Hey Guys,

Have any of you seen some of the sustainable guitars? I don't have links for all of them, but being from San Francisco I'm pretty stoked on this idea.

I think the bamboo idea is pretty awesome

http://www.gizmag.com/eco-friendly-guitars/11918/

What do you guys think? Are they going to last? Will anybody actually buy these things? I sure hope so.
Quote by punchymonkey

What do you guys think? Are they going to last? Will anybody actually buy these things? I sure hope so.

1. I'll stick to mahogany bodies.
2. Depends.
3. If they're affordable and/or sound good.
Quote by punchymonkey

What do you guys think?

I'll stick with what i already know i like thank you very much.
Quote by punchymonkey

Are they going to last?

They will very likely become popular in the future.
Quote by punchymonkey

Will anybody actually buy these things? I sure hope so.

If there was no other option, yes. But i have a more traditionalist approach to guitars so it'll take some convincing to swing me.
Quote by Axelfox
Please understand how little we as a community care
Quote by whoomit
thought this was going 2 b about sustaniacs

+1
I Have An Avant Garde Fetish....
Quote by Gantz92
Im in no way an amateur. I masturbate in public all the time.
Quote by Nelsean
I can get an erection just by looking at a plastic cup, or a river.
Quote by Obsceneairwaves
Don't worry, rape will always find a back way in
If they can make them look cool then sure.

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
I think it's great that manefactures try to use substainable materials instead of specific kinds of wood that may or may not become endangered within the next decades.

Sure, some might think that it's absurd to make a guitars body out of anything but wood, but I view it as the same mentality when the car industry started using aluminum instead of steel.

Also, The Flaxwood Liekki looks delicious!

(Invalid img)

Gear:

Fender American Hand Stained stratocaster
Squier J Mascis Jazzmaster

Squier Vista Venus

Pro co Rat 2
Fulltone OCD
Boss DD7
Akai Headrush E2
EHX NYC Big Muff

Vox AC30cc1
I love the amount of acrylic lacquer on those 'sustainable' guitars.

Quote by EyeNon15
Thats too bad, I was under the impression I was arguing something profound

1 3 5 R
2 4 6
Last edited by JustRooster at Nov 16, 2012,
Yeah I'd be well up for getting them in my collection.

RainSong guitars are also pretty awesome, though I'll only give them half a mention as the susatainability of carbon/graphite is a little sketchy and I don't know enough of the details to say it's eco friendly.
If it sounds good and doesn't cost you a rib, I'm all for it. Aesthetics is something the hipsters can worry about, it's all in the sound for me.
Quote by NothingRocks
1. I'll stick to mahogany bodies.
2. Depends.
3. If they're affordable and/or sound good.

+1

Although, really...pretty sure that once you sand them down and remove all the electronics, any guitar becomes environmentally sustainable. That said, I never got the point of this environmental bullshit.
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
That said, I never got the point of this environmental bullshit.

The reason behind these guitars existing has absolutely nothing to do with sustainable materials, it's just clever marketing. A company has to make money somehow, why not slap 'sustainable' on it (when acrylic lacquer is totally not sustainable ) and see if people buy into it?

Edit: dem boobies
Quote by Axelfox
Please understand how little we as a community care
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
That said, I never got the point of this environmental bullshit.

Wood doesn't grow on trees you know.

But seriously the demand for resources increases every day, it helps to conserve.

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
If they sound and feel good then I don't see why not, but there are always going to be traditionalists regardless. I'd rather have a good Telecaster, Gibson flying V or something though
The time has come for all to see

The men behind the curtain cast at you disease

Yours Sincerely
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
The reason behind these guitars existing has absolutely nothing to do with sustainable materials, it's just clever marketing. A company has to make money somehow, why not slap 'sustainable' on it (when acrylic lacquer is totally not sustainable ) and see if people buy into it?

Edit: dem boobies

absolutely
Soooo....are these materials available for purchase somewhere?
6 words: Gibson Custom Shop Les Paul Standard

or...

any one of these high end Dimebag guitars.
Quote by laid-to-waste
look nigga, if you're chillin with 5 bros and 2 hos, you're gonna wanna pay attention to all of em equally. not moon over the hos forever and laugh at every shitty thing they say and just stare at them all night, like some of my mates do.
Quote by Fishybones
I think it's great that manefactures try to use substainable materials instead of specific kinds of wood that may or may not become endangered within the next decades.

Sure, some might think that it's absurd to make a guitars body out of anything but wood, but I view it as the same mentality when the car industry started using aluminum instead of steel.

Also, The Flaxwood Liekki looks delicious!

(Invalid img)

"Hey let's make an awesome looking guitar and give it the ugliest finish ever!"

Judging by your post I'm just gonna guess you're unfamiliar with ECG(?). Probably not sustainable (not 100% sure what qualifies as such), but also not wood.
http://www.electricalguitarcompany.com/
BOOM-SHAKALAKALAKA-BOOM-SHAKALAKUNGA
i'm a close-minded guitarist who likes the classic looking designs like a telecaster or es-335 or something..

the other types of newer guitars around seem ugly to me and generally aren't for what i play anyway
..::fat
lard::..
you can take environmental actions in other aspects and activities in your life. Wood is essential for a guitar.
Quote by Night
wtf is a selfie? is that like, touching yourself or something?
Quote by Wiegenlied
you can take environmental actions in other aspects and activities in your life. Wood is essential for a guitar.

Still, you can be a dick about it further propelling the practice of deforestation or at least try to respect the enviroment, which is enabling you to make a living

The Taylor thing where he discovered that they were throwing away all non-black ebony for fretboards and decided to say 'screw the market only wanting black ebony, we're going to use everything' is pretty cool

http://www.taylorguitars.com/about/sustainable-ebony
Last edited by seljer at Nov 19, 2012,
Sorry I'll take my exotic woods any day over this. It's nice that they are thinking about the environment but I just don't want my guitars made out of plastic.
If it sounds good then I don't think I'd care.
Schecter C-1+ (SH-2 Neck | SH-5 Bridge)
Breedlove C250/CMe-FS
Vox VT20+
Hi Forum Members, I make a bamboo-bodied semi-acoustic electric with advanced passive elecs that sounds remarkable. The secret is in designing to the material and my lightweight composite body is light but extremely strong. The result is extended harmonics with tremendous low end focus. Check it out at [forbidden link]