Page 1 of 3
The Madcap
Classical Guitarist
9,780 IQ
What are some comedies that remain consistently funny all the way through?

To me, most comedies seem to lose momentum after the first 30 to 45 minutes. They don't get bad, but most of the best laughs have been had at that point. Most comedies nowadays follow this formula:

Enter: Main character(s).
They have a problem or goal they need to accomplish.
They try to accomplish goal.
They have a falling out and separate and give up on accomplishing goal.
They reunite and resolve their differences and, stronger willed than before, accomplish their goal.
The road back; happy ending.

This formula was followed by Superbad, Bridesmaids, Role Models, Knocked Up, Step Brothers, Dumb and Dumber, Just about all Will Ferrell and Adam Sandler movies, Zack and Miri, and countless others (including most modern Disney Pixar films.

So whenever the characters have some sort of falling out (ex. in Knocked Up with Seth Rogen and Katharine Heigl break up), it's more serious and harder for the movie to be funny.

However, to me the following movies still manage to deliver the same amount of laughter throughout the whole film:

Dumb and Dumber
Airplane
Borat
ErikLensherr
MGTOW
1,634 IQ
In Bruges
Quote by EpiExplorer
I swear this guy in particular writes for the telegraph or some shit.

Quote by Rossenrot
I was in NYC for all of about 5 minutes until I was called a cracker and called out to fight someone.
rockingamer2
Larmarky Remark
408 IQ
Quote by The Madcap

Airplane

I'd hope that it doesn't lose momentum, else it'd fall out of the sky.
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
Duffman123
A cookie full of arsenic
2,383 IQ
Black Dynamite
Life of Brian
Naked Gun

etccccc

and Anchorman, fak dis Ferrell hate
Gibson_SG_uzr55
DJ SNAAAAKKEEE
4,028 IQ
Quote by genghisgandhi
Tropic Thunder

Haven't seen you in a while, welcome back

Clerks 2. I was in tears and grabbing my gut the whole way through the first time I saw it, just when there was a sentimental/dramatic scene that popped up there would appear a one-liner to make light of the situation shortly. To this day my favorite comedy film.
Quote by beadhangingOne
What happened to Snake?

Snake?

Snake?

SNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAKE?!

Quote by TunerAddict
you can take my mouse and keyboard from my cold, slightly orange from cheetos, dead fingers

Quote by Baby Joel
Isis is amazing
Trowzaa
TwoWorldWars&OneWorldCup
731 IQ
Quote by ErikLensherr
In Bruges

Yes, definitely yes.

You're an inanimate fucking object.

Quote by Duffman123
Black Dynamite
Life of Brian
Naked Gun

etccccc

and Anchorman, fak dis Ferrell hate

Yeah, I was gonna say Anchorman's hilarious all the way through.
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

Trowzaa
TwoWorldWars&OneWorldCup
731 IQ
Quote by The Madcap

Wouldn't his dick be green?

The Madcap
Classical Guitarist
9,780 IQ
Quote by Trowzaa
Wouldn't his dick be green?
The joke is that people always associate Piccolo (and Namekians) with black people.
Gibson_SG_uzr55
DJ SNAAAAKKEEE
4,028 IQ
Quote by The Madcap
What are some comedies that remain consistently funny all the way through?

To me, most comedies seem to lose momentum after the first 30 to 45 minutes. They don't get bad, but most of the best laughs have been had at that point. Most comedies nowadays follow this formula:

Enter: Main character(s).
They have a problem or goal they need to accomplish.
They try to accomplish goal.
They have a falling out and separate and give up on accomplishing goal.
They reunite and resolve their differences and, stronger willed than before, accomplish their goal.
The road back; happy ending.

This formula was followed by Superbad, Bridesmaids, Role Models, Knocked Up, Step Brothers, Dumb and Dumber, Just about all Will Ferrell and Adam Sandler movies, Zack and Miri, and countless others (including most modern Disney Pixar films.

So whenever the characters have some sort of falling out (ex. in Knocked Up with Seth Rogen and Katharine Heigl break up), it's more serious and harder for the movie to be funny.

However, to me the following movies still manage to deliver the same amount of laughter throughout the whole film:

Dumb and Dumber
Airplane
Borat

I'm actually confused, because you said Dumb and Dumber followed that formula, but maintain that Dumb and Dumber is one of those consistently funny movies. Are you saying you don't like the formula, but Dumb and Dumber is an exception to the rule? Or that you like that formula

I personally love Superbad, Step Brothers, Dumb and Dumber, etc. I'm not bashing on your taste if you're saying you don't like those former two, I'm just wondering because I'm not sure what you mean there.
Quote by beadhangingOne
What happened to Snake?

