Page 2 of 3
Ew throwbacks?
Quote by Overlord
It's not hard to be nice, but it's nice to be hard
Quote by element4433
It came across as movie insanity, not actual insanity. It was like they were telling me he was insane, not showing. If that makes sense.

I can respect that
Quote by Carnivean
Ew throwbacks?

I haven't seen any of the Bond films before Craig, so to me it was just bringing in props and characters form the previous movies.
Quote by Carnivean
Ew throwbacks?

Well, not horribly overdone throwbacks.

Just things like having the DB5 back, ejector button references, other little things.

The DB5 got wolf-whistled at the showing I was at
Pierce Brosnan LOOKED the most like Bond, Sean Connery was the best overall Bond, and Daniel Craig is a good bond. I think most of the Bonds have been good for different reasons, honestly. He has to change periodically to stay culturally and socially relevant - people today who didn't see the original Bonds wouldn't get half the mannerisms and such that the older films used because they're not relevant now.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
Quote by willT08
I can respect that
After the suicide thing, it made all the other stuff more menacing when you look back at it. If he had done something similar to that, probably not that extreme, right away it would have made everything more insane.

That's excluding the teeth thing. That was nuts.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Quote by willT08

The DB5 got wolf-whistled at the showing I was at

Same. Everyone went crazy
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Is he even a spy anymore? or is it just "hey I'm James Bond let's fight"
My God, it's full of stars!
Quote by Apollo1449
I didn't like the whole house scene either, it just seemed way too violent for a Bond vs. Villian showdown. In past movies he would have used some Q gadget to cleverly kill the villian, but this time he's blazing with automatic weapons and such. It just had a different feel, much like WCPhils said, more like the gritty rough Dark Knight version of James Bond rather than the classy, cool, suave Bond that I grew up watching.

However, Javier Bardem is by far the best Bond villain I have seen in a long welcome.

I don't think The Dark Knight influenced anything beyond Wally Pfisters cinematography. TDK wasn't exactly a shining example of film originality that suddenly introduced things to cinema, and I'm sure a filmmaker like Sam Mendes is more coming from the same place that Nolan did rather than "copying" him. Besides, you can't possibly have watched the film and expected an old fashioned bond film. They were pretty much saying with the dialogue "Hey guys, old Bond dosen't work.".

"What did you expect, an exploding pen? We don't really go for that anymore".

Quote by RetroGunslinger
I loved it, especially all the throwbacks to the classic bond movies. Plus the house bit at the end was like Home Alone on steroids

More like Straw Dogs.
Last edited by andyscoot at Nov 11, 2012,
Mythbusters has to do the exploding lightbulbs and floorboards. That was so cool

Quote by andyscoot
I don't think The Dark Knight influenced anything beyond Wally Pfisters cinematography. TDK wasn't exactly a shining example of film originality that suddenly introduced things to cinema, and I'm sure a filmmaker like Sam Mendes is more coming from the same place that Nolan did rather than "copying" him. Besides, you can't possibly have watched the film and expected an old fashioned bond film. They were pretty much saying with the dialogue "Hey guys, old Bond dosen't work.".

"What did you expect, an exploding pen? We don't really go for that anymore".

I don't think anyone was saying that it copied TDK. At least I wasn't

I just saw some similarities in the way it was shot. And I meant it as a good thing. I love TDK.
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Last edited by WCPhils at Nov 11, 2012,
Quote by WCPhils

I don't think anyone was saying that it copied TDK. At least I wasn't

I just saw some similarities in the way it was shot. And I meant it as a good thing. I love TDK.

I mentioned the film in The Film Thread and somebody who didn't enjoy the film (cant remember who) complained of TDK similarities in the plot and the villain. I loved TDK so don't care either way, both brilliant action films.
But boys will be boys and girls have those eyes
that'll cut you to ribbons, sometimes
and all you can do is just wait by the moon
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
I don't get the TDK comparison.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Quote by element4433
I don't get the TDK comparison.

