Page 1 of 2
WNxScythe
2,857 IQ
I hadn't listened to this album in a few years but man, it just hits like an emotional brick.

Just makes me want to get up and scream ya know?

Listening to it for extended periods of time puts me into this nostalgia trance, which is a testament to the power of the music because I got into it during a period of my life where not many "memories" happened (basically just working, and living in a city full of strangers)

I'd kill to hear Weezer play this album front to back live, which I think they did a few years ago but I didn't know it was going on

It's funny because I didn't like it much at all at first.
Last edited by WNxScythe at Nov 14, 2012,
getmad24_7
1,302 IQ
Quote by WNxScythe
I hadn't listened to this album in a few years but man, it just hits like an emotional brick.

Just makes me want to get up and scream ya know?

Listening to it for extended periods of time puts me into this nostalgia trance, which is a testament to the power of the music because I got into it during a period of my life where not many "memories" happened (basically just working, and living in a city full of strangers)

I'd kill to hear Weezer play this album front to back live, which I think they did a few years ago but I didn't know it was going on

They are still doing the memories tour right now, iirc. I think they just did it in Orlando. But I'm not sure. I saw it on the weezer cruise, Jose from ozma was right next to me singing back and forth with me on El Scorcho, it was amazingly cool.

And yeah, Pinkerton is an amazing album. One of my all time favorites, for sure. Even for Pinkerton era songs that weren't on it, like Tragic Girl, they still hit you the same way.

Also I named my cat pinkerton.
stratomaster123
437 IQ
The ending to that album kills me every single time. Just breaks my heart. I love the whole thing and then it turns on me haha

also the whole album seems to have this really desperate, i don't care anymore vibe. I haven't really heard anything like it and can't exactly describe it...
Gretsch 5120
Fender Jazzmaster
MIM Fender Strat
Fender Blues Junior
Fender Hot Rod Deville 212
Misc Pedals
Last edited by stratomaster123 at Nov 14, 2012,
turncoat60%
Errday i'm Russellin'
234 IQ
But Thats Just A Stupid Dream That I Wont Realize Cuz I Cant Even Look In Your Eyes
Last edited by turncoat60% at Nov 14, 2012,
due 07
haaan
2,902 IQ
I wish. I think it's well-written and everything, only I find Capitalizing Random Words In Mock Catchphrase Fashion to be very irritating.

I think Pinkerton is a pretty good [musically], but I always kind of chuckle when people relate to it or something, because the lyrics are not only exceedingly crass and misogynistic, but let's be honest, they're clearly prosaic bs.
turncoat60%
Errday i'm Russellin'
234 IQ
dammit due. this is one of the albums i relate to the most. obviously some of the lyrics are creppy af and gross at times but i would rather a songwriter be genuine and say whats on his mind, even if it is weird or creepy, than hold back in fear of being judged. ya its not the most poetic piece of work but damn you can tell he spilled his guts into this album.

idk it may be degrading to women but i think he does an amazing job portraying the sexual frustrations that alot of guys go through. ¯\_('-')_/¯
Mack56
mackabre
1,077 IQ
I thought it was well-written and a good read but I disagreed with some parts of the interpretation the author had with some of it.

But really due, the reason people relate to it is the same reason some of the lyrics are crass and misogynistic and it's also the same reason Rivers kind of hated the album for a while after the fact. It's the inner monologue of an immature, socially inept guy going to college. It's obviously not full of nice, healthy attitudes and it gets pretty damn dark, but it's honest to a fault and the darkness isn't being hidden.
turncoat60%
Errday i'm Russellin'
234 IQ
Quote by Mack56
I thought it was well-written and a good read but I disagreed with some parts of the interpretation the author had with some of it.

But really due, the reason people relate to it is the same reason some of the lyrics are crass and misogynistic and it's also the same reason Rivers kind of hated the album for a while after the fact. It's the inner monologue of an immature, socially inept guy going to college. It's obviously not full of nice, healthy attitudes and it gets pretty damn dark, but it's honest to a fault and the darkness isn't being hidden.

better than i could say it. totally agree.
due 07
haaan
2,902 IQ
I get that it's 'honest' or whatever. I admire diaristic lyrics as much as the next guy, but idgaf that something is honest if I object to its content lol.
Mack56
mackabre
1,077 IQ
It's fine if you object to the content. The point is most people who relate to it aren't extremely proud of the dark or creepy moments involved in said relation. It's just the knowledge that someone else has been there and laid it out in front of the world is a bit comforting.
bradulator
normcore
2,448 IQ
Mack is right.

I haven't listened to Pinkerton in a while because I haven't been hurtin' romantically. But when I was it was perfect. I would rather listen to Blue, but Pinkerton is just so great when you're feeling it.

Sady Doyle needs a life.
bradulator
normcore
2,448 IQ
Quote by due 07
I get that it's 'honest' or whatever. I admire diaristic lyrics as much as the next guy, but idgaf that something is honest if I object to its content lol.

Why do you listen to a lot of rap music then?
due 07
haaan
2,902 IQ
Quote by bradulator
Why do you listen to a lot of rap music then?

because i like it same reason i listen to all music
spitonastranger
Kinski Assassin
554 IQ
Quote by due 07
I wish. I think it's well-written and everything, only I find Capitalizing Random Words In Mock Catchphrase Fashion to be very irritating.

It's ok Due, Rivers made sex simulatenously safer and more intense for me too
daytripper75
Hold mah diiiick!
2,960 IQ
Quote by Mack56

Spot on.

Great album. I've been a huge fan of Weezer since about 6th grade, so...1998? 1999? Something like that.

