Page 1 of 3
paul w1
729 IQ
Hi guys i'm using a TH30 and a 2x12 and a few pedals at the moment. I only play at home with a few friends and i think my setup is a bit OTT for that. One of my friends uses o Vox VT 40+ and really gets some great sounds/tone out of it. I've also been looking at a few vids on you tube at the Line 6 spider 1V 75w. Out of the Vox and the Line 6 what would be the best allround amp, we play a bit of everything.
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl
2,967 IQ
It's not OTT if you enjoy it

I mean- fair enough if you need the money. But if you don't...
Quote by crownegamers
I saw in a couple of pictures that on Bucketheads Les Paul (only some pictures) that his neck pickup is painted in white. Can anyone explain to me why he would do this, and if there are any pros and cons.

Quote by dspellman
The guy wears a KFC Bucket and a white mask during performances, and you're interested in the color of his pickup covers?

lemurflames
Ronnie
188 IQ
Quote by Dave_Mc
It's not OTT if you enjoy it

I mean- fair enough if you need the money. But if you don't...

Woot. Let's all buy walls of 4x12's.

I question the validity of this thread. You want to drop an Orange TH30 for a Spider IV? An awesome tube amp for one of the worst solid state amps you can buy?

Don't do anything. Stick with what you have now.
Ibanez RG652KFX Prestige
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl
2,967 IQ
Quote by lemurflames

haha you should see my guitar room. granted it's mainly stacked 2x12s (there is one 4x12 in there, though), but still. EDIT: and i'm not finished yet
Quote by crownegamers
I saw in a couple of pictures that on Bucketheads Les Paul (only some pictures) that his neck pickup is painted in white. Can anyone explain to me why he would do this, and if there are any pros and cons.

Quote by dspellman
The guy wears a KFC Bucket and a white mask during performances, and you're interested in the color of his pickup covers?

lemurflames
Ronnie
188 IQ
I'm so jelly. I got nothing right now. Hopefully that will change in the next 5 years.
Ibanez RG652KFX Prestige
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
nickdohle
Let's a go Mario!
1,271 IQ
I have a 100 watt amp sitting atop a 4x12. Ive never gigged with it. I keep it because it inspires me to play, and want to play better
Darkflame
officialBOSS pedals hater
2,141 IQ
Quote by lemurflames

My bedroom. haven't gigged once this year, and most of my bands split up. I'm working on a single project right now, and that's it, don't even know how long it'll last or how serious it'll get.

If you are happy with the sound you get, that's all that matters. I still buy a lot of gear, and I buy new guitars every once in a while, and my family and girlfriend all think I am abusing. So what, I can get any tone I have in my head tenfold, and it makes me happy. That's all that matters.

(I'd also like to add that the only amp I've gigged with out of all of these is the Twin at the bottom right, and I've only used it on stage 3 or 4 times. Usually, I use a Traynor YCV40wr that you don't see on the picture.)
lemurflames
Ronnie
188 IQ
That's not cool dude. You have a serious problem.

You're showing off and it's making me jealous.
Ibanez RG652KFX Prestige
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
tas38
UG's Michael Westen
1,189 IQ
What a dick, your gear has nowhere to breathe in there. Everything needs its space, you wouldn't stuff 10 puppies ni 1 cage.
RG351DX - Bridge Dragonfire Screamer, Mid+Neck Fender Hot Noiseless
Peavey Valveking 112 - Eminence GB128
AMT E1 > Joyo AC Tone > Dan'o EQ > Shimverb > Digidelay
Sid McCall
(Actually, I'm Scott)
2,713 IQ
Anyway, on topic, if you want to downgrade from your TH30, then get a Tiny Terror. You'll still be in the same ballpark, and it will be much more portable with a more manageable volume.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
cdr_salamander
or simply Nick
1,335 IQ
How about you just save up for a couple weeks and buy a cheapo SS amp to sit next to your TH30? I would never downgrade from a kickass tube to a Spider, that should be a law.
Quote by Dunning~Kruger
Yes I was rude, and I was aggressive and I was offending a large group of people. But I was civlized about it.

Taylor 414CE
AcousticMirror
loves cheesecake
4,843 IQ
Quote by Darkflame
My bedroom. haven't gigged once this year, and most of my bands split up. I'm working on a single project right now, and that's it, don't even know how long it'll last or how serious it'll get.

If you are happy with the sound you get, that's all that matters. I still buy a lot of gear, and I buy new guitars every once in a while, and my family and girlfriend all think I am abusing. So what, I can get any tone I have in my head tenfold, and it makes me happy. That's all that matters.

