Page 1 of 3
Charvel1995
Ronda Rousey Fanboy
130 IQ
I'm getting kind of tired of my 6505+. When I first got it, I loved the thing to death, but now I'm kind of tired of the cleans being consistently dirty, and as much as I lvoe the OD channel, I think it's time for a change.

I've been considering trading it or selling it to fund an Orange Tiny Terror http://www.long-mcquade.com/products/7778/Guitars/Guitar_Amps/Orange_Amplifiers/Tiny_Terror.htm

Or, a Jim Rot Signature Tiny Terror http://www.long-mcquade.com/products/17747/Guitars/Guitar_Amps/Orange_Amplifiers/Orange_4_Jim_Root_Tiny_Terror_Head.htm

Jim Root has always been my number one favourite guitar player, and I love his tone in both Stone Sour and Slipknot, and the fact he uses Orange amps makes them a solid choice in my mind.

I'll most likely have the chance to play through the Tiny Terror, possibly the Jim Root Signature, though I'll have to check store availability.
I've always wanted an Orange amp, I guess I'm a bit of a closet fanboy.

Any thoughts on this?

I've heard the cleans on the Tiny Terror can be pretty wonderful, and I have a Tubescreamer I can use for a boost if I wanted to. The cleans on my 6505+ seem to be consistently dirty, and I'm slowly figuring out that this amp isn't really right for me.

How comparable is the Tiny Terror/Jim Root to my 6505+?

If I were to sell the 6505+ would $1000 be a fair asking price? It's in like new condition, never been gigged, or left my room for that matter. Tubes are still in great condition as well.

Budget: As of now, nothing. If I'm able to sell the 6505+ between $800-$1000, or a straight up trade amp-amp
Sound: NWOBHM, Stone Sour, Classic Rock, a BIT of Metalcore
Used or new: Either or, not too picky
Home, maybe gig once in a while, like a coffeehouse performance or the like
Closest city: London, ON, Stratford ON, Canada
Main Rig:

Epiphone MKH Les Paul Custom 7 - Ronda
Ibanez RG8 "Scarlet" - AKA The Rambanez
Fender Strat "Danielle"/"Dani"
Line 6 POD HD Pro
Randall XL 4x12

Come join us...

Purchase list: Jim Root Tele, Jim Root Jazzmaster, MTM20
Last edited by Charvel1995 at Oct 31, 2012,
nickdohle
Let's a go Mario!
100 IQ
First of all, go play the oranges. Id ask for 1,100 and advertise the like new condition. Though I doubt youll see an offer much higher than 950 bucks.

6505s are great amps. But the clean channel really hurts it. Maybe you should grab a chorus pedal before selling it?

If your searching for metal and cleans, a Tiny Terror isnt what you want.
Sid McCall
(Actually, I'm Scott)
110 IQ
Quote by Charvel1995
I've heard the cleans on the Tiny Terror can be pretty wonderful, and I have a Tubescreamer I can use for a boost if I wanted to. The cleans on my 6505+ seem to be consistently dirty, and I'm slowly figuring out that this amp isn't really right for me.

You've heard wrong. The Tiny Terror has some basic cleans at low levels, but at any sort of gigging volume, they are gritty and overdriven, aka no longer clean. Even when I had a Dual Terror (30w) it was hard to keep the cleans going at a loud volume, although manageable.

If you need cleans, look elsewhere. That said, any of the Terror amps are fantastic and I recommend you play them all. The Dual Terror may be better for you, but the Jim Root Terror has a lot of cool things going for it.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
nickdohle
Let's a go Mario!
100 IQ
Alright now that that mess is out of the way,

Budget?
Desired sound?
Used or new?
Home or Gig?
Closest city if used?
Charvel1995
Ronda Rousey Fanboy
130 IQ
I already have a chorus pedal, and it doesn't really get me where I want.

The clean channel isn't really as clean as I'm looking for.

It's not that I'm searching for both, but they'd both be nice. My 6505+ plus is amazing for metal core, and ny sort of modern metal tone, but it's a little too much power for what I want, 120 Watts is far more than what I need.

