Professionally is a bit of a strong word to use for this but it'll do. If I am posting this in the wrong section I apologize. Kinda rushing through this post.

Basically I just want to record right from my amp into some kind of software where I can edit in an MP3 as a backing track at a low volume. As you can assume yes it's just for cover videos.

I've got a couple hundred bucks for some good tools to help me get a nice sound but I'd like it to be as cheap as possible, and something a computer illiterate guy could use with ease (lol).

Apologies if I'm being a bit blunt. Thanks for the help in advance though.
90% of it is in the mics. A truly professional recording will usually use at least two mikes; a decent dynamic like an SM57 up close and something stupidly expensive like a Neuman U87 back a foot or three. Good mikes are essential because, "shit in, shit out."
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
To record it properly, get a USB mixer/interface and a microphone and stick it on the cab. Most interfaces these days come with some kind of recording software (Cubase LE, Reaper, etc) and some instructions on how to hook everything up and start recording. Check out the Peavey PV6USB, M-Audio Fast Track and the Focusrite Scarlett 8. Microphones have a look at Shure SM57/58, Sennheiser E606 or an AKG D5. All are affordable and sound good. Pick up an XLR/XLR lead and a desk boom mic stand for the cabinet.

To record it professionally, you need to have experience with doing it and the best way to get that experience is just through pure experimentation. You don't need to have a degree in audio engineering to get good sounds in a recording.
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
Quote by Cathbard
90% of it is in the mics. A truly professional recording will usually use at least two mikes; a decent dynamic like an SM57 up close and something stupidly expensive like a Neuman U87 back a foot or three. Good mikes are essential because, "shit in, shit out."

Is it not possible to get similar results with an SM57 and multiple recordings in different positions?
Quote by Malice26
Professionally is a bit of a strong word to use for this but it'll do. If I am posting this in the wrong section I apologize. Kinda rushing through this post.

Basically I just want to record right from my amp into some kind of software where I can edit in an MP3 as a backing track at a low volume. As you can assume yes it's just for cover videos.

I've got a couple hundred bucks for some good tools to help me get a nice sound but I'd like it to be as cheap as possible, and something a computer illiterate guy could use with ease (lol).

Apologies if I'm being a bit blunt. Thanks for the help in advance though.

you might be better off in the recording section, and this may get moved there (many do).

there is actually a few ways of going about this. it'd be helpful to know what computer you will use and what amp you have.

first you'll need software. a DAW (digital audio workstation) will allow you to record multiple individual tracks and it'll also allow you to import backing tracks into the software, that way you can mix what you record with the cover song. this also allows you to record you guitar in a manner that lets you sync up with the backing track.

depending on you computer you can get (or already have) a variety of DAW's available. i have used garageband for Mac (it comes with the OS). if you don't have a mac or just wanna try different DAW's then just google 'free DAW' and start searching.

you can technically also download free amp sims, or get free versions (revalver, amplitube, etc) and use a simple line in for guitar tracks.

if you want to use your amp and get a more professional sound then i'd invest in a USB or firewire interface, i use presonus stuff but there are plenty of other good companies like focusrite, mackie, etc.

i'd also get a fairly good microphone like a sm57 (that is what i mainly use), but you can spend a little more and get something like a AT2035 if you want.

if you are only going to record a single track at a time, then you can save some cash on buying an interface and a standard microphone and just buy a USB microphone like one of these http://www.sweetwater.com/c981--USB_Microphones

as far as placing the mic, place it an inch or so from the grille near the center of the speaker. try experimenting with positions if you wanna be picky.

if you are going to play amp with a mic you'd be best served by using headphones so you can cleanly hear what is going on and so your playback won't bleed into the recording mic.

hope that helps
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
The first time you use something like a U87 you will slap yourself across the head and say, "so that's what has been missing all these years."
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
The first time you use something like a U87 you will slap yourself across the head and say, "so that's what has been missing all these years."

Well that's the case with most expensive items. I'd love to ditch my Vypyr for and Axe FX 2 right now, but that just isn't possible
Quote by Cathbard

You gotta take out a loan to buy it first though.
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
Quote by Eppicurt
You gotta take out a loan to buy it first though.

Indeed. The only time I've ever had the privilege of using one it was one the other guitarist borrowed from the studio he worked at. The difference between that and a dynamic mike (good ones too) is like night and day.
We'd spent a fortune on processors and gadgets trying to sort out the vocals to no avail. Plugged the U87 into the desk and instantly all the issues we were having simply vanished. It was a real eye opener.

Yes, warpig, truly professional equipment costs a lot of money. It's a shit but that's how it is.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Nov 4, 2012,
Meh. The U87 is a good mic, but its only as good as the sum of the parts (ie: mic preamp, converters, and most importantly, the user's experience in micing and mixing techniques). You don't need $2000 mics to get great results, there are hundreds upon thousands of professional studios who are putting out records recorded with just an SM57 on guitars.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZUdff2Lex0

Example of what a 57 can do.
Quote by SimplyBen

Quote by Toppscore
What sort of mickey mouse pro studio doesn't have a U87 (or similar) or three?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
don't you need a good recording environment or something to go the mic route? i thought he was asking for amps with emulated out, or amp sims, stuff like that.
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
Oh yeah, for sure. You gotta get the acoustics of the room right. That's an art in itself.

If you are only close miking you can get away with crappier acoustics but if using near and far mikes it matters heaps. If the room has bad acoustics your good condenser "far" mic is going to be picking that up too.
I've seen studios with movable sound baffles for fine tuning the liveliness of the room for different instruments. It's amazing what small changes can have on the room. It's real "gotta see it to believe it" stuff.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Nov 5, 2012,
Quote by Cathbard
Oh yeah, for sure. You gotta get the acoustics of the room right. That's an art in itself.

If you are only close miking you can get away with crappier acoustics but if using near and far mikes it matters heaps. If the room has bad acoustics your good condenser "far" mic is going to be picking that up too.
I've seen studios with movable sound baffles for fine tuning the liveliness of the room for different instruments. It's amazing what small changes can have on the room. It's real "gotta see it to believe it" stuff.

ah...so with a budget of a couple hundred dollars, isn't emulation a better option? i'm always baffled when people recommend mics and stuff right off the bat before establishing that there is indeed a decent place to record it with.
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
Well yeah, that's pretty much what I was saying. To do it professionally with mikes on cabs is pretty involved and costly. I was sorta trying to scare him off going down that path. I mean, who the hell can afford a U87 apart from pro studios?
Kemper, AxeFX, maybe a Pod HD. Maybe Derek will chime in about his Kemper. Good software and a nice interface would be the practical and cheap way to get close enough to professional to keep you happy.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I think you guys are over-thinking this too much. He just wants to do some Youtube cover songs and only has a couple hundred to spend. He's not looking to produce a professional EP or an album.
Quote by SimplyBen

Quote by Toppscore
If it's clean or simple tone, just use GR or something with an interface/DAW. Will sound fine if you set the tone and levels well.
ITT: Someone who thinks you need a U87 to do YouTube covers...

Okay kids, lulz aside, SAffire 6 or Scarlett 2i4 and a SM57 or free amp sims and you're set.
Derpy Derp Derp Herp Derp
I'd be going Guitar --> Interface --> Amp Simulator if you just want a good sound for youtube covers. Check out both the interfaces, and the amp sims sticky for help with those.
Quote by Cathbard
Well yeah, that's pretty much what I was saying. To do it professionally with mikes on cabs is pretty involved and costly. I was sorta trying to scare him off going down that path. I mean, who the hell can afford a U87 apart from pro studios?
Kemper, AxeFX, maybe a Pod HD. Maybe Derek will chime in about his Kemper. Good software and a nice interface would be the practical and cheap way to get close enough to professional to keep you happy.

Yep, honestly the Kemper is so close that I haven't touched my 5150 since I bought it.

Granted, I'm not playing out... which is the only reason I really keep the 5150 around, cause if I ever need it, it's there (plus it looks ****ing cool to have 2 giant stacks for no apparent reason ) - But when I have customers who want reamps, you bet your ass that I'm doing it with a Kemper profile of the 5150, cause it's as easy as hitting one button, no setup required, or reamp boxes that add a bunch of noise and don't output at the correct level

Obviously the TS can't afford the Kemper though... but people get great results with amp sims. Hell, Joey Sturgis has been making a fortune off of POD Farm tones producing all the risecore bands in the world. Plenty of YouTube guys out there using free amp sims from TSE, LePou and Nick Crowe, getting tones that are better than some major release albums. Periphery practically created an entire genre based around an amp simulator used for guitar tones.

That being said, throwing an SM57 in front of a cab really isn't that dependent on the acoustics around it. Obviously if it's being recorded in a tiny space, it'll sound tiny, but assuming that you're close micing at ~4" or less from the grille, you're not picking up too much of the room (especially if you're using a cardioid dynamic mic), since the amp is cranked so loud that the mic can't "hear" much else. If you're using a condenser though, that's a different story. It's going to pick up a lot more of the room. There's always exceptions though, but with high gain tones, I wouldn't really worry about your room being acoustically crap, as long as you're tracking at a volume that's louder than any other noise in the room. The room isn't going to make or break your guitar tone for high gain (though it could certainly get better with treatment), but it certainly could when mixing
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Buy a Firewire/USB interface and use Pod Farm will probably be the smoothest approach. But if you are that guy that likes to play around for hours with the mic to cab, get a SM57 and mic your amp. Or do both, so you can record in the night with pod farm so you don't disturb anyone and when you are no disturbing anyone you can record with the real amp.

You can get a good interface for around 150$, Mic for 90$ and Pod Farm free if you buy a Line 6 interface.
Pod Farm looks like a lot of fun, I've never used it. Such a cheap way go get yourself set up.

And agreed, Derek. If you are recording metal you'd just close mike it. But you wouldn't record Mark Knopfler that way would you?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by tottsk1
Buy a Firewire/USB interface and use Pod Farm will probably be the smoothest approach. But if you are that guy that likes to play around for hours with the mic to cab, get a SM57 and mic your amp. Or do both, so you can record in the night with pod farm so you don't disturb anyone and when you are no disturbing anyone you can record with the real amp.

You can get a good interface for around 150$, Mic for 90$ and Pod Farm free if you buy a Line 6 interface.

The problem is, Pod Farm is absolute shit.
Quote by lockwolf

This, check out the interfaces sticky and the amp sim sticky.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Quote by Eppicurt
I think you guys are over-thinking this too much. He just wants to do some Youtube cover songs and only has a couple hundred to spend. He's not looking to produce a professional EP or an album.

This.

A good amp, an SM57 and a half-decent preamp will get you there.

Or amp modelling software.

On an AXE-FX.
Quote by ChemicalFire
This, check out the interfaces sticky and the amp sim sticky.

How has it taken so long for someone to post the only correct answer?!!

When I read the subject, my initial thought was to state the obvious - to record professionally, get a professional to do it. Then as soon as you read the OP, it's an obvious repeat of the standard how to record question.

Gibson LP Traditional, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm > TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Quote by lockwolf

That's as far from the truth you can come. Without any EQ'ing Pod Farm will sound like shit, you need to do surgical cuts on specific freqs to get rid of harsh tones, but that you have to do with almost all Amp sims. If the guitars are soloed Pod farm will sound, but in a mix with drums and bass it can sound massive if you know what you are doing.
Quote by tottsk1
That's as far from the truth you can come. Without any EQ'ing Pod Farm will sound like shit, you need to do surgical cuts on specific freqs to get rid of harsh tones, but that you have to do with almost all Amp sims. If the guitars are soloed Pod farm will sound, but in a mix with drums and bass it can sound massive if you know what you are doing.

Thing is, I don't need to do those harsh cuts as often with Headcase (Free for lite/$40 for full) or BrainWorx RockRack (Not as many models but its the closest model to a real JCM800 I've ever used). Also, the speaker cab models with PF are pretty meh. The only thing I've found Pod Farm good for is the FX.

On top of that, the GX/UX1/UX2 preamps are pretty lackluster compared to the Focusrite Scarlett & Saffire series. So, you're spending $100-$200 on a subpar interface with a pretty meh amp sim when you could spend $150-$200 on a solid interface & use a free amp sim.
Was not expecting this much feedback at all...dayum.

Anyways, I like the idea of a cheap amp sim that sounds good. Less hassle than having a mic around, and like someone said before it's only for some covers, maybe an original piece here and there. Keeping it simple sounds real good. An AxeFx....tad over the top there.

I'll check in on those sticky threads, see my options and what not. Again, I appreciate the help guys.
GR5 has a free demo that works forever, just can't save and it turns off every 30 mins. Some decent presets though so you can get some good tones for free.

There is a clean track in my profile using GR5 if you want to hear it, it's a rough bit of an idea I just had. I usually play with lots of gain and fast, so this is pretty different for me
Last edited by Tempoe at Nov 5, 2012,