Page 1 of 2
Acou97
20 IQ
So i hear do that the universe is expanding into new area, but how can it be possible

if the universe is expanding whats it expanding into? does this mean it has an end? but if it has an end whats on the other side? or how could there even be another side?
and if it doesn't have an end how can anything go on for ever? and then if it doesn't end how can it expanding?

told my gf this and she told me to stop getting stoned and focus on life haha
jakesmellspoo
turndiningbackintoeating
170 IQ
the other side of darkness?
mugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmug
Dreadnought
Oceanic Mountainman
481 IQ
Universe expanding indeed
But we little know until tried how much of the uncontrollable there is in us, urging across glaciers and torrents, and up dangerous heights, let the judgment forbid as it may.
Neo Evil11
Feminist
71 IQ
It's the universe that's expending, there's no "whereinto". The universe is all there is, it's just getting larger.
Quote by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ
Obsceneairwaves
UG Member
21 IQ
the universe is expanding.

the real question is whether it will keep expanding or start to contract
It's over simplified, So what!

Quote by eGraham
I'm going to be on top of what is called a knob
Quote by theguitarist
Big ones can be fun in some ways but generally, they are a pain in the ass.
Quote by Wolfinator-x
I don't know what is going on in this thread or why I have an erection.
adamgur96
Not caring no more
668 IQ
Quote by Obsceneairwaves
the universe is expanding.

the real question is whether it will keep expanding or start to contract

yep, i see you've also been watching "the universe" show
I Have An Avant Garde Fetish....
Quote by Gantz92
Im in no way an amateur. I masturbate in public all the time.
Quote by Nelsean
I can get an erection just by looking at a plastic cup, or a river.
Quote by Obsceneairwaves
Don't worry, rape will always find a back way in
Rocketface2112
Face of rockery
20 IQ
probably best to listen to your girlfriend.

the universe is everything so everything is expanding.why cant the universe expand its self?huh... like the boss of a huge corporation who has billions of dollars eventually finds new ways to improve the business. like Mcdicks, they are always coming out with new idea for shit.
Very Orange CARVIN DC 700
PRS SE Custom - crunch lab&PAF pro
Ibanez GRX40 - modified
Peavey Valveking 112 w/ 2x12 cab

Originally Posted by Shirate
The guitar, the only beautiful female that looks better with the top ON haha

Transformice
Dirge Humani
Tyler
30 IQ
This is a poor analogy, but listen to this:

Imagine that the universe is an area on the surface of a balloon. Then blow up that balloon. The area that encompasses the universe has expanded to an observer within the universe, without actually taking over any area outside of the universe. (Ignoring the fact that there is no such thing as outside the universe)

That is one way I always try to explain it, and it seems to help people understand.
Quote by Hydra150
I tried to open the kitchen door and accidentally turned the light off instead

now googling "how to pasta"
Bob_Sacamano
UG Board King
10 IQ
Quote by adamgur96
yep, i see you've also been watching "the universe" show

I wish that was on Netflix. During the summer I went through a phase of falling asleep to that every night, was so relaxing and interesting.
adamgur96
Not caring no more
668 IQ
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
I wish that was on Netflix. During the summer I went through a phase of falling asleep to that every night, was so relaxing and interesting.

You can watch full episodes on youtube
Quote by Gantz92
Quote by Nelsean
Quote by Obsceneairwaves
Nelshizzle
Banned
170 IQ
The universe is infinitely expanding and mind boggling. Also i'm sure your girl is going to leave you.
eGraham
Rattle That Lock
70 IQ
Quote by Nelsean
The universe is infinitely expanding and mind boggling. Also i'm sure your girl is going to leave you.

Einstein said there were two truths in the universe: both of these.

(Paraphrased, of course)
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

~ A Rolling Potato Gathers No Moss ~
Acou97
20 IQ
the way i see it if something is expanding it has to has a limited size, or an "end" somewhere, if its already limitless or endless how could it expand?
Lord_Doku
ancient bass
242 IQ
Quote by eGraham
Einstein said there were two truths in the universe: both of these.

(Paraphrased, of course)

"There are only two things infinite: the universe, and human stupidity......and im not so sure about the former."

Is that the quote you're looking for ?

EDIT: fixed for damn accuracy, thanks rickyj
Last edited by Lord_Doku at Nov 17, 2012,
eGraham
Rattle That Lock
70 IQ
Yes, that's why I said paraphrased
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

Lord_Doku
ancient bass
242 IQ
Quote by eGraham
Yes, that's why I said paraphrased

Then atleast be semi-accurate :P

(slow brain only just realized the context, proving the quote. lol)
rickyj
Unregistered user
110 IQ
Quote by Lord_Doku
There are only two things infinite: the universe, and human stupidity...

...and im not so sure about the former."

Is that the quote you're looking for ?

fix'd

the universe expanding faster than anything can move is a reasonable explanation for the 'end of the universe' thing.

also, multiverse theory.
Last edited by rickyj at Nov 17, 2012,
SamWhiteBASS
80 IQ
I think the problem is presuming the universe has to have something to expand into. Realistically we dont really understand the universe and seen as the universe is 'everything that there is' if it is expanding, its either expanding into is self, or in some kind of bizarre way creating space to expand into... Its an odd thought but it does kind of make sense.

The universe started from the big bang (I presume we all agree?) and its expanding from the singularity where it started, there's a theory that eventually the force from the singularity will be out weighed by gravity and the universe will start to sort of collapse in on its self and eventually will all come back to the singularity. (A point of infinite mass and density) Some people even argue that the force of creating a singularity would cause another rapid expansion and create, yet another universe and this cycle would probably repeat for eternity!

