Page 2 of 4
I would assume the 06 surge in number was probably due to Taborama getting shut down, thats why I came here.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
I remember lurking here ages ago and it looked like the Pit was basically a PG13 version of 4chan. I think it's cleaned up a lot better now, though I guess the userbase has also grown up.
2013 #5 Uger
2012 #7 Uger

Quote by jetfuel495
Jesus, Horsedick, you are my hero

Quote by JayT44
don't worry guys his girlfriend is black, she said it was okay for him to say that.

Stalk Me

Shitty Covers

Original Music

Lastfm
Quote by LostLegion
Yes, I've been here since 2001 (I lurked for 9 years). Don't be fooled by my join date. I remember the great YouTube multi of 2003.

But seriously, there was just a surge of users in 2006 (anyone know why?), but most of them probably just grew out of guitar or matured, or got perma'd.

EDIT: ^lol banhammer

Rock n Roll + Guitar = Satan.
Quote by progdude93
my fetish is dudes with dicks small enough to pee on their own sacks.
I like it better now with the smaller community. I recognize everyone, and have a feel for the humor better. Now there are less memes and bullshit.

Also, I'm better than everyone with a later join date than me.
I've decided that my signature is terrible. I'm open to suggestions.

Click me, or I'll die.

# Un-nominated in UG Top 100,
Someone posted a poll thread from 2009 and the average age was like 16, lol.
Quote by EpiExplorer
I swear this guy in particular writes for the telegraph or some shit.

Quote by Fat Lard
My name can actually be traced back to as early as the 1990s, it means "fuck off data miner"
Quote by a cobweb
Does anyone remember mxtabs? Whatever happened to those guys?

They got shut down in 2006
Quote by beadhangingOne
What happened to Snake?

Snake?

Snake?

SNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAKE?!

Quote by TunerAddict
you can take my mouse and keyboard from my cold, slightly orange from cheetos, dead fingers

Quote by Baby Joel
Isis is amazing
Quote by a cobweb
Does anyone remember mxtabs? Whatever happened to those guys?

I'm a former staff member, it turned into Songsterr.

Quote by Gibson_SG_uzr55
They got shut down in 2006

Well they came back in 2008 and then turned into songsterr in 2011
2013 #5 Uger
2012 #7 Uger

Quote by jetfuel495

Quote by JayT44
don't worry guys his girlfriend is black, she said it was okay for him to say that.

Stalk Me

Shitty Covers

Original Music

Lastfm
Last edited by Horsedick.MPEG at Nov 6, 2012,
I see. I boarded there briefly and I remember there being some rivalry. I also remember a time when any mention of mxtabs on the UG forums would result in a ban
I've never been on the pit.

What is this? Who are you people? Why can't I leave? What's that monkey doing with hi- awww gross
Quote by a cobweb
I see. I boarded there briefly and I remember there being some rivalry. I also remember a time when any mention of mxtabs on the UG forums would result in a ban

Well the original Mxtabs forum still exists on Sputnick Music, but they made a new forum for Mxtabs in 2008.
2013 #5 Uger
2012 #7 Uger

Quote by jetfuel495

Quote by JayT44

Stalk Me

Shitty Covers

Original Music

Lastfm
I'm assuming people have always said this, I know it's been the case since I've been here.
Blog Of Awesome UGers.
Quote by OddOneOut
I seem to attract girls.
Which is annoying, cos I'm a girl and I like cock.

Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
Being an idiot should be illegal too.
Quote by SexyLikeAPig
You might think that because my join date states 'jan 2011', that I've only been here for 22 months. Do not be fooled! I've been lurking since back in '92. The Pit has been in decline ever since the Great UG Civil War of '02, which of course was brought about because of the FunnyJunk Dispute in 2001, as well as the UG/4Chan war in '98-00. We lost good men those years. Women, too. Yes, women once inhabited the Pit. Of course, 4Chan came back in '02, wanting revenge and they got it. That was the main cause of the civil war.

There was also the Redditian plague of '04, the NewFag Revolution in '06 and the Music Radar War of '95.

oh man the Great UG Civil War of 02! You still ...remember...the scars...

You weren't THERE man!
The pit seems to have peaked right around the time I joined and it's been gradually getting less active since (not a self pity joke or whatever, that's an honest observation).
Quote by cho0onger
Yeah The Pit used to be a lot more active and hilarious.

06-08 master race always and forever

Edit: I actually prefer it with less people. The pit feels more like a family, rather than like being in a large crowd.
FORZA CATANIA
Last edited by jonathan666666 at Nov 6, 2012,
It wasn't just the spark of sites like Reddit and such. It was also the death of memes as an inside joke, and the start of memes as a mainstream butchered idea.

People in the Pit have grown up, many have left because of this and the change in the flow of the internet, and I think it is infinitely better this way. Shit is so much tighter now. Before it felt like a run down burning city full of screaming people going ape shit. Now it feels like a college or something where you'll have your clubs and your familiar faces.

