Page 1 of 2
TremontiAddict
644 IQ
Hey guys, I'm looking into getting a new amp for Christmas, so I thought I'd get some opinions on here. I like to play with a decent amount of gain, but I'd really like to have a good clean sound too. Not sure if I should just get decent clean amp like a Blues Jr or an AC15 and run pedals for gain, or if I should get a more versatile 2 channel amp.

Budget? - Around $500-$600

Genres? - Hard rock, classic rock, not so much into extremely high gain metal. Mark Tremonti is my favorite guitarist, and I like playing a lot of his style of music. Alter Bridge, Shinedown, and Skillet are some of my favorite bands. I do like to have a nice clean sound though as I mentioned earlier.

New or Used? - My local Craigslist is pretty dead, so probably new. If I buy used, I'd most likely just get something from Guitar Center's used site, so that is a possible option.

Home or Gig? - Home primarily, but I do have a drum kit and it would be nice to be able to play over that if I needed to.

Current Gear? - PRS Tremonti SE and a Roland Micro Cube.

Thanks!
Ian_the_fox
Banned
2,990 IQ
Does it matter if it's head+cab/combo?

I'd suggest a used Peavey JSX or XXX, combos or head/cab. The combo would work but in my opinion it sounds best run through some V30's.

I got to play the head through my Whitebox cab today; sounded fucking amazing.

That, or a used Marshall DSL401 would work excellently.
TremontiAddict
644 IQ
Forgot to mention that part, I don't have a cab so I think a combo would fit better in my budget. I've listened to some clips of the JSX before, and they seem like good amps. I'll have to check out the DSL too.
ragingkitty
meow?
1,727 IQ
What about a PRS SE 20?
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
TremontiAddict
644 IQ
^Nice amps, but a little out of my price range. Not seeing many used ones come up online.
R45VT
Doesn't speak guitar
1,110 IQ
DSL401. Nice little combo. Turn the reverb up on the cleans and is a three channel- OD and distortion.

A used one will be within your budget.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
See, it's important that people clarify when they say "metal", because I pretty much always assume they are a Cannibal Corpse fanboi.
sk8board3r
Just call me Gary
957 IQ
I can't say much about the JSX but I had the XXX for something like 3 years. It's an okay amp, but don't get it. Probably the best amp in your price range is the Fender Hot Rod, it's great clean and takes pedals really well that push it up into a nice crunch area. The only thing that this little bastard can't do that well is high gain stuff, which you aren't looking for anyway.
Reverend Reeves Gabrels Sig
Fulltone
Dunlop
BOSS
Deltalab
Orange
Hughs & Kettner

https://soundcloud.com/gary-vanluling
Check out some of my home stuff !
UX1 & Ez Drummer

(listen to the Ode to Tarantino!)
TremontiAddict
644 IQ
I've thought about trying to get a Hot Rod Deluxe. There's a guitar store near my house that's an authorized Fender dealer, so I might try to play one there and see if I like it.
R45VT
Doesn't speak guitar
1,110 IQ
It's got cleans but not a great distortion channel.

You would want a better amp later...
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
See, it's important that people clarify when they say "metal", because I pretty much always assume they are a Cannibal Corpse fanboi.
Remnest
974 IQ
Carvin V3M combo has a nice clean channel and since its a 3 channel amp it should give you some versatility.
Cathbard
Grumpy Old Tech
2,565 IQ
You haven't said where you live. How is 311 supposed to work his used amp locating mojo if you don't tell him where you are?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
TremontiAddict
644 IQ
Quote by R45VT
It's got cleans but not a great distortion channel.

You would want a better amp later...

Yeah I'm kind of stuck wondering whether I should try for an amp with decent cleans and distortion or just get something with really nice cleans and use pedals for the gain. I like the DSL's overdrive a lot compared to the Hot Rod, but I think the Hot Rod's cleans are a lot better.

Quote by Remnest
Carvin V3M combo has a nice clean channel and since its a 3 channel amp it should give you some versatility.

I was really interested in the V3M when it first came out, but I think its overdrive sounds a little muddy. I might be kind of picky on my budget though lol.

Quote by Cathbard
You haven't said where you live. How is 311 supposed to work his used amp locating mojo if you don't tell him where you are?

My bad. I'm in the United States...West Virginia.
Last edited by TremontiAddict at Nov 17, 2012,
Remnest
974 IQ
I dunno the OD channel sounds great to me, though ill admit the distortion channel is a bit fizzy though its something i deal with by rolling off the guitar volume a little.
sk8board3r
Just call me Gary
957 IQ
The cleans on the Hot Rod are, well, Fender cleans haha They don't get better then that. For my gain I use a fulltone OCD and it does great, a good overdrive all the way up to Metallica type gain. Nice stuff, great amp. The only reason I'm planning on upgrading is cause I want to move up to a head and a cab, but I'm not in any rush.
Reverend Reeves Gabrels Sig
Fulltone
Dunlop
BOSS
Deltalab
Orange
Hughs & Kettner

https://soundcloud.com/gary-vanluling
Check out some of my home stuff !
UX1 & Ez Drummer

(listen to the Ode to Tarantino!)
311ZOSOVHJH
G G A - B A B Y
7,171 IQ
I see a Peavey VTM and a Kustom 66 in your 'local' area but I don't where you are in WV. If you'd like us to take a second look for you let us know.

Strictly new, maybe look at a Peavey Classic 30, Egnater 40, Jet City JCA50, Marshall DSL15, Orange Tiny Terror, B52 ATX100, Peavey 6505+112, Peavey Vypyr 60, DV Mark 15, Hughes & Kettner Tubemeister 18, VHT Special 12/20, Peavey Valveking, etc
TremontiAddict
644 IQ
^Thanks for all the suggestions. The DSL amps are interesting me the more I listen to clips of them. I might try to snag a used DSL401 online or look into getting the DSL15.
R45VT
Doesn't speak guitar
1,110 IQ
Quote by TremontiAddict
^Thanks for all the suggestions. The DSL amps are interesting me the more I listen to clips of them. I might try to snag a used DSL401 online or look into getting the DSL15.

