I just bought this little guy...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1v3upcul5nlzofj/PA100.jpg

I got it for less than $300 USD equivalent! SOUNDS AMAZING! It's not hugely loud but the cleans you get out of this baby are phenomenal, specially when clipping! As soon as I have clips of this I'll post them!

Cathbard told this is like having 4 Fender Twins. Maybe I can learn to mod with this baby and work on something interesting...

Mesa Royal Atlantic
Emperor 4x12 Silver Bells
PRS Swamp Ash Limited Custom 24
EQD Acapulco Gold
MXR Carbon Copy
EHX Epitome
EHX Superego
Fuzz Hugger Algal Bloom
Way Huge Fat Sandwich
hnad.

i would think you could get a pretty loud sound outta that PA100. that is from when they used linear transformers and the such.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Cool amp. I see a lot of Marshall PA heads converted for guitar use but I wonder what your Fender would sound like.

Probably really clean. Anywho, HNAD
Quote by Axelfox
my mom and i went to a furry con and on the second day she said she didn't come and pay money to go see dumb shit.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Thank you!

IDK, it has a damn HUGE transformer but the volume is not that high, maybe something needs a fix, any ideas?

Mesa Royal Atlantic
EQD Acapulco Gold
MXR Carbon Copy
EHX Epitome
EHX Superego
Fuzz Hugger Algal Bloom
Way Huge Fat Sandwich
Did he say how old the tubes are?
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
See, it's important that people clarify when they say "metal", because I pretty much always assume they are a Cannibal Corpse fanboi.
Nope

Mesa Royal Atlantic
EQD Acapulco Gold
MXR Carbon Copy
EHX Epitome
EHX Superego
Fuzz Hugger Algal Bloom
Way Huge Fat Sandwich
Lack of volume.... power tubes.... Do you have any spares laying around to test?
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
See, it's important that people clarify when they say "metal", because I pretty much always assume they are a Cannibal Corpse fanboi.
Nope but I'm buying tubes for all my amps soon . Let's hope that works!

Mesa Royal Atlantic
EQD Acapulco Gold
MXR Carbon Copy
EHX Epitome
EHX Superego
Fuzz Hugger Algal Bloom
Way Huge Fat Sandwich
Quote by gumbilicious
hnad.

i would think you could get a pretty loud sound outta that PA100. that is from when they used linear transformers and the such.

If it was ultralinear wouldn't it be 135 watts?
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by tubetime86
If it was ultralinear wouldn't it be 135 watts?

that is what i was thinking, i think they made them from mid to late 70's so you'd think they'd have the ultra linear trannies. they labeled it as a PA100 though.

i am wondering if a boost in the front may help.

i actually played a black face showman a little while back and it was not very loud. not nearly as loud as i was expecting, i dunno wassup with that.

-ae
I had a Bassman 100 that was pretty 'quiet' compared to most 100 watters I've played. My tech gave me a pile of mumbo jumbo including the oh-so-hated 'even vs odd order harmonics' speech.

I do think their scooped sound plays a part though. My Bassman was loud and punchy, just not as deafening as I expected.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by gregs1020
it's a stereo amp...

Don't. Even. ****ing. Go. There!

“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Quote by gregs1020
it's a stereo amp...

god, it's not a stereo amp... but you can play guitar through it.

-ae
HNAD!
Why don't they make mouse flavored cat food?
Last edited by gregs1020 at Nov 12, 2012,
very nice
Quote by crownegamers
I saw in a couple of pictures that on Bucketheads Les Paul (only some pictures) that his neck pickup is painted in white. Can anyone explain to me why he would do this, and if there are any pros and cons.

Quote by dspellman
The guy wears a KFC Bucket and a white mask during performances, and you're interested in the color of his pickup covers?

Any time you buy an old amp you have to buy power tubes, even if just for testing purpose. Often it will have american or british preamp tubes which can still be fine but you'd be lucky if the power tubes are still 100%. You should be testing everything thoroughly. Go armed with known good tubes and start testing by substitution.

Looks to be in pretty good condition. Nice score.
HNAD

PS, it should be as loud as ****. You could even use it as an acceptable PA in a pub with the appropriate bins.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Thank you guys, I really like how it sounds and that it has 4 channels, the guy who sold it to me was actually impressed on how it sounded while I was trying it.

Cath: any mods you suggest for this? I was thinking if could add gain stages or something like that over one of the channels.