Also the moderating doesn't have to be as extreme now. We are capable of staying in line for the most part because, again, we've matured. Before how easy was it to be banned for shit? The pear is fine now, and do any of us over use it? Nope. Before it was an instant ban and it was used so many times daily.

This site may have decreased in numbers, but that's not a decline. It's gone up imo.
there's usually more going on here during the winter
Quote by Robchappers
Ha ha love you to dude ;-)

Quote by fearofthemark
10/10 Slater is amazing

Fender Deluxe Roadhouse Strat
Ibanez RG4EXFM1
Washburn D46S
Dunlop Original Crybaby Wah
Fulltone OCD Overdrive
Boss SD-1 Overdrive
MXR M-148 Micro Chorus
Jet City JCA2112RC 20W
I agree that it is a lot more close now and people have indeed grown up. Meh, I'm glad to see familiar faces and a little sad that I don't see others but life goes on.

You guys are my bros, decline or not
^^ Hahah, I'm just kidding.. or am I?

Don't click this.
Quote by Trowzaa
Back in the day I remember there being a thread like once a week of the Pit having 666 viewers.

This.

Quote by Duce180
Most people have switched to reddit. Reddit is huge now.

And this.

Plus, the decline of fun threads like YLYL and "flavor of the week" shoop threads.

I yearn for the "good 'ole days" of coming to The Pit and being able to browse the YLYL for hours, laughing my ass off. Now, I just go to Reddit to look at funny pictures.

I used to come to The Pit and always learn of the latest world news from various threads here. Now, hardly any of that gets posted and I get all my news from Reddit.

I definitely think Reddit (and sites like it) are taking a big chunk of out of UG membership. The Pit used to be anything-goes (to an extent, of course) and all kinds of threads were made daily, be it news, general info, funny, etc.

Now, I feel obligated to come to The Pit everyday to check in on everything, since I rarely go through a thread anymore.
Quote by jumi1174

I yearn for the "good 'ole days" of coming to The Pit and being able to browse the YLYL for hours, laughing my ass off. Now, I just go to Reddit to look at funny pictures.

You must have enjoyed losing.
I've decided that my signature is terrible. I'm open to suggestions.

Click me, or I'll die.

# Un-nominated in UG Top 100,
Quote by Bushinarin
You must have enjoyed losing.

Very much so. In fact, when me and my buddies had nothing to do on a weekend, we'd get together, start drinking, and "play" YLYL (with the YLYL threads). We had rules and everything. I encourage everyone to try it at least once.
Last edited by jumi1174 at Nov 7, 2012,
Well I remember it being much more active and hilarious back from my lurking days in 2010. Still a fun forum and it's not like it's never funny. I find the lack of mayhem results from people being reluctant to make new threads, and instead posting in the 'ONLY' ones.

But as Pagan said, I guess it's not a bad thing that The Pit is small enough to recognise everyone's usernames.
West Ham United
im still here
✠ ☠ ✠
RIP Ronnie James Dio

Fendi Shoes is actually extremely advantageous.
Quote by sirrjj
im still here

Um... Who the hell are you?
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
I feel I am some how responsible for the decline of the pit in some way.
Thor! Odin's son Protector of mankind Ride to meet your fate Your destiny awaits Thor! Hlödyn's son Protector of mankind Ride to meet your fate Ragnarök awaits

E-ARCH NEMESIS of girlgerms007
Quote by Duffman123
I remember the Pit getting really shit around March 2009, and it's been downhill since then.

I can't put a date on when the pit started to turn into shit. But I do know that 06-07 were the best times. I left UG after 08 and returned in ~10, so I have no clue what happened, but I do know that it doesn't feel as good as it did back then. Maybe I'm just growing up. However, I doubt that.
-The Crimson Fucker, aka PonyFan #376121
Quote by Mark Roxx

Duffman is a mean man.
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

I agree with TS. I lurked for a good 2-3 years (maybe even 4, i don't completely remember) and it seemed like the pit was way bigger.
For your sake I hope heaven & hell are really there, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

Guitar & skateboarding. Do what you want.
Honestly, my opinion is that we have ourselves as users, and other users, to blame. That along with generally growing up and moving on.

YLYL got closed because of people constantly moaning and bitching about reposts COUGH GODHIMSELF COUGH. That would alienate those that came to the Pit to view funny things.

Hot girls thread got closed because users couldn't handle the simple rules of 'no nudity'. No explanation needed there.

Then the shit such as 'only / official threads' kicked in and started clogging up the first page. That doesn't help. Rule 1 of keeping your users active? Don't piss them off.

UG has obviously declined, but I've been here for almost 5 years, have UGers on my Facebook, met UGers etc. It honestly feels like a community.
Quote by MH400

Then the shit such as 'only / official threads' kicked in and started clogging up the first page. That doesn't help. Rule 1 of keeping your users active? Don't piss them off.

I think that "The Only X" threads should have their own section apart from the pit. Just so they won't clog up all the discussion in newer threads.

Also, YLYL should be reopened since Godhimself is gone.
-The Crimson Fucker, aka PonyFan #376121