Page 5 of 7
You know I had a few replies to posts, but this thread has become cat spam.

Unless there's anyone who wants to give me opinions on experience with vocal/isolation booths, I'm abandoning this thread.

I'll leave this:

Kitty with a Fennec.
There is no more information that can be given.

Your options were handed to you and you argued every single one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QNwCojCJ3-Q
Ibanez Prestige RG852MPB
Ibanez Prestige RG652KFX
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Line 6 POD HD500X
Deadhorse OD/Boss HM-2
The thread abandoned you a long time ago. Learn to be grateful for the information given and learn to take some criticism for stupid blanket statements about gear in general.

Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
The best way to build an isolation booth is simply to build a room inside a room. Depending on where you live you may have to sit the whole room on rubber blocks. Line both the inside and outside of the walls, roof and maybe the floor - then you are introducing a second air gap.
You will also have to consider the internal acoustics but that's pretty easy, you just hang drapes on the walls. Drapes are good because you can pull them back out of the way if you want a live room for vocals or acoustic instruments.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Nov 8, 2012,
Quote by Ian_the_fox
Note I was only referring to software, not all modelers. Poulin in particular. Guitarhacker Impulses that everyone recommended.

Meh, I've never been big on LePou's stuff. The LeGion plugin is alright, but the rest I just don't dig much at all. People are always telling me the LeXTAC is great for cleans and whatever I do to that thing, always results in the most horrendously brittle clean tone I've ever heard in my life

Try TSE X50 and Catharsis impulses. Guitarhack IRs are ok, but I've never really found an impulse I liked better than Ryan's, including paid stuff from RedWirez and the like.

Quote by Ian_the_fox
Right. But why go with the lower quality option to have "more", when I'd only use about 4-5 of those amp models total (SLO model, a few clean Fenders, and possibly a Mesa Mark model for its lead tone), unless I'm playing around or recording others? I'd rather have one decently versatile amp (in this case, my JCA or a Soldano Hot Rod later on) that does its distinct sound absolutely perfect, rather than a box that replicates 40 at 85% accuracy.

Well, you pretty much answered your own answer in the first question. You might not be using many different tones in the software, at least in the scheme of things, but how much would it cost you to buy those amps? Used - $2500 for the SLO, Fenders, at least $1000 for both, Mesa Mark IV $1000. Those 4 tones you just used would've cost you $4500 to buy the real deal, and you spent $200 on your software. While I understand your reasoning in your second question, comparing a "few" tones in a modeler, to the real deal is flawed logic here. You spent 4% of the total cost of those 4 amps, and you're getting up to 85% accuracy in your book. I'd say that'd pretty damn good, even at 40% accuracy.

Quote by Ian_the_fox
And I'm sorry but I just honestly don't understand how that can possibly work. Alternating picking dynamics change the amounts of stress frequently on the preamp tubes, as we're dealing with analog signals and different clipping methods. As for wood: don't woods differ due to the different amount of overtones in each type (I had to do a report on this last year).

I have to ask, how does even the most expensive digital modeler pull this off/capture all of this? Aside from simulation? I just don't see any of this happening outside a pure analog signal in my mind.

I don't know how it works, I'm not a software engineer

I will, however, give you an example:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4018922/KemperDynamics.mp3

This clip is of my Kemper and the distortion level is controlled COMPLETELY with how soft or hard I'm strumming the strings. All settings are exactly the same for all parts, and was played live directly recorded into my interface. While I don't particularly enjoy the tone in this (I literally just loaded the patch and played), though I do enjoy it more than the VH4s I've played that it's supposedly a profile of, it certainly shows you that picking dynamics are completely capable of applying to digital technology.

Quote by Ian_the_fox
Now I don't entirely get this. I can understand if it's an extremely packed 1x12, but the Randall cab has almost the same level of square length of a standard Mesa 212, and the speaker (a V30 no less) is firing against sound absorbing foam. How is it any different than running a Mesa 2x12 mic'd with an SM57 facing a wall a few pillows sitting against it (unless I shouldn't be doing that either)?

There's your problem. You should NOT be facing that thing towards a wall. First of all, you're likely creating a lot phasing issues, because the sound isn't traveling far and being bounced back toward the mic, because pillows aren't a very good form of sound absorption, at least in anyway that's going to pleasing to the ear. Because you're facing it towards the wall, the wall itself is reflecting back a lot of high end (which is somewhat mitigated by the pillows, but likely not nearly enough to compensate), and depending on your setup, you could also be building up a good bit of lowend, which those pillows are just not going to help with at all.

