feraccia
32 IQ
Hi guys! Recently I started a band, and we decided to play in drop b. I play an LTD MH - 350 NT, wich comes with a 25.5" scale.
Now, I've recently tried the Ernie Ball 10 - 56 set for 7-string guitar; I burnt the 0.10 string, so the set now is 13 - 17 - 26 - 36 - 46 - 56, but this feels too much... "Hard" to play. Now I want to put on a custom set, made by (in order of appearance): 0.11 - 0.14 - 0.20 - 0.32 - 0.42 - 0.56. Will this work? Or will this **** up my neck? (i have a Neck-Thru-Body Construction).
Thanks to anyone who will answer!
Last edited by feraccia at Nov 18, 2012,
Mind_Reader7
Tab Contributor
1,537 IQ
I used a .56 for my 7th G string.
"I think, as a musician, you should practice your technique to be as good as you need to be to facilitate whatever ideas come into your head."
- Devin Townsend
hminh87
Justin here!
4,672 IQ
Considering there are set of 11-70 I think you will be fine.
G͔͓̅e͎͉̟̽ͬ͐̎̃͐ͨͅå͈͖͕̹̤̟̐̏͋ͅr̩͕̫̰̗s̹̳̼ͥ̒̍̄̅ͥ̚:

ESP Standard Eclipse I CTM VW
ESP LTD Deluxe H-1001
ESP LTD Deluxe Viper-1000 STBC
ESP Edwards E-EX-100STD
Warmoth Paulcaster "Tiger"
Tanglewood TW170 AS
Vox Tonelab ST
Blackstar HT-1R

pushingthrough
364 IQ
I have the same guitar and I just started using 12-60's for drop tuning. You might have to adjust the truss rod and do a setup depending on how it was setup before but you should be fine. I just tried DR DDT's and i was blown away. They held tune right from the start. Other strings would not hold as well and I would find some strings to be chronic with tuning problems. They're a little more expensive than some other brands but I'm a die hard fan now. They feel and sound fantastic. I wont use anything else for drop tuning. You wont be dissapointed.
Robbgnarly
Tab Contributor
1,177 IQ
Quote by feraccia
Hi guys! Recently I started a band, and we decided to play in drop b. I play an LTD MH - 350 NT, wich comes with a 25.5" scale.
Now, I've recently tried the Ernie Ball 10 - 56 set for 7-string guitar; I burnt the 0.10 string, so the set now is 13 - 17 - 26 - 36 - 46 - 56, but this feels too much... "Hard" to play. Now I want to put on a custom set, made by (in order of appearance): 0.11 - 0.14 - 0.20 - 0.32 - 0.42 - 0.56. Will this work? Or will this **** up my neck? (i have a Neck-Thru-Body Construction).
Thanks to anyone who will answer!

I don't understand how being in drop b with those strings make it hard to play. I use 10-52 on an SG to tune to drop C and they feal a little fubby still.

You may want to use a 24w in place of the 20
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
feraccia
32 IQ
Quote by Robbgnarly
I don't understand how being in drop b with those strings make it hard to play. I use 10-52 on an SG to tune to drop C and they feal a little fubby still.

You may want to use a 24w in place of the 20

Well, you know, I like soft strings, I don't like to have too much "substance" under my finger. I bend a lot, and I do riffs that are pretty fast and with lots of tecnique in them, so I need a fast response even if I don't "press" too much the string. I hope you understood what I said, because my English is pretty wrong
Robbgnarly
Tab Contributor
1,177 IQ
Quote by feraccia
Well, you know, I like soft strings, I don't like to have too much "substance" under my finger. I bend a lot, and I do riffs that are pretty fast and with lots of tecnique in them, so I need a fast response even if I don't "press" too much the string. I hope you understood what I said, because my English is pretty wrong

I speak English and I am pretty bad at it

One thing to take into consideration it the more tension you have on your strings in a lower tunning the sharper and more crisp your notes/chords will be. This does help with your sound not getting "muddy" as bad.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
feraccia
32 IQ
Quote by pushingthrough
I have the same guitar and I just started using 12-60's for drop tuning. You might have to adjust the truss rod and do a setup depending on how it was setup before but you should be fine. I just tried DR DDT's and i was blown away. They held tune right from the start. Other strings would not hold as well and I would find some strings to be chronic with tuning problems. They're a little more expensive than some other brands but I'm a die hard fan now. They feel and sound fantastic. I wont use anything else for drop tuning. You wont be dissapointed.

Well, thanks for the advice! Do you like that guitar?
feraccia
32 IQ
Quote by Robbgnarly
I speak English and I am pretty bad at it

One thing to take into consideration it the more tension you have on your strings in a lower tunning the sharper and more crisp your notes/chords will be. This does help with your sound not getting "muddy" as bad.

My only fear was about the passage betwenn 0.42 and 0.56... It's such an abyss!