Page 1 of 2
I was just sitting here after recommending the Peavey Vypyr Tube 60 for the 50th time, and I was thinking about how I wish they would have been around when I was in high school and bought my Marshall MG for about what they go for used. Then I got to thinking, I wonder what purchases other UG'ers have regretted?

So let's hear it, guys! What are some purchases that you ended up regretting a good bit later?

For me, the MG30DFX is my big regret. I had the chance to buy a Crate V18 about a month before I bought this, but my Mom urged me to wait until later when I had more money, as I bought my Les Paul on that same day. Stupidly, I ended up listening to her after she said she would meet me half-way on whatever I bought if I waited. I came back, and the shop had sold the V18 and had no more in stock, as they weren't being made anymore. Then, I tried a bunch of amps, including a Vox Valvetronix, Roland Cube, Line 6 Spider, and my Marshall MG, and ended up buying the MG for reasons that are beyond my comprehension, not to mention she only paid for about 1/3 to 1/4 of it, instead of the 1/2 I was promised.

My only other regret is the JCA24S that I currently have. After some advice on here, I bought it without trying it with my amp head, beleiving that it would sound similar to a V30-loaded cab, since that's what Soldano uses for his amps. Not the case. I don't really like it's speakers, it's somewhat odd shape (it's awkwardly tall), and the Randall cab I was looking at wouldn't have sounded much better, but it had the Metal Grille I was looking for, because we all know that if you can't bounce a bottle of Jack Daniels off of the front of your cab, then it's useless (Gregs) Really, though, I wish I just would have pulled the trigger on something a little bit more expensive that came with nicer speakers.

What about you guys?
Last edited by Blktiger0 at Nov 15, 2012,
My line 6 spider, I was actually thinking of gettinga peavey vypyr instead but was like "It has plastic fangs, so it must be a stupid choice."

v I also bought one of those.
I was dumb before UG.
One of the third friendliest users
Stratkat's pet

Quote by Momentosis
Void is a wanker that's why

Last edited by FireFromTheVoid at Nov 15, 2012,
For me it has to be the Digitech Metal Master... I wouldn't even use it for a door stop now.
A Boss MT-2, A copy of a Boss MT-2 (yes, I actually once bought a copy of the worst distortion pedal I've ever heard), an EHX Momentary Line Selector because I never use it and then some bass gear I bought when I briefly wanted to play bass, which I sold with some loss only months later. :P
For me, it was buying a fender fm halfstack like 6 years ago. I was using a marshall mg250, and didn't have a clue what a tube amp was. So I decided to "upgrade" to the FM

At the time I thought owning a halfstack was bada$s. But it sounded like $hit.

My ears are so glad to own a tube amp now

EDIT: I should also mention the GNX3000. I bought this the same time as the fender.

God, this thread is bringing back nighmares
Guitars:
PRS Custom 24
Gibson Les Paul 60's Tribute
85' MIJ Strat
97' Snakepit Les Paul
LP Traditional 1960 Zebra
MIJ Tele
MIA Strat

Amps:
EVH 5150iii
Peavey Ultra 112
Jet City JCA50H
Peavey VTM 60
74' Vibro Champ
66' Bassman
Pink Paisley
Last edited by sheldonpardy at Nov 15, 2012,
For, me, it was buying an MG 100 HFX halfstack. Even my Valvestate V65R sounded better (but was not loud enough to be heard over a drummer, hence the "halfstack" purchase). It's not that I hated the sound of my MG at the time, it's just that I wasted so much time on bad tone, when I could have easily afforded a used 5150, Valveking, etc.

With my current rig, I just can't wait to get home and pick up my guitar. It's not so much the fact that I want to play, it's that I just can't wait to hear my rig. This has made me a much better guitar player. I wasn't as passionate about playing until I got a decent rig -- and I know I can still upgrade from here. It took me 14 years of playing to finally reach this epiphany.

The other regret I have, which is kind of along the same note -- is that early on in my playing career I spent a great deal of money on effects pedals. It's not that effects pedals are bad, it's that many of them were just novelties that kept me from focusing on my playing. My effects board now is very minimalistic comparatively; most of them focus on simply enhancing my tone.
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
I've made some stupid gear purchases ("upgrading" to a FM212 from a MG, buying a MG...), but I don't really regret any of them. Playing with medicore probably helped me grow as a player. I remember thinking that my tone sucked because I was a bad player, and that really pushed me to practice and improve. Now that I have decent gear, I probably spend more time tweaking my tone than practicing.

It's not like I would buy this stuff again, or recommend it to anyone else, but I think it helped me learn the limitations of certain gear and appreciate what I have now.
I lost a Vox AC30 once...
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
I lost a Vox AC30 once...

