Blenkinsop
10 IQ
Basically i was looking for some help. I currently have one guitar, I have a Ibanez RG350DX that has a tremelo (can't go to a lower tuning because of it, i want to keep my guitar in E/drop d for obvious reasons) however i want to add to my collection but i have come at a cross roads. I can listen from thrash to metalcore and i try and play a lot of it. I currently use my Ibanez for E standard and Drop D tunings.

I am looking to get another guitar so i can adjust to a more lower tuning however i am not sure whether or not to get a 6 string with a heavy gauge string set so i can maybe reach half a step down (slayerish tuning) to the highest i could go? Maybe even having drop d as the highest it could go, im not sure. What would be the biggest gap i could reach with a heavier string set?

I have recently looked at a few seven string guitars, however i still do not understand the tunings. BEADGBE < A normal six string with an extra B right? Could that lets say, be tuned into Machine Head's Drop B? Or some other lower tuning that Parkway would use? Or into C flat for Lamb of god's new album? I've searched but no where has given me a clear answer on this.

Regards
Blenkinsop
Dayn
227 IQ
If you wanted to use drop B, and keeping the seventh string as a B, you'll have to tune the other strings up a whole tone. If you didn't want to tune up, the highest drop tuning you could use would be drop A. Unless you wanted to drop your E string and your low B string. Or you could simply learn to play drop B songs in B standard instead.

I'm biased, so I'm going to say go for a seven-string.
Ibanez RG2228 w/ EMG808Xs | Line 6 POD HD500 | Mackie HD1221
Lavatain
5150 III Enthusiast
233 IQ
It would be a bad idea to get a 7 string and tune it up to Drop B. That'd mean raising the highest 6 strings up a whole tone, which is a bad idea generally speaking. Get a 6 string with heavier gauge strings. What gauge strings are you using for your ibanez in standard/drop d?
Offworld92
One among the fence.
520 IQ
Quote by Lavatain
It would be a bad idea to get a 7 string and tune it up to Drop B. That'd mean raising the highest 6 strings up a whole tone, which is a bad idea generally speaking. Get a 6 string with heavier gauge strings. What gauge strings are you using for your ibanez in standard/drop d?

+1
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Ultima117
100 IQ
If you want a drop b to drop d range definately go with a 6 six string and if you want lighter gauge go with a 25.5 scale length guitar. As the others said a 7 string is not what you're lookin for (:

And Warpig I tune to drop F with my baritone (: its awesome!
GEAR:
EVH 5150 III 50 Watt
EVH Wah Pedal
EVH Wolfgang Special in vintage white
Chapman Ghost Fret Satin blue w/Nazgul and Sentient p.u.
PRS SE Mike Mushok Baritone w/emg 81,85
Blueridge BR-183A acoustic
Austin174
70 IQ
I would go with a six string in your situation. I have a seven string an I'm gonna be tuning to Drop B as I play alot of All Shall Perish which already said tuning up is not the best option.

I use .11-.56 strings on my six string an can go as low as Drop A.
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Ibanez RG7321
Peavey Vyper 15w
Peavey 6505+ 112
Dayn
227 IQ
I'll chime in and say that tuning up is an option; at least, if you're only going as high as drop B. You just need lighter strings is all. You'll end up with a high F# string which should be easy enough to get. I've gotten a high G with an .008 on a 27" neck, so getting F# on a shorter scale would be easy.

You also don't have to tune everything up. You could tune the lowest six strings to a normal six-string drop B tuning, and have a high E string instead of F#. You'll have a minor third interval on top instead of a perfect fourth, and that can give some interesting phrasing opportunities. If you're willing to consider it, of course.
Ibanez RG2228 w/ EMG808Xs | Line 6 POD HD500 | Mackie HD1221
EspTro
210 IQ
7 string
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
jeleopard
Jackson Fanboy!
170 IQ
7 and play it in Standard.

I'm having more fun on my 7 than on my Jackson... which is almost upsetting...
Legion!
Original 1969 Fender Jazzmaster
Ibanez RG8
Jackson JS32R Dinky "Curry"
Schecter KM7
83 Gibson Explorer "Kimmy"
MiM Fender Jazz Bass "Pancho"
Ibanez SR485
Peavey 6505+ 112
Line 6 POD HD500