Guy is working from the peripheries to attack MI6/Gotham rather than confronting Bond+M/Batman directly to try and make Bond/Batman doubt himself.
Joker/Silva gets captured but always intended to and predicts exactly how the authorities will act. He then escapes with a couple of boobytraps along the way and tries to shoot M/the Major.
OUT OF ORDER
Quote by captaincrunk
the only art that's about the artist is a self portrait or an autobiography or the like.

I'm an artist and every piece I've written is about me. Wut?
Quote by loose bowels
Guy is working from the peripheries to attack MI6/Gotham rather than confronting Bond+M/Batman directly to try and make Bond/Batman doubt himself.
Joker/Silva gets captured but always intended to and predicts exactly how the authorities will act. He then escapes with a couple of boobytraps along the way and tries to shoot M/the Major.

Also, police uniform disguises.
Quote by Dreadnought
I'm an artist and every piece I've written is about me. Wut?

Maybe you're just really vain.
Quote by EpiExplorer
I swear this guy in particular writes for the telegraph or some shit.

Quote by Fat Lard
My name can actually be traced back to as early as the 1990s, it means "fuck off data miner"
Quote by ErikLensherr
Maybe you're just really vain.

Nope. Artists/composers create something from their "soul" and many have an intimate personal connection with their pieces. Saying "art is not about the artist" is ridiculously pretentious.
Quote by loose bowels

Yeah, because those plot devices have never been used before, ever and where completely invented by Nolan.
Quote by Hydra150
Also, police uniform disguises.

Also also big pane glass skyscrapers in China.
OUT OF ORDER
Quote by captaincrunk
Quote by Hydra150
Nah, I think Ian Fleming would have approved of the modern interpretation (more so than some previous iterations).

art isn't about the artist.

the only art that's about the artist is a self portrait or an autobiography or the like.

As well as being an author and a journalist, Fleming was an upper class naval intelligence officer during the second world war, during which he oversaw spies infiltrating enemy territory to steal vital intelligence and technologies, planned top secret operations to deceive the Nazi high command and was involved in planning "Operation Golden Eye". He was in love with fast cars, just like Bond.
Fleming was a drinking, smoking man of the world.
Art can be about the artist.

btw, I saw a great documentary about this a while ago, didn't find out he was involved in it until recently. It's a fascinating story.
Quote by Telecaster7
I just wasn't expecting it. I was lulled into a false sense of security by the fact that it doesn't come out here for 11 days. I expected this to be an anticipation thread then BAM spoiler in the face.

That's it, I'm never moving to Australia. I was cool with the fact that every animal in that country can kill you, but getting Skyfall on the 22nd? That happen with a lot of stuff?

I loved every minute of Skyfall. Easy in the top 3.

But one thing that annoyed me was that it pretty much killed off the theory that
Bond is an alias used by an agent, like the way 007 is used, so every agent with the 007 code is called James Bond. This cracked article explains it better and actually makes complete sense; http://www.cracked.com/article/18367_6-insane-fan-theories-that-actually-make-great-movies-better/
Schecter Hellraiser Solo 6
Ibanez RGR321EX
Roland Microcube

RIP Dio _\m/

"There are times in your life when you have to ask yourself the question "What would Charlie Sheen do?""

Are You a PROG-HEAD? I am.
Quote by DegaDeth

But one thing that annoyed me was that it pretty much killed off the theory that
Bond is an alias used by an agent, like the way 007 is used, so every agent with the 007 code is called James Bond. This cracked article explains it better and actually makes complete sense; http://www.cracked.com/article/18367_6-insane-fan-theories-that-actually-make-great-movies-better/

Quote by article
Hell, even the guy who directed Die Another Day believed this theory. Wait, that was the Bond movie with the invisible car, right? **** that guy.

Quote by captaincrunk

You can't entirely separate the artist from their work of art. It's impossible. Inspiration doesn't float out of nowhere, despite people supposedly coming up with new ideas in the shower. 'New' ideas all take inspiration from somewhere, mostly from the artist's experiences in life.

With that said, this can also apply to us - the reader/viewer/listener - who is also open to interpret said ideas from the experiences we've had.
Quote by andyscoot
Yeah, because those plot devices have never been used before, ever and where completely invented by Nolan.