Snake?

Snake?

Quote by TunerAddict
you can take my mouse and keyboard from my cold, slightly orange from cheetos, dead fingers

Quote by Baby Joel
Isis is amazing
Duffman123
A cookie full of arsenic
2,383 IQ
Quote by WhiskeyFace
Lebowski

It's not that funny though. I mean it was a fun film, but I don't remember laughing out loud once.

Quote by Trowzaa
Yes, definitely yes.

You're an inanimate fucking object.

Yeah, I was gonna say Anchorman's hilarious all the way through.

The cheap gags somehow manage to make me laugh the whole way through.
Last edited by Duffman123 at Nov 18, 2012,
The Madcap
Classical Guitarist
9,780 IQ
Quote by Gibson_SG_uzr55
I'm actually confused, because you said Dumb and Dumber followed that formula, but maintain that Dumb and Dumber is one of those consistently funny movies. Are you saying you don't like the formula, but Dumb and Dumber is an exception to the rule? Or that you like that formula

I personally love Superbad, Step Brothers, Dumb and Dumber, etc. I'm not bashing on your taste if you're saying you don't like those former two, I'm just wondering because I'm not sure what you mean there.
Don't get me wrong, I still like all those movies that happen to follow that formula, however I think they lose momentum because they follow that formula. In all those movies, most of the best laughs I had were in the first 30 minutes. I like Superbad, Knocked Up, etc.

Dumb and Dumber however is kind of rare because it still remains consistently funny despite following that same formula. Even when Lloyd and Harry have their falling out, it's still funny.
Bob_Sacamano
UG Board King
238 IQ
Quote by Duffman123
It's not that funny though. I mean it was a fun film, but I don't remember laughing out loud once.

shut the **** up duffy

I'd say Horrible Bosses was very consistent.
Trowzaa
TwoWorldWars&OneWorldCup
731 IQ
Quote by Duffman123

The cheap gags somehow manage to make me laugh the whole way through.

Indeed. Even at the sad parts, ie him sat at the bar drinking his miseries away. After Danny Trejo says his massive monologue and he just goes, "What? Oh, I'm sorry, I don't speak Spanish." and the always classic, "It's so hot! Milk was a bad choice!"

Duffman123
A cookie full of arsenic
2,383 IQ
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
shut the **** up duffy

I'd say Horrible Bosses was very consistent.

Well I was going to respond by telling you how much of a twat you are, but the second part of your post helped show that without me having to say anything.

how the fuck do you know my second name >_>
Bob_Sacamano
UG Board King
238 IQ
Quote by Duffman123
Well I was going to respond by telling you how much of a twat you are, but the second part of your post helped show that without me having to say anything.

how the fuck do you know my second name >_>

Gibson_SG_uzr55
DJ SNAAAAKKEEE
4,028 IQ
Quote by The Madcap
Don't get me wrong, I still like all those movies that happen to follow that formula, however I think they lose momentum because they follow that formula. In all those movies, most of the best laughs I had were in the first 30 minutes. I like Superbad, Knocked Up, etc.

Dumb and Dumber however is kind of rare because it still remains consistently funny despite following that same formula. Even when Lloyd and Harry have their falling out, it's still funny.

Gotcha

Also, I found The Sitter to be pretty hilarious, the fact that it was so slap-stick ridiculous was awesome.
Quote by beadhangingOne
What happened to Snake?

Snake?

Snake?

Quote by TunerAddict

Quote by Baby Joel
Isis is amazing
Trowzaa
TwoWorldWars&OneWorldCup
731 IQ
Quote by Bob_Sacamano

hint: his surname is duffy

whywefight
~I'm not fuckin around~
1,725 IQ
Tropic Thunder and Anchorman weirded me out a bit somewhere around the end (with Stiller's 'kid' and the Simple Jack play and the part with the bears, respectively), but they managed to keep me laughing, so I'd still they still deserve a spot on this list
jthm_guitarist
"funny" but "unmemorable"
1,474 IQ
Obviously avoid "romantic comedy" as this is a bullshit genre wherein a romantic movie sucks so they force some shitty jokes on it.

You seem to be after the infinitely better gag comedy genre, which includes the aforementioned Airplane, Clerks and Anchorman; I would add parodies such as Spaceballs and Spinal Tap, and perhaps check out Super Troopers and Office Space (if you haven't.)

