food1010
Bassist
285 IQ
I have an Ampeg BA-115 bass amp. I've always gotten a little bit of static from the amp, but it was always a minor issue so I never did anything about it. Recently I've been getting some loss of signal (not a complete cut-out, just a little bit less output). I wiggled the chord a bit in the input jack and found I could get the static to go away and get full output. My only conclusion is that there is a loose connection in the input jack.

Now I have no idea if the issue is from the jack itself, the solder joints on the circuit board, or if there is a tear in the foil on the circuit board. My first instinct was just to buy a new input jack and replace the old one but now I'm wondering if this can be fixed without a whole new part.

Thoughts?
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea
R45VT
Doesn't speak guitar
110 IQ
Depends on which part is bad/worn.

Just replace it. Even if you bend a prong back chances are it will do it again.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
See, it's important that people clarify when they say "metal", because I pretty much always assume they are a Cannibal Corpse fanboi.
fly135
Cheap Gear Enthusiast
60 IQ
Probably the solder joint just needs to be heated and reflowed. All the pots and jacks may need it.
KrymsinViking
30 IQ
Have you checked that its not the cord? Iv had that exact problem when my cables have gotten worn out. Make sure it happens with multiple cables before you go messing with your jack.
food1010
Bassist
285 IQ
So I ordered a new jack but it was the wrong part. Here's a picture of the old and new parts side by side:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/dg44eifkpz7mpqk/2012-11-07%2016.25.53.jpg
The old part is the one on the left.

I just ordered this part: http://grangeramp.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_13&products_id=420
Does that look right to you?
-Chick Corea
R45VT
Doesn't speak guitar
110 IQ
At least that jack is PCB mount. More correct than the last one.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
See, it's important that people clarify when they say "metal", because I pretty much always assume they are a Cannibal Corpse fanboi.
food1010
Bassist
285 IQ
Quote by R45VT
At least that jack is PCB mount. More correct than the last one.
Haha, well I guess I'll just have to wait until it arrives.
-Chick Corea
Robbgnarly
Tab Contributor
290 IQ
Quote by KrymsinViking
Have you checked that its not the cord? Iv had that exact problem when my cables have gotten worn out. Make sure it happens with multiple cables before you go messing with your jack.

+1
Use a diff cable and see if it still has the issue.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
food1010
Bassist
285 IQ
The second part I ordered isn't right either. I wired it in and there was no output.
-Chick Corea
R45VT
Doesn't speak guitar
110 IQ
Quote by food1010
The second part I ordered isn't right either. I wired it in and there was no output.

Is the picture of the original still working?? It's not loading for me.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr