Page 3 of 4
Hail fixed it.
But boys will be boys and girls have those eyes
that'll cut you to ribbons, sometimes
and all you can do is just wait by the moon
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
This guy is a ****ing animal lol. Probably the best chef in the world. Chef's are hard, man. It's a hard business. Gordon trained under him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NsuiGQfZHiE&feature=relmfu
Whoa I've seen Marco before but I always thought he was sort of putting on the attitude to try copy the success of Gordon on telly, but you can see he isn't best pleased with that interviewer. Guess that's the single mindedness and determination that separates the good from the great in most professions that require a high degree of skill. Shame Gordon was more successful with the tv stuff.
Last edited by Hydra150 at Nov 20, 2012,
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
I fucking hate foodies.

so does chef john FOR YOUR INFORMATION

half of his jokes are foodies. he's a home chef more than anything

and mdc:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uxEhH6MPH28
Quote by Kevätuhri
Hail isn't too edgy for posts, posts are not edgy enough for Hail.

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
Watching the second clip of the first episode, he's talking to the woman, facing her while speaking all the while chopping an onion in his fingers as quickly as I have seen.
I break down in tears whenever I bring a knife into proximity with an onion, no idea how chefs aren't affected by it.
He's pretty intense, but the food on the programme isn't too exciting - I guess they hadn't perfected how to make food preparation look sexy in the eighties.

edit: ^I think my gran has one of them deep fat fryer things, she makes good chips.
i'll watch them later i'm setting up my bass rn
Quote by Kevätuhri

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
90's . He's the youngest chef to have gained 3 Michelin stars in the UK, at 33. i don't think Gordon managed it by 33, but was pretty close. Cuz marco retired, Ramsay's the only chef in london to hold 3 stars, now.

I believe Gordon's temper stems from having got such a beating from Marco, the only person to have made Gordon cry! in his early days. Done him good, though. Look at him now!

Quote by Hail
so does chef john FOR YOUR INFORMATION

half of his jokes are foodies. he's a home chef more than anything

and mdc:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uxEhH6MPH28

Nice.
Last edited by mdc at Nov 20, 2012,
I prefer Hail's YouTube guy's videos for learning to cook, it's simple food explained in a simple way. I mainly find show's like 'Marco' interesting to see the dynamic of the busy kitchen, and the personality of an imposing talent - I wouldn't really care about making the fancy stuff he is showing anyway.
It's like 'foodwishes' is JustinGuitar, encouraging people to learn and explaining well and 'Marco' is one of those 'instructional' tapes that YJM made in the nineties.
Quote by Hydra150
I prefer Hail's YouTube guy's videos for learning to cook, it's simple food explained in a simple way. I mainly find show's like 'Marco' interesting to see the dynamic of the busy kitchen, and the personality of an imposing talent

Same, dude.
Quote by Hydra150

It's like 'foodwishes' is JustinGuitar, encouraging people to learn and explaining well and 'Marco' is one of those 'instructional' tapes that YJM made in the nineties.

+1, 10/10, AAA+ analogy, would quote self again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=umTDLZHlXmo

Did you guys know The Pit now has a YLYL thread?
what i love about chef john is that he posts experimental stuff in addition to his normal recipes. nothing too difficult (in fact many are to make things easier), but lots of interesting ideas

Quote by Kevätuhri

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
Watched that chicken casserole one earlier, think imma have to try that.
i still really really really want to try the jerk pork one of these days
Quote by Kevätuhri

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
i forgot about howtobasic, i'm literally dry heaving with laughter, thank you
Quote by Kevätuhri

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
I was in pain from laughter when I stumbled upon those videos earlier, especially because I had coincidentally just spent the previous hour watching serious cookery demonstrations. I love how he like destroys a dish and then gently places a piece of lettuce on top or something like that

Anyway, this thread has probably been off-topic long enough, so to un-derail it;
What's the deal with professional wrestling? I don't get it, I mean why do some adults watch it? Is it just a nostalgia thing (I never really watched it as a kid, y'see)?
If you want theatre then there are a lot better places to watch it.
Quote by Hydra150
Anyway, this thread has probably been off-topic long enough, so to un-derail it;
What's the deal with professional wrestling? I don't get it, I mean why do some adults watch it? Is it just a nostalgia thing (I never really watched it as a kid, y'see)?
If you want theatre then there are a lot better places to watch it.