Interesting, dont you think?
metal4eva_22
PonyFan #376121
20 IQ
Is it that the universe is is expanding at an accelerated rate, or is it that time is slowing down while the universe expands at a constant rate, but we can't notice time slowing down in our short lives?

Since space and time are linked, maybe once the universe expands enough, time will slow down to zero.
-The Crimson Fucker, aka PonyFan #376121
Last edited by metal4eva_22 at Nov 17, 2012,
C0FF1NF33D3R
Banned
10 IQ
The universe is still expanding from the Big Bang. The rate of expansion is so fast that light from distant galaxies will never reach Earth. The expansion also means the universe is cooling down. When the universe cools down matter will eventually break apart (predicted by the laws of thermodynamics). The universe will als. be in complete darkness. This estimated to happen in about 14 billion years. This is more likely to happen than the "Big Crunch" theory, in which the universe collapses in on it self.
eGraham
Rattle That Lock
70 IQ
Well, speed and time are supposedly directly related. And if I understand right, the universe continually expands more rapidly. So I could see a correlation there.

But I'm no ****ing physicist.
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

shavorules42
UG Board King
161 IQ
My professors have told me that the Big Crunch or oscillating Big Bang theory is generally considered to be false by most physicists these days. More are subscribing to the Big Freeze theory that the guy with the 13375P34|< name referred to.
Quote by element4433
Be subtle with it. Don't like molest him.

And cup his balls.

Quote by blake1221
If there's anything to take away from this thread, anything at all, it's to always cup the balls.
SamWhiteBASS
80 IQ
For the record, I wasnt saying I agree with the big crunch idea, I just think its a pretty cool concept!
Kytokinesis
rose tint my world
60 IQ
It's expanding because basically there is still force left over from the big bang, as in the explosion is still happening in a way. Atleast that's how I see it.
metalgod97
315 IQ
The Double Slit Experiment proved matter to be made of wave/particles. Yet, when the electrons were observed, they constantly shifted between waves & particles as if they were being watched. Yet, dissonant individuals asked how the particles could change so quickly. Linear time is an illusion created in the physical in order to aid the very minds that created it -- us. In the 4th dimension (Astral Planes) space & time are one & there lies the "Akashic Records." The complete memory bank from the dawn of mankind formed into one: a Collective Consciousness. What happens on the Inner Planes directly affect life in the physical. In order to understand the outward symbols projected by Us, We must understand the workings from within.
Aralingh
Intelligent person
20 IQ
Quote by SamWhiteBASS
For the record, I wasnt saying I agree with the big crunch idea, I just think its a pretty cool concept!

So is religion
Dreadnought
Oceanic Mountainman
481 IQ
Quote by jetfuel495
what if the universe isn't expanding what if everything in it is just shrinking

But we little know until tried how much of the uncontrollable there is in us, urging across glaciers and torrents, and up dangerous heights, let the judgment forbid as it may.
eGraham
Rattle That Lock
70 IQ
Quote by jetfuel495

That's not fair, it's cold outside.
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

adamgur96
Not caring no more
668 IQ
Quote by jetfuel495

lol, I have a friend who's really into science and shit, if you tell that to him.... he..... he would yell at you..... alot....

Inb4 alot.jpg
Quote by Gantz92
Quote by Nelsean
Quote by Obsceneairwaves
MrDo0m
Blessed Sisyphus
30 IQ
There is no edge to the universe, because the universe is everything. It's possible that there is an edge that we can't perceive in three dimensions, or even possible that things in the universe that are too far away from us to ever observe don't actually exist, or just exist as a probability.

It's infinite and expanding because everything everywhere is clumping together in galaxies (gravity), and the galaxies are all moving away from each other in all opposite directions (dark energy).

No one really knows why the dark energy is expanding the universe, but I suspect it's gravity being displaced from the supermassive black holes holding galaxies together.

Space itself is getting bigger, and eventually the universe will rip apart to infinitely small pieces falling into black holes. That's how the universe ends, but since no one can prove exactly how it began, we don't know what would stop another big bang from happening.
ron666
20 IQ
Good question. I heard someone say that our universe is like a bubble and there are other universes nearby that are also bubbles.

So if one bubble gets bigger then obviously our bubble will start to squeeze against another one. I don't know what happens when the pressure gets too intense. So don't ask?

ron666
Seref
Gobshite
30 IQ
The universe is getting bigger, yes. But you have to detach yourself from the idea that its expanding into something. There is no big area being filled up by the universe. Outside the bounds of the universe is non-existence. Not empty space, not 'nothing.' The place doesn't exist.
ripple07
Clancy can't even sing
20 IQ
Red shift, bro. Check it out.
Quote by Gabel
You are EXTREMELY WRONG! I have played it. I own an 18W and it would be an awful stereo amp, it's way too bright, breaks up too easily and so on. Secondly, why would a guitar store sell an hifi amp.
JustRooster
Professionally Crabby
514 IQ
Quote by Dreadnought
Universe expanding indeed

I caught the cleverness of this post. Well done.

Quote by EyeNon15
Thats too bad, I was under the impression I was arguing something profound

Quote by StewieSwan
my eyes are rolling harder than fred durst

ripple07
Clancy can't even sing
20 IQ
Quote by magnus_maximus
[physics undergraduate]

Yes, it is expanding. No, we don't know what into. We know there is an "edge of time", though, because we can see reflections from the big bang, meaning there is some sort of "wall" at the edge of the universe. Awesome, huh?

Technically if we compare the speed of light with the time the big bang happened we could find the "size of the universe".
Quote by Gabel
You are EXTREMELY WRONG! I have played it. I own an 18W and it would be an awful stereo amp, it's way too bright, breaks up too easily and so on. Secondly, why would a guitar store sell an hifi amp.
Page 1 of 2