It's simple really, doing what you are now, or using an isobox gives your recording a false sense of space. Ideally, you'd want your guitar out in the middle of a large room, but for close micing, it's not really necessary. What IS necessary is that the sound isn't being reflected back into the mic so quickly so as to cause issues with the initial source. While an iso cab is treated inside with a lot of foam to capture the reflections, the tiny area that's in front of the speaker is just going to end up giving you similar results to what you're already doing. Iso cabs CAN be built correctly to address the issues of boxy sounding recordings, but you're going to have to build you own, with enough space in front of the speaker, or be willing to shell out quite a bit for one, and in the end, you're still not going to have "silent" recording. Iso cabs do lessen the sound, but they don't get rid of it, especially lowend, which easily travels through walls and floors.

This is actually a pretty good representation of what I'd expect to happen with an isocab:

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/low-end-theory/345174-iso-cab-vs-normal-micing-w-audio.html

Neither tone is particularly great IMO, but you can definitely hear how the isocab sucks the dynamics out of that tone.

Basically, the reason most iso cabs fail is because a sealed cabinet works by creating a vacuum behind the speaker, which allows it to be sucked back into place as sound passes through it, creating an equalized pressure on both sides of the speaker. 99% of isocabs have a very small area in front of the speaker, which creates an unequal pressure build up, causing the speaker to not function as it should (we call this "cone cry"). If the cab has significantly more area in front of the speaker than behind, it would allow the speaker to move correctly, and reduce any phasing and issues you may have with reflections greatly, but we're talking a few extra feet in front of the speaker here, which means much more space taken up.

Quote by Cathbard
The best way to build an isolation booth is simply to build a room inside a room. Depending on where you live you may have to sit the whole room on rubber blocks. Line both the inside and outside of the walls, roof and maybe the floor - then you are introducing a second air gap.

+1 to this. That's the only way to truly "soundproof" an existing room.

I did see some material called Acoustiblok on the Sneap forum the other day that was pretty damn impressive at soundproofing from the videos (completely got rid of the sound of a jackhammer by encasing it), but how it holds up acoustically, I have no idea. For all I know it could have horrible acoustic properties and sound like ass for any studio application

Quote by Kevin Saale
And to complete the cycle:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RtOu2usF5I

Holy crap.

Not sure why this funny, but I'm laughing so hard right now

Quote by Eppicurt

LOL

This thread is so epic now.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
There's no easy solution. We all grapple with this. I agree wtih you about real tubes. You can try a palmer loadbox, they aren't half bad, but you'll want to EQ it more. its still not the real thing, but its close and you get the tube action.

building an iso both or buying, there are a million ways to go. The eaiest way is to buy one, but not cheap. if you want to build one cheap then use creativity and figure something out.

I think you don't neccessarily need 100% isolation. You just need to make it a bit quiet so you can crank it and mic it without annoying your neighbors. You can reduce the sound an awful lot even but just facing the cab at a sofa cushion. Try some things and make it work.
Quote by RStrat
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ErZfk5sz82A

I couldn't tell the difference. The actual SLO100 sounds a bit brighter, but that could be easily adjusted on the Kemper.

That's it. I want a Kemper.

But seriously Ian - this seems more like an attention grabbing trawl thread. You are a smart guy. You know what you need to do and there no sense worrying about something that isn't even real (as mentioned over and over again). I will say though that recording my amp in my suburban sounds like a great idea
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Nov 8, 2012,
Quote by Cathbard
You will also have to consider the internal acoustics but that's pretty easy, you just hang drapes on the walls. Drapes are good because you can pull them back out of the way if you want a live room for vocals or acoustic instruments.
Would you say there's any way this can be applied to something that's considered as portable? Like I can disassemble it and put it back together easily, but not compensate isolative capabilities? I've looked at Whisper Rooms but they seem a bit pricy and not as "portable" as they should be. I feel I could really cut back on costs by building my own variation.

Quote by MatrixClaw
I don't know how it works, I'm not a software engineer

I will, however, give you an example:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4018922/KemperDynamics.mp3

This clip is of my Kemper and the distortion level is controlled COMPLETELY with how soft or hard I'm strumming the strings. All settings are exactly the same for all parts, and was played live directly recorded into my interface. While I don't particularly enjoy the tone in this (I literally just loaded the patch and played), though I do enjoy it more than the VH4s I've played that it's supposedly a profile of, it certainly shows you that picking dynamics are completely capable of applying to digital technology.
Now this one does seem to do it a bit better (the Kemper) than the others I've heard. I still think I'd like to play one in person before I even begin to consider it to see how it would react to my leads.

