View poll results: Topic^
Alienware M14x
39 55%
Apple Macbook pro 13"
32 45%
Voters: 71.
Page 2 of 3
Quote by archenemyfan
Just work, mixing, surfing the internet and stuff like that.

Also the keyboard and touchpad HAS to be good. That's a top priority.

Why not just get a wireless mouse? They're pretty cheap and the battery usually lasts around 18 months. So much easier than a touchpad.
Quote by Renka
OddOneOut is an Essex S&M mistress and not a pirate or a computer program.

Quote by Thrashtastic15
hp makes the shittiest laptops in history

This

Quote by Thrashtastic15
dell, lol

And this

Quote by eGraham
So all I do know is that I'll never buy another product from ASUS. They have the worst customer support I've ever dealt with. Absolutely infuriating.

I've heard their customer support isn't all that great. I've never had to deal with them.

Quote by OddOneOut
Why not just get a wireless mouse? They're pretty cheap and the battery usually lasts around 18 months. So much easier than a touchpad.

And also this. If you're serious about mixing, you ain't doin that shit on a touch pad.
Just hope you ever don't. It took me two weeks to get my motherboard issues resolved, in part due to the fact that they sent me the wrong form. Such an amatuer mistake.

Now my roommate's been on the phone with them for over 3 hours cumulatively today for the same reason.
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

~ A Rolling Potato Gathers No Moss ~
Quote by Thrashtastic15
hp makes the shittiest laptops in history

Well, I have only experienced one, and its lasted longer than I expected. My brothers been through an acer and sony laptop, with probably less usage, and mine has survived. Maybe I was lucky.

Any laptop that is still working well after at least 2 years of gaming and a year of being carried around has been good in my book.
It's possible to build your own laptop, though, I imagine it's harder than a desktop. As for Apple vs. Alienware. Definitely Alienware, I really like the design. You could look at Asus had a bad experience with one of their laptops a while back but I've heard nothing but good things about them. You could also look at the Dell XPS15 or something.
|You'd have to have more money than sense to buy either.
On playing the Paul Gilbert signature at the guitar store extensively, my missus sighed:
"Put it down now, It's like you love that guitar more than me!"
In Which I replied.
"Well it has got two F-Holes!"
Quote by Ian_the_fox
Can't argue that. Probably the only reason I can ever imagine myself getting a Mac Pro is for recording/mixing. Logic is easily one of the best DAW's out there.

But still, if I were going to spend $1500 on any PC, laptop or build, I'd want it to do a lot more.

Gonna get a Mac Mini for myself so I have a semi-permanent recording platform. 800 bucks, not counting tax... Or monitor... Or CD Drive... Or input...
I'm using a HP and I'd say it's better than my Toshiba I had before. I guess every brand fails some customers, it's just a matter of which one happened to have been shit for you.

Similarly I have heard a lot of bad stuff about Dell, but they were completely fine for me when I used them. Then again though, I never needed to use their customer service.
Dell do annoy me on how incompatible they make their parts though. I got a PC from them, and when it came to upgrading I realised I'd have to buy a new case and motherboard simply because they manufacture them in such a way that other parts just don't fit together properly in them. Who on earth has the CPU socket at 45 degrees!?
Building your own is usually the cheapest and best method for anything computer related.
I do have an Asus laptop though that didn't cost much and has been pretty powerful and sturdy so far.

Quote by MadClownDisease
It's not "you could have a more powerful computer", it's "you could have a laptop just as good in specs as a Mac for a lot less". The point on software I guess is less clear cut, but generally I think you can get software just as good and functional (and in many cases, the same - iTunes, Safari, Paintshop etc) as Apple's on a laptop.

At least in my experience, the software is usually not the defaults (iTunes and Safari are shit anyways compared to other free alternatives). It's normally the bigger end programs like Smoke, Final Cut, or Logic that may be required for school and/or work that only run on OS X
Logic is easily the most straight-forward DAW I've used... It's unfortunate that it costs a small fortune.

Actually... It's only 200 now? Oh, without Mainstage. Well, I mean... Who really uses Mainstage?
Last edited by L2112Lif at Nov 19, 2012,
They both suck dick so, just get a lenovo thinkpad
Someone is wrong on the internet. Only you can help.

Originally Posted by Tulkas
Stairway is required on any list of anything involving the words guitar or song, I believe Congress amended the constitution in order to put it into federal law.
There are many other custom laptop makers that aren't quite as overpriced as Alienware. CyberpowerPC and iBuyPower. I'd go with one of these or an Asus.
1998 Ibanez Prestige S2540
2005 Ibanez RG570
Bugera 333XL 212 Combo
Buying Logic was easily the worst decision I've ever made

Despite that, I'd say go with a MacBook. Alienware laptop's burn hotter than the sun and are heavier than a bag of bricks
Out of those two, Apple is better.

