AJScott
1,383 IQ
Hey guys

I don't own a really good bass amp which I can mic up or DI, so I was wondering what do you think it's the best bass plugin/VST. I want it to fit well with high gain guitar tones, heavy metal/metalcore/post hardcore stuff. I have a crappy old bass which I've had EMG's put in, so I'm wondering what the next step from here is.

I have everything else sorted, I'm looking for something cheap/free but if a plugin has a free trial and is really good I'll gladly buy it. Needs to work with Reaper.

Any ideas where to look? I have no clue on bass plugins.
jof1029
GO HOKIES!
2,175 IQ
bass doesnt always need an amp sim or whatever. depending on what you are doing, compression and some EQ might be all it needs. if i do use anything more than that, its typically the tse bod mentioned above. you can do a lot with just compression and EQ though.
lockwolf
Recording's AdBot/Dick
1,422 IQ
Quote by jof1029
bass doesnt always need an amp sim or whatever. depending on what you are doing, compression and some EQ might be all it needs. if i do use anything more than that, its typically the tse bod mentioned above. you can do a lot with just compression and EQ though.

Pretty much this. Run it through an LA-2A clone & EQ to taste.
Derpy Derp Derp Herp Derp
Odirunn
Hi, I'm Adam
839 IQ
Ampeg SVX is killer if you're after those classic ampeg sounds and are willing to spend a bit ($99). However, as everyone has said, it's really easy to just record and process a DI. TSE BOD is also awesome if your DI doesn't sound how you'd like it to.
Let's party.
DisarmGoliath
Disarms Goliaths
1,391 IQ
Can't remember where I got it (think it was from the Sneap forum on Ultimate Metal) but I have some impulse responses for bass somewhere, will upload it if anyone wants it?

Edit: I have IR's of the following...

Ampeg SVT, Ampeg SVT 8x10, Eden 4x10 & an SWR 15"

I quite like using the SVT and the 15" on bass DI's.
Hey, look. Sigs are back.
FireHawk
All Hail Ze Llama!
728 IQ
All I ever run is BOD -> EQ -> compression.

BOD mainly for distortion. Sometimes I throw in fuzz before BOD then use BOD to boost bass freqs back up.
AJScott
1,383 IQ
Thanks guys for the help, think I'll just have a try at plugging it straight in and just using some eq and compression, never tried it with bass (generally use to recording acoustics and vocals).

I'll also give BOD a try