Quote by MatrixClaw
There's your problem. You should NOT be facing that thing towards a wall. First of all, you're likely creating a lot phasing issues, because the sound isn't traveling far and being bounced back toward the mic, because pillows aren't a very good form of sound absorption, at least in anyway that's going to pleasing to the ear. Because you're facing it towards the wall, the wall itself is reflecting back a lot of high end (which is somewhat mitigated by the pillows, but likely not nearly enough to compensate), and depending on your setup, you could also be building up a good bit of lowend, which those pillows are just not going to help with at all.
You know, I've been trying to figure out why one of my tracks I recorded sounds significantly better than the others that used the same setup. I think this could have been the reason why, as the cab was sitting my my feet for that particular one. That explains everything, especially the part on the phase issues.

The part on the Isocabs makes a lot of sense, and those clips in the link really throw me away from isocabs, based on how they sound compared to real cabinets. I think I'll avoid getting one based on all of this.

Honestly from the way it sounds it truly does sound like the best option is to just use rehearsal space for recording. The iso booth is the next option, but really the only way to get the sounds I'm after is to capture it in-room.

Obviously I'll be making every attempt to avoid living in a shitty apartment with and intolerant neighbor, so I don't have to worry about any of this. But depending on locations of job, college, etc., I may end up having no choice.

I just always remember spending a week in San Francisco with my older sister, who lived in a studio apartment in Burlingame at the time, and she lived next to a Mexican family who would bitch about even her microwave being too loud.

She also had to move her bed to the opposite end of the building, because she said when it was against the wall dividing her and the other apartment, she could hear every detail of what went on in the other apartment due to how thin the wall was.

That's the last thing I want to end up with. But it's bound to happen.
Quote by Ian_the_fox
Would you say there's any way this can be applied to something that's considered as portable? Like I can disassemble it and put it back together easily, but not compensate isolative capabilities? I've looked at Whisper Rooms but they seem a bit pricy and not as "portable" as they should be. I feel I could really cut back on costs by building my own variation.

Not unless you are one hell of a tradesman - and if that was the case you wouldn't be asking that question.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by icronic

If your amp sounds good at low volumes, record at low volumes. Your neighbor can complain all he wants, but as long as you follow your citys noise restriction laws there's really nothing he can do except move or invest in some really good earplugs.

Finally. Silent recording is always a headache. Whether you use a real amp or digital modeler you're going to lose a certain degree of your sound simply because when you play guitar live through an amp the sound hits the guitar and causes it to resonate adding sustain and depth to the sound... Remove that room sound and you lose a good portion of the sound with it.

The first point is an issue depending on where you leave. You can be complying with noise laws where I live, but they are pretty much overridden if a neighbour decides to complain, no ifs or buts.

The second is a pretty important point. You don't get feedback tracking quietly or with headphones. Could be good in a way, but may be bad for that rich lead tone. I've read about Santana using that sweet spot where there's the perfect amount of feedback to make the guitar sing (without turning into a mess). Modellers should still do that if you play them at insanely loud levels.

And I'm sorry but I just honestly don't understand how that can possibly work. Alternating picking dynamics change the amounts of stress frequently on the preamp tubes, as we're dealing with analog signals and different clipping methods. As for wood: don't woods differ due to the different amount of overtones in each type (I had to do a report on this last year). I have to ask, how does even the most expensive digital modeler pull this off/capture all of this? Aside from simulation? I just don't see any of this happening outside a pure analog signal in my mind.

It's a classic application of Automatic Control, Maths and Digital Signal Processing. If you're interested : http://www.mitpressjournals.org/doi/pdf/10.1162/comj.2009.33.2.85

It's not the easiest article to follow (even having studied it ) but the Black-Box approach basically sums up how the Kemper profiles.
Quote by gumbilicious
alright, here's your ticket

You're inviting me?
Ibanez Prestige RG852MPB
Ibanez Prestige RG652KFX
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Line 6 POD HD500X
Deadhorse OD/Boss HM-2
Quote by lemurflames
You're inviting me?

i'm not on the list
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Quote by lemurflames
Exactly, so...how does that work...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GSMCRD35ch4

there is no real system. the WTLT thread is made up of long time spammers, just be respectful and entertaining without being arrogant and precocious and after one cycle* no one will think twice of you posting.