It's a bit too heavy for me to take anywhere, and it's just overal too much power. I'm finding that more and more all I get from it is BFMV, OM&M, MMF, and other metal core tones. I like the core, don't get me wrong, but I want something a little more British flavouring so to speak. My Maiden, Saxon, and X Japan tone suffers through it.
Even selling it for $950 would let me buy the Orange head, plus hav nearly $200 left over after taxes. I could put it into pickup or something if I truly wanted
Main Rig:

Line 6 POD HD Pro
Randall XL 4x12

Come join us...

Perverockstar69
270 IQ
AFAIK Cleans on the terror series are not that great, specially on high volumes.
Answer these questions and we will be able to help you better https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1387138.

I don't think $1000 would be fair, at least if you are on the US. Is it a head or a combo? Maybe a little bit less?

Mesa Royal Atlantic
Laney LC15R
Emperor 4x12 Silver Bells
Gibson SG Standard
LTD Viper-500
Catalinbread Ottava Magus
Jim Dunlop CFH
MXR Carbon Copy
EHX Epitome
EHX Superego
Fuzz Hugger Algal Bloom
Way Huge Fat Sandwich
Last edited by Perverockstar69 at Oct 31, 2012,
nickdohle
Let's a go Mario!
100 IQ
Grab a used JCM 2000 DSL. It wont get you metalcore tones. But replace the tubes with JJs it will get pretty heavy. Iron Maiden, and other classic british metal bands will be easy to get.

As for metal, I can get mine with an overdrive pretty heavy. Not tight, djent or metalcore. But Tool, or alternative metals. Plus they have a great clean channel.

Dont buy a new DSL
ihartfood
Potato Faced Blind Man
50 IQ
they can too djent! with a TS-9 on the Lead 2 channel and a 7 string. you bet they can!

for $950, you could get a Orange TH30 head B-stock or new from Humbucker Music. but that's just an idea. I would take one over a Jim Root any day.

i strongly suggest you look used, you'll save way more money.
here's some general amps suggestions:

Egnater Vengeance
Egnater Armageddon
Orange TH30
Marshall DSL50
Marshall DSL100
I mean, I guess the jim root terror. but it won't have good cleans at anywhere near gigging volumes.

Why are you using a tele through a 6505+ anyway...hahaha, it better have a dimebucker in it.
nickdohle
Let's a go Mario!
100 IQ
Well I can get them pretty heavy. I dont play Djent, and have never tried so that my be why Ive never gotten it out of the amp. Haha.

And TS, I love my mids, but the DSL does have a mid scoop button if you're into that blasphemy.
Charvel1995
Ronda Rousey Fanboy
130 IQ
Quote by ihartfood
they can too djent! with a TS-9 on the Lead 2 channel and a 7 string. you bet they can!

for $950, you could get a Orange TH30 head B-stock or new from Humbucker Music. but that's just an idea. I would take one over a Jim Root any day.

i strongly suggest you look used, you'll save way more money.
here's some general amps suggestions:

Egnater Vengeance
Egnater Armageddon
Orange TH30
Marshall DSL50
Marshall DSL100
I mean, I guess the jim root terror. but it won't have good cleans at anywhere near gigging volumes.

Why are you using a tele through a 6505+ anyway...hahaha, it better have a dimebucker in it.

I also have a Jackson Rhoads with humbuckers in it, just not listed in my sig. Also, ordering online is NOT an option. I can rule out Egnater already. Marshall is possible, but I'm not a huge Marshall fan

My local shop (in my town) only carries little things, like the MG50, Line 6 Spider IV, and stuff like that.

The other closest stores are Long-McQuade and Walters Music
Main Rig:

Line 6 POD HD Pro
Randall XL 4x12

Come join us...

mmjohn
Call me John
110 IQ
Check out an Egnater Renegade it'll cover everything your looking for....
50 IQ
Quote by Charvel1995
I also have a Jackson Rhoads with humbuckers in it, just not listed in my sig. Also, ordering online is NOT an option.

