Page 1 of 4
Enigmatic564
518 IQ
Do you think having a higher intelligence relates to listening to different music?

EDIT: Oops, just noticed the typo in the title
Quote by robertsanidiot
Jesus died for their sins. It would be a waste if they just didn't sin it up. If you ask me, it's almost unchristian if you DON'T eat the kiddies.
Quote by StewieSwan
Hahaha you short fuck
Quote by due 07
LOL manlet
Last edited by Enigmatic564 at Nov 10, 2012,
Argonaut
UG's Official Dude
988 IQ
This thread is gonna turn into a total shitstorm.

EDIT:
Quote by SuperKid
retards listen to djent

Told you so.
What is this that stands before me?

Figure in black that points at me...

FUCKETH THINE SELF
Last edited by Argonaut at Nov 10, 2012,
chaoticfables
all she needed was some
2,012 IQ
Ehhh, generally the answer should be yes but I've seen so many incredibly smart people listen to nothing but club music
my e-wife
mdwallin

soundcloud
a stupid scrapbook for my music
NordicThrasher
Something Wild
148 IQ
I certainly think that it can, to a certain degree. People with higher intelligences are more apt to understand what they're hearing, and would possibly be more into more complex genres of music, such as classical. Education about music can ruin ones interest in a lot of popular mainstream music, because you realize how monotonous, over-produced, and bland it really is.

Overall, though, this would be a rather hard thing to gauge, since there are so many factors that play into why some people listen to certain types of music, as opposed to others.
Gibson_SG_uzr55
DJ SNAAAAKKEEE
4,073 IQ
This thread is going to turn into a circlejerk. I can feel it.
Quote by beadhangingOne
What happened to Snake?

Snake?

Snake?

SNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAKE?!

Quote by TunerAddict
you can take my mouse and keyboard from my cold, slightly orange from cheetos, dead fingers

Quote by Baby Joel
Isis is amazing
WCPhils
UnBanned
731 IQ
This will get very stupid

Quote by Gibson_SG_uzr55
This thread is going to turn into a circlejerk. I can feel it.

As soon as Due shows up
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Last edited by WCPhils at Nov 11, 2012,
Colgate Total
I <3 drugs
2,211 IQ
No, of course not. People equating intelligence to music taste are those who just want to feel better about themselves. "I listen to ****in' Chopin and Neutral Milk Hotel. Aren't I smart? Pay attention to me. I'm better than those idiots who like Toby Keith and Soulja Boy."
Like podcasts? Listen to these!
BEER!
VIDEO GAMES!
MOVIES/GEEKY SHIT!

Last edited by zappp : Today at 4:20 PM. Reason: Suck on my balls, UG
ErikLensherr
ENDHATE
1,686 IQ
Quote by Horsedick.MPEG
I know people with high IQ who listen to Ke$ha

Ke$ha herself is supposed to be pretty smart.
Quote by EpiExplorer
I swear this guy in particular writes for the telegraph or some shit.

Dr. Jill Stein @DrJillStein
"It has to start somewhere. It has to start sometime. What better place than here? What better time than now?" -RATM They can't stop us now.
Jyuuga
288 IQ
No, interest in music does. The statement is wrong. Now I want an E-blowjob.
Weaponized
1,756 IQ
Quote by Colgate Total
No, of course not. People equating intelligence to music taste are those who just want to feel better about themselves. "I listen to ****in' Chopin and Neutral Milk Hotel. Aren't I smart? Pay attention to me. I'm better than those idiots who like Toby Keith and Soulja Boy."
Cause NMH and Chopin are smart people music
lolmnt
Earth of the Butt
4,159 IQ
No.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
NordicThrasher
Something Wild
148 IQ
Quote by Colgate Total

What in all **** is Neutral Milk Hotel? Sounds like some hipster band

-Judging a band on its name in a thread about equating intelligence to music. Even more -
Last edited by NordicThrasher at Nov 11, 2012,
smmSTV
682 IQ
I think its related but not definate

Jay Turser: JT-134DC
Epiphone: G-400
Gibson: SG Special Faded Cherry

Line 6: Spider III 15-watt
Marshall Haze 40

DOD FX65 Chorus
Danelectro Fish & Chips EQ
EH4800 Small Stone Phase Shifter
Dunlop CryBaby Wah
Deltalab Tube Overdrive TO1
FireFromTheVoid
Unloved
98 IQ
No, why would it?
Not like they`re singing in equations.
One of the third friendliest users
Stratkat's pet

Quote by Momentosis
Void is a wanker that's why

Last edited by FireFromTheVoid at Nov 11, 2012,
Swannie
drives a hearse
1,637 IQ
I think it's more about what you are accustomed to. People who have grown up in pop culture hearing three minute poptechno songs probably will be bored by a forty minute classical piece, not because they're not smart enough, but because it's so different.

I have found that the progressive-metal community, more than others in my experience, has the attitude (to an extreme degree) that they are more intelligent because their music is more complex.
"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils. The motions of his spirit are dull as night, and his affections dark as Erebus. Let no such man be trusted."
Last edited by Swannie at Nov 11, 2012,
NordicThrasher
Something Wild
148 IQ
Quote by Swannie
I think it's more about what you are accustomed to. People who have grown up in pop culture hearing three minute poptechno songs probably will be bored by a forty minute classical piece, not because they're not smart enough, but because it's so different.

I have found that the progressive-metal community, more than others in my experience, has the attitude (to an extreme degree) that their music is more intelligent because it's more complex.