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
ThrashUnleashed
stealing human bones
443 IQ
Goldmember, without a doubt.
Quote by GuitarGod_92
when I die of a brain aneurysm I want it on record that its the film threads fault

Quote by GuitarGod_92
Movies are all bad every last one of them

Quote by yope
Fungus has a right to exist. It's a valid life form.
Duffman123
A cookie full of arsenic
2,383 IQ
Quote by Trowzaa
hint: his surname is duffy

Trowzaa always on hand to state the obvious when my posts go over people's heads.
Bob_Sacamano
UG Board King
238 IQ
Quote by Duffman123

Trowzaa always on hand to state the obvious when my posts go over people's heads.

Perhaps it was I who went over your head?
Duffman123
A cookie full of arsenic
2,383 IQ
Quote by Trowzaa
Indeed. Even at the sad parts, ie him sat at the bar drinking his miseries away. After Danny Trejo says his massive monologue and he just goes, "What? Oh, I'm sorry, I don't speak Spanish." and the always classic, "It's so hot! Milk was a bad choice!"

I'd be here too long if I had to post everything I love about that movie, so gifs are on hand to help:

The Madcap
Classical Guitarist
9,780 IQ
Quote by jthm_guitarist
Obviously avoid "romantic comedy" as this is a bullshit genre wherein a romantic movie sucks so they force some shitty jokes on it.

You seem to be after the infinitely better gag comedy genre, which includes the aforementioned Airplane, Clerks and Anchorman; I would add parodies such as Spaceballs and Spinal Tap, and perhaps check out Super Troopers and Office Space (if you haven't.)
I haven't seen Spinal Tap, but I didn't like Super Troopers (I watched the first 15 minutes and changed the channel from boredom), I hated Spaceballs, and Office Space was great, but it still loses momentum after the first 45 minutes or so.
kingbabyduck
Cracking Eggs of Wisdom
482 IQ
Blazing Saddles
Gold jacket, green jacket, who gives a shit?

jthm_guitarist
"funny" but "unmemorable"
1,474 IQ
Yeah ok I can see where you're coming from with Office Space, I like that movie but doesn't really build toward the gags.

Oh what about The Jerk? That's a seriously hilarious movie that you should love if you like Airplane.

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
slayer_rule_\m/
Nothing is good.
906 IQ
I'd personally say Epic Movie is the most consitent comedy I have ever seen, always throwing something new towards you, sending you off in directions...intellectual stuff.
Duffman123
A cookie full of arsenic
2,383 IQ
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
Perhaps it was I who went over your head?

Quote by WhiskeyFace
I can't remember the first time I saw it but I laugh out loud when I rewatch it

Maybe just me then. Different strokes preferences for different blokes human beings I suppose.
The Madcap
Classical Guitarist
9,780 IQ
Quote by jthm_guitarist
Yeah ok I can see where you're coming from with Office Space, I like that movie but doesn't really build toward the gags.

Oh what about The Jerk? That's a seriously hilarious movie that you should love if you like Airplane.
I've only seen about 15 minutes, but it did look pretty good.
goest
SJW
272 IQ
Quote by The Madcap
I haven't seen Spinal Tap, but I didn't like Super Troopers (I watched the first 15 minutes and changed the channel from boredom), I hated Spaceballs, and Office Space was great, but it still loses momentum after the first 45 minutes or so.

You're missing out, man. Hilarious shit.
jonathan666666
UG's Boyscout
122 IQ
The Big Lebowski. Funny for the whole movie. Not to mention, funny for the 1st, 2nd, 3rd... time
FORZA CATANIA
goest
SJW
272 IQ
Quote by jthm_guitarist

Well I'm gonna to go then! And I don't need any of this. I don't need this stuff, and I don't need *you*. I don't need anything. Except this.
[picks up an ashtray]
And that's the only thing I need is *this*. I don't need this or this. Just this ashtray... And this paddle game. - The ashtray and the paddle game and that's all I need... And this remote control. - The ashtray, the paddle game, and the remote control, and that's all I need... And these matches. - The ashtray, and these matches, and the remote control, and the paddle ball... And this lamp. - The ashtray, this paddle game, and the remote control, and the lamp, and that's all *I* need. And that's *all* I need too. I don't need one other thing, not one... I need this. - The paddle game and the chair, and the remote control, and the matches for sure. Well what are you looking at? What do you think I'm some kind of a jerk or something! - And this. That's all I need.
The ashtray, the remote control, the paddle game, and this magazine, and the chair.
And I don't need one other thing, except my dog.
[Shithead growls at him]
I don't need my dog.