Ok, have you been to any local shops? What do they have in stock?

and a renegade isn't really what he's looking for. they're not geared towards metalcore or modern metal although they do have good cleans and good drive.
leigh596
Gaming and Guitar
140 IQ
the new dsl's that they have brought out sound pretty good, check them out, really affordable too. think its 40 and 15 watt head and combos!
My Rig
Fender Blacktop Strat HH MN > Joyo JF-01 Vintage Overdrive > Boss ME50 > Line 6 Spider IV 30

Other Shit
Jim Deacon Acoustic
Yamaha 12 string acoustic

New Amp Fund
£300/700
Raijouta
Actually called Dylan
120 IQ
I'd recommend you get an EVH 5150 III 50w, they're considerably more versatile than the 6505/Peavey 5150 series amps.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Charvel1995
Ronda Rousey Fanboy
130 IQ
Quote by Perverockstar69
AFAIK Cleans on the terror series are not that great, specially on high volumes.
Answer these questions and we will be able to help you better https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1387138.

I don't think $1000 would be fair, at least if you are on the US. Is it a head or a combo? Maybe a little bit less?

I live in Canada, and it's the head. Again, like new, never been gigged etc, etc.

Also, I'm not looking for a combo amp. I'll just toss that out there

Here are some brands I can get at L&M/Walters, I can test MOST of them - availability dependant

Marshall
Hughes & Kettner
Orange
Mesa Boogie
Vox
Fender
Peavey
Main Rig:

Line 6 POD HD Pro
Randall XL 4x12

Come join us...

ihartfood
Potato Faced Blind Man
50 IQ
steer clear of the new DSLs. they are very fizzy and lack good cleans IMO. like a Haze mixed with an MA.

Definitely check out any Oranges or Mesas you come across, and an older DSL50 or DSL100 Marshall or a JCM900 (which is a bit of a stretch). Don't be discouraged from a brand based on one model you try, people tend to do that I've noticed.

Does L&M stock Jet City?

Would your budget be solely what you get from the 6505?
Mesa has some great options but they are out of your price range of a grand or less. the Mini Rec maybe not but it's a waste of money. If you really watch Kijiji or craigslist or ebay then a Mk IV may pop up for around that budget.
mmjohn
Call me John
110 IQ
Quote by Raijouta
I'd recommend you get an EVH 5150 III 50w, they're considerably more versatile than the 6505/Peavey 5150 series amps.

Agreed.....he did say a bit of metacore.....boosted it gets there and covers all his needs....I've got the 5150iii and its the perfect choice.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=related&v=WolTxe0joYA

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=I851r0Ksm_U
130 IQ
Quote by ihartfood
steer clear of the new DSLs. they are very fizzy and lack good cleans IMO. like a Haze mixed with an MA.

Definitely check out any Oranges or Mesas you come across, and an older DSL50 or DSL100 Marshall or a JCM900 (which is a bit of a stretch). Don't be discouraged from a brand based on one model you try, people tend to do that I've noticed.

Does L&M stock Jet City?

Would your budget be solely what you get from the 6505?
Mesa has some great options but they are out of your price range of a grand or less. the Mini Rec maybe not but it's a waste of money. If you really watch Kijiji or craigslist or ebay then a Mk IV may pop up for around that budget.

There are no Ontario dealers fo JCA stuff, the closest is Quebec, nearly 7 hours away from me..

Yes the budget would be solely from the 6505+ sale, assuming I can sell it. I'll see what Walters Music would giv me for the 6505+, even though I bought it from them.
Main Rig:

Line 6 POD HD Pro
Randall XL 4x12

Come join us...

Blktiger0
The Name's Devon! ;)
360 IQ
Are you only dismissing Egnater because of the lack of in-sore availability? I really think the Vengeance/Armageddon sound like what you want. I would steer clear of Mesa and Fender if you want a British tone of any sort.

That's unfortunate about Jet City. They would be another excellent choice in this situation.

Is the reason you refuse to buy online simply because you can't try the stuff first? It sounds like you're really screwing yourself out of the better options due to store availability.
Charvel1995
Ronda Rousey Fanboy
130 IQ
Quote by Blktiger0
Are you only dismissing Egnater because of the lack of in-sore availability? I really think the Vengeance/Armageddon sound like what you want. I would steer clear of Mesa and Fender if you want a British tone of any sort.

