Page 2 of 5
all of 2001
"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils. The motions of his spirit are dull as night, and his affections dark as Erebus. Let no such man be trusted."
Almost every single scene in Sunshine.

Does slightly ruin it when you discover that the Sun is actually white, not yellow, but alas.
...Stapling helium to penguins since 1949.
Prometheus, definitely, as well as the seventh seal and Pan's Labyrinth. Sin City has a pretty cool style. And obviously the very first scene of The Godfather.

Edit: Looking back on the thread, I pretty much agree with everything in Pagan_Poetry's first post.

Maybe too obvious a choice would be Avatar, 300 or Inception but hey, all that money paid off.
Last edited by whywefight at Oct 28, 2012,
Quote by whywefight
Prometheus, definitely, as well as the seventh seal and Pan's Labyrinth. Sin City has a pretty cool style. And obviously the very first scene of The Godfather.

Edit: Looking back on the thread, I pretty much agree with everything in Pagan_Poetry's first post.

Maybe too obvious a choice would be Avatar, 300 or Inception but hey, all that money paid off.

I'll give Avatar some credit in that its effects are good. 300 is definitely great too, but I think for all of those it's more about mise en scene than camera work. In which case Michel Gondry deserves a huge mention, especially Science of Sleep and Eternal Sunshine.

EDIT: Actually 300 isn't all about art design too.
Last edited by ali.guitarkid7 at Oct 28, 2012,
Quote by whywefight

Actually, I had to present 6 images and talk about them for my public speaking class on Monday. This thread has made me decide to talk about the power of cinematography in movies.

Thank you TS, your inspiration has helped me

Quote by ali.guitarkid7
I'll give Avatar some credit in that its effects are good. 300 is definitely great too, but I think for all of those it's more about mise en scene than camera work. In which case Michel Gondry deserves a huge mention, especially Science of Sleep and Eternal Sunshine.

EDIT: Actually 300 isn't all about art design too.

This. Sweet CGI effects are one thing, but truly capturing something through colours and lighting and placement on camera is something truly magnificent if done well.
Last edited by Pagan_Poetry at Oct 28, 2012,
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
I don't care what you thought of Prometheus, the visuals were pretty constantly mindblowing.

They were indeed!

Quote by Todd Hart
Does slightly ruin it when you discover that the Sun is actually white, not yellow, but alas.

Actually, because of the photosphere (outermost layer of the Sun), the Sun does actually appear yellow to the human eye, even in space.
Last edited by crazysam23_Atax at Oct 28, 2012,
In The Neverending Story, the shot of the Ivory Tower. Also, all of Pan's Labyrinth, The Imaginarium Of Doctor Parnassus, and the ending shot in Shutter Island (the lighthouse).
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
I don't care what you thought of Prometheus, (I loved it, still one of my favorite films of the year) the visuals were pretty constantly mindblowing.

Also Sunshine, but unfortunately I can't find any images to do it justice.

Hated the film, but the visuals were absolutely stunning.

Also, here are a few good ones from Sunshine

Still doesn't really do the movie justice though.
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
Actually, because of the photosphere (outermost layer of the Sun), the Sun does actually appear yellow to the human eye, even in space.

I thought the sun was actually white (hence the white light it gives off) and only appeared yellow/orange due to Rayleigh scattering in the Earths atmosphere.
...Stapling helium to penguins since 1949.
The intro scene in Begotten where a perpetually shaking and jittery god disembowels himself with a straight razor
Can't find a picture of it, but in LOTR, in the Woodland Realm.
When they show how all those lit up "stairways" go up the trees, just looks totally awesome to me.
fuck you guys and your sunshine

i lost my copy and im really sad because such a good movie

agree with no country

drive looks amazing, another favorite of mine

~don't finkdinkle when ur supposed to be dimpdickin~
Last edited by Primus2112 at Oct 28, 2012,
Quote by Kensai
Kung fu movies from the 2000s period were aesthetically very nice.

Screenshot.jpg x 6
Came here to post this. You should really watch Hero, TS, the visuals are just fantastic and it's obvious that they're were thought through...
Mulholland Drive!
Quote by Dirtydeeds468
Holy Crap.

I love you more than life itself.
I watched Cidade de Deus for the first time last week, theres some brilliant camera work in there
Drive is my favourite movie! Great film.

I would also say David Lynch's Lost Highway but it's more aesthetically interesting than pleasing .. almost uncomfortable actually haha
Quote by seljer
I watched Cidade de Deus for the first time last week, theres some brilliant camera work in there

My favourite film that.
Quote by K'Nuckles
Anything with Scarlett Johansson.

Lost in Translation was really beautifully shot as well as having her in it. Aesthetically pleasing indeed.

Last edited by Bob_Sacamano at Oct 28, 2012,

Pan is such a beautiful creation.

Silent Hill was very aesthetically pleasing.
VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
Patterns In The Ivy present ethnicity on an intriguing and dedicated level. ~Ambient Exotica
A mesmeric melange of yearning voice, delicate piano and carefully chosen samples. ~Lost Voices
the silent shots of the ships in Alien and Moon i always find pleasing, though i'm having trouble finding some

edit: the whole of Hero is pretty amazing too. the use of different colours in each story always blows me away
Last edited by Demons&Wizards at Oct 28, 2012,
Quote by willT08
How has nobody said The Godfather yet?

Yes they have
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Quote by willT08
Psssh, if I ain't see it, it ain't been put.

Actually this was the only one.

Quote by whywefight

Could have sworn someone had posted pics though.

I feel like I'm going crazy.
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Quote by Diamond Dave
Ooo, good one. I reckon Life is even better though!

Frozen Planet.
Quote by K'Nuckles
I've got the double series box set on Bluray. Awwwww yeah.

as in Life and Planet Earth together?

I only have Life on bluray

Quote by willT08
Frozen Planet.

too much white
Last edited by Diamond Dave at Oct 28, 2012,
I have Planet Earth on Blue Ray. It's **** beautiful

Wow, there is a severe lack of good pictures of that show on Google Images
___

Quote by The_Blode
Last edited by WCPhils at Oct 28, 2012,