Nuhiro_Masuda
43 IQ
Hey guys,

I'm excited 'cause me and my Band After Years of Hope are hitting the stage for the first time.
And we're doing a part where each of us is going to be introduced and somehow shows his skills. I'm more into writing riffs and just began writing solos, so I would like to learn some licks, tricks, etc... to "show off" on stage.
Don't get me wrong, I'm usually resererved and not this kind of show off prick...
... so yeah
Please give me some suggestions, tabs, vids, etc...

thx in advance

Nuhiro Masuda
chestercheetah
522 IQ
do that one hand hammer on pulloff thing and them follow it by muting the strings with your picking hand and tapping sweeps with your fretting hand its easier than actual sweeps and the chicks dig that shit.
press ctrl + w
cptcomet
Band
648 IQ
Just do a Hendrix-esque bend lick in e blues or something.
455 75 34 88

(´・ω・`)

Quote by strait jacket
Do you like being sigged or, like me do you feel strangely violated?
Last edited by cptcomet at Nov 8, 2012,
Ian_the_fox
Banned
2,990 IQ
Learn to solo with the guitar above your head.

Learn the Dimebag's signature whammy squeals.

Just learn to sweep pick, period. Nothing complex required.

Pulling off any of these on stage will make you look like a virtuoso to extremely stupid people. I know from experience.
PaulyVengeance
UG's Canon Fanboy
229 IQ
Quote by Ian_the_fox
Learn to solo with the guitar above your head.

Learn the Dimebag's signature whammy squeals.

Just learn to sweep pick, period. Nothing complex required.

Pulling off any of these on stage will make you look like a virtuoso to extremely stupid people. I know from experience.

It's harsh when people make you look stupid on stage huh?
theogonia777
Miss Kristen
2,141 IQ
Fact: the most impressive thing that you could do is not play mediocre metalcore.
Quote by Hal-Sephira
Shut the mother#%$& up, $^%got. You have a #$%^ing terrible muther&@$#ing taste in %#$@ing music, @&%$ing movies and %&$#ing video games. Every time I see you on the forums, you are always saying something overrated and some $@&#ing sh*t. You are just mother$^@%ing ignorant as a whole.

Get a #%$@ing life or you will get banned for life.

Quote by Arby911
Kristen is very open-minded; believes that everyone is entitled to her opinion...

Quote by NirvanaLuvr16
omg its better than i imagined... so dark and cozy and warm...

Read this please. This as well.
chestercheetah
522 IQ
Quote by red_hot_chili18
Learn to Whammy WITHOUT a Whammy Bar :

this.
press ctrl + w
tukk04
UG's Neil Young
1,076 IQ
Quote by theogonia777
Fact: the most impressive thing that you could do is not play mediocre metalcore.

Yes this
J-Dawg158
UG's Resident Dhampyr
154 IQ
Quote by Nuhiro_Masuda
I'm more into writing riffs and just began writing solos, so I would like to learn some licks, tricks, etc... to "show off" on stage.

This trick is a little dated, but still drives non-guitar players wild.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8wr62Dvd32k

Edit: Oh and a cool lick
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65AZQ1H57f8
I'm an
Engeneer
Enginear
Enginere

I'm Good at Math
Last edited by J-Dawg158 at Nov 8, 2012,
shunks
Super Saiyan
217 IQ
Quote by J-Dawg158
This trick is a little dated, but still drives non-guitar players wild.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8wr62Dvd32k

Do this a thousand times over XD
If you're playing music to get attention then you're forgetting the purpose of music
intheshadowplay
Blues=Roots, Rest=Fruits
282 IQ
I'd recommend someone playing a first show not get cute. Flashy is fine if you've got it on lock-down, but one ****ed up lick will set you way back.
I've got the spirit, but lose the feeling.
WholeLottaIzzy
UGs Only Rhythm Guitarist
6,023 IQ
That lick Jimmy Page always uses. Start of Whole Lott Love Solo, communication Breakdown, Good Times, Bad Times... it's just a repeating pentatonic lick. It's real easy and sounds a lot faster than it is.
SHaun Steel
134 IQ
Nothing makes me cringe more when i see bands do this sorta thing. If your songs and playing within them is good enough you have no need for that sort of nonsense. I'm gonna take a guess and say you have 30-45min slot? This method of showboating will eat into your set time giving you less songs to make an impact on your audience. The best advice i can give you for small shows is to keep the show itself compact with as little needless breaks as possible.
Last edited by SHaun Steel at Nov 8, 2012,
Jyrgen
Used Register
2,050 IQ
Do like 2 seconds of random chromatic Buckethead style multi finger tapping
Ometh
UG Addict
3,911 IQ
Take your guitar and bash your bandmates' heads in, splattering their brains all over the floor. Take off the high e string and slice your throat with it.
Quote by slapsymcdougal
I'm cockblocked regularly by my appearance and personality.
Last edited by Ometh at Nov 8, 2012,
adamgur96
Not caring no more
865 IQ
Quote by Ometh
Take your guitar and bash your bandmates' heads in, splattering their brains all over the floor. Take off the high e string and slice your throat with it.