I just wish most of the new stuff held up to their first 3-4 albums. They have a couple of good songs on their new albums, but overall they've been disappointing.
due 07
haaan
2,902 IQ
Hurley is pretty good. Green is terrrrrrible.
B&J
1,062 IQ
Is this about fallout?
due 07
haaan
2,902 IQ
Just curious, at what point during Pinkerton does Rivers decide to live virtuously? I mean it closes with him bragging about lying to his SO...
Arthur Curry
UnBanned
2,268 IQ
well i deleted my post

all i can really say is that it's my fav weezer release, and the subject-matter deals in part with remorse (incidentally)
Last edited by Arthur Curry at Nov 18, 2012,
turncoat60%
Errday i'm Russellin'
234 IQ
Quote by due 07
Just curious, at what point during Pinkerton does Rivers decide to live virtuously? I mean it closes with him bragging about lying to his SO...

i wouldnt say that he does nor is the point of the album. also i dont understand how he is braggin in butterfly.

i dont understand where youre getting the notion that this album is anything more than some young adult who has an immature, and at times embarrassing view, of relationships and women, like many young guys do.
due 07
haaan
2,902 IQ
Quote by Arthur Curry
all i can really say is that it's my fav weezer release

It's my favorite too. >.>
Quote by turncoat60%
i wouldnt say that he does nor is the point of the album. also i dont understand how he is braggin in butterfly.

Oh I responding to a post AC deleted.
Arthur Curry
UnBanned
2,268 IQ
they shoulda released songs from the black hole and pinkerton at the same time
turncoat60%
Errday i'm Russellin'
234 IQ
i never listened to the songs from the black hole. is it mostly songs they put on the pinkerton reissue?
due 07
haaan
2,902 IQ
Quote by turncoat60%
i never listened to the songs from the black hole. is it mostly songs they put on the pinkerton reissue?

Yeah that's what the fan-released ones use basically. Here's the tracklist for the one I have.

I dunno if I'd say mostly, but a good number are. Then some normal Pinkerton tracks and the rest are demos presumably pulled from the Rivers alone shit (which I have not heard).
Arthur Curry
UnBanned
2,268 IQ
Quote by turncoat60%

dude it's a concept album. a rock opera about a voyage to space. it is awesome
mr.retard
wumbology
332 IQ
2 questions

what exactly does "i'll bring home the turkey if you bring home the bacon mean?"

and does anyone know anything about this scott & rivers collaboration? i am somewhat familiar with allister. i really enjoy their first 2 albums. i don't have the rest. i know weezer fans are hardcore but i can't find anything on weezer website or weezerpedia.com. the only thing i've found is this wikipedia page.
Making your day worse so tomorrow seems better.
Samdroid
#Cenation
264 IQ
I dunno, I've sorta grown out of Pinkerton as I've gotten older. I still like it and all, but I can't summon the same attitude I had when I enjoyed it most (i.e. bitter as hell). It reminds me of high school too much. I don't think I could ever not love "El Scorcho" though.
getmad24_7
1,302 IQ
Quote by mr.retard
2 questions

what exactly does "i'll bring home the turkey if you bring home the bacon mean?"

and does anyone know anything about this scott & rivers collaboration? i am somewhat familiar with allister. i really enjoy their first 2 albums. i don't have the rest. i know weezer fans are hardcore but i can't find anything on weezer website or weezerpedia.com. the only thing i've found is this wikipedia page.

Scott and Rivers is all in japanese. They have a song called "I Freakin Love My Life". You can find some videos of them playing on Rivers' japanese ustream channel.
Dylan_86
92 IQ
Pinkerton is an amazing album. Frankly, the only way we will get another great Weezer album is if Rivers has a midlife crisis (actually he seems to be now i guess with the crap her writes...Where's my sex? Really?) and lusts after some young Japanese girls again.

If you want an interesting read then check out his essay he wrote while he was at Harvard that is online. Mentions his fondness for asian massage parlours and getting happy endings as a way to deal with being too shy to get girls.

Green album is ****ing great...don't understand why people hate it. Its much better than anything they did after Maladroit except maybe Red album.

I saw Weezer in Japan on the memories tour playing Blue Album one night and Pinkerton the next. Was amazing. They also played a couple of b-sides that had only been played once or twice before at that stage such as "devotion". I'm going to see them again in January in Australia playing the Blue album show.
Tempoe
. . . ∆ . . .
2,511 IQ
Quote by WNxScythe

Me too, but I think that's true with a lot of my all time fav albums
MinterMan22
only smells
763 IQ
Anyone else think of this album as a vicious circle of sorts? In the first song, he's saying how he doesn't like having sex cause he wants to find the love that's been eluding him for so long. The next few songs follow suit and continue that hopelessly lonely vibe until it climaxes at Across the Sea (words and dreams and a million screams of how I need a hand in mine to feel.. Something about that part is so hauntingly beautiful to me) That concludes the first 5 song part of the album. The Good Life kicks off the second part where he finally decides to do something about his circumstances and by Falling for You he has succeeded in doing so (maybe?).. But then we get to Butterfly where he throws away the love he's been searching for in favour of meaningless sex. To me this album is meant to be played on repeat-- it seems so cyclical, it just makes sense to. It's even more interesting when you consider that for the most part, the songs are in order of when they were written.

I've been listening to Pinkerton a lot recently. I've been hurting a bit...
..::fat
lard::..
bradulator
normcore
2,448 IQ
Quote by █▐▌█▐▌
people who can really relate to pinkerton are people i can't really relate to.

I'm glad I can't relate to what you're saying.