the reason for your choice.

First Choice: 2006 Fender American Stratocaster, originally white, owner had it professionally refinished by a guitar shop - Mint (distressed) condition. Comes with tweed aftermarket HSC

COST: My trade (=$400 credit) + $200 CASH

Second Choice: 1998 Gibson USA Les Paul Special SL, Heritage Cherry - mint condition - no mods. Comes with SKB HSC.

COST: My trade + $150 CASH

Third Choice: Fender (MIM) Classic 50's Players Strat, Sonic Blue - excellent condition - EMG bridge pickup. Comes with Gator HSC.

COST: My trade + $100 CASH

Last edited by kidfixer at Oct 30, 2012,
We can't tell you what guitar is best for you based on a lack of preference in hardware or information about your style of play. Can you play them? The only way to make an informed choice is to play the guitars and see which feels best to you.
My stuff

Gibson Les Paul Studio
Ibanez ADC120
Tanglewood TGRF VS
Blackstar HT20
Roland Micro Cube
Can you try them?
HILT!

Where's Waldo?

Quote by lfcagger
We can't tell you what guitar is best for you based on a lack of preference in hardware or information about your style of play. Can you play them? The only way to make an informed choice is to play the guitars and see which feels best to you.

YOU MISSED THE POINT OF THE QUESTION. I just want to know what YOU would choose. If none of the above, you can choose that as well.

I have edited my OP to avoid further confusion.
Last edited by kidfixer at Oct 27, 2012,
The Les Paul is the best deal of the bunch in terms of money value, though not by much, and 550$ is pretty much the average used price. I have seen new american strats for 600 bucks, and i'd just haggle to get the classic player strat for a bit less.

For 600$ (I'm guessing that's the budget), I wouldn't get any of these. I'd find an american standard Tele or SG, though most likely a Tele because I already have a super cool american SG.

Another edit: That first choice is far from being mint condition.
Last edited by Darkflame at Oct 27, 2012,
Quote by Darkflame

For 600$ (I'm guessing that's the budget), I wouldn't get any of these. I'd find an american standard Tele or SG, though most likely a Tele because I already have a super cool american SG. .

Thanks for the reply.

The budget is $200 and someone willing to trade for what I have.

SG's are the shizzle, unfortunately I haven't found one so far.

I fu*king HATE Tele's, but I cant give you a good reason why...other than I don't care for the styling, I think they feel fragile, and I don't play Country music.
Quote by OliOsbourne
Can you try them?

I can only try all three if I pass on the first two the first time around, and I'd hate to lose out on a good trade deal before I could schedule another meeting with the seller. But obviously I wont go through with a deal if I'm not digging what I see in person!!

I kinda want to see what the consensus is here to maybe narrow it down to two...or even one choice. My biggest concern was on the American Strat because I cant find anything similar to campare it to. So I just don't know if its a good, average, or bad deal because I dont know what a custom "distressed" 2006 Am Strat is worth.
Quote by kidfixer
and I don't play Country music.

Neither does Tom Morello
My stuff

Gibson Les Paul Studio
Ibanez ADC120
Tanglewood TGRF VS
Blackstar HT20
Roland Micro Cube
Quote by kidfixer
Thanks for the reply.

The budget is $200 and someone willing to trade for what I have.

SG's are the shizzle, unfortunately I haven't found one so far.

I fu*king HATE Tele's, but I cant give you a good reason why...other than I don't care for the styling, I think they feel fragile, and I don't play Country music.

My tele is most likely my most solid guitar, and I used it a lot in the recordings you can find in my signature's bandcamp. Nothing sounds like country in there, as far as I can tell.
i'd probably get the first on the principle that HSS is most versatile (and also it's a USA strat whereas the last one is MIM and only has 21 frets)- but i dunno about that "relic" job. o_O
Quote by crownegamers
I saw in a couple of pictures that on Bucketheads Les Paul (only some pictures) that his neck pickup is painted in white. Can anyone explain to me why he would do this, and if there are any pros and cons.