That would grab my attention.
I Have An Avant Garde Fetish....
Quote by Gantz92
Im in no way an amateur. I masturbate in public all the time.
Quote by Nelsean
I can get an erection just by looking at a plastic cup, or a river.
Quote by Obsceneairwaves
Don't worry, rape will always find a back way in
S2S
459 IQ
Quote by SHaun Steel
Nothing makes me cringe more when i see bands do this sorta thing. If your songs and playing within them is good enough you have no need for that sort of nonsense. I'm gonna take a guess and say you have 30-45min slot? This method of showboating will eat into your set time giving you less songs to make an impact on your audience. The best advice i can give you for small shows is to keep the show itself compact with as little needless breaks as possible.

^ Listen to this man.
ryan19
838 IQ
yeah forget the introductions. impress them with your songs.
H4T3BR33D3R
Resident Gibson Whore
2,488 IQ
Just be good looking. Then nobody cares if youre good or not.
Quote by Axelfox
my mom and i went to a furry con and on the second day she said she didn't come and pay money to go see dumb shit.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
=w=eeze
MY HORSE MUST LOSE
501 IQ
Honestly, convince your band not to do this. It's distasteful and lame, and you guys are not famous so no one is getting a treat out of hearing this. It WILL come off as douchey.
LOVE ANTHONY GREEN?
Quote by sneyob
I am slightly disappointed =w=eeze took me out of his sig.

But that's okay.

^Consolation Sig
theogonia777
Miss Kristen
2,141 IQ
You know what, grab a dobro and play the last verse of "You Never Even Called me by my Name" as well as David Allen Coe's explanation of the verse.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAOVRkSCWmg&t=3m5s
Quote by Hal-Sephira
Shut the mother#%$& up, $^%got. You have a #$%^ing terrible muther&@$#ing taste in %#$@ing music, @&%$ing movies and %&$#ing video games. Every time I see you on the forums, you are always saying something overrated and some $@&#ing sh*t. You are just mother$^@%ing ignorant as a whole.

Quote by Arby911
Kristen is very open-minded; believes that everyone is entitled to her opinion...

Quote by NirvanaLuvr16

GodofCheesecake
Master of the Machines
1,405 IQ
Your style of metalcore has been beaten FAR into the ground already. How are people still writing generic pedal riffs and expecting their band to ever go anywhere?
My band, Escher
My progressive rock project, Mosaic

Quote by Lappo
clearly, the goal is to convert every thread into a discussion about BTBAM

BTBAM IS ALWAYS RELEVANT
FenderBender72
The Bearded Warrior
353 IQ
Quote by =w=eeze
Honestly, convince your band not to do this. It's distasteful and lame, and you guys are not famous so no one is getting a treat out of hearing this. It WILL come off as douchey.

This^ As blunt as it may sound, he is right. Just introduce your band (just the name of the band ie. "We are "After Years Of Hope") then start playing. Or take stage, play your first song, THEN introduce your band (again as a whole, not individuals), then jump into your next song...

Våd Hamster
brzrkr
251 IQ
Quote by Nuhiro_Masuda
hitting the stage for the first time

And we're doing a part where each of us is going to be introduced and somehow shows his skills

No no no no no. Do not do this, that shit is for high school cover bands.
Steam: electroacoustics

MaXiMuse
Has an X in his name
1,659 IQ
Instead of playing some power chords with distortion on 11 and just play E5 - G5 - D5 - A5 in a non-original rhytm why don't you play something clean fingerpicking with some quick chord changes and/or alternative time signatures with delay/chorus. AAAAND...

end with harmonics, would probably also pretty cool if you play some harmonics in your 'solo' and let them ring. That's something else than just wanking on your guitar

First thing that come to my mind was this intro:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uv-EZx-qI_8&

You can shred all you want, but in the end music comes down to emotion. So play it with a lot of emotion.
Våd Hamster
brzrkr
251 IQ
Quote by MaXiMuse

You can shred all you want, but in the end music comes down to emotion. So play it with a lot of emotion.

ABANDON THREAD

LIFEBOARDS AT STARBOARD

WOMEN AND CHILDREN FIRST
Steam: electroacoustics

theogonia777
Miss Kristen
2,141 IQ
Quote by MaXiMuse

None of this is correct though. TS can't shred all he wants, music isn't about emotion, and all music has emotion whether or not you think it does so it's impossible to play without emotion. Also if TS is going to fingerpick, he should actually do some real finger picking instead of that weenie (not-so) "alternative" rock junk. Something like this somewhat cliched (but for good reasons) classic:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ni8KBhnebwE
Quote by Hal-Sephira

Quote by Arby911

Quote by NirvanaLuvr16

Jearl
yr bird.
118 IQ
screw up on purpose.

OR

just keep going on and on. like, play something minutes long. nobody will understand why you're doing this, and it'll rule.
stratman_13
666lb bongsession
2,002 IQ
Such a terrible, terrible idea.

Just... No.
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
FenderBender72
The Bearded Warrior
353 IQ
Quote by Jearl
screw up on purpose.

OR

just keep going on and on. like, play something minutes long. nobody will understand why you're doing this, and it'll rule.

yeah I'm thinking 15 minute solo. #onlytheGmajorscale