The 401 is 40watts. More than enough for any situation. 15 might not be enough. Cleans won't stay clean.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
TremontiAddict
644 IQ
True, plus the used 401's are usually going for less than the new 15's.
Wisthekiller
UG's Nigel Tufnel
1,897 IQ
Quote by TremontiAddict

I've heard from multiple places that the DSL15s just flat out suck. Just throwing that out there.
TremontiAddict
644 IQ
I appreciate the input from everyone. Right now I'm kind of leaning towards getting a DSL401 or one of the better clean amps like a Hot Rod Deluxe. I guess it's a matter of opinion, but do you guys think I'd be happy with something like a Hot Rod and eventually getting a nice distortion pedal in the future such as the one of the new Bogner pedals or a Wampler, or would I be better off with a DSL401?
ihartfood
Potato Faced Blind Man
551 IQ
ask bassmastamitch. that's what he does, a wampler triple wreck and a HRD.

I have gone both routes in the past and prefer a high/mid gain combo to using pedals. less to schlep around I guess.
TremontiAddict
644 IQ
Cool, I'll try to talk to him then. I'm pretty much down to those two choices now, a clean amp with the Wampler or something like a DSL401.
TheSPillow
UG's UG
737 IQ
I own an Orange Dark Terror through a 2x12 with v30s, but I'd recommend possibly getting a Tiny Terror combo. It does the vintage stuff superbly.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Yamaha Pacifica 112
Alvarez SLM
Orange Dark Terror
Orange PPC212OB 2x12 cab
Yamaha P-85 Keyboard
TremontiAddict
644 IQ
Quote by TheSPillow
I own an Orange Dark Terror through a 2x12 with v30s, but I'd recommend possibly getting a Tiny Terror combo. It does the vintage stuff superbly.

Quote by ihartfood
Oh wait! Look into the Bogner Alchemist. It may be the answer

I'll look into both of these too. I'm gonna have to take a trip down to the music shop near me and try a ton of amps out. I'm pretty sure they had an Alchemist on display last time I was there.
ihartfood
Potato Faced Blind Man
551 IQ
You might love it, might hate it. It's that kind of amp. I love them.

The TT combo is gonna suck for cleans esp over a drummer and it will struggle for stuff like Isolation (AB song). I found myself keeping the tone knob really high up as well to get a nice bark/trebly bite out of it as well. You should look into the Jim Root terror if you're going that route as it's far more controllable IMO and is based off the Rockerverb preamp circuit.
TremontiAddict
644 IQ
I kinda doubt I go the Orange route just because they're a little out of my price range. I might consider a Jim Root Terror or a Dark Terror if I already had a cab, but right now I'm mainly looking at combos. Plus I would like something with more headroom for cleans.
bassmastamitch
Isn't good at bass
1,412 IQ
I'll answer your message here in case anyone else wants to dissect it.

A Triple Wreck-HRD would be pretty much perfect for what you want, as you are in very similar circumstances to mine as for volume needs, budget, and music styles (Mark Tremonti is my favorite guitarist too!)

Volume is the finicky beast. The amp can easily drown out a drumset, but also run whisper quiet, however not much in between. (This is the case with my HRD model, but this may be a fix with different pots in the HRD III.) Thing is, I've found the volume control on the Triple Wreck to be incredibly useful, so I can run the amp's volume at around 2, but adjust the volume on the pedal to 9 o clock for nighttime playing, around 11 o clock if I don't want to hear my strings acoustically, and then about 1 clock to match the bypassed signal. The volume on the T-Wreck isn't really a direct attenuation to my ears (lower volume=less push on the preamp of the amp, affecting the tone) but it is still a damn fine tone for that volume.
TremontiAddict
644 IQ
^Thanks for answering! It sounds like a pretty versatile setup. It looks to me like the Deluxe III added different kinds of pots, so maybe they tried to fix that problem in the newer models. I'll continue searching for a good deal and playing some of these amps in person, but I think I'm leaning towards getting the HRD with a Wampler sometime in the future.

Thanks again to everyone that replied. You've all been a big help.
bassmastamitch
Isn't good at bass
1,412 IQ
That's to look on the bright side. I still doubt it's usability, even though I haven't heard the III for myself.
TremontiAddict
644 IQ
Lol I'm sure I'd find uses for the HRD drive channel. It's nice to have a variety of tones to play with anyways.
bassmastamitch
Isn't good at bass
1,412 IQ
Quote by TremontiAddict
Lol I'm sure I'd find uses for the HRD drive channel. It's nice to have a variety of tones to play with anyways.

I don't joke when I say it's completely unusable, minus an OK at best fuzz tone. You'd be buying a clean machine.
tubetime86
I don't even play guitar.
1,633 IQ
Quote by bassmastamitch
I don't joke when I say it's completely unusable, minus an OK at best fuzz tone. You'd be buying a clean machine.

I wouldn't say that. It's bad, but it's not like it's completely non-musical... It sounds OK, until you hear what a decent drive sound is supposed to sound like...

I think most people are happy with the OD when they buy the amp, it's just that over time they get sick of it and its shortcoming stand out more.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
dementiacaptain
Chiefin' Son
2,227 IQ
I really dig the HRDIII that is at my local GC. It isn't my flavor, but it definitely is a good clean amp. The drive is just super thin, I feel like it could possibly be made better with some minor mods, but whether it would be worth it is another argument.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.