it's so bad it's good

like really, i haven't smoke since high school but i'd advise you to light up a bowl and just sit and watch WWE, that shit is hilarious

especially since a lot of the bigger guys want to be like in serious dramas and over-act their asses off, it's just too good to be true

plus watching the old macho man and hulk hogan and ultimate warrior promos of them on straight cocaine is beyond entertaining

NOTHING MEANS NOTHING
Quote by Kevätuhri

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
Quote by Hail
it's so bad it's good

I'm not convinced
But I generally avoid most of the 'so bad it's good' stuff, there's barely enough time in the world to experience all the stuff that is so good that it's amazing, and if I've got time to fill or some valuable procrastinating to do I'm happy with stuff thats so mediocre that it's passable.
But I did just spend a good portion of my evening watching a man punch eggs, so what do I know?
you just need to get through your high school drug phase

i'm in my college drug phase but still at least i don't smoke weed. but back in like 11th grade it helped me realize just how awesome it is to watch sweaty guys fake fight for 3 hours
Quote by Kevätuhri

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
Quote by AeolianWolf
then show me an example of why modes have any use -- one that cannot be explained as being in a key.

You seem to be under the understanding that modes and keys are mutually exclusive, and of course they aren't. You're looking at things too vertically, probably because of harmonic analysis, which focuses on Keys and modulations. However, as a composer haven't you ever looked at how various composers construct their horizontal lines? The sound and intervallic relationships of many melodies don't revolve around the key centre, so are modal, yet the piece eventually resolves to a key. When you view things like this, the microstructural elements of the piece is revealed and you can figure out how the composer constructed many elements through transformation techniques (<= as an example), among the countless methods that exist for deriving material from existing ideas.
Many monophonic folk melodies are modal. Of course you can say they're in a Key, but that's not the point because it doesn't resolve to the tonic of the key, and there is no harmony provided to prove that it resolve. Even if you were obstinate enough to look at the melody to derive possible harmony that would fit under it, it would still be difficult to resolve to its Key convincingly.

Quote by AeolianWolf

again, put the **** up, or shut the **** up. you're a pretty funny guy if you expect me to take anything you say seriously if all you're going to do is put forth concepts and theories

I can't tell you what to think, because you decide that yourself. I'll take back my words from before. But please don't just state that there is only "tonal and atonal" music, because people who don't know better are going to take your word for it.
Last edited by GoldenGuitar at Nov 21, 2012,
Quote by GoldenGuitar
You seem to be under the understanding that modes and keys are mutually exclusive, and of course they aren't

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAA
Quote by Kevätuhri

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
The condescending-off has resumed after 3 pages of, frankly, disturbing insights

OK fellas...nobody has landed a knockout punch yet, imo

AW has the edge slightly....

Perhaps a piece of music is needed for analysis?

This is honestly an interesting read.... but maybe thats just a disturbing insight about me...

Quote by AlanHB
It's the same as all other harmony. Surround yourself with skulls and candles if it helps.
Quote by GoldenGuitar
You seem to be under the understanding that modes and keys are mutually exclusive, and of course they aren't.

Not sure what he's laughing about. I agree.

all you do is say i'm a snob... ...i mean, name calling is all you can do when the things you know no longer suffice. but anyway, i'm not going to waste my time with an old dog who thinks he knows his shit so well that new tricks have become an impossibility for him. congratulations, old man -- your future is looking quite stale, even looking over a computer screen.

...but really, all it does is shows the bystanders that the person doing the name-calling has nothing else to fall back on. people aren't stupid. they have the uncanny ability to add 2 and 2 and get 4.

at least, SOME people do.
I can't quite reconcile what this post is saying.

Quote by AeolianWolf
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
Modes are a different concept of harmony altogether from the major/minor tonal system. In reality modes are extremely simple, the complexity arises when someone tries to explain modal concepts with tonal understanding.

</thread>, because there is no point here that is incorrect.
(there are points there that are incorrect such as the implication that modes are harmonic concepts but regardless) You say that no point there is incorrect and yet you not only say that modes are tonal but that they are more easily explained with keys (i,e, a major/minor tonal understanding)...
Quote by AeolianWolf
there are only two types of music: tonal and atonal...

...even modality utilizes functions of tonality (in that it has a tonal center), but the concept of a key has effectively replaced the concept of modality. it's difficult to listen even to old modal works and not hear them as being in a key, because of the way music has evolved. it's like listening to a gregorian chant and hearing harmony in your head - a thousand years ago, such a thing would have been unheard of. music, at that time, existed solely as melody.

