Page 1 of 3
The Madcap
Classical Guitarist
9,780 IQ
What do you think about parents who will supply and allow their underage children (and often their friends)with alcohol and sometimes drugs? Keep in mind we're talking kids who are like 16-20. If it was like 8-year-old kids I think we could all agree that would be f*cked up.

I remember at my high school, Junior or Senior year, one guy threw a party, and his mom was there and bought a bunch of alcohol for the kids to drink. Long story short, she got arrested and I remember them showing her mugshot on the news.

I also once had a friend who had parents who'd smoke weed every night, and on occasion they'd to it together. He was allowed to basically do anything he wanted (alcohol, weed, acid, etc.). He actually ended up alright and is pretty responsible, but I know his older brother struggled with drug problems and had to sober up.

I think if a parent lets their kid have a beer when he's in his late-teens, that is generally okay. But I think it's wrong for them to buy alcohol for their kid's friends (unless they know his parents would be okay with it). I remember when I was in high school, a guy asked me for my urine because his mom was gonna have him drug tested. I did it, but in retrospect, I think I was in the wrong, as it's not like it was a school drug test or something, and it's not my place to interfere with how his mother raises him.
Trowzaa
TwoWorldWars&OneWorldCup
731 IQ
I really don't care. My parents did it for me.
Being 20 and having to have your parents supply your booze is absolutely hilarious though. Well done America.
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

Nelshizzle
Banned
2,790 IQ
My parents never smoked chronic with me until my adult years, but they were cool with the idea of freedom and not trying to hold me down. Guidance and punishments did exist for severe things I did as a youngster, but overall they taught me responsibility and how to go about life without being totally unaware of how life uppercuts you in the jaw.

I know i'm going to be the same way with my children.

My parents never bought me beer though. Shit I lived in a neighborhood where the store owners didnt give a shit about 21+ laws.
Burgery
crack hitler
3,179 IQ
they're pretty cool

parents
Quote by JamSessionFreak
lots of really smart stuff
adamgur96
Not caring no more
865 IQ
Quote by Nelsean
they were cool with the idea of freedom and not trying to hold me down. Guidance and punishments did exist for severe things I did as a youngster, but overall they taught me responsibility and how to go about life without being totally unaware of how life uppercuts you in the jaw.

This.
I Have An Avant Garde Fetish....
Quote by Gantz92
Im in no way an amateur. I masturbate in public all the time.
Quote by Nelsean
I can get an erection just by looking at a plastic cup, or a river.
Quote by Obsceneairwaves
Don't worry, rape will always find a back way in
metal4eva_22
PonyFan #376121
890 IQ
When I was 16 my mom let me have a drink or two when she was drinking with the rest of the family. My mom is really close with her side of the family and we would often go out to my aunt's house for parties. When I was younger I would hang around with my cousins and all the other kids there, but when I got older the rest of the family would offer me alcohol despite only being in my teens. I think it was a good experience. It removed all the mystery around alcohol. And in highschool, where kids often brag about drinking to make themselves look super cool, I would just laugh at them.
-The Crimson Fucker, aka PonyFan #376121
Bob_Sacamano
UG Board King
238 IQ
I think if they were good parents and raised responsible children who can do those things with self-control in their late teens then they are indeed cool parents. It really shouldn't be done for groups they don't know though.
_KurtCobain_77
All Praise Lord Emery
452 IQ
Quote by Nelsean
They were cool with the idea of freedom and not trying to hold me down. Guidance and punishments did exist for severe things I did as a youngster, but overall they taught me responsibility and how to go about life without being totally unaware of how life uppercuts you in the jaw.

+1

I plan to let my kid drink with me in his/her teens. Like metal4eva said, it takes away the mystery of alcohol as well as allowing them to learn their limits and understanding how to drink responsibly (don't get trashed when you have responsibilities the next day, etc).
TO ALL MY KILLERS AND MY HUNDRED DOLLAR BILLERS...
...TO EMO KIDS THAT GOT TOO MANY FEELINGS
ErikLensherr
MGTOW
1,633 IQ
Quote by Ichikurosaki
that's a very odd definition of cool

When I was young my mom bought me pocky and naruto on dvd and it was very kawaii.
Quote by EpiExplorer
I swear this guy in particular writes for the telegraph or some shit.

Quote by Rossenrot
I was in NYC for all of about 5 minutes until I was called a cracker and called out to fight someone.
Hydra150
cutebutt mcsexyface
1,793 IQ
Quote by The Madcap
Keep in mind we're talking kids who are like 16-20.