*by one cycle i mean that every year the thread gets wiped and restarted with a new name.

def don't piss people off, it is a mod fav thread. but you'll notice some of the top posters on the thread aren't even on the list, so it's just about knowing your place. the pedal board thread is almost another flavor of the same thing, except they're a little more tight knit.

-ae
Last edited by gumbilicious at Nov 9, 2012,
The gear building and customization thread is open to anyone. Non of that join the club BS. It doesn't have the amount of posts but by far its a friendlier environment to non regulars or whatever.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
See, it's important that people clarify when they say "metal", because I pretty much always assume they are a Cannibal Corpse fanboi.
Quote by R45VT
The gear building and customization thread is open to anyone. Non of that join the club BS. It doesn't have the amount of posts but by far its a friendlier environment to non regulars or whatever.

i think i made it sound like more of a boys club than it really is. but we do joke on the new guys.

-ae
Quote by gumbilicious
i think i made it sound like more of a boys club than it really is. but we do joke on the new guys.

I was joking.

Regarding the thread in GB&C: It is open to anyone. Non technical topics only. Technical make a thread.

And is is Offworld on the list and you aren't? No offense to him at all as he is a cool dude and all.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
See, it's important that people clarify when they say "metal", because I pretty much always assume they are a Cannibal Corpse fanboi.
Last edited by R45VT at Nov 9, 2012,
Ibanez Prestige RG852MPB
Ibanez Prestige RG652KFX
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Line 6 POD HD500X
Deadhorse OD/Boss HM-2
Quote by R45VT

As is the chat thread in the Recording forum

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VcmmcIGsrhk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j4ymzyCPE-c

Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Sounds lifeless like a POD

Great videos.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
Sounds like microchips.

And ones and zeros.
Ibanez Prestige RG852MPB
Ibanez Prestige RG652KFX
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Line 6 POD HD500X
Deadhorse OD/Boss HM-2
^with enough bit depth who can tell the difference?
Quote by R45VT
And is is Offworld on the list and you aren't? No offense to him at all as he is a cool dude and all.

i don't think he is on the list and i don't post enough to be on the list. i have been around a bunch recently, but i am generally more transient. you at least need consistency.

besides... how many people actually check 'The List' anyway. i post on this forum for selfish reasons. i have learned so much it's redic, people ask questions on this forum i would have never even thought of.

i couldn't even answer a 'what amp' thread properly.

-ae
I'm here for selfish reasons too. Knowledge is great. This is exactly how I got into building computers.

I don't own any amps though... Just have JamUp Pro on the iPad and the Line 6 GX with Pod Farm 1. Both are great - on the software side. The GX is crap and the Positive Grid JamUp adapter for the iDevices feels like you could crush it with your pinky. It also has a bit of a grounding issue or some other issue. Messes up if you touch it. Kinda waiting on the announcement of the Randall Satan MSRP before I make my move on a big, expensive tube amp.

Rambling post.
Ibanez Prestige RG852MPB
Ibanez Prestige RG652KFX
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Line 6 POD HD500X
Deadhorse OD/Boss HM-2
I thought the list was updated on some kind of schedule.

I'm sure the next time it is Gumbi will definitely be on it, I think he is far more knowledgeable than I am.

I was invited semi-formally, people seem to like the shit I post, 311 and I in particular are on good terms.

I post here a shit ton, mostly because I just really love helping people, and I feel like I have a good ear and have played a decent amount of gear and been to a ton of live shows so I can give somewhat competent advice.

I do feel very loved here though, and it's just nice being part of a community of cool people to pass the time and talk about the one thing I truly have a passion for.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Last edited by Offworld92 at Nov 9, 2012,
Quote by lemurflames
Sounds like microchips.

And ones and zeros.

So like a CD recording?
Quote by Ian_the_fox
Obviously I'll be making every attempt to avoid living in a shitty apartment with and intolerant neighbor, so I don't have to worry about any of this. But depending on locations of job, college, etc., I may end up having no choice.

I just always remember spending a week in San Francisco with my older sister, who lived in a studio apartment in Burlingame at the time, and she lived next to a Mexican family who would bitch about even her microwave being too loud.

She also had to move her bed to the opposite end of the building, because she said when it was against the wall dividing her and the other apartment, she could hear every detail of what went on in the other apartment due to how thin the wall was.

That's the last thing I want to end up with. But it's bound to happen.

