toBetheVeryBest
like no one ever was!
187 IQ
I want to make music for my video games, and was wondering if anyone knew any good software for composing music. Any suggestions?
NemX162
1,166 IQ
GuitarPro is nice. I used to use it to create MIDI's, which I then loaded into Garage Band. You could use anything that works with MIDI's though. Since you're probably familiar with guitar, I highly recommend GuitarPro for making the MIDI's.
Trowzaa
TwoWorldWars&OneWorldCup
731 IQ
Quote by toBetheVeryBest
I am both of those so thanks.

What makes me lazy by using it though?

I'm guessing it's simpler than the others and doesn't take as much work.
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

Novacane...
177 IQ
If you want a cheap option, MuLab. It's really easy to learn all the basics, a lot more so than Reaper.
damian_91
247 IQ
Quote by StewieSwan
Your brain.

That's hardware.

Okay it's kinda soft..
Quote by Pleasure2kill
The truth is, Muslims never apologized for their faith having something to do with the attacks on 9/11.
toBetheVeryBest
like no one ever was!
187 IQ
Quote by NemX162
GuitarPro is nice. I used to use it to create MIDI's, which I then loaded into Garage Band. You could use anything that works with MIDI's though. Since you're probably familiar with guitar, I highly recommend GuitarPro for making the MIDI's.

It looks promising. Do you know if they offer free trial somewhere? I would like to try it before I buy it.

EDIT: Nevermind found a downlaod link.
Last edited by toBetheVeryBest at Nov 18, 2012,
goest
SJW
272 IQ
Quote by ChucklesMginty
LOL.

Sibelius.

It took me far too long to realize you weren't insulting me about my state's previous Governor...
Duffman123
A cookie full of arsenic
2,383 IQ
Quote by Trowzaa
I'm guessing it's simpler than the others and doesn't take as much work.

That, is the truth (and it has tool in the url, I mean come on).

Well done Trowzaa, you could become mayor of London some day with intelligence like that.
Last edited by Duffman123 at Nov 18, 2012,
Hydra150
cutebutt mcsexyface
1,804 IQ
Quote by NemX162

I second this, it has proven useful to me for recording crappy quality midi stuff. I like the interface, I learned how to compose (albeit in a guitar-centric way) while messing around with that program.
But boys will be boys and girls have those eyes
that'll cut you to ribbons, sometimes
and all you can do is just wait by the moon
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
mulefish
UG Addict
2,084 IQ
Very much depends on what music you plan to make.

Guitar Pro is great for rock/metal or just generally guitar dominated music.
Sibelius is far more powerful - better for composing musical scores and such. But I found it more clumsy for guitar dominated music.

Both can export midi. Which is very helpful.

If you want to compose electronic music, or compose from a midi keyboard or whatever, than I'd recommend a DAW such as Cubase, Pro Tools, Logic, Reaper or something.

It really depends on exactly what you want to do though.
RIP Gooze

cats
Trowzaa
TwoWorldWars&OneWorldCup
731 IQ
Quote by Duffman123
That, is the truth.

Well done Trowzaa, you could become mayor of London some day with intelligence like that.

My geiger counter of anticipation has gone zoink off the scale.
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

AeolianWolf
Tonal Vigilante
186 IQ
your brain and your ear. if you have to rely on software to compose music, you may as well leave it to the machines.

if you're talking about software to notate it, i'd second sibelius. it's really very good.

and if you're talking about software to play it back, it's not going to sound very good (no matter what software you use) unless you really know how to mix and master well (and even then, you'll need to figure out how to get a decent sound in the first place).
Anfangen ist leicht, Beharren eine Kunst.
jazz_rock_feel
UG Resident
2,342 IQ
Sibelius/Finale for scoring, but if you actually want to compose to a cinematic sequence or something like that, a DAW like Pro Tools/Digital Performer/Logic/Cubase is what you'll want.

If you actually want the software to write music for you, check out Max/MSP or PWGL.
Dreadnought
Oceanic Mountainman
5,267 IQ
Sibelius!!
But we little know until tried how much of the uncontrollable there is in us, urging across glaciers and torrents, and up dangerous heights, let the judgment forbid as it may.
ripple07
Clancy can't even sing
594 IQ
Pro tools. If you don't have 700 bucks audacity. Get those ideas on wax whilst they are still hot, bro's.
Quote by Gabel
You are EXTREMELY WRONG! I have played it. I own an 18W and it would be an awful stereo amp, it's way too bright, breaks up too easily and so on. Secondly, why would a guitar store sell an hifi amp.
Dreadnought
Oceanic Mountainman
5,267 IQ
MuseScore is okay, has a loooooong way to go though. Sibelius (even Sibelius First, which is what I have/paid for) shits on it.
But we little know until tried how much of the uncontrollable there is in us, urging across glaciers and torrents, and up dangerous heights, let the judgment forbid as it may.
primusfan
Conspiracy Music Theorist
5,340 IQ
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
Yeah, ****ing MuseScore is the best provided you don't care about the quality of your engraving.

i play jazz, bruh. they're lucky it's not scribbled in pencil.
#DTWD
SteveHouse
trys hard, loves the game
798 IQ
Compose or produce?

Compose = Sibelius.
Produce = whatever DAW feels best to you.

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa
I only play bots. Bots never abandon me. (´・ω・`)

jazz_rock_feel
UG Resident
2,342 IQ
Quote by primusfan
i play jazz, bruh. they're lucky it's not scribbled in pencil.

I heard some jazz kids talking at school the other day about how Finale was better than Sibelius because it could do way more stuff or some shit. And I was like, wait a minute, you need an advanced-page-layout-borderline-DTP software to write out lead sheets? Those must be some detailed arrangements.
Dreadnought
Oceanic Mountainman
5,267 IQ
Finale is an ugly piece of shit
primusfan
Conspiracy Music Theorist
5,340 IQ
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
I heard some jazz kids talking at school the other day about how Finale was better than Sibelius because it could do way more stuff or some shit. And I was like, wait a minute, you need an advanced-page-layout-borderline-DTP software to write out lead sheets? Those must be some detailed arrangements.

I had a 20ish page score once.
#DTWD