Lost??

Care to elaborate?
Guitars:
PRS Custom 24
Gibson Les Paul 60's Tribute
85' MIJ Strat
97' Snakepit Les Paul
LP Traditional 1960 Zebra
MIJ Tele
MIA Strat

Amps:
EVH 5150iii
Peavey Ultra 112
Jet City JCA50H
Peavey VTM 60
74' Vibro Champ
66' Bassman
Pink Paisley
not quite a purchase regret but i do regret running an MT-2 into a JCM800 for a while.
My Rig:
Maverick F-1, Ibanez RG1527, Schecter Omen 8
Marshall JVM 410H,
Hand built 4x12 w/ V30s
Current board:
PXL LIVE
TU2
WHAMMY IV
MXR M132
MXR M101
TIMMY
NS2
MXR M108
XOTIC EP
TC DREAMSCAPE
DL8
Personally I don't regret buying the MG I had several years ago. They aren't exactly the classic Marshall sound, but there are some good sounds in there for people who are prepared to dial them in properly. It was a good amp for what I needed & it served me well for a few years until I upgraded. Sold it to a mate & he's still happy with it today - still working as a reliable practice amp even though it's over 15 years old.

The purchase I've always regretted was my old Fender MIA Stratocaster. Spent a load of money on it thinking I'd be getting something awesome, whereas I actually found it to be extremely bland and no better than average at everything. It just gathered a load of dust while I stuck with my trusty Telecaster & Les Paul, eventually sold it & was glad to see the back of it.

Gibson LP Traditional, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm > TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Quote by Blktiger0
My only other regret is the JCA24S that I currently have. After some advice on here, I bought it without trying it with my amp head, beleiving that it would sound similar to a V30-loaded cab, since that's what Soldano uses for his amps.
Soldano cabs are actually loaded with Eminence Legends, not V30's, which sound totally different from one another. I'm not sure what the JCA Eminences are based on, but they sound nothing like the V30's or Legend I've owned.

As far as my biggest regret, Digitech GNX3. My dad and I both got it for Christmas to share, and we both tried to like it for a while but eventually realized it was a massive piece of crap.

All the distortion sounds shitty and digital no matter what you do (think of it as glorified Line 6 Spider distortion), the EQ always has this horrendous muddy quality that you can't get rid of, it's loaded with completely useless presets and effects that aren't interesting to anyone else older than 12, and the built in "song studio" is the most pathetic and useless feature ever created.

Every once and a while I'll hook it up and try again with it to get a good sound and it just doesn't work. I've even tried hooking it into the return of my Jet City for a tube power section. Still sounds like shit.

There's also my Krank 1x12 cabinet I regret doing.. I wanted something small that I could stick in a closet to record with and mic up, but for the longest time it made all of my recordings sound honky and shitty. I should've listened to the advice of the guys who were telling me to save for a 2x12.

Seriously, once I got my Whitebox 2x12 with V30's my recordings improved by far. Now all I use my 1x12 for is to hide various sex toys and fetish items from my parents. (don't ask )
my marshall mg100hdfx is ok but that MG 100 HFX suck a$$

mine is a Marshall JVM410H with 1960AV, and 1960BV just about $5500.00
mods 1500.00 I love the amp and I just have two regret
1. I told my wife how mush it was
2. I did not get a bigger bed (Marshall are bed hugs)
Definitely my old MG250DFX. Got it 8-9 years ago in high school. Finally got rid of it earlier this year.
Schecter C-1+ (SH-2 Neck | SH-5 Bridge)
Breedlove C250/CMe-FS
Vox VT20+
I regret wasting my time reading this thread
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7
I don't know how to count canadians, the metric system is hard

Quote by gregs1020
well if lbj pokes his head in here and there's no nuts shit's gonna go doooooooowwwwwwwwwn.

{Pedalboard Thread Native: The Muffin Man}
Quote by sheldonpardy
Lost??

Care to elaborate?

It was playing up and someone who worked for my dad offered to fix it - but my dad ended up sacking him before I got round to getting it back
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Not a godamn thing. It's called research, guys.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard

+1 to this.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
My wife bought me my MG50DFX when I mentioned that I wanted to take up guitar again and although I don't use it for guitar anymore I use the mp3 in and it makes a pretty good backing tracks/monitor amp.

Biggest regret is suggesting Spider amps for 2 of my friends because they wanted flexibility and I wasn't yet familiar with the Vypyr series, but neither of them gigs and they both seem happy with what they have, although they love my various tube amps when they come over to play.

