Page 3 of 5
Quote by Sleepy__Head
Ah, but it's not the size of the cannon that matters: It's the force of the shot.

Besides: My genre's girth far exceeds your genres girth.

You're all wrong.

Bitches don't know bout my density.

But that doesn't mean metal is complex or not clear cut - it just isn't easily explained by a system that wasn't meant to explain it.

Yeah, which is why its difficult to incorporate teaching it unless our current system is altered.

This doesn't make it more complex, it just makes it more like trying to describe a book in Latin when you only know English, Spanish, and Italian.
Quote by MaggaraMarine
But this applies only if you play guitar.

True. But this being a guitar forum and all....

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Quote by axemanchris

CT

i think half the people in MT don't even own a guitar i know i don't
Quote by Kevätuhri
Hail isn't too edgy for posts, posts are not edgy enough for Hail.

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
Snobbery be damned. Step up and make some claims about the size of your genre.
Quote by Hail
oh shut up with that /mu/ bullshit. fidget house shouldn't even be a genre, why in the world would it deserve its own subgenres you twat
Quote by axemanchris

CT

But it doesn't make the music complex if the guitar part in classical or jazz is more difficult than in metal.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Yes and no.

If you are comparing primarily monophonic melodic lines against power chords to melodies and countermelodies, or to melodies with extended harmonic accompaniment, then yes, it does.

However, my part of the discussion was not intended to be about composition. It was intended only as a commentary of why classical and jazz are generally the only options in advanced academic music performance programs.

CT

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Quote by Sleepy__Head
Snobbery be damned. Step up and make some claims about the size of your genre.

I don't even need to. It's already a pretty known fact that power metal is the best genre out there. Anyone who says otherwise is just hatin'.
Quote by axemanchris
Yes and no.

If you are comparing primarily monophonic melodic lines against power chords to melodies and countermelodies, or to melodies with extended harmonic accompaniment, then yes, it does.

However, my part of the discussion was not intended to be about composition. It was intended only as a commentary of why classical and jazz are generally the only options in advanced academic music performance programs.

CT

Yes, that's true.

I think the jazz program also includes pop music. At least here in Finland it's called pop/jazz, not just jazz.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Quote by W4RP1G
I don't even need to. It's already a pretty known fact that power metal is the best genre out there. Anyone who says otherwise is just hatin'.

Ah, self-confidence. I like it
Quote by Hail
oh shut up with that /mu/ bullshit. fidget house shouldn't even be a genre, why in the world would it deserve its own subgenres you twat
I think it's worth noting that while a lot of metal players are unable to play jazz, I don't think a lot of jazz players would be very adept at playing metal. Somehow I don't think George Benson would do very well in Slayer's environment. It's all a matter of being good at what you enjoy.
Quote by TheHydra
I think it's worth noting that while a lot of metal players are unable to play jazz, I don't think a lot of jazz players would be very adept at playing metal. Somehow I don't think George Benson would do very well in Slayer's environment. It's all a matter of being good at what you enjoy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wERlvafYVfo
Quote by TheHydra

A few of the jazzers at my uni play metal gigs on the side for the money.
Quote by TheHydra

that's more an issue of attitude than capabilities.

though it would be kinda like slumming it if you're over 19 and stay well-groomed
Quote by Kevätuhri

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
Quote by Hail
that's more an issue of attitude than capabilities.

though it would be kinda like slumming it if you're over 19 and stay well-groomed

I guess I should reword then. I don't think a lot of jazz players would be able to compose a metal song or improvise in a metal environment. It's simply an issue of unfamiliarity and lack of identification with the genre. If you're 30 years old, play and listen to mostly bebop and blues, and someone asks you to listen to Meshuggah and write something akin to it, I think it'd be a bit unreasonable.
Quote by TheHydra
I guess I should reword then. I don't think a lot of jazz players would be able to compose a metal song or improvise in a metal environment. It's simply an issue of unfamiliarity and lack of identification with the genre. If you're 30 years old, play and listen to mostly bebop and blues, and someone asks you to listen to Meshuggah and write something akin to it, I think it'd be a bit unreasonable.

...really?

Quote by Kevätuhri

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
I'm inclined to agree there, mostly. There are things that are idiomatic to a genre that, unless you are a fan of, and/or have experience playing in it, that you're just not going to get.

It's very similar to the notion that any decent guitar player can play bass. While functionally true, it won't come off as the person actually being a "bass player."

CT

Quote by axemanchris
I'm inclined to agree there, mostly. There are things that are idiomatic to a genre that, unless you are a fan of, and/or have experience playing in it, that you're just not going to get.

It's very similar to the notion that any decent guitar player can play bass. While functionally true, it won't come off as the person actually being a "bass player."

