loop-de-luke
Kickin' it....
3,309 IQ
Wondering if it's possible to stain a guitar body with actual red wine from a bottle? Has this been done? Any photos? I can't seem to find anything, only 'wine red stain' as in a stain that mimicks the colour of red wine...

Also, what's the easiest method for a DIY stain job of this kind? What will I need? I'm after this kind of finish:
http://www.cmcguitars.com/Fender-AM-STD-Wine-Red-Hand-Stained-Ash-Tele-p/fender-am-std-hs-tele-wine-rd.htm

Cheers
eddiehimself
Call me EH, eh?
1,540 IQ
This sounds like a REAL stupid idea.
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
W4RP1G
Please, call me Pig.
2,847 IQ
Seems like the type of thing people would brag about, even though it's stupid and pointless.

Do yourself a favor and use some good stains, unless you are just trying to do something different.
tubetime86
I don't even play guitar.
1,633 IQ
Make sure you sniff the cork first.

I'd prefer a guitar made from whiskey barrels though.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
rahmanwarsi123
Banned
10 IQ
Why do people always get these ridiculous ideas? stain is cheap. Why try so many stupid ideas to get a less than great finish?
3,309 IQ
Hahah you know I never thought this kind of question, after my many other questions about this guitar on the forums, would get UG slammed!

Explorerbuilder & rahmanwarsi123: stain isn't that cheap. You mention using other materials (such as wine, which permanently stains everything when you don't want it to) is sub-par to using real stains for guitars which will produce a super awesome stain job... from what I have found, stains designed for guitars are upwards of $18 each, and you need a couple at least to mix and customise the tint. Wine is upwards of $3 a bottle.

Seeing as there are so many guitars on the market that have a 'red wine stain' finish, wouldn't it seem reasonable to consider an AUTHENTIC red wine stain on a guitar? Considering it seems nobody has asked this question before here (judging from your comments and a quick google search on the subject), I thought I would.

Also, what is a stupider and more ridiculous idea is sanding back half the paint job on a guitar to make it look vintage when it isn't... Fender do it and they sell for more than the standards.

I appreciate your opinion that it's a shit idea, by it would be more helpful if you explained why... knowing that red wine stains things red (which is a good start). If you have tried it and it turned out shit, then explain why that happened... as other posters have found, wine staining things isn't something new and totally weird!
Explorerbuilder
3,172 IQ
Quote by loop-de-luke

Explorerbuilder & rahmanwarsi123: stain isn't that cheap. You mention using other materials (such as wine, which permanently stains everything when you don't want it to) is sub-par to using real stains for guitars which will produce a super awesome stain job... from what I have found, stains designed for guitars are upwards of $18 each, and you need a couple at least to mix and customise the tint. Wine is upwards of $3 a bottle.

I have no idea what kind of stains you are using... But you can get analyine dye made for guitars, for 4 bucks, which makes over 2 quarts of stain... I have had the same cup that i ordered 3 years ago already, and am still not out.

No excuses, dye and stain is cheap, use it.
loop-de-luke
Kickin' it....
3,309 IQ
Quote by Explorerbuilder
I have no idea what kind of stains you are using... But you can get analyine dye made for guitars, for 4 bucks, which makes over 2 quarts of stain... I have had the same cup that i ordered 3 years ago already, and am still not out.

No excuses, dye and stain is cheap, use it.

Where abouts did you get the stain from? I've looked at some hardware stores for wood stains (not a great option but thought it'd be cheaper at least) and it was still pretty pricey... I also found some on Stewmac.com which are about $18 a bottle
Explorerbuilder
3,172 IQ
The stew mac ones you are looking at are the liquid stains. Even though they are expensive, you need maybe 1 drop to stain an entire guitar when mixed with alcohol.

Here are some powdered dyes from LMI that i use.

http://www.lmii.com/CartTwo/thirdproducts.asp?CategoryName=Dyes&NameProdHeader=Aniline+Dyes+Alcohol+Soluble

http://www.lmii.com/CartTwo/thirdproducts.asp?CategoryName=Dyes&NameProdHeader=Aniline+Dyes+Water+Soluble
seabear70
Lost in the Twilight Zone
490 IQ
Most of what people do is stupid and pointless.

Fire was a bad idea.

Sure, it keeps you warm and let's you see at night, but cover yourself with furs and a good woman or two and you'll be warm enough and what did you want to see anyway?

OTOH : It did lead to pretty much everything we take for granted now.

If the guy wants to stain his guitar with wine, I say go for it.

If he wants to try the same thing with piss, go for it and keep it away from me.

It's his guitar.
seljer
UG Resident
1,381 IQ
Quote by seabear70

If he wants to try the same thing with piss, go for it and keep it away from me.

It's his guitar.

someone should do a plexiglass guitar with actual liquids in it thats a tribute to Metallica's Load
seabear70
490 IQ
Quote by seljer
someone should do a plexiglass guitar with actual liquids in it thats a tribute to Metallica's Load

Does it have to sound Horrible, too?
seljer
UG Resident
1,381 IQ
Quote by seabear70
Does it have to sound Horrible, too?

I was alluring to the blood/semen on the cover art.
And then also remembered that Kirk Hammet has got a plastic telecaster with water in it

And all this talk of wine staining makes me want to actually attempt it, I made a simple outdoor bench for sitting on last weekend, maybe this weekend I'll try how much half a cup of red wine does to it
Arab_Philosofer
35 IQ
I like the idea, get some wine and try it. I don't know how well wine in perticular works but ancient peoples have made due with less.
seljer
UG Resident
1,381 IQ
Quote by Arab_Philosofer
I like the idea, get some wine and try it. I don't know how well wine in perticular works but ancient peoples have made due with less.

Beets
W4RP1G
Please, call me Pig.
2,847 IQ
Quote by seabear70
Most of what people do is stupid and pointless.

Fire was a bad idea.

Sure, it keeps you warm and let's you see at night, but cover yourself with furs and a good woman or two and you'll be warm enough and what did you want to see anyway?

OTOH : It did lead to pretty much everything we take for granted now.

If the guy wants to stain his guitar with wine, I say go for it.

It's his guitar.

Well obviously, he can do what he wants, but he came here asking about it so...

i think the basic idea is that instead of trying to save a couple of dollars and possibly opening a can of worms, he can just get a wine colored dye and do what is known to work.

Personally, I think the whole finishing process is a huge pain, so I'd go with what it known and has lots of online tutorials and whatnot.
seabear70
490 IQ
Quote by W4RP1G
Well obviously, he can do what he wants, but he came here asking about it so...

i think the basic idea is that instead of trying to save a couple of dollars and possibly opening a can of worms, he can just get a wine colored dye and do what is known to work.

Personally, I think the whole finishing process is a huge pain, so I'd go with what it known and has lots of online tutorials and whatnot.

My first paintjob was a Dragon Skin with a sunburst.

I decided to do that paint job for one simple reason, I could not find a single reference to anyone else having done one.

I'm sure someone has tried it before.

They would almost have to have tried it.

But the lack of any evidence that it had been done is what made up my mind.

It was a stupid thing to do.

I knew nothing about what i was doing.

I was terrified I was goign to screw it up.

It's awsome.

I do not use that word lightly.
W4RP1G
Please, call me Pig.
2,847 IQ
Quote by seabear70
My first paintjob was a Dragon Skin with a sunburst.

I decided to do that paint job for one simple reason, I could not find a single reference to anyone else having done one.

I'm sure someone has tried it before.

They would almost have to have tried it.

But the lack of any evidence that it had been done is what made up my mind.

It was a stupid thing to do.

I knew nothing about what i was doing.

I was terrified I was goign to screw it up.

It's awsome.

I do not use that word lightly.

Well I'm glad it worked out for you, but I think most everyone should hear out the opposition before making a decision like this. I know I'd be annoyed if I asked for an opinion on something and everyone held their tongue for fear of being a naysayer.
seabear70
490 IQ
Quote by LeviMan_2001
Just stain the thing with WINE and post pics so people will stop WHINING already.

+1
seabear70
490 IQ
Ya know...

If wine works out, it just raises more questions...

For example....

What about Jack Daniels?
W4RP1G
Please, call me Pig.
2,847 IQ
Quote by seabear70
Ya know...

If wine works out, it just raises more questions...

For example....

What about Jack Daniels?

That's an expensive stain!

Or what about a br00tz guitar stained with lamb's blood?!
IronMaiden76
UG's Krabby Patty
2,300 IQ
Quote by W4RP1G
That's an expensive stain!

Or what about a br00tz guitar stained with lamb's blood?!

If you thought that would be expensive try Scotch...
Call me Chris
Quote by jimihendrix6699
had a blast until the person in front of me whipped out his dick and started pissing all over the floor..

Ducks and guitars or fish and guitars. I lead a simple existence
DLrocket89
UG's roaming amp builder
950 IQ
I say go for it. I find it's fun trying something out for the sake of trying it out, not that it makes more or less sense. Dare to be different, it's more entertaining that way.

Quote by kcdakrt
DLrocket89 makes my ug experience better!

Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list

Kit Amp Building Tutorial
loop-de-luke
Kickin' it....
3,309 IQ
It's funny that you should finally say "just do it so everyone can stop talking about it"

I left this thread a while ago as I stopped getting notifications, just found it again to notice a whole bunch of people say "yeah go for it, **** what everyone else says" and whatnot... all of a sudden everyone is agreeing that it should be tried. Funny...

Alas, I went out and bought some furniture stain because I was desperate and couldn't find anything else. Haven't used it yet, but since re-finding this thread I might just try the wine.

To get the record straight, by the way... I wasn't asking about using wine because it would be cheaper, I was asking to see if it would work or if anyone had tried it before (and if they got good or bad results). I figured a real red wine stain would be authentic and unique. Sure, stains designed for guitars are gonna work and wine might not... but that's exactly why I posted this thread.

Thanks for the comments though, I'll try it out on some wood and see what happens... will post photos (if I remember to). One does not simply use wine for decorative purposes without drinking most of it
Derickonfire
This is my custom title.
575 IQ
Use wine!

Forget these people telling you it's a stupid idea.. I don't think they even know what rock and roll is about!

I like this wine idea... I already use real blood and the like in my paintings.
woad_yurt
959 IQ
Wine will stain it; I don't know how well. though. But, since it's mostly water, it'll raise up the grain a bit, too.

Over the years, I've tried water-based stains a few times on other projects and every time it raised the grain on the wood, necessitating more sanding and yet another stain coat. It's a vicious circle. I'd go with regular, old, oil-based woodstain.
Last edited by woad_yurt at Nov 27, 2012,
loop-de-luke
Kickin' it....
3,309 IQ
Quote by woad_yurt
Wine will stain it; I don't know how well. though. But, since it's mostly water, it'll raise up the grain a bit, too.

Over the years, I've tried water-based stains a dew times on other projects and every time it raised the grain on the wood, necessitating more sanding and yet another stain coat. It's a vicious circle. I'd go with regular, old, oil-based woodstain.

Yeah I had a think about the water content thing... that'd mean I'd probably have to use a water-based lacquer too, right? I'm not sure... I've already bought some wood stains from a hardware store and some polyurethane lacquer, gonna give it a go on some scraps and see what works best. Might still try the wine thing on some off cuts but will have to rethink the lacquer.

What do you reckon about staining with a dark stain (black japan), sanding back and restaining with a red (mahogany)? Someone suggested that to me as the black will bring out the grain more and give it some cool patterns
woad_yurt
959 IQ
I'd mix the stains and then wipe. Test it on a scrap until you get your color.
seabear70
490 IQ
Ok, I'm just going to throw this out there...

What if you reduced the water content of the wine somehow?

Distillation comes to mind.

You obviously don't want to remove all of it, but wouldn't a reduction of half the water result in a little less sanding and possibly a richer color?
woad_yurt
959 IQ
You'd then need to add a solvent or you'd be just smearing too-thick stuff around. Once you add a solvent, you'd have regular, ol' traditional stain but of a very, very low quality.
RebuildIt
254 IQ
Wine reduces easily by simple boiling, distillation is overkill. I don't suggest a full boil, just simmer it gently. The alcohol will boil off first, at about 173 F, then it will stop boiling until it gets up to water's boiling point, 212 F. Because its not pure water the exact temperature will be a bit different. But we don't care about that stuff, right? we just want most of the water gone. It will take 30-45 minutes to reduce one bottle of wine. It will be somewhat faster if you boil it harder, but if you're not paying attention (and who can sit and watch things boil for more than a few minutes?) you can make a mess.
Phil Starr
Tab Contributor
1,128 IQ
The major pigment in red wine is anthocyanin. On exposure to air and ultra-violet light it will oxidise and turn brown, it will also fade. This is why red wine is always stored in coloured bottles. If you want a brown guitar with natural pigments coffee or tea would do it better. If you want it stained with anthocyanin then beetroot or red cabbage would do it better as it has more pigment. Anthocyanin is an indicator pigment like litmus and is only red in acid conditions so it will give different colours with different woods, but it will still fade and go brown.

Depending upon the wood the water will raise the surface grain but that can be sanded back after. The wood will have a 10-20% water content anyway so once it has dried the wine will make no difference to the finishing.