Page 4 of 5
Quote by z4twenny
Damn man, that's a 5 minute trip down 360 . Hit me up if you ever wanna jam, I got nothing but time and gear

i'll probably have the other cab by the time i actually have time, but next month when school wraps up and i've got all my ducks in a row i'll holla back

i still have to get my wake up/sleep down times sorted out with day classes and work at night and them messing with my schedule

plus i just turned 19 and haven't got nearly enough drugs to cope with that before i can have fun
Quote by Kevätuhri
Hail isn't too edgy for posts, posts are not edgy enough for Hail.

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
Quote by amonamarthmetal
You dont think a metal musician could combine all these aspects?

Sure they could, but they aren't generally going to write a string quartet in the Classical style.

Metal has as much to do with the instruments and effects used (and the timbres they make) as it does the harmonies, melodies and rhythms.

Personally I would say that - in general - metal uses loud amplified distorted guitars and bass, and drums to create an impression of brute force. Sure there are plenty of examples to the contrary, but in general classical music doesn't tend to go for "brute force".
Quote by Hail
oh shut up with that /mu/ bullshit. fidget house shouldn't even be a genre, why in the world would it deserve its own subgenres you twat
Sure a metal musician could use those elements, but it probably wouldn't be metal anymore then. But, if you have any counterexamples, I'd like to hear them.

I only know of one metal/rock band that I would consider to have (some) of those things I listed.
Quote by Keth

I only know of one metal/rock band that I would consider to have (some) of those things I listed.

which one?

i'm legitimately curious cause i can't think of anybody outside of possibly the big names, dream theater/king crimson/etc, and even then i can't think of specific examples that are particularly sophisticated
Quote by Kevätuhri

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
Quote by Keth
Gordian Knot, here's a post I made about some of the things I noticed on the album Emergent:

http://cyniconline.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=577&start=10

i honest to god thought of sean malone but i mean, that's almost like cheating to consider GK metal
Quote by Kevätuhri

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
Quote by Keth
Tell me, what are the things you think that classical music and metal share? I'm asking because I'm curious, since classical music (for me) is about the combination and contrast of (thematic) development, form, harmony, counterpoint and texture. None of these elements are all that prevalent in metal music, let alone all of these.

Power and a sense of grandiosity are shared by some classical and metal.
OMG...

Metal =/= classical.

Why aren't we arguing about pop being the same as classical? I mean, some pop music has that kind of happy melodies like some Mozart's songs. And they both use same kind of chords and stuff.

Why are people telling that metal is near to classical? I don't understand it. Does it make metal look better? I don't think so.

Also, listening to classical is sophisticated, listening to metal is not. Metal is pop, classical is not.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Quote by MaggaraMarine
OMG...

Metal =/= classical.

Why aren't we arguing about pop being the same as classical? I mean, some pop music has that kind of happy melodies like some Mozart's songs. And they both use same kind of chords and stuff.

Why are people telling that metal is near to classical? I don't understand it. Does it make metal look better? I don't think so.

Also, listening to classical is sophisticated, listening to metal is not. Metal is pop, classical is not.

what are you talking about lol
Quote by Kevätuhri

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
Quote by MaggaraMarine
OMG...

Metal =/= classical.

facepalm.jpeg

Quote by Jehannum

Clutching at straws, you are doing it.
Last edited by griffRG7321 at Nov 8, 2012,
Quote by Keth
Gordian Knot, here's a post I made about some of the things I noticed on the album Emergent:

http://cyniconline.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=577&start=10

i honest to god thought of sean malone but i mean, that's almost like cheating to consider GK metal

I would definitely call them prog metal.

As for counterpoint, structure, harmonies, etc, my go to metal band would be Spawn of Possession. The main composer for their material has a degree in classical composition.

2:41, 3:04, and 3:55 could easily be in incorporated into something such as a string quartet setting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3isFzW6hikY

Here's another song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_CyEUCVEQzA&feature=related

And here is a rendition of it using a MIDI Orchestra. I wish that it was a real Orchestra arrangement, because it would be absolutely amazing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S8i98kGAaEw
Oh, and this to an extent. 3:38 features Prokofiev's Dance of the Knights.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5oBGixxuu2E

Prokofiev

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bBsKplb2E6Q

The theme from Fur Elise is at 2:18 and 2:44 in this one. Its just a small snippet, but I find it really awesome.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hPQKB7A1YAA&feature=related

And the solo at 3:02 is one of my all time favorites.
^Jeff Loomis used a Carl Phillip Emanuel Bach part in devil theory(the delay arpeggios). i dunno which song though. but jeff said its from him.
Gear:
Dean RC7X (Bareknuckle Coldsweat pickups)
Ibanez Rg2570Z (Bareknuckle Juggernaughts)
Schecter KM-6
Schecter Hellraiser Hybrid 7 String
Engl Powerball II
Orange PPC412
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quoting classical pieces mean what, exactly?
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
Quote by Life Is Brutal
That they can incorporate them seamlessly into their own works which says that they share a large amount of similarities in complexity and arrangement?

So does Lady Gaga.
Quote by Life Is Brutal
That they can incorporate them seamlessly into their own works which says that they share a large amount of similarities in complexity and arrangement?

You can do that with nearly anything, it just means they're good at incorporating different things into their playing. A line from a classical piece means a lot more when taken as part of the entire work that it is part of because classical music, as said before is "combination and contrast of (thematic) development, form, harmony, counterpoint and texture." Does metal do that? No.

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
Quote by Jehannum

so you're going to tell me that it would be impossible to write a song with "power" and/or "a sense of grandiosity" in any other genre? they both use musical notes, too - are you going to compare them in that sense? it'd have about the same effect.

Quote by Scorpyin
Best not to give advice about things we don't understand.

absolutely -- which is why you had best shut your mouth and let me do the talking. i know classical and metal very, very well -- based on your post, you know far more about metal than you do about classical, so it's ridiculous for you to think your opinion would carry any weight or credibility.

there's no "classical music ego" here; for you to think that shows that you're blindly supporting the argument that metal has the complexities of classical music, a topic on which you have given no insight and demonstrated no understanding. this argument is not about ego - it is about objective analysis, which you seem to lack. it's great that you have an understanding of how many different subgenres of metal there are -- but perhaps, if you want to argue with me, you should try and stick to concepts and ideas that are germane to the discussion.

if you think you're going to try and attack me in an argument like this, i advise you to rethink your tactics. the only ego you should be worried about is your own, because it makes you submit posts like the one you wrote.

if you can answer keth's question and provide a profound insight as to the similarities of the two genres, maybe you'll earn a some credibility, and i'll take your opinion seriously.

Quote by Life Is Brutal

so because this beat quotes beethoven's für elise, it must be complex and have a great arrangement?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UcTLJ692F70

ANY genre can quote classical music. it means nothing.

frankly, the fact that this thread is even still alive is an abomination. metal does not have anywhere near the complexity of classical music -- classical contains complexity to a degree such that some jazz can't even come close to it.

it's great that there are people that like metal (myself included), but for people to try to grab at straws and compare it to classical just to try and give themselves and the genre a false air is simply ludicrous.

this thread is an eyesore, and, frankly, it makes me want to vomit. i really thought that people in this forum would sooner take up the opportunity to write their own music and improve their own craft, but i'm starting to see that MT really is about proving moot points, and i'm probably going to end up going the way of griff and smiley.
Anfangen ist leicht, Beharren eine Kunst.
Quote by AeolianWolf
so you're going to tell me that it would be impossible to write a song with "power" and/or "a sense of grandiosity" in any other genre? they both use musical notes, too - are you going to compare them in that sense? it'd have about the same effect.

absolutely -- which is why you had best shut your mouth and let me do the talking. i know classical and metal very, very well -- based on your post, you know far more about metal than you do about classical, so it's ridiculous for you to think your opinion would carry any weight or credibility.

there's no "classical music ego" here; for you to think that shows that you're blindly supporting the argument that metal has the complexities of classical music, a topic on which you have given no insight and demonstrated no understanding. this argument is not about ego - it is about objective analysis, which you seem to lack. it's great that you have an understanding of how many different subgenres of metal there are -- but perhaps, if you want to argue with me, you should try and stick to concepts and ideas that are germane to the discussion.

if you think you're going to try and attack me in an argument like this, i advise you to rethink your tactics. the only ego you should be worried about is your own, because it makes you submit posts like the one you wrote.

if you can answer keth's question and provide a profound insight as to the similarities of the two genres, maybe you'll earn a some credibility, and i'll take your opinion seriously.

so because this beat quotes beethoven's für elise, it must be complex and have a great arrangement?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UcTLJ692F70

ANY genre can quote classical music. it means nothing.

frankly, the fact that this thread is even still alive is an abomination. metal does not have anywhere near the complexity of classical music -- classical contains complexity to a degree such that some jazz can't even come close to it.

it's great that there are people that like metal (myself included), but for people to try to grab at straws and compare it to classical just to try and give themselves and the genre a false air is simply ludicrous.

this thread is an eyesore, and, frankly, it makes me want to vomit. i really thought that people in this forum would sooner take up the opportunity to write their own music and improve their own craft, but i'm starting to see that MT really is about proving moot points, and i'm probably going to end up going the way of griff and smiley.

Quote by The Spoon
Unless you're sure she likes you, telling her you like her has a 110% chance of failing.

But hey, at least you have a 10% chance of absolutely guaranteeing failure.
Quote by AeolianWolf
but i'm starting to see that MT really is about proving moot points, and i'm probably going to end up going the way of griff and smiley.

What way's that?
Quote by griffRG7321
What way's that?

trawlawlawl
I don't drink caffeine of any description. Maybe that's what's holding me back.
Anyone who talks down metal, give them a guitar and tell them to play Slayer.
Tomorrow will take us away
Far from home
No one will ever know our names
But the bards' songs will remain
Tomorrow will take it away
The fear of today
It will be gone
Due to our magic songs

ALL HAIL CELESTIA
Quote by jjfeu662

You can do that with nearly anything, it just means they're good at incorporating different things into their playing. A line from a classical piece means a lot more when taken as part of the entire work that it is part of because classical music, as said before is "combination and contrast of (thematic) development, form, harmony, counterpoint and texture." Does metal do that? No.

I think we're trying to gauge the complexity of something by evaluating them under non-applicable criteria.

Its like trying to measure the qualities of an orange using a grading scheme designed for apples. The apples will fall under the criteria well, while the differing qualities that makes an orange an orange won't be quantified.

slayer is EZPZ brah
Quote by Vin71
I would like to apologize for making this thread.

lol

only you can save us... fuking delete it.
Gear:
Dean RC7X (Bareknuckle Coldsweat pickups)
Ibanez Rg2570Z (Bareknuckle Juggernaughts)
Schecter KM-6
Schecter Hellraiser Hybrid 7 String
Engl Powerball II
Orange PPC412
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Life Is Brutal
slayer is EZPZ brah

OK, Dethklok.
Far from home
The fear of today
It will be gone
Due to our magic songs

ALL HAIL CELESTIA
Quote by Life Is Brutal
slayer is EZPZ brah

They're also more satisfying to listen to than every 'technical death metal' band ever. Therefore complexity does not equal quality. I now declare this thread solved.
Quote by jjfeu662
OK, Dethklok.

Eh. Not as hard as people make it out to be. In fact, some of their songs are pretty easy. Especially the Deththeme.
Join the 7 String Legion!

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.

Messiaen is Magical

Official Approval
This message has been approved by:

Mister A.J.
Head of the Department of Redundancy Department
Mister A.J.
Quote by jjfeu662
OK, Dethklok.

brendon small is a great guitarist. hands down. but he's not the one making some big talk in this thread -- that would be you. so let's see you analyze a bach fugue

the only people qualified to speak on the comparison of classical and metal are the people who really know both. if you don't know metal, your opinion is worthless here. if you don't know classical, your opinion is worthless here. fair to say?
Quote by AeolianWolf
brendon small is a great guitarist. hands down. but he's not the one making some big talk in this thread -- that would be you. so let's see you analyze a bach fugue

Oh god, you might have just killed somebody... and that somebody might be taking you up on that challenge... and that somebody may or may not be me.
Join the 7 String Legion!

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.

Messiaen is Magical

Official Approval
This message has been approved by:

Mister A.J.
Head of the Department of Redundancy Department
Mister A.J.
Quote by Life Is Brutal
I think we're trying to gauge the complexity of something by evaluating them under non-applicable criteria.

Its like trying to measure the qualities of an orange using a grading scheme designed for apples. The apples will fall under the criteria well, while the differing qualities that makes an orange an orange won't be quantified.

No, metal still falls under the umbrella of western muisc. Metal is not as complex as classical music. Period. Anyone who is familiar with both metal and classical music knows this. You have demonstrated that you aren't that familiar with classical music.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
Last edited by rockingamer2 at Nov 8, 2012,
Quote by AeolianWolf

the only people qualified to speak on the comparison of classical and metal are the people who really know both. if you don't know metal, your opinion is worthless here. if you don't know classical, your opinion is worthless here. fair to say?

I'm not making big talk, I'm just saying people who say metal is hairy white men strumming on guitars and yelling would not be able to play Smoke on the Water, let alone South of Heaven or even the Duncan Hills Coffee Jingle.
Far from home
The fear of today
It will be gone
Due to our magic songs

ALL HAIL CELESTIA
Quote by jjfeu662
OK, Dethklok.

Dethklok is also EZPZ.

Ask me to play some Spawn of Possession, and I'm in tears.

Eh. Not as hard as people make it out to be. In fact, some of their songs are pretty easy. Especially the Deththeme.

BRB, I'm going to go and learn it for the nostalgia.

brendon small is a great guitarist. hands down.

The most difficult part are his solos, and even then they're not too difficult. BUT, his writing is absolutely phenomenal. Have you guys heard anything from the Dethalbum III? The lead work is so tasteful, its pretty much in my top 10 albums of the year.

They're also more satisfying to listen to than every 'technical death metal' band ever. Therefore complexity does not equal quality. I now declare this thread solved.

I derive more satisfaction from listening to Technical Death Metal than I ever could from Slayer. Therefore simplicity does not equal quality. I now declare this thread solved.