Dude, you are so far off here. Have you ever lived by yourself? Looked for an apartment? From your posts my guess is no. When you go looking for a place to live you should contact a realtor and tell them you are looking to rent a place for now, but long term will be buying. That gets their attention and makes them want to earn your trust... So they will show you rentals just like they show for sale properties. You don't have to move in anywhere that doesn't suit you. I've always told realtors straight up 'I play guitar and drums and need a place that can allow for that.' You may end up in a dump, but you can find a place that will suit your needs.

Besides, as has already been said in here, there is no such thing as a noise complaint before 11 pm in most cities. I can play my drums in my townhouse anytime I want between the hours of 8am and 11pm. There is nothing the neighbors can do about it. If they wanted to make an argument of it I would be within my rights to invite friends over and have a full band in my basement every single day... And that's what I'd tell them if they got shitty with me. I only play drums when the people on either side of me aren't home... But that's just out of courtesy, not legal obligation.

If your sister had people complaining about her microwave (which I don't believe for a second) then she should have told them to **** off... If it were me I'd just blast some Slayer every time I use the microwave from then on and then a week or so later say 'wanna go back to just the microwave noise?'

Since joining you do nothing but post bullshit about noise issues that don't exist. You don't have experience with these issues, which is clear from your posts, so please just trust that one day you will grow up and be able to handle these issues without making stupid threads.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Last edited by tubetime86 at Nov 9, 2012,
^ Dan, a lot of the apartments I've seen and lived in are rental only. You don't buy them. Otherwise I agree with what you are saying.

Ian likes to troll. We all know that. When I first saw this thread I thought, 'Oh boy.....here we go again'. It is what it is. If he doesn't want to buy into modeling or a proper recording space then he is just going to have to deal with it.

---------------off topic

Quote by gumbilicious
i'm not on the list

True. But you are also a well respected long term poster who built a name for himself here.

Quote by lemurflames
Exactly, so...how does that work...

Pretty much like gumbi said. Help others and be respectful. I just have never seen you before so I asked. You have about 500 posts total on UG. Keep posting good advice and maybe less cat videos

Quote by gumbilicious
there is no real system. the WTLT thread is made up of long time spammers, just be respectful and entertaining without being arrogant and precocious and after one cycle* no one will think twice of you posting.

*by one cycle i mean that every year the thread gets wiped and restarted with a new name.

def don't piss people off, it is a mod fav thread. but you'll notice some of the top posters on the thread aren't even on the list, so it's just about knowing your place. the pedal board thread is almost another flavor of the same thing, except they're a little more tight knit.

+1

Quote by R45VT

True - but that forum has a much smaller population and the division between those giving and those asking for advice is more defined.

Quote by R45VT
I was joking.

Regarding the thread in GB&C: It is open to anyone. Non technical topics only. Technical make a thread.

Offworld has posted consistent advice to others practically daily for the better of 2 years (IIRC) so I asked other members in the WTLT if Offworld would be a good addition. After I got 5 yays and 0 nays I sent him a PM. And he's got like 10,000+ posts

That said, it is not my thread and not my place to say who can be on and who can't. I consider the thread to belong more to Jenny, Dave, Kyle and Colin.

PS: If R45VT keeps up with all the solid advice I would recommend him too
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Nov 9, 2012,
Ya but the rental properties often use realtors to fill them... But if you go to a realtor and just say you're gonna rent they usually don't want to spend much time with you. Tell them you're 'potentially' looking to buy and they literally do all the work for you, and usually negotiate rent down a bit. At least that's my experience. I moved every year for the last eight years in a row... I picked up a few tricks.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
^ But if I can't afford to own a property and I know I'm going to rent - I don't need a realtor to help me find a place. I find 3 or 4 in my budget and then I sign up and move in. Plus realtors don't work for free. Maybe it is different out East.

Quote by Ian_the_fox

What does the fact that the family was Mexican have anything to do with it? Seriously. Between that comment and your Genre bashing earlier you've dropped off my 'respected list'.

Now I'm going to have to start posting cat memes.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
^ But if I can't afford to own a property and I know I'm going to rent - I don't need a realtor to help me find a place. I find 3 or 4 in my budget and then I sign up and move in. Plus realtors don't work for free. Maybe it is different out East.

What does the fact that the family was Mexican have anything to do with it? Seriously. Between that comment and your Genre bashing earlier you've dropped off my 'respected list'.

Now I'm going to have to start posting cat memes.

You have a 'respected' list?

Any names on it yet?.....

