rokr258
UG Newbie
243 IQ
Has anyone here ever taken a 7-string guitar and instead of adding a lower B-string, added a higher A-string? I've been thinking about doing this and I'm wondering if there is some kind of standard technique for it.
jeleopard
Jackson Fanboy!
1,720 IQ
I'm not sure why you would do that, but yea, it's possible. Need something really small for the A, though....
Legion!
Original 1969 Fender Jazzmaster
Ibanez RG8
Jackson JS32R Dinky "Curry"
Schecter KM7
83 Gibson Explorer "Kimmy"
MiM Fender Jazz Bass "Pancho"
Ibanez SR485
Peavey 6505+ 112
Line 6 POD HD500
W4RP1G
Please, call me Pig.
2,847 IQ
Quote by rokr258
Has anyone here ever taken a 7-string guitar and instead of adding a lower B-string, added a higher A-string? I've been thinking about doing this and I'm wondering if there is some kind of standard technique for it.

It's been done before, but I'm not sure what you mean by standard technique. If you understand a bit of theory, you can figure out which notes go with which chords on your own.

Also, I know there are some string you can custom order for a high A, but I don't know from where. My buddy plays an 8 string with a low B and a high A, and he custom orders that string. I've heard of some guitarists using multiscale guitars(fanned fret) to make the high A work.

And I think I read that Steve Vai and George Lynch were trying to make the high A work many years ago, but that obviously didn't pan out.
jeleopard
Jackson Fanboy!
1,720 IQ
I'd put like a D'addario .007 on there...
Legion!
Original 1969 Fender Jazzmaster
Ibanez RG8
Jackson JS32R Dinky "Curry"
Schecter KM7
83 Gibson Explorer "Kimmy"
MiM Fender Jazz Bass "Pancho"
Ibanez SR485
Peavey 6505+ 112
Line 6 POD HD500
Macabre_Turtle
UG's UGer
640 IQ
Chris Letchfor of Scale The Summit tunes his 8 strings B-E-A-D-G-B-E-G or B-E-A-D-G-B-E-A. I don't believe he's found a way to make it really useful though since he releases his tab books for 7 strings.