20 year olds aren't kids.
But boys will be boys and girls have those eyes
that'll cut you to ribbons, sometimes
and all you can do is just wait by the moon
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
So-Cal
Banned
264 IQ
My parents were pretty cool in that they let me drink with them when i was in my teens. If I ever have kids I'd rather they drink and drugs with me rather than go out and do it in a dangerous environment.
Quote by ErikLensherr
When I was young my mom bought me pocky and naruto on dvd and it was very kawaii.

You show them autists
Last edited by So-Cal at Nov 16, 2012,
Ichikurosaki
tri1 tri2 tri3 tri4
158 IQ
Quote by ErikLensherr

O_O
ur mum is zettai KAKKOIII sugoi O_o_o!!1/ ,1 <£££££33
Atomic_Assault
53 IQ
My parents were okay with me drinking from about 15. I'd been having a the odd beer with my Dad a full year before I'd start getting seriously messy with mates and stuff. It meant that when I did go out, I had a reasonable idea with how I'd cope with different amounts of booze. I was aware of my limits, so to speak, which was a lot better than a lot of my friends could say.
In the days of darkness men feared not the sword and the lance
Nor did he fear the beast of fire... He feared...
THE AXEMAN!!

The Earth is covered in ash and our lungs have filled with worms...
Nick92Slayer
Fully qualified wasteman
94 IQ
My parents offered me a bottle or two of beer when I was 14 onwards on occasion. I don't really see a problem with it as long as parents keep on top of it, and raise their son/daughter responsibly.

Let them know its their house and rules, and that drink can **** you up.
Shit like encouraging it seems wrong though

Edit: as for underage supplying, I don't think its that bad if a parent approaches his 16 year old son and says "I know you're having a few friends around tonight and you want something to drink, I'll get you all a few beers"
The time has come for all to see

The men behind the curtain cast at you disease

Yours Sincerely
Last edited by Nick92Slayer at Nov 16, 2012,
Dory77
Zzzzzzap!
44 IQ
My parents occasionally bought me/my friends booze for parties, mostly so they knew what/how much people could drink. There were times with my older brothers where they made it BYO for people and everyone showed up with a case and shit got real messy. So in a way, I think it's better for parents to buy their kids booze because then they know what they're drinking, rather then letting them buy shitloads of booze with their friends and getting totally maggot.
"People like Coldplay and voted for the Nazis; you can't trust people."
Wisthekiller
UG's Nigel Tufnel
1,897 IQ
My parents didn't care as long as they knew where I was, if I was safe, and what I was doing (in terms of drugs and alcohol). They bought it for me once or twice, but I never cared for beer, only liquor (Crown and Jager were my favorite).
Weaponized
1,756 IQ
My parents would never be okay with me using drugs/drinking beer. I wouldn't let my kid drink or anything either until I thought he was done growing.
Hydra150
cutebutt mcsexyface
1,793 IQ
^You're eighteen. Go get drunk, and come home and shout at your parents for oppressing you.
eGraham
Rattle That Lock
1,539 IQ
As a parent I think I would look down upon drug use with my kids.

I'd like to be able to say I'm cool with it, but I know in the event I probably wouldn't be.
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

~ A Rolling Potato Gathers No Moss ~
Weaponized
1,756 IQ
Quote by Hydra150
^You're eighteen. Go get drunk, and come home and shout at your parents for oppressing you.
I do get drunk and stuff but I just don't come home those days lol.

I'm not gonna be so naive with my kids.
sashki
6,586 IQ
My parents let me do whatever I want because they know I'm really boring and wouldn't do anything exciting or mildly dangerous.

If I got completely hammered and sickled and had to get my stomach pumped at 3AM, they'd probably just be happy that I left the house for once.
AdamDK
Meh.
2,296 IQ
When I was younger my parents would sometimes get me a can or two to drink in the house with them on a weekend if they had beer in, then at 16ish if I was drinking with friends at their house they'd usually get me some beer (limited 4 - 6 cans usually). At family parties as well people would sometimes give me alcohol when I was a teenager.

I don't see the problem with parents doing that. It teaches them how to drink responsibly and to learn their limits. I'd like to think when I'm a parent I'd do the same. I imagine I wouldn't be so happy with drugs, but a little bit of alcohol now and then doesn't hurt.

