Usernames sucks
Tab Contributor
12,735 IQ
Hi i always wanted a prs custom 24, but it costs like trhree times what i can afford. How is the prs se in comparison? Is the sound and playability different or is it just the look and quality? Would a pickup swap be benifitial in a prs se?
LP_CL
Gimme a beer!
2,072 IQ
If you can not afford the prs, the obvious choice is the SE. Far from the same quality, but not a bad guitar at all.
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
3volved
122 IQ
With the SE line you get cheaper wood, cheaper hardware and a flat laminate top, but the SE line is excellent. I've had no problems with the 2 SE's I own. The pickups are quite good as well, I wouldn't buy replacements until you've spent some time with it.
PRS Tremonti Signature (charcoal burst)
Gibson Les Paul Studio Nitro (electric lime)
PRS SE One
---
EVH 5150 III 50w / 5150 III 212 cab
Blackstar HT-5
Charvel1995
Ronda Rousey Fanboy
1,873 IQ
The SE series is great value for the money. I had one for about 9 months until I traded it away for a Tele, but I loved it and I had no trouble with it, the hardware is good quality, you won't have any issues with that.

The pickups can do a variety of genres, but don't expect them to do drop G# grindcore or shit like that, they just aren't made for it.

You'll have no trouble getting jazz, blues, hard rock, classic rock, and some metal tones out of them though. Spend time with the pickups before you change them though, they're better than you would think.
Main Rig:

Epiphone MKH Les Paul Custom 7 - Ronda
Ibanez RG8 "Scarlet" - AKA The Rambanez
Fender Strat "Danielle"/"Dani"
Line 6 POD HD Pro
Randall XL 4x12

Come join us...

Purchase list: Jim Root Tele, Jim Root Jazzmaster, MTM20
Zoomyrs1
11 IQ
Quote by 3volved
With the SE line you get cheaper wood, cheaper hardware and a flat laminate top, but the SE line is excellent. I've had no problems with the 2 SE's I own. The pickups are quite good as well, I wouldn't buy replacements until you've spent some time with it.

The new ones are semi-carved. Nothing like a Custom, but there is a bit of curve. They also have the pick-up taps and a slide pick-up selector. What you don't get is the trem system or locking hardware. That can comprared to a Custom 22 the neck pickup is a little further back.

I just got a pretty decent deal on a SE Custom 24, its not a Maryland guitar, but for $550 there aren't a lot of other new guitars I would choose over it.
Seanthesheep
3,602 IQ
Well I own a Cu24 and recently got to play a 2012 spec SE CU24 and oh my gawd. The SE is really good and the carve top is amazing. I still prefer my CU24 but the SEs are really good
Zoomyrs1
11 IQ
Quote by Seanthesheep
Well I own a Cu24 and recently got to play a 2012 spec SE CU24 and oh my gawd. The SE is really good and the carve top is amazing. I still prefer my CU24 but the SEs are really good

Basically the only negative I have heard about the SE Cu24 is that its not a Maryland guitar.

Took me about 2 minutes before I was begging the guy to take my money
Seanthesheep
3,602 IQ
Quote by Zoomyrs1
Basically the only negative I have heard about the SE Cu24 is that its not a Maryland guitar.

Took me about 2 minutes before I was begging the guy to take my money

Yepp. Easily on par with my gibson and not that far behind my USA PRS :lol:

Im actually REALLY considering buying one of those 7 string SE CU24s
Tom 1.0
Hot For Teacher
6,308 IQ
Could always go for a 2nd hand CE24?
Quote by Lemoninfluence
I'm not familiar with police procedures.

1977 Burny FLG70
Zoomyrs1
11 IQ
Quote by Seanthesheep
Yepp. Easily on par with my gibson and not that far behind my USA PRS :lol:

Im actually REALLY considering buying one of those 7 string SE CU24s

My other guitars are an early 80s BC Rich Eagle, and a 1998 Les Paul SL, I ran across a Scheter(SP) 7 string that played damn well. But I don't have the time for a band so "What the **** am I going to do with this" ruled the day.

I figure I can set the Paul up for barritone and see how that goes, and if it sucks the BC has a much longer scale so it would likely work better, but I don't want to barri the 24 fret neck.

Should cover all bases though.
Roc8995
2,050 IQ
Quote by Tom 1.0
Could always go for a 2nd hand CE24?

