New Medicine
60 IQ
I will only go 200$ and ive decided on Scheter...Not sure why Im just set in stone dont argue...its the guitarist in me. It will be my first real guitar I hada crappy squier that was BAD for Hard rock and Metal like A7X and GNR. So

http://www.guitarcenter.com/In-Store-Used-USED-SCHECTER-DAMIEN-FR--734-052712-107803796-i2542593.gc

vs.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/In-Store-Used-USED-SCHECTOR-HELLRAISER-DAMIEN-6-107807922-i2550331.gc

vs.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/In-Store-Used-USED-SCHECTER-C-1-STANDARD-GREAT-8-7-12-108004696-i2667811.gc

2nd looks the best but I think 3rd probably is the best overal guitar...not quite sure though what do you guys think? or all they all basically the same?
Huge Guy
My muscles sure are mean!
70 IQ
I don't know anything about Schechters but they all appear to have different pickups. Do you know what they are?
jeleopard
Jackson Fanboy!
170 IQ
200 won't get you very far...

And really "best" is a suggestive. To me, they're all unfavorable; I don't like Schecter guitars (but their basses... yum....)
Legion!
Original 1969 Fender Jazzmaster
Ibanez RG8
Jackson JS32R Dinky "Curry"
Schecter KM7
83 Gibson Explorer "Kimmy"
MiM Fender Jazz Bass "Pancho"
Ibanez SR485
Peavey 6505+ 112
Line 6 POD HD500
New Medicine
60 IQ
The first and second have EMG HZ-H4/H4A i believe and the third has
Duncan Designed HB-102b/HB-101n i believe
lemurflames
Ronnie
40 IQ
Save up a few more $ and come back. $500 will get you A LOT of guitar in the used market.
Ibanez RG652KFX Prestige
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
jeleopard
Jackson Fanboy!
170 IQ
The second one does not have EMGs.

Honestly, get the 2nd or 3rd. Floyd Roses are kinda... obnoxious. If you know what to expect with one, go for one, but they're a headache (But VERY fun!)
Legion!
Ibanez RG8
Schecter KM7
Ibanez SR485
Peavey 6505+ 112
Line 6 POD HD500
New Medicine
60 IQ
I cant save 500$ I have college coming up and other things...growing up sucks. Maybe 300$ at the best
jeleopard
Jackson Fanboy!
170 IQ
Maybe wait or get a job in college? Or, hell, Christmas in 2 months... Or other religious holiday....
Legion!
Ibanez RG8
Schecter KM7
Ibanez SR485
Peavey 6505+ 112
Line 6 POD HD500
New Medicine
60 IQ
Haha i do have a job but still 500 is pushin it especially for what now is just a hobby no band or anything. And maybe if i just ask for a guitar and add my money to it...we'll see. Ill be back in a month and see what I got
jeleopard
Jackson Fanboy!
170 IQ
Cause you'll need an amp too
Legion!
Ibanez RG8
Schecter KM7
Ibanez SR485
Peavey 6505+ 112
Line 6 POD HD500
dannyalcatraz
Black Cherry Jello
250 IQ
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

alhaq369
It is very impotent to success a business.
FenrirFangs
20 IQ
Even if you only save for $300, you can get way better deals. I got a Gibson Les Paul Studio for $400 used and then traded it straight up for a modded Jackson RR24. Save your cash. The pickups in all 3 guitars blow.

Look for a better deal.
Offworld92
One among the fence.
520 IQ
Out of the three, definitely the C-1 Standard. The Damien and Hellraiser have shitty pickups for sure. On the C-1, because they're covered, there's a *slight* chance they might be something good. But even if not, they won't be worst than HZs or Schecter stocks.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Wesbanez
Registered Abuser
120 IQ
Quote by New Medicine
It will be my first real guitar

No, it won't. Whilst it may be more suited to the styles of music you want to play, a $200 Schecter is not a "real" guitar compared to your old Squier. Compared to a block of wood, yes, but not a Squier.

The following advice gets dished out every time, because most of us have been through this at some stage or another and ALWAYS wished we'd listened and saved a little more:

Don't blow $200 on a non upgrade, save an extra $100-200 and go used. You'll get some superb axes for the extra $$$.
lemurflames
Ronnie
40 IQ
Quote by Wesbanez
No, it won't. Whilst it may be more suited to the styles of music you want to play, a $200 Schecter is not a "real" guitar compared to your old Squier. Compared to a block of wood, yes, but not a Squier.

The following advice gets dished out every time, because most of us have been through this at some stage or another and ALWAYS wished we'd listened and saved a little more:

Don't blow $200 on a non upgrade, save an extra $100-200 and go used. You'll get some superb axes for the extra $$$.

Plus. ****ing. One.