Nevertheless I think that this is a very good point, and to a large extent agree with that last paragraph. At least in as much as you are saying that our contemporary musical point of view has an influence over the way in which we interpret music of old and the concepts of that time. This does not make modal concepts difficult. It makes them easy.

The guy before (that I can't remember the name of sorry ) tells me Clocks is in Eb Mixolydian. Cool. Does that tell me something particular about the song? Yes. I wonder if you had not heard this song before whether it would completely confuse you? Would you assume the music were gregorian chant? If someone said something like "They finish with the great little Dorian phrase" Would your brain return a cognitive "error - does not compute" message? I don't believe this would be the case.

This whole thread is flawed as it posits modes against keys. They are not mutually exclusive and something can be both. Can you make the same point and communicate the same idea without using modal references? Sure often you can. But why? Why would you throw out words and ideas that express something quite specific just because it doesn't fit with the way the concept was applied before the development of functional tonal harmony? i can also describe a chair without using the word chair - but that's not a great reason to stop using the word chair. The world nice used to mean ignorant or stupid now it means something quite different, I can describe a nice person without using the word nice - but again that is not a good reason to not use the world or insist on continuing to use the word in it's original meaning we simply understand it and the way that it is used in todays culture.

modes are not difficult to understand. Why do people insist on overcomplicating them.
Si
Quote by GoldenGuitar
You seem to be under the understanding that modes and keys are mutually exclusive, and of course they aren't. You're looking at things too vertically, probably because of harmonic analysis, which focuses on Keys and modulations. However, as a composer haven't you ever looked at how various composers construct their horizontal lines? The sound and intervallic relationships of many melodies don't revolve around the key centre, so are modal, yet the piece eventually resolves to a key. When you view things like this, the microstructural elements of the piece is revealed and you can figure out how the composer constructed many elements through transformation techniques (<= as an example), among the countless methods that exist for deriving material from existing ideas.
Many monophonic folk melodies are modal. Of course you can say they're in a Key, but that's not the point because it doesn't resolve to the tonic of the key, and there is no harmony provided to prove that it resolve. Even if you were obstinate enough to look at the melody to derive possible harmony that would fit under it, it would still be difficult to resolve to its Key convincingly.

i disagree. let's take the melody of scarborough fair. a very well-known folk melody, often said to be in dorian. can people say it utilizes the dorian scale? absolutely. can people say it's in dorian? arguably.

if we tack the melody to have a tonic of D, then it will become extremely difficult to fit it into C major. this, we can absolutely agree on, because cramming it into C major doesn't make any sense -- in fact, it ruins the melody.

but what's to stop me from analyzing it as being in D minor? that's the argument i'm advocating. i don't see how, given this view, you can say "of course you can say it's in a key, but that's not the point because that doesn't resolve to the tonic of the key". it resolves to D, and the key is D minor. i think that's about as clear as i can make it, honestly.

Quote by GoldenGuitar
I can't tell you what to think, because you decide that yourself. I'll take back my words from before. But please don't just state that there is only "tonal and atonal" music, because people who don't know better are going to take your word for it.

prove to me that there is something other than tonal and atonal. there's music that has a key center, and music that does not have a key center. if you're going to claim that there's music that doesn't fall into either (counting bi- and polytonality as having a key center), i expect proof.

i see what you're saying in your post. i can even agree that modes and keys are not mutually exclusive - if you wrote a composition using notes from a D dorian scale, the piece would be in D minor, but of course it could be said to be using D dorian (though, ultimately, it's still tonal). and, frankly, i'm happy that you have the civility to keep it going without becoming condescending or mocking.

but to claim that modality is a form of analysis on par with tonality -- i simply do not agree. ultimately, tonality can do everything modality can do (and more).

as for you, tiger -- to win a debate, you must speak the language. of what benefit is to me to defend myself and "take the high road"? to make my point, i must use words and concepts that the other party can understand. sometimes, the opposition is so watered down that there remains no choice but to fight fire with fire. you can knock me for it all you want, but i have never been the first to fling an insult in any debate. you're welcome to sift through all of my posts in my 3+ years here (obviously you won't, but i'm making a point). why? because i don't need to fling insults. i don't need to call names. my arguments speak for themselves. but when there comes a time that someone refutes me without even understanding (or even trying to understand) the basic precepts of my arguments, and they tell me flat out that i don't know anything, and to "wait until i get out into the real world" (and not to mention the use of fallacious arguments like "im older so i no more then u huck huck"), then you'd better believe i'm going to fight back, tooth and nail.