That's unfortunate about Jet City. They would be another excellent choice in this situation.

Is the reason you refuse to buy online simply because you can't try the stuff first? It sounds like you're really screwing yourself out of the better options due to store availability.

I have no means of buying online as I have no credit card, and i would be paying out the ass for shipping and taxes.
If i had the means to get an amp online i would.
Main Rig:

Line 6 POD HD Pro
Randall XL 4x12

Come join us...

nickdohle
Let's a go Mario!
100 IQ
Do you have a bank account with a debit card? That would work. If not, get you one?

Regardless, I still vote Older DSLs. British made. British sound. Very versatile amps
Robbgnarly
Tab Contributor
290 IQ
You can buy a prepaid visa card in any amount and use that to buy online, thats what I do
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Offworld92
One among the fence.
520 IQ
Have you swapped the tubes on the 6505+ yet? With the separate EQs, you shouldn't have any dirt in your cleans. No, they're not the most lush or dynamic cleans ever, but they shouldn't be dirty.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Charvel1995
Ronda Rousey Fanboy
130 IQ
Quote by Offworld92
Have you swapped the tubes on the 6505+ yet? With the separate EQs, you shouldn't have any dirt in your cleans. No, they're not the most lush or dynamic cleans ever, but they shouldn't be dirty.

No I haven't. I just don't find the cleans to be how I want them to be. They always sound kind of meh to me.

@nickdohle, I would have to setup a new account for that, it's not worth it as of now, I don't make enough online purchases to justify a permanent bank account for online purchases.

@robb, I've never seen one over $250.. Where could I find one?

Someone messaged me about trading a Dual Terror for the amp. The issue being he lives too fr away for me to drive and test it.

We have been planning to do something along these lines: He will send me his Dual Terror first via Greyhound, I'll get it at the terminal, and then take it back to my house and test it out. In the even that I like the amp, I'll keep it and send mine to him. In the even I dislike it, I just send his back to him. This seems to be the only way to test it. And even in the event I dislike the amp, I can just cross it off my list and look t others.
Main Rig:

Line 6 POD HD Pro
Randall XL 4x12

Come join us...

loki_lulamen
UG's Sound Guy
142 IQ
Dude try putting a 12au7 in the v1 position. I've tried it on a 6505+ before and has done wonders for the cleans. The only downside is that you have to kick the gain up a couple of notches.
My Rig:
Maverick F-1, Ibanez RG1527, Schecter Omen 8
Marshall JVM 410H,
Hand built 4x12 w/ V30s
Current board:
PXL LIVE
TU2
WHAMMY IV
MXR M132
MXR M101
TIMMY
NS2
MXR M108
XOTIC EP
TC DREAMSCAPE
DL8
nickdohle
Let's a go Mario!
100 IQ
Youre only going to be disappointed if you trade your 6505 for a Dual terror.
Charvel1995
Ronda Rousey Fanboy
130 IQ
Quote by nickdohle
Youre only going to be disappointed if you trade your 6505 for a Dual terror.

Thats why I'll be testing it for about a week or so.
Main Rig:

Line 6 POD HD Pro
Randall XL 4x12

Come join us...

nickdohle
Let's a go Mario!
100 IQ
Make sure you get over the honeymoon period quick. Terrors are bad ass little amps. But they dont have anything on your 6505 in my opinion.
Charvel1995
Ronda Rousey Fanboy
130 IQ
Define "Honeymoon" period.

I fell in love with the 6505+ quickly, and I also fell out of love with it just as quick.

The size of the amp is also a bit of a factor as well. The 6505+ is too big for me to take it anywhere, and most of my friends that do have jam spaces aren't in areas that i can put this thing at a high volume.
Main Rig:

Line 6 POD HD Pro
Randall XL 4x12

Come join us...

Last edited by Charvel1995 at Nov 1, 2012,
Robbgnarly
Tab Contributor
290 IQ
Quote by Charvel1995

@robb, I've never seen one over $250.. Where could I find one?

