Shadowofravenwo
Recent tube convert
1,676 IQ
Hello all,

I have a Washburn MG-44 with stock pickups, and can't find this information anywhere. I even emailed Washburn, and received no reply. How can I figure out if the stock pickups are low or med output passives in the HUmbuckers? Thanks.
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl
2,967 IQ
you should be able to tell with your ears/fingers if you're used to other pickups.

you can check their (rough) output with a multimeter, but that'll only tell you so much (google how to do that, i've never actually bothered to do that before).
Quote by classicrocker01
Only on UG would I say I got engaged and bought a jet city and get congratulated on the amp

Roc8995
2,050 IQ
Washburn seems to use mid-high output ceramics in most of their stuff.

You can always just hook up to a multimeter and measure, or use your ears. If you don't know what a medium-output pickup sounds like, what good does it do to know that you've got one?
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl
2,967 IQ
^ i guess if you're swapping them it'd give you some idea. if your current pickup is too hot (or not hot enough), knowing roughly how hot it is might help a little in deciding what to go for as a replacement.
Quote by classicrocker01
Only on UG would I say I got engaged and bought a jet city and get congratulated on the amp

Shadowofravenwo
Recent tube convert
1,676 IQ
Quote by Roc8995
Washburn seems to use mid-high output ceramics in most of their stuff.

You can always just hook up to a multimeter and measure, or use your ears. If you don't know what a medium-output pickup sounds like, what good does it do to know that you've got one?

Wouldn't that be part of the education process?

Dave_MC

Exactly. I'm trying to figure out incase I want to swap them. If I don't like that they are higher output, then wouldn't knowing that make sense?
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl
2,967 IQ
yeah it couldn't hurt

don't go too hard on colin though, he's super-helpful 99.9% of the time (and what he posted in here was good info, too, just he probably didn't realise exactly what you were asking).
Quote by classicrocker01

Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl
2,967 IQ
no worries
Quote by classicrocker01

thebestjoe
546 IQ
I think they're medium or medium-high. When I swapped the p-ups in my MG-44 for Duncan SH-6's, I noticed a huge difference in out-put.
Ibanez
Universe UV777 Signed by Steve Vai
Prestige RG2027X with Bare Knuckle Aftermaths
RG7621 swirled
Prestige RG1420
AEL207E
Shadowofravenwo
Recent tube convert
1,676 IQ
Quote by thebestjoe
I think they're medium or medium-high. When I swapped the p-ups in my MG-44 for Duncan SH-6's, I noticed a huge difference in out-put.

Which are lower or higher?
thebestjoe
546 IQ
Quote by Shadowofravenwo
Which are lower or higher?

The SH-6's were a lot higher than stock.
Ibanez
RG7621 swirled
Prestige RG1420
AEL207E
Shadowofravenwo
Recent tube convert
1,676 IQ
Quote by thebestjoe
The SH-6's were a lot higher than stock.

Nice> If you don't mind me asking what is that advantage for you in choosing hot pickups?
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl
2,967 IQ
normally either more distortion and/or better tones when using heavy distortion
Quote by classicrocker01

jeleopard
Jackson Fanboy!
1,720 IQ
Quote by Shadowofravenwo
Nice> If you don't mind me asking what is that advantage for you in choosing hot pickups?

More distortion and more shape in the distortion. But some pickups can get VERY hot (like the SD Invader and X2N).
Legion!
Original 1969 Fender Jazzmaster
Ibanez RG8
Jackson JS32R Dinky "Curry"
Schecter KM7
83 Gibson Explorer "Kimmy"
MiM Fender Jazz Bass "Pancho"
Ibanez SR485
Peavey 6505+ 112
Line 6 POD HD500
thebestjoe
546 IQ
Quote by Shadowofravenwo

Long story short, I had the Sh-6's laying around when the stock bridge went bad in it, so I didn't so much choose them. However, as that guitar is my go-to one for hair metal, so as stated right above, it helped to shape distortion better.
Ibanez
RG7621 swirled
Prestige RG1420
AEL207E