Page 1 of 5
Post a short list of thinkers that have most influenced you along with a short reason why. These can range from philosophical, political to economic thinkers.
Absolutely no attacks on others' beliefs or name calling and you will be polite. Polite and constructive discussion is welcome.

To start the thread, in no particular order:
-John Locke, for his political work on separating government powers, but especially on his thoughts on rights of man.
-David Ricardo, for his work on economics and rationalizing free trade through the theory of comparative advantage.
-Adam Smith, for his work on the observation of markets and father of modern economics.
-Hippocrates, as the father of Western medicine. An obvious choice for a medical student.
-Milton Friedman, for his academic work (on monetary theory especially) and for his political work in an era where the intellectual climate was against him.

Edit: You can name fictional influences along with family members and pretty much anyone you can think of. Add a short sentence explaining why though.
Last edited by Tastytaco at Nov 4, 2012,
Stephen Hawking - He doesn't let his body stop his research, he has adapted and changed, and he can explain complex ideas and theories in a way that everyone can understand and enjoy.
Quote by Renka
OddOneOut is an Essex S&M mistress and not a pirate or a computer program.

Quote by OddOneOut
Stephen Hawking - He doesn't let his body stop his research, he has adapted and changed, and he can explain complex ideas and theories in a way that everyone can understand and enjoy.

If he's so smart than why can't he learn how to walk?
Quote by LostLegion

sometimes I see us in a cymbal splash or in the sound of a car crash
Quote by LostLegion
Quote by Renka

-Jesus and others in the Bible; not hard to figure that one out.
- C. S. Lewis because he was a very "natural Christian."
-Perry Stone because he is also very natural and literal about his Christianity.

Those are the only ones I can think of that influence me but there also a couple who have been able to say the things that I already had thought:

- V (are fictional characters allowed?) because he emphasized the power of abstract ideas.
-Tyler Durden. I can't talk about him.

I guess I could say Kurt Cobain (so cliche) used to be but not so much anymore. I still like a few things he said.
For how can I give the King his place of worth above all else
when I spend my time striving to place the crown upon myself?
Jay - For helping me understand myself and my disease better

Bruce Bueno de Mesquita - for pretty much everything he has ever done
Quote by ChucklesMginty
Cheers for helping me understand my disease bro.

Liking men.

Also, Zappa. Zappa. Zappa. Zappa, man.

Homosexuality isn't a disease, and you should feel badly for even joking about that.
Quote by Rawshik

- C. S. Lewis because he was a very "natural Christian."

C. S. Lewis was converted to christianity by JRR Tolkien, what's natural about that?
Quote by Rawshik
-Jesus

Yeah, even as an atheist I'd agree with that, his quoting of the Golden Rule and lessons on not judging others were very inspiring.
Last edited by SlackerBabbath at Nov 4, 2012,
Quote by Accipiter
C. S. Lewis was converted to christianity by JRR Tolkien, what's natural about that?

Yup, but that's not what I meant by natural at all. Lewis was a Christian that put his biblical beliefs into the senses of the world around him.
I'm pretty sure C.S. Lewis was baptised by the Church of Ireland, then he stopped believing in Christianity, then when he was 30-something he went back because of Tolkien.

Quote by Jyrgen

Are you forgetting someone?

Last edited by LostLegion at Nov 4, 2012,
I'm glad y'all bring up Tolkien because I thought about him when I was making my original list but didn't add him because I don't know as much about him.
Quote by Tastytaco
Post a short list of thinkers that have most influenced you along with a short reason why. These can range from philosophical, political to economic thinkers.
Absolutely no attacks on others' beliefs or name calling and you will be polite. Polite and constructive discussion is welcome.

To start the thread, in no particular order:
-John Locke, for his political work on separating government powers, but especially on his thoughts on rights of man.
-David Ricardo, for his work on economics and rationalizing free trade through the theory of comparative advantage.
-Adam Smith, for his work on the observation of markets and father of modern economics.
-Hippocrates, as the father of Western medicine. An obvious choice for medical student.
-Milton Friedman, for his academic work (on monetary theory especially) and for his political work in an era where the intellectual climate was against him.

I dont understand the ricardo one. Why not take krugman instead? Or those others with better models than Ricardo?.

My list
- John nash for game theory
-Paul krugman for his trade and new economic growth theories (not his macro stuff)
-f.a. hayek for his work on the austrian business cycle theory as well as the economic calculation problem.
Quote by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ
Last edited by Neo Evil11 at Nov 4, 2012,
Quote by LostLegion
I'm pretty sure C.S. Lewis was baptised by the Church of Ireland, then he stopped believing in Christianity, then when he was 30-something he went back because of Tolkien.

Are you forgetting someone?

Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
Ricardo's idea on comparative trade isn't too bad though. If he liked Ricardo for his LTV, theory of distribution or growth then maybe we'd have a problem.
Quote by Rawshik
Yup, but that's not what I meant by natural at all. Lewis was a Christian that put his biblical beliefs into the senses of the world around him.

I find your avatar to be blasphemy
sometimes I see us in a cymbal splash or in the sound of a car crash
Quote by OddOneOut

You do realise that makes him sound like the Terminator, right?
Hey, look. Sigs are back.
Quote by Accipiter
C. S. Lewis was converted to christianity by JRR Tolkien,

Yeah but as a devout Catholic Tolkien was apparently pretty pissed off when Lewis joined the Church of England.
Last edited by SlackerBabbath at Nov 4, 2012,
Quote by DisarmGoliath
You do realise that makes him sound like the Terminator, right?

How do YOU know he hasn't mounted a few kilowatt lasers on board his wheel chair?
Quote by Renka

the pastor at the church i went to up until i was 12, who then helped me and my 2 sisters when it came to maths, being an ex maths teacher
DONT RISK IT, BUY A BASS AMP
Quote by OddOneOut
How do YOU know he hasn't mounted a few kilowatt lasers on board his wheel chair?

Now that you mention it, that is a possibility.

Quote by moody git
the pastor at the church i went to up until i was 12, who then helped me and my 2 sisters when it came to maths, being an ex maths teacher

Until you said 'when it came to maths' I was convinced that was going to be a paedo joke!
Hey, look. Sigs are back.
SlackerBabbath
If you do something right, no one will know you've done anything at all

Proud to be called Best Friends with Pastafarian96
- Leon Trotsky/Karl Marx
- George Orwell
- Franz Kafka
Quote by Karl Marx
Reason has always existed, but not always in a reasonable form.
Quote by Cianyx
Ricardo's idea on comparative trade isn't too bad though. If he liked Ricardo for his LTV, theory of distribution or growth then maybe we'd have a problem.

But heksher-ohlin was much better.
Quote by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ
Page 1 of 5