+1

I've been there. Regret it. Oh well.
Ibanez RG652KFX Prestige
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
t1mman
30 IQ
Of all those, I think the SCHECTER HELLRAISER DAMIEN 6 looks the best.

but it is sollely based on the look. If you have tried a shecter in the past and like the feel of it, then go for it. When you want to go the "extra miles", consider upgrading the pikcup and it will probably last you a while.

I used to have a Damien-7 with a pair of Seymour Duncan SH-8 and, even if I hated the neck, it sounded really awesome!
FenrirFangs
20 IQ
Quote by New Medicine
Well I have an amp so I just need a guitar. So 300-350 used would be a good start?

Much better. Most definitely go used. You can get some AWESOME guitars for $350 used. And I mean totally KILLER!
jeleopard
Jackson Fanboy!
170 IQ
Quote by New Medicine
Well I have an amp so I just need a guitar. So 300-350 used would be a good start?

You should get a BETTER amp. Your sound will still be shitty if you play through a shitty amp.
Legion!
Ibanez RG8
Schecter KM7
Ibanez SR485
Peavey 6505+ 112
Line 6 POD HD500
J_W
10 IQ
Quote by jeleopard
You should get a BETTER amp. Your sound will still be shitty if you play through a shitty amp.

He hasn't even mentioned what amp he has.
dannyalcatraz
Black Cherry Jello
250 IQ
True, but what are the odds?
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

alhaq369
J_W
10 IQ
Quote by dannyalcatraz
True, but what are the odds?

He's playing a Squier through a Splawn!

Not very good...probably a Line 6
jeleopard
Jackson Fanboy!
170 IQ
Quote by J_W
He hasn't even mentioned what amp he has.

Looks like I confused this thread with another XD
Legion!
Ibanez RG8
Schecter KM7
Ibanez SR485
Peavey 6505+ 112
Line 6 POD HD500
J_W
10 IQ
Quote by jeleopard
Looks like I confused this thread with another XD

There is a real good chance it's good advice here too though.
t1mman
30 IQ
Anyway, I don't get the comotion around the amp and pickup, they're about the easyest thing to change.

And, most likely, unless you play in a band, you'd better be with an "emulator", like a Vypyr or a line 6 and you'll have plenty to play around with.

I think it's more important to find an instrument you feel comfortable with. And, eventually, grow into a new set of pickup, a nice valve amp and define your tone with this.
Huge Guy
My muscles sure are mean!
70 IQ
Have you tried Craig's List? You might be able to find something decent used, cheaper than you'd pay at a place like Guitar Center. You can probably find a 15W amp used on CL for $30-40 too.
nickdohle
Let's a go Mario!
100 IQ
I scored a vintage Japanese Epiphone for 100 bucks with a hardshell case. Guy didnt know what he had. Which was great for me.

Took everything I had to keep a straight face when he was telling me that Epiphones are just Gibsons that dont pass QC so the stamp the Epi name on it. I lold so hard when I got back in my truck.

TS, take your time. Play your little Squier until you got at least 300 saved. In the used world, 50 extra bucks can go along way. Especially 150 bucks. Be patient. Lurk Cragslist. And more importantly, ask the ass holes on this forum if its a good deal. Haha. We may be jerks, but we know our shit. Most of the time.
New Medicine
60 IQ
Im playing through amplitube and a set of studio headphones. Go ahead and bust on it but I love the tones I am getting. Everything else was to large or expensive for what I needed
dannyalcatraz
Black Cherry Jello
250 IQ
Hey, that's basically how I started- I had a Dean Special Select EVO and a Time Capsule Cadillac played through a Korg Px4 and good headphones.

After a while of doing that, I bought a 40w Fender HRD 1x12 combo...but I still use my Korg Pandoras for practice (I now have a Px5).

The point is, though, you won't notice a significant difference in tonal quality playing through your device or a cheap amp unless you MASSIVELY upgrade the guitar.

I can easily tell the tonal difference between my Deans through my Korgs, but there is more than a $1000 price gap between them. Played through my Fender, though, you can tell the difference between a $200 guitar and a $500 guitar with the same ease. The better electronics simply reveal more of true character of the instruments.

alhaq369
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Oct 31, 2012,
samuraigoomba
50 IQ
Save a bit more. I made the mistake when I was getting into playing of just grabbing something cheap that felt okay. Yeah, that action was alright, but the tuners are garbage, the guitar has blah sound, no range and feels cheap.

If you buy another cheap guitar, even a slight upgrade (a mistake I also made, lol), it won't help. If you want a decent guitar, save up and spend the 300-400 for a good used guitar. You find some quality stuff on the used market for pretty cheap.

I have a cheap Schecter and the neck, high action and huge bolt-on piece piss me off. Have you played Schecters? You might find (as I did) that you really don't like them.