Quote by dspellman
The guy wears a KFC Bucket and a white mask during performances, and you're interested in the color of his pickup covers?

Quote by Darkflame
My tele is most likely my most solid guitar, and I used it a lot in the recordings you can find in my signature's bandcamp. Nothing sounds like country in there, as far as I can tell.

Yeah, I was being a bit facetious with that comment. But you know how when you just get something in your head about a certain thing...a preconceived notion where you automatically associate one thing with another (like welfare and minorities, or AIDS and homosexuals)? Well that's what Telecasters and Country music are for me. When I see a Tele, I hear "Twang" and picture plaid shirts with pearloid snaps, big cowboy hats slim-fit and jeans and pointy boots.

I'm not saying its right, its just...well, it just is. Hell, once upon a time I wouldn't even consider a non-humbucker, single-coil Strat...so I'm making progress!!
Quote by Dave_Mc

<snip> but i dunno about that "relic" job. o_O

That was my biggest concern as well. Did he destroy the resale value of that guitar? Is $600 too much?

Actually I'm only paying $500-$550 because I'd only be able to get $300-$350 for what I'm trading him (and I only paid $390 for it new, so I'm technically making $10 on the trade)!! Either way, he isn't gonna budge on the price because he spent a good deal of money having the shop do the natural/distress finish. And now its nitrocellulose lacquer finish instead of poly-paint...not that that really matters much to me, but I guess its a big deal to some folks.
I've got a 97 Les Paul Double Cut. I think it's a Studio model, everything about it is great. If that 98 LP Special is anything similar in build quality and pickups (I'm guessing it is) then I'd say go for that.
Quote by 2PtDescartes
I've got a 97 Les Paul Double Cut. I think it's a Studio model, everything about it is great. If that 98 LP Special is anything similar in build quality and pickups (I'm guessing it is) then I'd say go for that.

Its VERY similar to an SG because it uses a flat-slab mahogany body (with no maple cap) and the 490R/498T humbucker combo. Probably sounds a bit fuller because body is thicker than the SG, but other than that you're right on the money!!

Thanks for the input!!
Quote by kidfixer
That was my biggest concern as well. Did he destroy the resale value of that guitar? Is $600 too much?

Actually I'm only paying $500-$550 because I'd only be able to get $300-$350 for what I'm trading him (and I only paid $390 for it new, so I'm technically making $10 on the trade)!! Either way, he isn't gonna budge on the price because he spent a good deal of money having the shop do the natural/distress finish. And now its nitrocellulose lacquer finish instead of poly-paint...not that that really matters much to me, but I guess its a big deal to some folks.

Knowing that a real shop did the distress job (not some dude in his garage who didn't know what he was doing) this one would be my first choice. I would take an American Standard Strat over a Les Paul Special or MIM Strat any day of the week. Add to that the HSS setup, which is the most versatile of the bunch. Plus, if you have to sell it later on, you can always spin the distress job as a "custom finish" since it was done at a real shop. You might find some people who don't like that, but there are plenty of people out there that will see that as a plus.
Current Gear:
2002 Gibson Les Paul Standard
'57 AVRI Fender Stratocaster
MIJ Fender Jaguar Special HH
Marshall JVM410
Vox AC15 C2
$400? Used G&L ASAT HB.

Quote by EyeNon15
Thats too bad, I was under the impression I was arguing something profound

1 3 5 R
2 4 6
For me, I'd go with the Les Paul. I've got a US made LP & I absolutely love it.

As a rule, you should never choose a Mexican made Fender over a US made one. I've owned an MIA Fender Strat in the past & thought it was 'meh' - to me it was average at everything, great at nothing....but then I'm just not a Strat guy.

Gibson LP Traditional, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm > TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
i've never tried the two lace singlecoils side by side as a humbucker, how does that sound?

i'd probably go for the LP if it played well.
Why don't they make mouse flavored cat food?
Quote by kidfixer

yep that's the worry

as 57Goldtop said, the fact a shop did it is better than the guy doing it himself, but (a) is he telling the truth? and (b) it's not like having a shop do it guarantees they won't muck it up, either
Quote by crownegamers
I saw in a couple of pictures that on Bucketheads Les Paul (only some pictures) that his neck pickup is painted in white. Can anyone explain to me why he would do this, and if there are any pros and cons.