Also, some realtors get paid by the buyer, some by the seller...It's a good thing to know when you're looking for a house, since even though there's a cost involved I want the realtor working for me and not the person I'm buying the house from...
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Last edited by Arby911 at Nov 9, 2012,
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH

That's odd, I just assumed it was like that everywhere.

Generally the realtors are paid by the landlord renting out the property, not by the person looking to rent, at least it's that way here. I just got sick of looking through the paper and craigslist for apartments in college and when I graduated I was considering buying so I met with a realtor... They were super helpful and found me a great deal on a rental I never would have found on my own (wasn't listed in the paper or anything) for free, so I have just done that since.

The place I'm in now I contacted a property manager, rather than a realtor, but the idea is the same... There are people out there paid by landlords to find tenants, so why do the work yourself?

Side Note: When I moved into my current place my neighbor told me the previous tenant was constantly complaining about the noise coming from their house... I haven't heard a peep from them... Some people are just dicks.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Last edited by tubetime86 at Nov 9, 2012,
Ian is just burying himself in a deeper hole. Maybe you should focus on getting an apartment thats not going to have paper thin walls? There are plenty. Ive lived in two. Both were very quiet and I never got complaints for playing my amp at decent hours. That said, I didnt have my JCM, but still.

Move in. Greet your neighbors respectfully. Make sure they are aware youre a musician and you do record your gear occasionally. Try and find out the best times for them if you are that worried.

Otherwise stop being a pussy and take the noise complaints and a ticket or two.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
When were you around for the "genre bashing"? You mean how I trashed Grindcore in a Pit discussion and pissed off a bunch of tonedeaf neckbeards who enjoyed it?

Quote by tubetime86
Dude, you are so far off here. Have you ever lived by yourself? Looked for an apartment? From your posts my guess is no. When you go looking for a place to live you should contact a realtor and tell them you are looking to rent a place for now, but long term will be buying. That gets their attention and makes them want to earn your trust... So they will show you rentals just like they show for sale properties. You don't have to move in anywhere that doesn't suit you. I've always told realtors straight up 'I play guitar and drums and need a place that can allow for that.' You may end up in a dump, but you can find a place that will suit your needs.
The joys of living in a city with everything available.

Great options like this are likely not going to be availible in small towns or near the colleges I plan on going to, and there's no way in hell I'm driving 45 minutes a day just to get to my classes and/or job each morning because of my will to record music.

School/life comes before music. That's just how it is. Period.

Quote by tubetime86
Besides, as has already been said in here, there is no such thing as a noise complaint before 11 pm in most cities. I can play my drums in my townhouse anytime I want between the hours of 8am and 11pm. There is nothing the neighbors can do about it. If they wanted to make an argument of it I would be within my rights to invite friends over and have a full band in my basement every single day... And that's what I'd tell them if they got shitty with me. I only play drums when the people on either side of me aren't home... But that's just out of courtesy, not legal obligation.
So what if they can't submit a noise complaint? They can still bitch at your door or try to fight back via other methods.

It doesn't matter if you're following the law or not. It's not a good thing to have a hoarse relationship with people living 3 inches across from you.

They don't give a shit if you're following the law or not.

Quote by tubetime86
If your sister had people complaining about her microwave (which I don't believe for a second) then she should have told them to **** off... If it were me I'd just blast some Slayer every time I use the microwave from then on and then a week or so later say 'wanna go back to just the microwave noise?'

Since joining you do nothing but post bullshit about noise issues that don't exist. You don't have experience with these issues, which is clear from your posts, so please just trust that one day you will grow up and be able to handle these issues without making stupid threads.
Again, the woman next door didn't submit anything, but would constantly bitch and complain to her (my sister) every chance she got. My sister was a good friend with her landlord at the time so there was no way her neighbor would win (especially considering it was over a microwave), but she still moved out of there quickly because of the hatred her neighbors had against her.

I can legally drive 35mph in a 55mph zone where I live. Do you think people are going to still be okay with that? No. Especially if they're in a hurry to get somewhere. Chances are, they'll tailgate the shit out of me and illegally attempt to pass in order to get around me because of how much I'm a burden to them. They're likely to hate my guts. But hey, I'm still obeying the law, right?

I don't give a fuck if I'm following ordinances or not. I don't want to be known as that annoying noisy neighbor who blasts heavy metal all day. The whole "obey the ordinances and tell your neighbor to suck it" needs to be retired immediately, because it just doesn't work. Unless you want to be the dick in the situation.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.