But, i'd really recommend you take a look at ASUS and Toshiba TS. Both of them are tanks compared to most other brands. Hell, my $400 Toshiba Satellite has been working for 2 and a half years with near constant usage, and still runs great. It's been scuffed to hell and back, but I never bothered to be really careful with it.
Quote by MakinLattes
I'd kill you and wear your skin.
Quote by Siv During Livh
To attempt to have intercourse with a hornet's nest is a very bad idea,

Voted UG's worst cross dresser.
Also voted #95 on UG's Top 100 2013. Like it means anything....
Get an ASUS laptop you can get some pretty good specs for the price
Are You a PROG-HEAD? I am.

Steam/XBL Gamertag: Ostinattos

Why not Zoidberg?

Note: Every time someone posts <3 all I see is testicles with a party hat.
Quote by muffinduck01
Out of those two, Apple is better.

But, i'd really recommend you take a look at ASUS and Toshiba TS. Both of them are tanks compared to most other brands. Hell, my $400 Toshiba Satellite has been working for 2 and a half years with near constant usage, and still runs great. It's been scuffed to hell and back, but I never bothered to be really careful with it.

Idk how Asus is, but I had a Toshiba and that thing broke in like 2 months. I've shyd away from them ever since.

I'll look into Asus though. Any other obscure brands out there that I should look into?
Malibal.

Posting in class from an Alienware M15x (which I love).

EDIT: If you're not gaming why don't you just get an ultrabook.

Makes far more sense.
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
Last edited by stratman_13 at Nov 19, 2012,
Alienware's prices are based on exclusivity. You could say the same for Apple, claiming that they also produce laptops that look nothing like the mainstream. Problem with that however, is that Apple IS mainstream. Alienware still has its exclusivity in its favour.

Even when disregarding that, Apple can't beat their better price/performance.
Quote by archenemyfan
Idk how Asus is, but I had a Toshiba and that thing broke in like 2 months. I've shyd away from them ever since.

I'll look into Asus though. Any other obscure brands out there that I should look into?

Asus is anything but obscure. They're the number 1 motherboard manufacturer in the world.
lul, comptuzorz battelz

I have a Dell, and it works fine. The only reason I reccomend ASUS over Dell is because Dell overprices their machines extremely. ASUS is slightly better. Almost half of my self-built PC's parts are ASUS, and I'm happy with it.

I also second the "HP sucks" statement. Just...don't.
Get an ASUS ultrabook and be done with it.

Here is the failure rate of laptops by brand over a 3 year period.

Last edited by TunerAddict at Nov 19, 2012,
Quote by eGraham
**** ASUS.

Build your own computer, or buy a Dell. It's the only way you won't get ripped off. And I recommend the former option.

And again, **** ASUS.

Recommending Dell and hating on ASUS? Have much have you had to drink tonight, sir?
Asus? Asus makes good laptops I think. Other than that if it were me I'd probably get whichever has the longest battery life.
Quote by GS LEAD 5
Both are overpriced, but if you are going to compare just these two, the sort of hardware Apple gives at so-and-so dollars, Alienware gives the same at about 1/2-3/4's the price.

Yes.
Tell me who's that writin'...
Is HP really that bad? Mine came with a ton of pre-installed crapware that no-one needs, but the hardware was decent at the time. It's over 4 years old and works fine, but I guess I just got lucky. Everyone says HP sucks but no-one says why.
ugh...
So. Much. Stupidity... Must. Refuse. Urge. To. Reply. To. Every. Post...

TS, between Apple and Alienware it will basically come down to Mac or Windows. They're both overpriced as shit, Mac's are overpriced because they're an Apple product, Alienware is overpriced because it's associated with the word "Gaming", but they are both overpriced.

I think you should go to a computer store with a budget, and some hardware specs in mind (if you want advice on those, go to a computer forum. Store people will just try to sell you an i7 for facebooking). Then try everything that fits your specs and budget regardless of brand, maybe even try a few that are out of it so you can see what the difference it. Then go home, get on google, and research the model you liked most. Look for how common horror stories about it are. Look up the brand, look specifically for horror stories and see what the general idea is with their customer service. If you went to a computer forum for specs help, post on there to see what they think about it and whether there's anything better. Finally, once your happy with your choice, make the purchase. That should cover you for just about any brand problems, etc and minimize risks as much as possible. Then it's just luck of the draw.
Quote by sashki
Is HP really that bad? Mine came with a ton of pre-installed crapware that no-one needs, but the hardware was decent at the time. It's over 4 years old and works fine, but I guess I just got lucky. Everyone says HP sucks but no-one says why.