nonetheless, your point about the "does not compute error message" rings true.
Anfangen ist leicht, Beharren eine Kunst.
Quote by AeolianWolf
i disagree. let's take the melody of scarborough fair. a very well-known folk melody, often said to be in dorian. can people say it utilizes the dorian scale? absolutely. can people say it's in dorian? arguably.

if we tack the melody to have a tonic of D, then it will become extremely difficult to fit it into C major. this, we can absolutely agree on, because cramming it into C major doesn't make any sense -- in fact, it ruins the melody.

but what's to stop me from analyzing it as being in D minor? that's the argument i'm advocating. i don't see how, given this view, you can say "of course you can say it's in a key, but that's not the point because that doesn't resolve to the tonic of the key". it resolves to D, and the key is D minor. i think that's about as clear as i can make it, honestly.

You chose a good example to support your claim. For Scarborough fair(from what I know of the melody), I can only hear two raised 6ths in it, further more these notes are placed in between phrases, making it ambiguous. It is not enough to call it Dorian even if it contains the entire pitch collection of a Dorian mode. So in this case it is actually easier to analyse it in D minor.
But this is why modes are not used in this way. I'll try to reiterate my point. Firstly, nothing is stopping you from analyzing in D minor, because that's what I would do in this situation as well. If I were to hear to the raised 6th accented in the first beat of a bar and restated enough in a melody similar to Scarborough fair I would immediately think a Dorian mode.
If you were to say to me the "F phrygian run is in semiquavers with a chromatic #4 added before the fifth is played." I would immediately be able to sing or play that back to you.
However if you were to say sing a "Db Major scale starting on F played using semiquavers, and add a B before the C". I would need to think, that's is just how I personally see things. This descriptive method is far less concise.

Quote by AeolianWolf

prove to me that there is something other than tonal and atonal. there's music that has a key center, and music that does not have a key center. if you're going to claim that there's music that doesn't fall into either (counting bi- and polytonality as having a key center), i expect proof.

Without first knowing what your definition of music encompasses, I can't prove anything. Because it'll simply get no where, and fast too.

Quote by AeolianWolf

but to claim that modality is a form of analysis on par with tonality -- i simply do not agree. ultimately, tonality can do everything modality can do (and more).

Did I claim that? If I did, you have my sincere apology.
Last edited by GoldenGuitar at Nov 21, 2012,
jesus, what the hell happened to this thread.
^^^ It had the word "modes" in the title. It was always going to end like this.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
okay guys when we start thinking that modes and keys aren't mutually exclusive i'm done with this, i miss talking about food

at that point you're talking about misinterpreting what modes are to a yngwie-malmsteen label to overcomplicate your thought process with CST instead of, y'know, learning how to play music. like why would you justify that, ever
Quote by Kevätuhri

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
I'm just going to copy and paste this from another thread (on the subject of pitch axis theory/modes)

Quote by Me
It [pitch axis] explains a compositional process that he uses. Messiaen's 'Modes of limited transposition' concept doesn't fit into your typical college level theory curriculum but that doesn't mean it isn't appropriate for analyzing Messiaen's music.

Modes, huh? Well, modes and an absolutely hilarious derailment. Well played gentlemen.
Join the 7 String Legion!

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.

Messiaen is Magical

Official Approval
This message has been approved by:

Mister A.J.
Head of the Department of Redundancy Department
Mister A.J.
After reading this thread I can't make up my mind as to whether my understanding of music is completely backwards, or I'm just hungry.
I'm an
Engeneer
Enginear
Enginere

I'm Good at Math
Quote by J-Dawg158
After reading this thread I can't make up my mind as to whether my understanding of music is completely backwards, or I'm just hungry.

Look at the bitchin' Chicken Riggies I made (thanks to this thread);

There's no way you aren't hungry after looking that beautifulness.
Last edited by Hydra150 at Nov 21, 2012,
I learnt from this thread that I cant be arsed cooking nice things and so ate cornflakes. And now I'm out of cornflakes and it's really pissing me off.

Hold on, gotta stay on topic.

I learnt from this thread that I cant be arsed cooking MODAL MODES and so ate MODES. And now I'm out of MODES and it's really pissing me off.