Walmart has their moneycard (visa/mastercard) and you can load what ever you want upto $1500.
You can also get the Greendot mastercard/visa at most walgreens/cvs/walmart and you can get upto $1500 on those aswell.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
nickdohle
Let's a go Mario!
100 IQ
A Honeymoon period is the period of time from when you first get something, and are in love with it, to a few days, weeks, months, after and its nowhere near what you thought it was.

Honestly I really think you can do better than a Dual Terror. Not bad amps. But if you are looking to downsize, Youre looking to downsize I guess
Charvel1995
Ronda Rousey Fanboy
130 IQ
Would a JCM 900 fit what I'm looking for?
Main Rig:

Line 6 POD HD Pro
Randall XL 4x12

Come join us...

nickdohle
Let's a go Mario!
100 IQ
Is it the SL-X model? Yes. Regular? Maybe with a good boost and some patience. Not bad amps at all. Will do most of what you want. Probably not the metalcore so well. But I never tried to play metalcore on one, so maybe?

Free bump for ya
Charvel1995
Ronda Rousey Fanboy
130 IQ
All the ones in my area just say "JCM900 Head" ad the title ad, and basically, tha's all the info I'm given. No seller has replied to a single question of mine.

Would it be worth calling Walters music or L&M (Though they don't deal Peavey) and asking what they would give me for a sale? Or even on a trade in or store credit?
Main Rig:

Line 6 POD HD Pro
Randall XL 4x12

Come join us...

Robbgnarly
Tab Contributor
290 IQ
If you trade or sell to a store, you will get pennies on the dollar. They will give you ~1/2 of what they will sell it for. so if they sell it for $700-$800 then you would get roughly $350-$400 on average. This isn't written in stone, but it is pretty typical.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Charvel1995
Ronda Rousey Fanboy
130 IQ
I assumed thats what would happen, my dad runs a business on the weekends, I've learned how the business world runs. That being said, I could also try and get a better price in some way, but I'm not sure it would work. Or I could even ask for a store credit. Walters Music also deals in Marshall amps.

I'll be totally honest, I've been playing the Peavey a bit more this week to see if I'm actually satisfied with it. The more I play it the more I want it gone.
Main Rig:

Line 6 POD HD Pro
Randall XL 4x12

Come join us...

Robbgnarly
Tab Contributor
290 IQ
Why don't you put it on kijiji and ask for a trade for a Marshall JCM2000 DSL 50/100? I'm sure there are plenty of people in the reverse situation your in: I have a marshall but really want a Peavey.

Its worth a shot anyways.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Charvel1995
Ronda Rousey Fanboy
130 IQ
Quote by Robbgnarly
Why don't you put it on kijiji and ask for a trade for a Marshall JCM2000 DSL 50/100? I'm sure there are plenty of people in the reverse situation your in: I have a marshall but really want a Peavey.

Its worth a shot anyways.

Already done so.

Here's my ad in a nutshell:

I have for sale OR trade a Peavey 6505+ Amp HEAD. Purchased in June of 2012 brand new form Walters Music in Masonville Mall, in London, ON.

This has NEVER been gigged. I'd put this at about a 9.5/10 condition wise. Aesthetically, not a thing is wrong with it, functionally, nothing is wrong with it either. This amp is too American for my interests, I need something with a more British voice.

Looking to sell for $1000, OBO

Footswitch INCLUDED

Trade Considerations: Egnater Armageddon
Egnater Vengeance
Orange TH30
Marshall JCM900
Marshall DSL50 or DSL 100

Not looking for guitars.

if someone could give me advice on what to change I'd be grateful
Main Rig:

Line 6 POD HD Pro
Randall XL 4x12

Come join us...

Robbgnarly
Tab Contributor
290 IQ
Your asking price seems a littl high. They run $1100ish new, and I see them in great condition for $750-$800 all the time.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Charvel1995
Ronda Rousey Fanboy
130 IQ
The cheapest to get a 6505+ brand new in my area is nearly $1400, or something close to it, that's with HST and all that crap.Maybe put my price down to like $925 or $950?
Main Rig:

Line 6 POD HD Pro
Randall XL 4x12

Come join us...

Page 1 of 3