So really, nothing serious.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
I regret joining this site and taking an interest in guitar gear.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by tubetime86

+1

And I regret not researching anything guitar-related before buying my first set-up. When I started guitar, I didn't know there were any brands other than Gibson/Epiphone and Fender. Yeah, I was that naive and clueless. After buying my Les Paul (which wasn't a terrible purchase), I got a Fender G-DEC to go with it (that was a bad idea).

Had I done more research, I probably would have paid more attention to what kinds of guitars I was experimenting with, and would have bought a better amp.
PRS SE CU22 | PRS SE CU24 | Takamine EG463SC
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster | Rectifier 212
Pitchblack+ | Bad Monkey | FAB Chorus | NOVA Delay
Dean Vendetta
Vypyr 15 (shoulda got a used 30)
Boss MT-2
Ibanez RG120
Peavey Valveking 212
LTD V-50

Stupid waste of money. I.stead of buying that crap I could have had 2 more LTD Deluxes or 1 and a decent head.

This also emphasizes how much money you can spend on crappy gear when you don't go used. I spent over 1K on that crap, and that was *with* the Boss and the Valveking being used.

I discovered UG somewhere between the RG120 and the Valveking.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Last edited by Offworld92 at Nov 15, 2012,
buying a jet city picovalve. i cant give the damn thing away so its mod time for it
selling my b52at100 head after i got it fixed but couldnt get sounds out of it that i liked. so i sold it even when u guys told me not to.

the big one.
getting mad and refusing to listen to you guys when you were telling me that my spider 2 halfstack was trash and that it sounded like hot garbage

im so glad i have come to my senses.
Live Rig
Michael Kelly Custom Shop Plum Telecaster
Michael Kelly Custom Shop Plum Patriot

EVH 5153 50w
Jet City 2x12
Custom Board

It is NOT trash metal it is tHrash metal...get it right
Charvel Desolation DX-1.
It was a real piece of crap and got sent right back.

Oh and also a Boss GT-6, used it about 3 times and decided it was total shit. Keep meaning to sell it on but keep forgetting about it.
Quote by tubetime86

I regret posting this.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
My early dalliance with tube amps. I experimented with a Blackstar HT, Bugera V22, Peavey Valve King, Egnater Tweaker and Fender Super-Sonic 22 before finally finding "my" sound - in a solid state Peavey Special 112. I'd written off solid state because I was new to guitar and had many friends who'd been playing for years - some of whom even recorded professionally - and they all pushed me into tube gear.

The problem is, while my friends want to sound like this, I prefer this instead - and I couldn't get my preferred sound until I tried out that old Peavey. (Coincidentally, that guitarist now plays a solid state Peavey as well).

Of course, there's the matter of that old Peavey being damn near 70 lbs, but that's my only other regret. Moral of the story? Trust your ears. For most of you, that will mean tube amps, but for the rest of you, don't think for one second that your rig is inferior just because it's transistor-driven.
Quote by Cathbard

+1
I have enjoyed all of my gear. Like everyone here at the beginning it was mediocre gear, but I felt like a rockstar playing through that 25 watt Dean amp when I was a kid.

I regret selling some pieces of gear over the years
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I had an ibanez gio as my first guitar and only guitar up until a couple months ago, although i'm not sure i regret is as although now i hate it and never play it, it served a purpose when i knew no better.
However the big mistake was when i went out to buy what I thought was my first "proper" amp, and i came back with a 75watt spider, it was fine for a couple weeks then i realised it had no good sounds and absolutely everything sounded crap, so then i went and wasted £45 on an od3, thinking i'd be able to get a nicer overdrive, which was a total waste as ss amps hate pedals.

Luckily now I've got an amazing ac30 and a fender telecaster ja-90 and the sounds are amazing, tubes made so much difference, but i suppose having shitty gear has allowed me to appreciate how amazing my new gear really does sound.
Quote by Cathbard

+1
I've had some ridiculously shoddy gear over the few years I have been playing guitar, but that's the journey one takes to try to find their own sound. And it's also made me a more discerning customer.
Right now, I'm really stoked with the gear I have - although I probs should get my WH-10 modded and I've had GAS to get an Orange Dark Terror and a 4x12...but that'll make me broke
Probably my fender Champ. I bought it cheap. And used the hell out of it. But looking back, I bought it because I thought my DSL was broken, when in reality, I had a broken speaker cable. Thats being a dumb ass for ya. But I learned and lived.

Though I did crank that champ all the time. Then boosted it with an overdrive. It sounded fairly good. The speaker sucked but when I hooked it up to my 4x12 it wasnt to shabby. Needs new tubes though. Haha
Damn, it seems like this is turning into "The People who bought MG's and Spiders"

At least now we'll have somewhere to point the people that come on and say "Why does X piece of gear get so much hate?" or that argue that the Spider they have is amazing, etc.

