TubeBlues
588 IQ
I have a 2003 American Deluxe Stratocaster HSS with SCN pickups, maple fretboard.
I play with a H&K tube amplifier.

I find my pickups a bit dull, I was wondering if I should get dimarzio area pickups or a set of Fender Custom Shop 69's.

I'm looking for a SRV type of tone. (not so much the cleans, more the overdriven tones).
mattrusso
615 IQ
I'm pretty sure SRV played Fender Texas Specials. I have a set of CS '69s in my MIM Strat, and while I really like the way they sound, they're not ideal for an SRV type tone.
Axe Murderer
1,428 IQ
Texas Specials a pretty hot. I had a set in a 70s reissue guitar and LOVED them.
zl1288
197 IQ
I have a set of texas specials in my MIM, definitely a go to for SRV tones. Middle pickup seems a lot hotter/beefier than other sets, which makes sense since SRV used it alot.

Just be aware, these can be annoyingly hot at times and they're pretty noisy. It's gonna be a pretty major change from a HSS american deluxe.
TubeBlues
588 IQ
That's the thing, I already had the Texas Specials with a Standard maple neck stratocaster, and I found that it did not sounded good with a maple fretboard.
Axe Murderer
1,428 IQ
Quote by TubeBlues
That's the thing, I already had the Texas Specials with a Standard maple neck stratocaster, and I found that it did not sounded good with a maple fretboard.

Seriously??? Im not trying to be a dick, but...seriously???

The wood of the board doesnt affect the tone THAT drastically. Its more of a feel and look preference. And there are these things called TONE knobs that can be adjusted.

My 70's reissue had a maple board with the TS pups and it sounded great. Perhaps you just had an overall crap guitar?