ComradSputnik
UG's enlightened one
423 IQ
So I saw a youtube video of a guy who said that if you take out the screws out of one coil of a Humbucker it will become a single coil pickup.
It sounds pretty easy and is a great way for people with HB-guitars to get single coil sounds.
So any thoughts on this? Does taking out the screw really disable the coil?
And would there be any reliability issues?

Here's the video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6g8qF9vC11s
JesusCrisp
UG's Jesus
1,621 IQ
I'd say you could just go ahead and add a push/pull pot for coil splitting or parallel switching so you have both singlecoil-ish tones and humbucker tones without taking anything out of your pickups.
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
gregs1020
Hi mom!
10,786 IQ
Quote by Roc8995
I don't think I've ever played anything in black walnut. It's a great ice cream flavor, so I assume it works well for a strat too.

Quote by JustRooster
The slugs in the pickups for telecasters are from old winchester rifles, which is why they sound so country.
michaelbot9000
ug's pastafarian
555 IQ
you wont be "disabling" the coil, but you will be reducing its inductance. There are easier (and more convincing sound-wise) ways to make a humbucker sound like a single coil. It was hard to hear just how much the tone changed, but im thinking not much.

Interesting concept, but im not convinced you will have 0 hum. Reduced hum from a SC maybe, but it seems like you no longer have two equal coils. Im thinking the coil with out the screws will put out less voltage than the other one, so you will have hum with 0 phase and then less hum with 180 phase (so the superposition of the two will not be hum+(-hum)=0, it will be hum + (-k*hum) where k is some constant between 0 and 1.)

not really sure why they use screws in the first place to be honest!

edit: also this guy in the video is a little miss-informed electricaly, but at least hes trying to figure stuff out on his own and rationalize it. Nice to see people who try stuff for themselves before just shouting nonsense everywhere
Last edited by michaelbot9000 at Nov 18, 2012,
Robbgnarly
Tab Contributor
1,177 IQ
Quote by michaelbot9000

not really sure why they use screws in the first place to be honest!

It make it so you can adjust the individual poles on the pickup sou you can fine tune the pickup for diff radius fret boards.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
ihartfood
Potato Faced Blind Man
551 IQ
It worked nicely for a temporary solution until I get a Strat. Thanks random guy on youtube! It sounds purty.

edit: that's the annoying "Guitar Neck Facts for Dumb Mother****ers" guy, isn't it? huh.