I am posting from an HP laptop right now. The fan placement is horrid (why put it on the bottom) and I am propping it up with little packets of halls so it doesn't overheat. The battery life went completely to shit about a year ago, it pretty much has to be perpetually plugged in. I use it to watch videos on my TV and it can barely handle doing that competently. My experience is better than most experiences with an HP laptop receiving regular use probably. I had one before this and it crapped out in 6 months.

I would never buy an HP laptop myself. It was given to me as a gift, and complaining about a free laptop would be pretty faggy. But it's still shit. The fan placement is literally one of the stupidest things I've ever experienced. The only positive thing I could say about the two laptops I've had from them is that they looked nice and were, in fact, laptops. Other than that, I'd rather have a goddamn acer or something its that bad
Yeah, fan placement on mine is dumb. You literally have to take out everything just to clean out the fan. My old laptop is a Toshiba (which died a fiery death) which had a dedicated hatch on the bottom for fan access.

My HP is currently sitting on 4 bottlecaps for additional ventilation. It heats up a lot but I assume all laptops do, especially when playing games (some more than others).

Having said that, it's never stopped working. I've never had a BSOD or had to reinstall windows. I have confidence that I can save my work and turn it off, and it'll still work just as well tomorrow.
Last edited by sashki at Nov 20, 2012,
theres heat up like a normal laptop, then heating up like an hp laptop. if i put it on my lap id probably be unable to have kids after a half hour. thing gets ridiculously hot, even if you do manage to gt around the major design flaw and keep the thing propped up. it still gets way too hot. it gets insanely hot if you use it like a regular laptop, if i use it in bed it overheats because my blanket sometimes blocks the fan (unavoidable). either way i could save some serious money and just browse theinternet on my lptop when i go to bed instead of turnig on the heat during the winter. so thats a plus i suppose
If your looking for a laptop for general use and mixing, go with the macbook pro. Theres a reason that apple is the industry standard (compatibility mainly), you can get all major daws on it and most of the big names in the daw world were designed for mac to begin with. if you want windows as well you could always install it on there.
make sure to buy extra ram if you go with the macbook pro, you can buy like 16gb for 80-100 on amazon. trust me you will appreciate the extra ram on big mixes.

If you want a laptop to do everything under the sun id probably go with an asus as opposed to the alienware. Since they got taken over they have dipped in reliability (they used to break often now its just expecting something to go wrong the next time you start it), you can still get pro tools ableton and i think cubase on the windows format so there are big players in the daw scene there, their just a bit buggier from my own experience.
Quote by lespaul#1
Dr_Shred wins the thread

LEAVE THE PASTRIES ALONE!!!
Quote by purplexing
It's obvious that mac users buy them because of the software

Most Mac/Apple users I know buy it for the popularity/fashion statement.
Sincerely,
Shitstirrer
Quote by Horsedick.MPEG
Get Toshiba, they last really well.

this man knows his shit, listen to him.
or you can spend twice as much money to get a pretty case....
Quote by sashki

I have an HP atm, and it gets really, really hot. Plus, the build quality isn't the greatest and the battery life is ridiculously bad, especially compared to my sisters mac.

Also, I've narrowed it down to the 13" macbook air and the ASUS zenbook prime:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834230671

Alienware is pretty much out of the equation, I re-evaluated my priorities and I realized that I wanted something light and portable.
I suggest a Sinclair ZX81. I hear they're a new step into technology...
Harry Potter is DEAD! Ehhhhh heh heeehhhh!!!
-Voldemort
Quote by archenemyfan
Build my own laptop?!

You can custom order from ASUS, who makes much better quality for less than Alienware. If you want gaming power, check out their G series. Comparable prices for much more value.

I think you're tuning out the vast majority of other PC laptop makers because you think Alienware is a performance brand. There are plenty upon plenty of other laptop makers that will be better PCs for a better price. And yes, you can order them custom, or 'build it' online and order it.

Why would you be looking at the Mac, out of curiosity?

Instead of just throwing up two brands and letting people shitstorm, tell us what you want to use the computer for and how, then we'll be able to give you the best fit.

Personally, I'm a Vaio guy. I just bought a new Vaio about 2 months ago. My Vaio before that I bought in 2007. It's still alive, and still works just fine. I wanted the 3rd gen i7 and a Blu-Ray player, though. That's the only reason I switched, honestly. They're durable and fast. Dig 'em.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Last edited by JustRooster at Nov 20, 2012,