(I'd also like to add that the only amp I've gigged with out of all of these is the Twin at the bottom right, and I've only used it on stage 3 or 4 times. Usually, I use a Traynor YCV40wr that you don't see on the picture.)

buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo.
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl
2,967 IQ
Quote by lemurflames
I'm so jelly. I got nothing right now. Hopefully that will change in the next 5 years.

I'm guessing you're still at school?

I realise this is no consolation, but I'd rather be young

EDIT: epic work there darkflame. that's what a room should look like
Quote by crownegamers

Quote by dspellman

paul w1
729 IQ
Ok guys we still haven't really got an answer to the original question which was what was the best amp the Vox or the Spider. That aside what i'm after is a good allround amp (combo) with plenty of built in effects so i don't have to have loads of pedals all over the floor. I don't mind tube or SS for up to £500.
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl
2,967 IQ
vox is better, but for £500 you can probably do better.

spider tube or vypyr tube maybe?
Quote by crownegamers

Quote by dspellman

Darkflame
2,141 IQ
We're still working on "Why would you want to go from a kickass amp to a shitty one?"
The Vox is a mile ahead of the spider. Other suggestions for 500 pounds include a Vox AC15, a Traynor YCV40, a Peavey Vypyr tube, an Orange Tiny Terror of some sort, a Marshall class 5, a Fender Blues junior/hot rod deluxe, a Peavey 6505+ 112, it all depends on what you're going to play with it.

edit:
Quote by AcousticMirror

She's hot.

Edit 2:

Quote by Dave_MC
EDIT: epic work there darkflame. that's what a room should look like

You should see the other side of the room. Drumkit, keyboards on a rack into a 200w kb amp.
Last edited by Darkflame at Nov 3, 2012,
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl
2,967 IQ
Quote by Darkflame

You should see the other side of the room. Drumkit, keyboards on a rack into a 200w kb amp.

haha yay

i really must take a pic of my room for teh lulz. i'm waiting till it's finished, though.

Quote by Darkflame
We're still working on "Why would you want to go from a kickass amp to a shitty one?"

that too. but one of those tube modellers might be the thing if he's really set on this downgrade.
Quote by crownegamers

Quote by dspellman

Darkflame
2,141 IQ
Oh, and keep using a pod with headphones in mind, the HD500 are supposed to be super great. I still have an old XT Live in my closet, and haven't turned it on in years, but I remember it sounding great. Seeing as they improved the technology, I'm guessing it must be starting to be bluffing.
Sid McCall
(Actually, I'm Scott)
2,713 IQ
Quote by paul w1
Ok guys we still haven't really got an answer to the original question which was what was the best amp the Vox or the Spider. That aside what i'm after is a good allround amp (combo) with plenty of built in effects so i don't have to have loads of pedals all over the floor. I don't mind tube or SS for up to £500.

Why do you want to give up your pedals for built-in effects? Is it really a huge hassle having a pedalboard? If it is, that's cool, that's your call. If not, then I highly recommend downgrading to a tiny terror + 112 cab, or the tiny terror combo, and keeping your pedalboard intact and keeping your effects at your feet.

If you really want everything in one package, the spider tube amps are actually pretty great.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
paul w1
729 IQ
Thanks for all the suggestions guys, i just had a listen to the spider tube on you tube and it sounds very nice and it has a lot of effects, the only thing is it's 40w and it could be to loud at home. I'm just going to have a listen to the others.
paul w1
729 IQ
Had a listen to most of the suggested amps and the best sound for me was the Traynor ycv40 and then the spider tube. I can't see the Traynor for sale in the UK though.
Darkflame
2,141 IQ
Consider the YCV40wr, it is better than the original as it has a Vintage 30 speaker. The Spider might sound good on youtube clips, but it gets old fast. I use one occasionally in our rehearsal space, and it sucks really bad.
Also, keep in mind that you find your 30 watt head overkill, but are considering going for a 40w amp. No offense, but that is quite ridiculous.
paul w1
729 IQ
Thanks for that and that's a fair comment on the 30-40w, i will get down to the music shop and try them out thanks,,,Paul.
MaggaraMarine
Slapping the bass.
3,472 IQ
Even 5 watts will be loud for home practice. I mean, it's pretty loud cranked when you are playing alone. But that's why there's a volume knob. I have a Laney VC30 and keep it at volume 1 and it still sounds good and better than the Spider at any volume with any settings. And what's wrong with a pedal board? Built in effects usually suck and also you want to control them with your feet. Now you already have a pedal board that you control with your feet. If your pedal board is too big, maybe consider selling some pedals that you don't use. Or then just plug your guitar straight to your amp and listen to the pure sound. Still, you need to buy the foot pedal like FBV shortboard if you are going for Line 6. And it will be as big as a small pedal board. Also tweaking your stompboxes is a lot easier than tweaking built in effects.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl
2,967 IQ
thomann sells the traynor ycv50b for a really killer price- ~£450 or so depending on the exchange rate. It's basically the same thing as the ycv40 except with el34s and a vintage 30 speaker. For some reason they sell the ycv40wr for about £1500 (o_O).
Quote by crownegamers