Never implied they were, just stating that there are some similarities between the films. Nothing more.
OUT OF ORDER
Last edited by loose bowels at Nov 11, 2012,
Quote by Hydra150

As well as being an author and a journalist, Fleming was an upper class naval intelligence officer during the second world war, during which he oversaw spies infiltrating enemy territory to steal vital intelligence and technologies, planned top secret operations to deceive the Nazi high command and was involved in planning "Operation Golden Eye". He was in love with fast cars, just like Bond.
Fleming was a drinking, smoking man of the world.

Fleming was also a descendent of William the Conqueror
Quote by Overlord
Quote by Hydra150

Still, you have to admit that it does make sense
Ibanez RGR321EX
Roland Microcube

RIP Dio _\m/

"There are times in your life when you have to ask yourself the question "What would Charlie Sheen do?""

No one actually liked all those semi sci-fi Bond movies, right?

Those were shit
___

Quote by The_Blode
Quote by DegaDeth
Still, you have to admit that it does make sense

Yeah, I think we've all pondered it, but it doesn't really matter to me. It could be true, it could be false, it is never confirmed (and now seemingly denied) within the canon - at some point you have to suspend your disbelief and just enjoy the character for what he is.

Unless you're one of the guys who wants JJ Abrams to introduce a genetically deforming Klingon virus in the next Star Trek film, that is.
Last edited by Hydra150 at Nov 11, 2012,
Quote by Hydra150
Yeah, I think we've all pondered it, but it doesn't really matter to me. It could be true, it could be false, it is never confirmed (and now seemingly denied) within the canon - at some point one has to suspend our disbelief and just enjoy the character for what he is.

Unless you're one of the guys who wants JJ Abrams to introduce a genetically deforming Klingon virus in the next Star Trek film, that is.

I have absolutely no idea what that last sentence means, but yes, it is a film and bloody entertaining films at that.

Btw Sean Connery was momentarily considered to play the Scottish groundskeeper at the end. Would've been cool but would've broken the immersion. If they were going to have him in the film they could've had him in the background playing poker or something
Ibanez RGR321EX
Roland Microcube

RIP Dio _\m/

Quote by DegaDeth
I have absolutely no idea what that last sentence means, but yes, it is a film and bloody entertaining films at that.

It's one for the Star Trek geeks
Quote by DegaDeth

Btw Sean Connery was momentarily considered to play the Scottish groundskeeper at the end. Would've been cool but would've broken the immersion.
Yeah, I kept thinking how it would have been cool for him to play that role. Probably would've ruined it in some way, though (but would have been awesome nonetheless).
Quote by DegaDeth

Btw Sean Connery was momentarily considered to play the Scottish groundskeeper at the end. Would've been cool but would've broken the immersion. If they were going to have him in the film they could've had him in the background playing poker or something

I thought it actually was Sean Connery, having never seen him.
Quote by GuitarGod_92
when I die of a brain aneurysm I want it on record that its the film threads fault

Quote by GuitarGod_92
Movies are all bad every last one of them

Quote by yope
Fungus has a right to exist. It's a valid life form.
Quote by WCPhils
No one actually liked all those semi sci-fi Bond movies, right?

Those were shit

Which ones?
Quote by Overlord
Seen it twice, absolutely loved it. Thought the visuals were gorgeous, especially the colours towards the end, and some of the establishing shots in the middle.

EDIT:

Also, all the London scenes were an absolute joy, as was, generally, having Bond
at home (literally, and just generally, on home soil).

Also, Angry-Bond-Face when the DB5 gets blown up was ****ing fabulous.
Quote by Carnivean
Which ones?

I don't know. They've all mixed together in my head.

Just the ones with all the outrageous gadgets and unbelievable characters and stuff. idk

I like this more believable and gritty Bond
___

Quote by The_Blode
My friend, who's the biggest James Bond fan ever, just texted me "Holy ****ing shit."
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano

Quote by WCPhils
I don't know. They've all mixed together in my head.

Just the ones with all the outrageous gadgets and unbelievable characters and stuff. idk

I like this more believable and gritty Bond
Moonraker's finale is in space.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano