Armor
32 IQ
Ok. I'm purchasing a Charvel that comes with Emg 81's.
I've been thinking about maybe putting the AHB-1 (blackouts) or the AHB-2 (metal blackouts) instead.
I play more metal rhythm. Alot of chugs and pinch harmonics. Which would be better?
jjfeu662
Celestia
1,996 IQ
EMGs and Blackouts are the 2 leading metal pickups, so either one will be awesome, which is just personal preference.
Tomorrow will take us away
Far from home
No one will ever know our names
But the bards' songs will remain
Tomorrow will take it away
The fear of today
It will be gone
Due to our magic songs

ALL HAIL CELESTIA
leesops
957 IQ
Armor

I had the metal blackouts they are very hot and have alot of treble in them .

They sounded okay but I sold them and went back to the normal Blackouts.

A cheaper way if you want the best of both pickups would be get EMG Hz-H4 and the Blackouts Modular Preamp.

Used EMG Hz-H4 go for around $15.00 bucks and the preamp around $49.99.

You will get the bite of the EMG and the heavey chug of the Blackouts.

Very easy to install I did my SG in less then 30 mins.
KailM
5,120 IQ
I would try the EMG 81 first, unless you already know how they sound through your rig. Because they are designed to do exactly what you described.

That said, I run Blackout AHB-1s in my Schecter and they sound amazing. Definitely good for chugging, screaming harmonics and everything else in metal. Compared to EMGs 81s on Youtube demos, the Blackouts sound a bit warmer and richer, whereas the EMG 81 sound a little clearer and maybe tighter. But I haven't played a guitar with an 81 through my rig so I can't tell you from firsthand experience how different they are.
Seanthesheep
3,602 IQ
Depends on the wood of the charvel. In my gibson Im not really digging the emg81 i threw in it but my poplar godin is a monster with its stock EMG81.

But Ive also been really curious to try blackouts......