Quote by dspellman

paul w1
729 IQ
Thanks again guys, the main reason for a combo is the lack of room when 3 or 4 of us are in the same room and if i want to go to my mates house it will be a lot easier to carry and setup.
bassmastamitch
Isn't good at bass
1,412 IQ
Quote by paul w1
Thanks again guys, the main reason for a combo is... it will be a lot easier to carry

Not necessarily. Some combos can be extremely heavy despite their size. That's a benefit of head/cab.
paul w1
729 IQ
Quote by bassmastamitch
Not necessarily. Some combos can be extremely heavy despite their size. That's a benefit of head/cab.

I wasn't talking about weight, just that it was one piece.
paul w1
729 IQ
Quote by MaggaraMarine
Even 5 watts will be loud for home practice. I mean, it's pretty loud cranked when you are playing alone. But that's why there's a volume knob. I have a Laney VC30 and keep it at volume 1 and it still sounds good and better than the Spider at any volume with any settings. And what's wrong with a pedal board? Built in effects usually suck and also you want to control them with your feet. Now you already have a pedal board that you control with your feet. If your pedal board is too big, maybe consider selling some pedals that you don't use. Or then just plug your guitar straight to your amp and listen to the pure sound. Still, you need to buy the foot pedal like FBV shortboard if you are going for Line 6. And it will be as big as a small pedal board. Also tweaking your stompboxes is a lot easier than tweaking built in effects.

I just had a listen to the Laney vc30 and it sounds great so i will try that when i get to the shop. When you say the Laney sounds better than the spider are you talking about the tube spider or the SS or both.
lemurflames
Ronnie
188 IQ
Orange makes combos. Sell your Orange head and cab and get one.
Ibanez RG652KFX Prestige
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
MaggaraMarine
Slapping the bass.
3,472 IQ
Quote by paul w1
I just had a listen to the Laney vc30 and it sounds great so i will try that when i get to the shop. When you say the Laney sounds better than the spider are you talking about the tube spider or the SS or both.

I'm not sure about if the VC30 is for you. And I'm talking about the solid state Spider (I haven't tried the tube). The heaviest music you will play on VC30 is hard rock (Guns N' Roses, AC/DC and stuff, 80s hair metal). The clean channel is great.

EDIT: What styles do you play? Name some bands.

Also Youtube clips don't always tell the truth. The best way to find out how different amps sound is to go and try them.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Last edited by MaggaraMarine at Nov 4, 2012,
nickdohle
Let's a go Mario!
1,271 IQ
What you really need is a better neighbor and or attenuator. They dont get a lot of love around here for burning up tubes super fast. But you dont HAVE to crank it all the way and then lower it with an attenuator.

You should read the CEC amp thread about Watts and Sound level. Still should be on the front page. Great read and lots of things to learn.
paul w1
729 IQ
Quote by MaggaraMarine
I'm not sure about if the VC30 is for you. And I'm talking about the solid state Spider (I haven't tried the tube). The heaviest music you will play on VC30 is hard rock (Guns N' Roses, AC/DC and stuff, 80s hair metal). The clean channel is great.

EDIT: What styles do you play? Name some bands.

Also Youtube clips don't always tell the truth. The best way to find out how different amps sound is to go and try them.

Guns n' Roses is about as heavy as we go and is my fav band.
Cathbard
Grumpy Old Tech
2,565 IQ
If you replace a TH30 with a Spider you do realise that we are bound by law to burn you at the stake don't you? I wouldn't say that a TH30 is even a little bit OTT if you like jamming with a drummer at times, in fact I'd say it was just right.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
paul w1
729 IQ
I think being burnt at the stake is a bit harsh but if that's the rules then so be it. The TH30 is a great amp and has made my ears bleed many times but it's time for a change. I've just seen a Line 6 Spider Valve 112 Tube Amp on e/bay, if it goes for a reasonable price i will try that before i sell the TH30.
lemurflames
Ronnie
188 IQ
Spiders. The worst amps you can possibly buy. Especially the Spider Valves. It's just a Spider with tubes in it. It's pointless. Some how even more pointless than a Blackstar HT-5. Just get a Tiny Terror or whatever and run one of Line 6's massive effects pedals through it. Then you will have TRUE tube tone with all of the electronic gizmos Line 6 offers.
Ibanez RG652KFX Prestige
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB