AeonOptic
1,606 IQ
Hey there. I'm looking to get a decent fuzz pedal, but I'm on a tight budget of from around £30-60.
I'm attracted to buying a Little Big Muff. However, I do not know if this is the best choice as due to my location I am unable to test it in person, or any other fuzz pedal for that matter.
I'm aiming for a Hendrix-esque and/or Tame Impala sounding fuzz.
If it helps, I'm using a Squier Stratocaster, through a Crybaby Wah to a Fender Bullet 15 DSP amp.
Last edited by AeonOptic at Nov 5, 2012,
Robbgnarly
Tab Contributor
1,177 IQ
Honestly get a new amp. You wont get a very good sound out of that amp reguardless of what pedal you buy. Look for a used Vox VT or Fender Mustang II.

If you have to buy a pedal, look at Joyo, Harley benton (rebranded joyo )and Tonerider
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
tubetime86
I don't even play guitar.
1,633 IQ
Quote by pinheadslts75
The big box Big Muff sounds better.

How are the circuits different?
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
AeonOptic
1,606 IQ
Quote by Robbgnarly
Honestly get a new amp. You wont get a very good sound out of that amp reguardless of what pedal you buy. Look for a used Vox VT or Fender Mustang II.

If you have to buy a pedal, look at Joyo, Harley benton (rebranded joyo )and Tonerider

I happen to own a Mustang II also, but due to its bulk I use the Bullet for practice at the computer, so I keep my pedals down with it until I use the Mustang for group practice. I also find it quite difficult to get a good clean tone on the Mustang. It seems a bit dull on single notes.
jakeyrotten
14 IQ
Buy a tube amp. I would recc'd the Fender Hot Rod series, since you seem to like Fenders. I play the Hot Rod Deville, 2x12 60W and I get a pretty good range of distorted sounds out of it. It covers everything from light bluesy OD to heavy crunch, my band covers stuff like STP and Queens of the Stone Age and I get compliments about my tone a lot. Dialing in a nice "Purple Haze" tone is pretty easy with the Deville. But tone is really about your hands anyway. Maybe try "scooping" (bass & treble on 11, mids around 3 or 4) the channel on the amp you have, I've seen this work pretty well with Strats if you're going for a punchy tone.

But if you're going for a Hendrix tone, you might wanna try the Dunlop Hendrix Fuzz Face, though it's out of your price range. Probably worth it though if you're using a solid state amp.
AeonOptic
1,606 IQ
Quote by jakeyrotten
Buy a tube amp. I would recc'd the Fender Hot Rod series, since you seem to like Fenders. I play the Hot Rod Deville, 2x12 60W and I get a pretty good range of distorted sounds out of it. It covers everything from light bluesy OD to heavy crunch, my band covers stuff like STP and Queens of the Stone Age and I get compliments about my tone a lot. Dialing in a nice "Purple Haze" tone is pretty easy with the Deville. But tone is really about your hands anyway. Maybe try "scooping" (bass & treble on 11, mids around 3 or 4) the channel on the amp you have, I've seen this work pretty well with Strats if you're going for a punchy tone.

But if you're going for a Hendrix tone, you might wanna try the Dunlop Hendrix Fuzz Face, though it's out of your price range. Probably worth it though if you're using a solid state amp.

The problem with getting a decent tube amp is I do not have a regular job to get the money to be able to afford one. Though, how much does yours cost?
jakeyrotten
14 IQ
Quote by AeonOptic
The problem with getting a decent tube amp is I do not have a regular job to get the money to be able to afford one. Though, how much does yours cost?

I got mine used, I paid $600 I think. Brand-new I think it's like $900, might be less in pounds. They do make a smaller version called the Deluxe that's more affordable. Maybe look into the Fuzz Face, I've seen a few classic-rock guys use it for Hendrix covers with nice results. Maybe you can find one used for cheap. Happy hunting!
Last edited by jakeyrotten at Nov 5, 2012,
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl
2,967 IQ
big muff is probably more modern-sounding, halfway to a distortion, type of fuzz.

No idea what tame impala is, the guardian mentioned them one day which put me off

hendrix is more fuzz face. there are some pedal builders in the UK building fuzz face clones for reasonable money (£50 or so), people like madebymike, boostswitch etc. Though- I've never tried them, so I have absolutely no idea if they're any good or not.

You also have mooer- ditto, haven't tried them (yet).

new amp would be a good call, too- on the cheap, something like a vht special 6 or special 6 ultra might be worth a look, or a laney cub (haven't tried it) or something like that. That's still gonna be at least £100 if not closer to £200, though.
Quote by classicrocker01
Only on UG would I say I got engaged and bought a jet city and get congratulated on the amp

AeonOptic
1,606 IQ
Quote by jakeyrotten
I got mine used, I paid $600 I think. Brand-new I think it's like $900, might be less in pounds. They do make a smaller version called the Deluxe that's more affordable. Maybe look into the Fuzz Face, I've seen a few classic-rock guys use it for Hendrix covers with nice results. Maybe you can find one used for cheap. Happy hunting!

Thanks!
Would you consider a fuzz face clone to be as good, or not worth it?
@Dave: Tama Impala is an Aussie psychedelic rock band. Quite an important part of the sound of the guitars in their first album is the fuzziness of it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7jekYAm3fkA#t=3m20s
Last edited by AeonOptic at Nov 5, 2012,
lucky1978
Blues Kazooist
920 IQ
If you're gonna buy new, you should buy both the big muff and fuzz face. Fiddle-faddle around on both pedals for a couple days and then just take/send the one you don't want back. Hell, take 'em both back and buy the one you liked better on the used market
Green_Ghoul
3,307 IQ
get a new amp first, then either get a big muff or a fuzz factory or even a blue box. I have a russia big muff and a blue box and they compliment eachother greatly.
jakeyrotten
14 IQ
Quote by AeonOptic
Thanks!
Would you consider a fuzz face clone to be as good, or not worth it?
@Dave: Tama Impala is an Aussie psychedelic rock band. Quite an important part of the sound of the guitars in their first album is the fuzziness of it.

I can't say, I haven't used a Fuzz Face in my own signal path. My experience with it has been hearing other guys use it (with both tube and solid state), with good results. I would try fiddling around with your amp's EQ, put your distortion on 4 or 5, scoop out the mids down to about 4 and roll the bass & treble up to 8 or 9. And put your strat on the bridge pickup. That's a quick baseline setting I use for Hendrix-style stuff. Definately check out the clones they make in the UK, you'll prolly find one in your price range that does the trick.
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl
2,967 IQ
Quote by AeonOptic

i'm not too well up on fuzzes- i'd have said that sounded more like a FF to me than a muff, but i've never actually tried a FF (heard plenty of soundclips, though) and have only tried a muff a couple of times. so probably treat what i'm saying with a pinch of salt, in other words
Quote by classicrocker01
Only on UG would I say I got engaged and bought a jet city and get congratulated on the amp

AeonOptic
1,606 IQ
Okay, thanks guys! I think I'll go for a fuzz face when I scrimp up enough to buy it, and look for a decent amp in future. The main problem is lack of regular income, otherwise I'd jump at both!
AeonOptic
1,606 IQ
Apologies for the double post, but I've been looking at a Joyo (I think it's called) Octave Fuzz. Is it worth getting both a fuzz pedal with octave up and just a normal pedal, or would it be better to keep saving the FF?
greeny23
This is me now!
6,045 IQ
half the joyo pedals come broken so if you wanna take that risk then go for it.
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl
2,967 IQ
Quote by AeonOptic
Apologies for the double post, but I've been looking at a Joyo (I think it's called) Octave Fuzz. Is it worth getting both a fuzz pedal with octave up and just a normal pedal, or would it be better to keep saving the FF?

it might be a different style of fuzz in the octave fuzz. that'd be the concern (i dunno, i've never really tried an octave fuzz).

All my joyos are fine- but i've seen enough people getting DOA ones that I may have just been lucky. Thomann sells some of the joyos rebranded under the harley benton brand (not the fuzz, though) with a 3 year warranty and a little cheaper than you can get them in the UK- and also, if my experience (and some other people's) was anything to go by, they don't even ask you to send the faulty one back as it's uneconomical.

Anyway, long story short, if you are considering joyos, probably get them from thomann (assuming they do the one(s) you want).

Quote by AeonOptic
Broken as in physically or just not working?

would that make any difference?
Quote by classicrocker01

AeonOptic
1,606 IQ
Quote by Dave_Mc
would that make any difference?

Well I would have assumed that someone that knew what they were doing (not me) would probably be able to rehouse the circuitry etc in a different box.
Last edited by AeonOptic at Nov 6, 2012,
forsaknazrael
..kupo?
3,141 IQ
Quote by NakedInTheRain
there are a couple of minor differences. they're documented on kitrae's website.

I've noticed that newer NYC and presumably the LBMs contain a few more coupling caps around the tone control area. This is one thing that sets them apart from older circuits.
joe_k
stereo amp connaisseur
244 IQ
Quote by Dave_Mc
if my experience (and some other people's) was anything to go by, they don't even ask you to send the faulty one back as it's uneconomical.

This is such bad business. I could well buy a Joyo, email them and say it doesn't work and they send me another one. So i get 2 for the price of 1.

I work for a company which does swaps on faulty equipment and if we don't get the faulty one back then we invoice the customer for the price of the unit. You can't really put trust in consumers, they will rip you off at every chance.

I guess they are producing so cheap that their magins allow for this. plus hopefully people are being honest and not ripping them off and it stays that way.
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl
2,967 IQ
Quote by joe_k
This is such bad business. I could well buy a Joyo, email them and say it doesn't work and they send me another one. So i get 2 for the price of 1.

I work for a company which does swaps on faulty equipment and if we don't get the faulty one back then we invoice the customer for the price of the unit. You can't really put trust in consumers, they will rip you off at every chance.

I guess they are producing so cheap that their magins allow for this. plus hopefully people are being honest and not ripping them off and it stays that way.

I am being honest.

I guess they're working on the basis that, for all it costs them to buy the joyos, international postage on the pedal would probably cost them more than the joyo costs to begin with.

Plus I'm also guessing if the same person continually was asking for replacements, they'd maybe start to ask for them back.

Quote by forsaknazrael
ya god forbid if someone were to rebrand joyos as a boutique brand...

Quote by classicrocker01