Quote by dspellman
The guy wears a KFC Bucket and a white mask during performances, and you're interested in the color of his pickup covers?

It sounds like you don't know what you like in a guitar. Forget versatility as far as PUs go, the Fender vs Gibson is also about feel. Fenders have a longer scale, more resistance to bends/vibrato, clearer string definition, generally smaller fretboard radius and strings close to the body.
Gibsons have amore vocal quality, the smaller scale lends itself to easier bends/vibrato and the notes blend more together than stand out. The flatter radius is also very different for chords and the increased string height feels different for picking.
I owned a very nice MIA Strat Plus (precursor to the Deluxe) from 1993 (bought new) till 2004. It was by all definition a great Strat, then I played a Les Paul and that was it for me.
Both guitars are great icons but different enough that you will most likely prefer one over the other, you just have to find out which one.
On a side note a new MIM Strat is $500 so if the one above is used, it should be selling for $350 - $400 tops so in my mind it's between the first 2.
Moving on.....
I've owned both brands. The Pauls a nice axe,but hand it around your neck for a couple of sets,and you'll be glad to put it down! Its a Brick! I'd go with the American Strat,but thats only my opinion. Either guitars a very good Guitar..but you deside which feels the best. Enough Said.
Quote by KenG
On a side note a new MIM Strat is $500 so if the one above is used, it should be selling for $350 - $400 tops so in my mind it's between the first 2.

Actually, that one is a Classic Players, which goes for $700-$800 new if I'm remembering correctly. But yeah, either way, I'd choose the MIA Strat. Just because I'm more of a strat person than a LP person. I could do without the distressed paint job, though, but if relics are your thing, you should go for it.
I would choose the first strat.

The first reason would be because I don't like Les Pauls without that trim sort of thing on the outside of the body.

The Second reason would be because is that that strat is the most versatile out of all three. and I assume that your wolfgang would give you a tone more similar to the les paul, thus buying a guitar with a similar tone to what you have might be a bit pointless.

You really need to decide what you're looking for though, and try out at least one of the strats and the les paul. They both have very different sounds and feels that can't be completely replicated on the other.
That AMS Strat looks tasty, but in the end, I'd probably go with the Les Paul. They feel and play great, and you can play just about whatever you want on them and still get good tone.
I am sorry for anything I created on this forum in 2012. Including my pretentious username.
The MIM, if it is a Classic Players, is a pretty good guitar. If it were me it would depend on how much I liked the relic job. If it sets well with me I would take the AMS. After that, I would consider the MIM if the price were right.
Ibanez SR1200E
GOT THE LES PAUL!!

I decided I didn't care for the aesthetics of the MIM Strat, and the seller of the Am Strat left for a trip to Vegas and was unable to meet with me until Friday, so I went to check out the LP.

I liked what I saw, offered the seller $100 + my acoustic (equivalent to $400)...and he accepted!! I'm very pleased with my choice (detailed review to follow).

Thanks again for all the input, guys...much appreciated.

Dave
Congrats man, that Les Paul is pretty good looking. I'm just more of a Fender person. I hope you really enjoy that guitar. Can't wait for the review.
nice
Quote by crownegamers

Quote by dspellman

Quote by Axe Murderer
Blah..

Shoulda went Strat!

Funny you mention that. There is something about that American Strat that keeps drawing my attention. I know some folks here suggested I avoid it, but I like the look of it.

I plan make a cash offer on it IF the seller will let my guitar shop inspect it prior to purchase. If the Luther says its REAL (and not PartsCaster), I'm gonna offer $500.

Hell, I spent more than that on Van Halen tickets and the show SUCKED!!
Last edited by kidfixer at Oct 30, 2012,