Quote by KailM
It's not that I hated the sound of my MG at the time, it's just that I wasted so much time on bad tone, when I could have easily afforded a used 5150, Valveking, etc.

With my current rig, I just can't wait to get home and pick up my guitar. It's not so much the fact that I want to play, it's that I just can't wait to hear my rig. This has made me a much better guitar player.

That was my main regret - that I could have spent that money on something that would have suited me much better and lasted longer for me.

I'm the same way

It just makes me sad that I hardly get a chance to play through my rig at home right now, due to my living situation

Quote by zl1288

It's not like I would buy this stuff again, or recommend it to anyone else, but I think it helped me learn the limitations of certain gear and appreciate what I have now.

I can appreciate this point of view. I do have the knowledge of how to get a decent sound out of an MG to help out other poor suckers who have bought them. My MG also led me to getting my TL-2, which I still use today.

Quote by steven seagull
It was playing up and someone who worked for my dad offered to fix it - but my dad ended up sacking him before I got round to getting it back

That freaking sucks!

Quote by Cathbard

Well, Mr. I don't make mistakes, I have yet to meet a 12 year old that is more into research and less into whatever looks cool and is cheap. I don't beleive for a second that every member of this forum hasn't made a gear purchase that they didn't like. Even when making informed decisions by getting advice from people that know what they're talking about (See:My JCA24S purchase) you can still end up with something that isn't what you want.

Quote by Robbgnarly
+1
I have enjoyed all of my gear. Like everyone here at the beginning it was mediocre gear, but I felt like a rockstar playing through that 25 watt Dean amp when I was a kid.

I don't think anyone should ever regret their first steup. You have to start somewhere, and if it weren't for that first amp and guitar, you wouldn't be sitting here now. I'll never regret my Squier Strat and Squier Frontman clone, nor the Frontman 15 I was given when that amp broke. Without those, I probably would have quit guitar.
Last edited by Blktiger0 at Nov 15, 2012,
I regret nothing.

NOTHING!!!!!

Yes I'm trying to convince myself mostly.
Why don't they make mouse flavored cat food?
I only regret getting rid of my Mesa F30. Otherwise, no gear I ever bought didn't serve its purpose. Sure, I bought a squire 10 watt amp, and sure it sucked. I also had no idea what I wanted in the electric guitar world, so it served its purpose.

Now that I think about it, I regret getting rid of my crate gx65. It went to a good home though, so I guess that wasn't too bad. (btw, those amps were basically the vh140c preamp into a smaller mono power amp)
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Quote by harrisonatsix
so then i went and wasted £45 on an od3, thinking i'd be able to get a nicer overdrive, which was a total waste as ss amps hate pedals.

Hm?
Quote by Kevin Saale
(btw, those amps were basically the vh140c preamp into a smaller mono power amp)

Are all of the GX amps (heads) like that? I may keep an eye out for one if so.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X

Make sure its got the old block logo. But I don't know that they are all like that. I have an older than the gx65, g40C XL and it sounds pretty similar, though it does have 2 8 inch speakers so it isn't exact. They are dirt cheap though and definitely pretty raw sounding. Worth it to snag one. If you find one of the stereo chorus models the chorus actually sounds pretty good.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Years ago I had a really nice yamaha acoustic. I was starting to play with other musicians and drummers(haha) so I bought an ovation electric acoustic and traded the Yamaha for a couch. Less than a month later I was already missing the Yamaha and not even using the ovation. After 13 years, just a few days ago, I finally bought an acoustic (a very sexy Hohner HW-60) that I like as much as I liked that Yamaha.
Buying a 30 watt Spider III, when for the same price I could have had an Epiphone tube amp (which was re-badged as a Legacy). I didn't want to be seen playing through a Legacy, so I went with the Line 6. Makes sense, right?
I've played through a couple of the Epiphone amps recently, and to be honest I don't particularly like how they sound, but it still would have been such an improvement on my sucky Line 6, which I had to put up with until this year.

I think that in the end, everyone's going to regret the gear they bought early on. Part of learning guitar is learning what gear you like, what tone you want, so maybe it wasn't really such a bad decision for us all to get an amp that could do a wide range of sounds averagely before we spent serious money on something that could do a narrower range of sounds a lot better. But can you imagine what'd be like to buy a beginner's rig with the knowledge you now hold..
Fender American Special Telecaster w/ Bigsby
Fender MIM Jaguar
Digitech Whammy-->Korg Pitchblack Poly-->Dunlop Cry Baby-->Danelectro Pastrami Overdrive-->EHX Big Muff Pi-->Joyo Digital Delay
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe III Red October Edition
Quote by NakedInTheRain
buying a rockbox boiling point.

I have only heard good things about this box. Why didnt you like it?
Page 1 of 2