The 21 limit in America seems pretty silly. I'd feel embarrassed if at 20 I would have to get other people to buy booze for me. Ridiculous.
Seref
Gob****e
688 IQ
My parents (mom, specifically) used to shame me for not wanting to drink when I was younger.
due 07
haaan
2,902 IQ
Quote by Seref
My parents (mom, specifically) used to shame me for not wanting to drink when I was younger.

wtf...
eGraham
Rattle That Lock
1,539 IQ
Quote by Seref

Yea that's kind of odd lol. My mom wouldn't have cared much, unless I was being stupid about it, but she never actively encouraged me to do it.
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

Danjo's Guitar
UG's Math/Physics Major
995 IQ
I think letting your kid have a beer or something when they're 15-17 or whatever is cool, but not more than that. My parents let me have wine, but they would definitely never let me have more than like a single beer. (Not to say I haven't had more, but not with them.) And my they definitely wouldn't be cool with me smoking, but I think I probably dislike smoking more than they do. Actually I don't really enjoy drinking either...

I guess there's a lot of things people could do and still be responsible, but most of the time parents who are super open with that stuff seem pretty terrible. I don't get why people do drugs to escape from their drug addicted parents though. That one never made much sense.
sashki
6,586 IQ
Quote by eGraham
Yea that's kind of odd lol. My mom wouldn't have cared much, unless I was being stupid about it, but she never actively encouraged me to do it.

My dad and grandmother encourage it. They don't force it, but they will insist that I give it a try. Maybe they perceive not drinking as unmanly, given that they grew up in the Soviet Union.
BlitzkriegAir
Attack!
490 IQ
I remember my parents giving me a bottlecap of brandy when i was like 4. Alcohol was never a mystery in my house, my parents encouraged drinking a glass of wine at dinner. I never turned into a big drinker because I was aware of it. Drugs on the other hand they are not cool with. I have smoked with other peoples parents and its bizarre. If they are aware of the dangers and if they feel their child can handle it, then im all for it.
eGraham
Rattle That Lock
1,539 IQ
Quote by sashki
My dad and grandmother encourage it. They don't force it, but they will insist that I give it a try. Maybe they perceive not drinking as unmanly, given that they grew up in the Soviet Union.

In Soviet Russia the bar... well, it eats you.

Two references in one. +5 internet
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

TunerAddict
Real Ass Nigga
1,184 IQ
Parents that supply their children with illegal substances should have their children taken from them.
Hydra150
cutebutt mcsexyface
1,793 IQ
Quote by TunerAddict
Parents that supply their children with illegal substances should have their children taken from them.

Alcohol is legal. I agree though, illegal drugs are bad for kids.
Trowzaa
TwoWorldWars&OneWorldCup
731 IQ
Quote by TunerAddict

Your kids are gonna despise you.
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

TunerAddict
Real Ass Nigga
1,184 IQ
Quote by Trowzaa

Who gives a shit?

I'm not a pathetic wanker that is so concerned with being his kid's friend that he is a shit parent.
Hydra150
cutebutt mcsexyface
1,793 IQ
Quote by Trowzaa

I don't know of any illegal drugs that a parent could give to a child which aren't harmful and negligent on the part of the parent, so
FireFromTheVoid
Strange Juice
96 IQ
I`ve known two sets of parents kinda like that, one would give her daughter and her friends (me) drugs, and ones that were open about doing drugs but were very against their daughter doing drugs.

First one always seemed like she thought she was still in highschool and we were her friends, never thought she was cool.

Second ones I really liked, and were good parents. I don`t really have anything bad to say about them.
One of the third friendliest users
Stratkat's pet

Quote by FireFromTheVoid
I'll come out 3 years after the end of the world

Last edited by FireFromTheVoid at Nov 16, 2012,
Metallicuh
PonyFan #1305968
1,312 IQ
My parents aren't okay with any of that stuff, but my friends mom supplies and smokes weed and spice with her 14 year old son and daughter. I've even smoked with their parents

I think it actually makes their relationship closer though. There is less lieing, deceiving and secrets and everyone can be open with each other. They also have another son who is like 21 or so and he turned out fine and responsible.
Quote by kaptkegan
Don't think I've ever been sigged.

I pretty much never leave the drug thread anymore.
Last edited by Metallicuh at Nov 16, 2012,
macaroni
UG's Colourblind Guy
750 IQ
My parents let me have small amounts of beer when I was 14ish, very rarely did I drink more than a gulp though. My mum knows I smoke weed and she doesn't care, infact she wants to try some. My dad saw my bag of weed and didn't say anything to me so I guess he's ok as well.
Sincerely,
Shitstirrer