I find reading about guitarists "Beginning stories" very inspiring and motivating. I like the one where eric clapton gave up on guitar at age 13, and picked it again at the age of 15.

So post the "Beginning story" you know. Yeah, maybe its not "music theory" but it certainly helps as much - maybe more! And i hope that between the loads of theory in here, people will stumble upon this thread and be inspired to go on forward!

P.S:Theres one about Eddive Van Halen where he says he didnt go out to parties and lock himself in the house. Can anyone refer me to the full story?
you will really enjoy reading about Hendrix early on. He spent his first many years playing backup to various artists of the day. When he was young and there were 'play offs' and talent shows etc he was always convinced everyone was better then he was. He strung his guitars upside down because all his were hand me downs etc... really good reading.
he of tranquil mind
Quote by C0FF1NF33D3R
Kirk Hammett took lessons from Joe Satriani when he was younger.

Hey, dont blame Joe!!

TS...I tried Googling that story about Van Halen...couldnt find it... but its true... its on the net somewhere...
Quote by AlanHB
It's the same as all other harmony. Surround yourself with skulls and candles if it helps.
Quote by Standarduser
P.S:Theres one about Eddive Van Halen where he says he didnt go out to parties and lock himself in the house. Can anyone refer me to the full story?

he's not even close to the only one lol
Anfangen ist leicht, Beharren eine Kunst.

From my 2007 Shred Special dition of Total Guitar Magazine. I'm sure you're referring to a different article/interview, but it's sorta relevant.
But boys will be boys and girls have those eyes
that'll cut you to ribbons, sometimes
and all you can do is just wait by the moon
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
Last edited by Hydra150 at Nov 8, 2012,
none of these people are musicians they don't even play bass wtf TS
Quote by theogonia777
Hail killed MT

Quote by jongtr
I want to be Hail when I grow up.
Quote by Hail
none of these people are musicians they don't even play bass wtf TS

You clearly know nothing about nothing so do us all more informed people a favor and sit in the back of the classroom with your mouth shut where you belong
Quote by Hydra150
You clearly know nothing about nothing so do us all more informed people a favor and sit in the back of the classroom with your mouth shut where you belong

Quote by theogonia777
Hail killed MT

Quote by jongtr
But the band Van Halen grew in popularity because of their vocal harmonies. So where does that leave us then?

Perhaps the only thing that these guys had in common was hard work, good songs and a lot of luck. If it wasn't them, it would have been someone else.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Like Bad News!
Quote by Hail
oh shut up with that /mu/ bullshit. fidget house shouldn't even be a genre, why in the world would it deserve its own subgenres you twat
Wes Montgomery didn't start playing guitar until he was 20 years old...that's pretty ****ing inspiring.
Quote by AlanHB

Perhaps the only thing that these guys had in common was hard work, good songs and a lot of luck. If it wasn't them, it would have been someone else.

We're all alright!
Quote by mattrusso
Wes Montgomery didn't start playing guitar until he was 20 years old...that's pretty ****ing inspiring.

He came from a highly musical family, and he played four-string tenor guitar from age 12.
Quote by TheHydra
He came from a highly musical family, and he played four-string tenor guitar from age 12.

Well...I did not know that (about the tenor guitar). That's disappointing.
Last edited by mattrusso at Nov 8, 2012,
Quote by Wild_One
Chris Broderick?

He practiced 14 hours a day during his summers as a teen.

Moreover, he also practiced electric guitar, classical guitar, piano, and violin under a strict daily routine.

It's from a video interview in www.metalinjection.net

yeah he was a fat kid so he used guitar to feel good about himself while he ate his sads away

rip shawn lane btw
Quote by theogonia777
Hail killed MT

Quote by jongtr
Quote by Hail
yeah he was a fat kid so he used guitar to feel good about himself while he ate his sads away

rip shawn lane btw

Chris Broderick strikes me as a guy who was a stereotypical angry bullied basement dweller until he got into college and started joining tough-guy metal bands. Eventually he started working out and thinking he was badass because he was getting laid and shredding on guitar.

Too bad his music still sucks.
Quote by TheHydra
Chris Broderick strikes me as a guy who was a stereotypical angry bullied basement dweller until he got into college and started joining tough-guy metal bands. Eventually he started working out and thinking he was badass because he was getting laid and shredding on guitar.

Too bad his music still sucks.

hahahahaha that's cold man, i dig it
Quote by theogonia777
Hail killed MT

Quote by jongtr
I keep hearing/reading about this TG Issue and keep looking for it. SCARCE!!! I only just recently managed to get a pdf download, but still no luch finding the cd to download. you wouldn't happen to still have it as a downloadable torrent, would you?

Quote by Hydra150

From my 2007 Shred Special dition of Total Guitar Magazine. I'm sure you're referring to a different article/interview, but it's sorta relevant.
Aaw, did you sign up just to talk to me? :3
Quote by rayjntt
I keep hearing/reading about this TG Issue and keep looking for it. SCARCE!!! I only just recently managed to get a pdf download, but still no luch finding the cd to download. you wouldn't happen to still have it as a downloadable torrent, would you?

I wish, lost the CD ages ago. Probably, it could be somewhere I guess, but I haven't seen it in ages. I'll have a look later.
The issue came around at the right time in my playing to expose me to new music and give me stuff I wanted to practice, it's partly responsible for me becoming half decent at guitar. It's worn down and sellotaped together, I keep meaning to go back and learn the stuff that I started learning all those years ago. I didn't realise that it was a rarity.
Last edited by Hydra150 at Mar 24, 2013,
Glenn Tipton of Judas priest started playing the guitar at age 19.
That means he started in 1966 and Judas priest released their first album when he was 27 years old.
He started doing advanced techniques like sweep picking on the "defenders of the faith" album in 84, so he was already 36.

Most people these days have a hard time keeping up with new techniques and getting better with time. I love stories of people who start late and still are able to keep up and even surpass others.
Quote by Hydra150
Aaw, did you sign up just to talk to me? :3

Nah.... 'twas the orginator of the thread that made me do it!
Came across the site in my never ending quest for "The Book"! ...that I will now call the Holy Grail of Shred after reading your comments on it. Perused the site and found UG to be a wonderful tool/resource/aid. Really appreciate your response though!

Yup... it appears to be a rarity; and from your reply and reading here, I can see why. I've resurrected my trusty ole Ibanez and trying to make up for years of neglect while pursuing more economic endeavours.
Quote by rayjntt

Yup... it appears to be a rarity; and from your reply and reading here, I can see why. I've resurrected my trusty ole Ibanez and trying to make up for years of neglect while pursuing more economic endeavours.

I only think it's so good because of nostalgia and stuff.
You can find the paul gilbert lessons on this site (in GuitarPro format) I think, same with all the songs tabbed, and the paul gilbert videos will be on youtube (along with most of his videography).
Quote by Hydra150
I only think it's so good because of nostalgia and stuff.
You can find the paul gilbert lessons on this site (in GuitarPro format) I think, same with all the songs tabbed, and the paul gilbert videos will be on youtube (along with most of his videography).

Thanks dude.... if only all the world were the same....
I find Steve Vai's story to be quite interesting,

Not because he practiced 10 hours a day but because he practiced 10 hours a day and still managed to find the time to keep a social life.

Composed his first symphony his freshman year of high school with the help of his music teacher Bill Wescott.

He was lucky considering he had such great teachers as a young lad.