CT

This is basically my point. Thanks for wording it in a more eloquent way.
Quote by axemanchris

CT

+1
Quote by macashmack
My genre advanced-ness is 9 1/2 inches long.

If we had a secret laboratory... we could combine macs length, Sleepys girth, and LifeIsBrutals density into...

A SUPER GENRE!!!!

Mwa hahahahaha!!!!!!

Jazz, classical, prog, and metal musicians would cower at the very mention of our SUPER GENRE!!!!!
Quote by AlanHB
It's the same as all other harmony. Surround yourself with skulls and candles if it helps.
Either that or they'd be reminded of Spinal Tap's Jazz Odessey.
Quote by Hail
Quote by Sleepy__Head
Either that or they'd be reminded of Spinal Tap's Jazz Odessey.

CT

All i know is the bulk of it sounds like crap, and I view it as an inferior form of music.....if it can even be called that.
Quote by Dont Move
All i know is the bulk of it sounds like crap, and I view it as an inferior form of music.....if it can even be called that.

Quote by Kevätuhri

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
Quote by Dont Move

We're talking about metal here, not rap
Quote by Hail

I know man, it was meant as tongue in cheek. I like some rap, but there is a lot of crap to sift through. Same with metal, blues, country or any other genre. Musically though I'm consistently unimpressed by the majority of "beats" in rap.
I'll nail my colours to the mast here and say I'm not a big rap fan. I don't think it's crap, just not my cup of tea except when it's done exceptionally well (although 'exceptionally well' is bound to be a subjective judgement). I suppose it's what the kids like to listen to nowadays but it all just sounds like noise to me.
Quote by Hail
i'm the only trendy and tasteful member of the MT roster i like to think but i try to push z4 because i want there to be 100% trend and taste in my area when looking at MTs users on a blotmap because he lives like down the street from me

btw z4 i work at the valero off green oaks and 360 now, yolo
Quote by Kevätuhri

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
why is this fuking thread still going
Gear:
Dean RC7X (Bareknuckle Coldsweat pickups)
Ibanez Rg2570Z (Bareknuckle Juggernaughts)
Schecter KM-6
Schecter Hellraiser Hybrid 7 String
Engl Powerball II
Orange PPC412
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Life Is Brutal

... I love you more than AeolianWolf now. Exivious kicks ass!
Join the 7 String Legion!

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.

Messiaen is Magical

Official Approval
This message has been approved by:

Mister A.J.
Head of the Department of Redundancy Department
Mister A.J.
Last edited by Mister A.J. at Nov 6, 2012,
sleep head knows what's up
Quote by Kevätuhri

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
Quote by AeolianWolf
no. metal isn't close to classical at all. i really don't get why people are so intent on making metal seem like classical. maybe to try and pull a little credibility out of thin air?

Best not to give advice about things we don't understand.

All classical music ego aside, I'd just like to point out that metal is probably impossible to categorize, in terms of sub-genres, its goddamn endless! This-core and crap-core. But tomas haake of meshuggah put it really well once by saying something like "we always thought metal was just the musical 'other' category, the music that didn't really fit into any other specific genre".. Ever since I've kinda liked using that as a good guide because beyond what people tell you, no matter who you are, there's a type of metal out there for you because theres so many kinds of it out there
Quote by Scorpyin
Best not to give advice about things we don't understand.

All classical music ego aside, I'd just like to point out that metal is probably impossible to categorize, in terms of sub-genres, its goddamn endless! This-core and crap-core. But tomas haake of meshuggah put it really well once by saying something like "we always thought metal was just the musical 'other' category, the music that didn't really fit into any other specific genre".. Ever since I've kinda liked using that as a good guide because beyond what people tell you, no matter who you are, there's a type of metal out there for you because theres so many kinds of it out there

Tell me, what are the things you think that classical music and metal share? I'm asking because I'm curious, since classical music (for me) is about the combination and contrast of (thematic) development, form, harmony, counterpoint and texture. None of these elements are all that prevalent in metal music, let alone all of these.
Quote by Hail
i'm the only trendy and tasteful member of the MT roster i like to think but i try to push z4 because i want there to be 100% trend and taste in my area when looking at MTs users on a blotmap because he lives like down the street from me

btw z4 i work at the valero off green oaks and 360 now, yolo

Damn man, that's a 5 minute trip down 360 . Hit me up if you ever wanna jam, I got nothing but time and gear
Quote by Keth
classical music (for me) is about the combination and contrast of (thematic) development, form, harmony, counterpoint and texture.

You dont think a metal musician could combine all these aspects?
Gear:
Dean RC7X (Bareknuckle Coldsweat pickups)
Ibanez Rg2570Z (Bareknuckle Juggernaughts)
Schecter KM-6
Schecter Hellraiser Hybrid 7 String
Engl Powerball II
Orange PPC412
Line 6 Pod HD500X