Hmm, interesting. I agree with this, at the same time, though. It's a conditioning thing, too. I actually detest progressive metal/rock and all those "tech" bands that need moar range with their 8 string guitars. So I think there's more that goes into it than what I proposed, with things like what you said.
Swannie
drives a hearse
1,637 IQ
^ Conditioning is the perfect word
"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils. The motions of his spirit are dull as night, and his affections dark as Erebus. Let no such man be trusted."
Trowzaa
TwoWorldWars&OneWorldCup
731 IQ
There was a study that showed, on average, people who listened to Beethoven had a higher IQ than those who listened to Lil Wayne. So yes.
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

NordicThrasher
Something Wild
148 IQ
Quote by Trowzaa
There was a study that showed, on average, people who listened to Beethoven had a higher IQ than those who listened to Lil Wayne. So yes.

Actually a bit interesting in reading more about this. Google it or do you have a link/source?
Trowzaa
TwoWorldWars&OneWorldCup
731 IQ
Quote by NordicThrasher
Actually a bit interesting in reading more about this. Google it or do you have a link/source?

Turns out it wasn't IQ, it was SAT scores.
It's really late and I'm tired so this is the best I could find
http://www.labnol.org/internet/music-taste-linked-to-intelligence/7489/
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

NordicThrasher
Something Wild
148 IQ
Quote by Trowzaa

That's the weirdest chart I've ever soon, but it works.
Very interesting, thank you.
It says "classical" at one point but it isn't even that high on the chart, and Beethoven's nowhere to be seen. Lil Wayne is one of the lowest, though
metal4eva_22
PonyFan #376121
899 IQ
I think humanity has to first accurately define intelligence before we can start making all these correlations.
-The Crimson Fucker, aka PonyFan #376121
matsif
gone fishin'
32 IQ
I consider myself highly intelligent and accept most forms of music and enjoy quite a few different genres.

I know people just as/more intelligent than me that refuse to listen to anything other than dubstep.

I don't know what to think about this.
I Like Green!
jjfeu662
Celestia
1,996 IQ
Generally smart people listen to good music.
Tomorrow will take us away
Far from home
No one will ever know our names
But the bards' songs will remain
Tomorrow will take it away
The fear of today
It will be gone
Due to our magic songs

ALL HAIL CELESTIA
ErikLensherr
ENDHATE
1,686 IQ
Quote by Trowzaa

Techno fans score highest followed by classic rock and country? I call bull on the whole thing.
Quote by EpiExplorer

"It has to start somewhere. It has to start sometime. What better place than here? What better time than now?" -RATM They can't stop us now.
swave75
Maggot Vest God
1,921 IQ
I liked the episode of South Park where Cartman is trying to get into the Special Olympics by predending he is retarded. There is one scene where he is was watching a Kid Rock video and taking notes to perfect the art of being retarded. Understand where I am going with this?
strat0blaster
growing out of the snake
1,098 IQ

Dolphins 'n shit, yo.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
TooktheAtrain
Banned
184 IQ
Quote by matsif
I consider myself highly intelligent and accept most forms of music and enjoy quite a few different genres.

I know people just as/more intelligent than me that refuse to listen to anything other than dubstep.

I don't know what to think about this.

It's probably more to do with openness to experience and introversion, imo. I think most extraverts appreciate music as a social lubricant of sorts, whereas introverts are more likely to appreciate the music in its own right.

Those who rank low on openness to experience probably won't like music that is alien to their socioeconomic group, and might appreciate music more as a part of their cultural identity.

It is true that intelligence is correlated with openness to experience, but I'm not sure to what extent.

I'm basing this entirely on intuition, no stats or studies so I might be talking utter shite.
Also, I'm not saying there's any wrong or right way to appreciate music.
innertom
Registered Sex Offender
63 IQ
arnt people who study music generally more intelligent than those who don't?
NordicThrasher
Something Wild
148 IQ
Quote by TooktheAtrain
It's probably more to do with openness to experience and introversion, imo. I think most extraverts appreciate music as a social lubricant of sorts, whereas introverts are more likely to appreciate the music in its own right.

Those who rank low on openness to experience probably won't like music that is alien to their socioeconomic group, and might appreciate music more as a part of their cultural identity.

It is true that intelligence is correlated with openness to experience, but I'm not sure to what extent.

I'm basing this entirely on intuition, no stats or studies so I might be talking utter shite.
Also, I'm not saying there's any wrong or right way to appreciate music.

A wrong way to appreciate music would be to, say, listen to it to "fit in" with a certain group or crowd. Although, I suppose that's not truly appreciating, and just more being fake.
Dory77
Zzzzzzap!
44 IQ
From my experience 'intelligent' people (read: booksmart/high IQ whatever) tend to be more open minded about music. They'll listen to symphonies, metal or cheesy pop songs, they can appreciate it for what it is and that each genre has its own niche. Some less intelligent people I know seem more close minded about music and only really appreciate the genres/bands they know and enjoy.
Realistically though I think it'd be incredibly hard to find a correlation between intelligence and musical tastes, aside from a few anecdotes. How is intelligence to be measured? How are we linking it to musical tastes?
"People like Coldplay and voted for the Nazis; you can't trust people."
ErikLensherr
ENDHATE
1,686 IQ
Quote by innertom
arnt people who study music generally more intelligent than those who don't?

Nah if they were smart they'd be studying a real subject.
Quote by EpiExplorer