Mesa Royal Atlantic
EQD Acapulco Gold
MXR Carbon Copy
EHX Epitome
EHX Superego
Fuzz Hugger Algal Bloom
Way Huge Fat Sandwich
Last edited by Perverockstar69 at Nov 13, 2012,
Adding gain stages would be difficult. I wouldn't go down that path, I'd just play with component values around the tone controls and different tubes in different channels. You probably won't even need to do that. Don't try to turn it into a metal amp, it's a Twin.
Sort out the tubes first.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I was trying to get some blues rock OD but maybe a pedal would work. Maybe giving different voices to the channels? As soon as I get tubes I'll PM you and we will see what else can be done . Thank you!

Mesa Royal Atlantic
EQD Acapulco Gold
MXR Carbon Copy
EHX Epitome
EHX Superego
Fuzz Hugger Algal Bloom
Way Huge Fat Sandwich
I would do a ton of research on Fender Twin tonestacks for a while... Then when you feel confident I would start on one of the channels and play around with values. Take tons of notes and keep a record of what worked well and what didn't. After a few weeks of trying different changes you should have a good idea what you liked and what you didn't... So at that point you could sit down and decide on four different voicings.

I'm no tech, so I don't know any of the specifics, but from what I understand changing the voicing of an amp is basically the easiest mod you can do... Basically just swapping resistor and capacitor values.

Any of the more savvy guys please correct me if I'm wrong anywhere here, but it seems to me this is the best course of action. A Twin with four different 'modes' would be cool as hell in my opinion.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
I'll listen to you, I'm already taking action and looking for tubes too! Thank you guys!

Edit: BTW, the more I read about this amp and I'm feeling more excited, I think I got a keeper unit for stoner and blues... I guess I'll try to make a channel darker (like if it wasn't dark enough xD) and one more classic fender sparkle on another to begin with , I'll keep another one intact though, I like the sound .

Edit 2: I found out I can cascade one channel to another to get some crunch... :O

Mesa Royal Atlantic
EQD Acapulco Gold
MXR Carbon Copy
EHX Epitome
EHX Superego
Fuzz Hugger Algal Bloom
Way Huge Fat Sandwich
Last edited by Perverockstar69 at Nov 15, 2012,
You could do it with relays so that in it's normal position it will operate as before and when you want a boost you lose one of the channels. If you are real clever you could convert the volume knob on the channel you sacrifice as your gain knob. It would be a little tricky and you'll need to build a relay board to switch everything around.
I doubt I'd go that way though, if I were you. I'd just add a switch or two to add in different capacitors and leave the normal signal path otherwise intact. You have no mids control so what you need to do is compensate for that. Just shift the top and mid shelves around on the different channels by altering the capacitor values. If you do it with switches then you can easily return it to stock when you want to use it as a PA at parties.
I would probably add a relay logic board myself but it would be a lot of work. Try playing with the voicing like I described first. Maybe later when you are more competent and confident you can tackle something that complex.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Nov 15, 2012,
Nice Cath! Thanks a lot, very interesting the switches thing, It would be very good to get it back to stock with a flip of a switch indeed! What about sticking a EQ pedal in front? Would it make this amp more guitar friendly?

Mesa Royal Atlantic
EQD Acapulco Gold
MXR Carbon Copy
EHX Epitome
EHX Superego
Fuzz Hugger Algal Bloom
Way Huge Fat Sandwich
You could certainly make some tweaks that you liked... But if there is something inherently not guitar-friendly about the voicing of it then an EQ will only fight that issue, not correct it. It's a band aid solution... But sometimes all you need is a band aid.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
now, I don't expect this amp to be a tone monster you know? But something somewhat versatile, fun and functional . I really think this could be my amp for garage and stoner rock! And a PA for gigging at partys !

Mesa Royal Atlantic
EQD Acapulco Gold
MXR Carbon Copy
EHX Epitome
EHX Superego
Fuzz Hugger Algal Bloom
Way Huge Fat Sandwich
Quote by Perverockstar69
now, I don't expect this amp to be a tone monster you know? But something somewhat versatile, fun and functional . I really think this could be my amp for garage and stoner rock! And a PA for gigging at partys !

I don't see why it'd be any different from a Twin... Big, loud, clean...
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
well, I've never experienced a Twin, I know those are great amps but anyway... It's big and clean, not loud though, I'm ordering tubes next week maybe!

Mesa Royal Atlantic
EQD Acapulco Gold
MXR Carbon Copy
EHX Epitome
EHX Superego
Fuzz Hugger Algal Bloom
Way Huge Fat Sandwich
If you want some cool overdrive to nasty up the sound a bit, I recommend an inexpensive tube preamp. Mine, a Behringer MIC200, cost $43 new, if I remember correctly. It made all the difference in the world. I have a Twin and I can get some bluesy cranked sound now at somewhat non-lethal volumes.