That's what I'd do. I keep hearing that the SE series is so amazing but I've played at least 20 by now and for the most part they've been good for the price but not fantastic. Maryland PRS are almost always fantastic - if you can find one within your budget it's no contest.
kova.lee
81 IQ
I'll also add my voice to those who're saying that the SE series excellent for the price range. I have an SE Custom 24 and an SE Custom Semihollow. The SE Custom 24 is good but I LOVE my SE Custom Semihollow to death - I honestly wouldn't trade it for anything but a Maryland PRS that's made in the exact same style.
Linkerman
UG's Tony Stark
6,724 IQ
After i tried a couple of Paul Reed Smith guitars at a store, i fell in love with them.
I've craved one for a looooong time, and in 2009 i finally bought a brand-new SE Singlecut.
I've had it since 2009, and i still have nothing but excellent things to say about it.

Go ahead and buy an SE, they're worth every cent IMHO.

Oh, and about the pickup change: i haven't changed mine yet, and i don't plan to. They sound amazing.
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
Zoomyrs1
11 IQ
Quote by Usernames sucks
Ggod to hear! How is the tremolo, Can i tune to drop d, or do i need a tremolno?

You can adjust the trems, fr drop D but if you want to jump around between them yeah block it off.
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl
2,968 IQ
Quote by Roc8995
That's what I'd do. I keep hearing that the SE series is so amazing but I've played at least 20 by now and for the most part they've been good for the price but not fantastic. Maryland PRS are almost always fantastic - if you can find one within your budget it's no contest.

+1

well i don't think i've played 20 but i'm sure i've played 5 or 6 by now, and while there was nothing really wrong with them, they were a bit meh.
Quote by crownegamers
I saw in a couple of pictures that on Bucketheads Les Paul (only some pictures) that his neck pickup is painted in white. Can anyone explain to me why he would do this, and if there are any pros and cons.

Quote by dspellman
The guy wears a KFC Bucket and a white mask during performances, and you're interested in the color of his pickup covers?

Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl
2,968 IQ
^ the USA-made ones, i think.
Quote by crownegamers
I saw in a couple of pictures that on Bucketheads Les Paul (only some pictures) that his neck pickup is painted in white. Can anyone explain to me why he would do this, and if there are any pros and cons.

Quote by dspellman
The guy wears a KFC Bucket and a white mask during performances, and you're interested in the color of his pickup covers?

IronMaiden76
UG's Krabby Patty
2,300 IQ
Maryland PRS is just made in Maryland, like a Mexican Tele is made in Mexico..?
Call me Chris
Quote by jimihendrix6699
had a blast until the person in front of me whipped out his dick and started pissing all over the floor..

Ducks and guitars or fish and guitars. I lead a simple existence
Zoomyrs1
11 IQ
Quote by Usernames sucks
Well would this maryland guitars you are talking about be prs or prs se? Also can someone post me a link? I cand find anthing about it with google...

http://www.prsguitars.com/p22/ Made in Maryland

http://www.prsguitars.com/secustom24/# made in Korea.

http://www.prsguitars.com/custom24_experience2012/# Also a Maryland.....and a bucketlist instrument for me.

Oh this more or less covers the difference which essentially amounts to the SEs are made in Korea, SE signatures and pretty much the rest of them are made in the US for about three times the price. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PRS_Guitars

For me, I can't justify a $2,900 dollar instrument, and the C24 certainly isn't three times better then the SE24. Its better, the C24 is the only electric I would take over a Les Paul Standard (another instrument that I can't justify the expense).
Last edited by Zoomyrs1 at Nov 14, 2012,
BobDetroit
►Motor City ♪
514 IQ
Quote by Zoomyrs1
and the C24 certainly isn't three times better then the SE24.
Um, yeah it is..
Zoomyrs1
11 IQ
Quote by BobDetroit
Um, yeah it is..

Its prettier certainly, there isn't that huge of a difference between the two. Certainly not $2,400 mechanically or tonally.

I've never really bought into the whole used car money for a SOLID body electric. For an acoustic certainly ,you get what you pay for, a semi-hollow, same deal. For a solid body....not so much, they are more dependent on set up, electronics and amplification then actual construction.

The differences between an Epiphone Les Paul and a studio are mainly ergonomic/cosmetic, pickups aren't that hard to come by and you need a damn well trained ear to tell the difference between an Epiphone Les Paul, and a Gibson Les Paul Standard with the same pick-ups and set up. The standard will play better, and likely weigh less.

So for those of us that aren't professional musicians, there is a point of diminishing returns and that will vary player to player. I've noticed once you get out of the mid-range say $700-1200 pricewise there isn't enough of a difference in solids, caveat being the pro that actually DOES need that little bit extra.
Seanthesheep
3,602 IQ
Quote by Usernames sucks
What is maryland prs? Cant seem to find it on google. Also how well do them stay in tune whith the tremolo bridge on the se models? I can always add a tremolno for drop d.

All usa ORS guitars are made in a factory in maryland. The SEs are made in korea. We just say maryland PRS to make the differentiation.

The trema on the USA PRS' are beast and mine homds tuning for months at a time. Not sure how the SE bridge compares but its probably pretty good.