BC_Warlock
UG Newbie
1,285 IQ
If anybody can give me any info about this i'd greatly appreciate it. I was given it as a gift from my neighbour. Sadly he doesn't live near me anymore so i can't find out anything from him. I'm not sure what wood it is, or how it plays (looks and feels too old to play, also i dont have an input lead that fits it.).

I'm after any info possible, make, age, what the switches do, Price?

I am sorry for large pictures. If this is a problem, i can provide a link to another website with the pictures on.
Sweet.
BC_Warlock
UG Newbie
1,285 IQ
Don't worry, i completely agree with you. It's the weirdness about it that makes it slightly more awesome than other basses,
Sweet.
z0d1ac
Techno Viking
133 IQ
MIDI bass?
Gear:
Ibanez BTB675
Ibanez GSR395
Rogue Warwick fretless
Electrovox 60W
Boss ME-50B
BC_Warlock
UG Newbie
1,285 IQ
I should probably add, the person who gave me this was a very old man, and he said he used to use it in a band a LONG time ago.
Sweet.
CJ Noble
WAHAHA~!
342 IQ
That hardware just screams Soviet.
1978 Peavey T-40 -> Ampeg Micro-VR - > Ampeg SVT210AV + Ampeg SVT-15E
anarkee
oh the horror!
3,136 IQ
Good call that does look alot like a Borisov Bass

EDIT:

This is another Borisov bass shot. Look familiar?

(Invalid img)

It also appears from digging through some other forums that your bass has some built in effects, either fuzz or phaser. You really need to plug that baby in and give it a try and report back!

As far as age, it probably dates from the 1980s. Here some more info from a page on Russian guitar manufacturers.

Belorussian factory of musical instruments, Borisov

Factory in Borisov started making electric guitars only in the 80's. Three models - Formanta, Solo-II and Bas-I were produced through the 80's and the last known guitars left the factory in 1992. The Borisov factory still exists, but they make acoustic guitars only.

There's some confusion with the model names. Formanta is also called Solo-II (see the manual), the bass is sometimes nicknamed Solo bass (because of the design resemblance and somewhat useless model name - "Bas-I", imagine having a car model named "Car-I") and Solo-II is often referred to as Solo. Actually, there was no Belorussian Solo-I or Solo model and we have no clue where "II" comes from. It's possible that "Solo" model existed (but we haven't seen it yet) and another possibility is that almost every Soviet guitar producer had "Solo" model so Borisov decided to distinguish their guitar from the rest of the pack.

The guitars feature loads of onboard effects and the same terrible playability as the other Soviet monsters. Solo-II even has a separate metal chassis inside the body with all the electronics which weighs almost as much as the guitar.
Last edited by anarkee at Nov 20, 2012,
Deliriumbassist
UG's only DB
2,389 IQ
Quote by Derickonfire
Whatever it is, it looks sexy as heck!

That's a balanced lead, too.. not sure what any of the switches do. You should get a cable and play it.

DINs aren't always balanced. Can't imagine a bass like that having balanced circuitry on board either. Would be dead useful to have in a studio if it did, though.
moody git
i probably won't commit
360 IQ
all.. the buttons... GIVE THEM TO ME.
on topic of things i want, midi output. i could have hours of fun with that.
on your acquisition
DONT RISK IT, BUY A BASS AMP
BC_Warlock
UG Newbie
1,285 IQ
Crazy, thanks for all the information guys.
Now to get the proper cable and see if this works.
Anybody know how much these basses go for nowadays?

EDIT:::

Where on earth can i get a cable like this?
Currently trying to find one that is 5 pin to jack so i can plug it into an amp, but all the info i'm getting (If any) is that i have to make one.
I appreciate your help so far, and would appreciate help with this subject also.
Sweet.
Last edited by BC_Warlock at Nov 21, 2012,
musicmanstinger
UG Senior Member
587 IQ
I am really intrigued by this Guitar, you could get something like this and an adaptor to try and play it with http://compare.ebay.co.uk/like/380345520899?var=lv&ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar&adtype=pla&crdt=0 . I cannot find a 5 pin XLR to a 1/4 inch jack anywhere.
Quote by Kendawg4TooL
You know you're a bassist when you think a guitar is just some freaky type of short scale, six string bass.

This is The Central Scrutinizer......
jjfeu662
Celestia
1,996 IQ
If you know anything about electronics you could buy a 1/4" jack, remove the current one and replace it, won't be all original but it will play.
Tomorrow will take us away
Far from home
No one will ever know our names
But the bards' songs will remain
Tomorrow will take it away
The fear of today
It will be gone
Due to our magic songs

ALL HAIL CELESTIA
jjfeu662
Celestia
1,996 IQ
Quote by BC_Warlock
^ Lets say i don't, how would one go about doing that? Or is that a google search?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nE9P67_E5N8
^Something like this^?
Far from home
The fear of today
It will be gone
Due to our magic songs

ALL HAIL CELESTIA
chatterbox272
1,237 IQ
But that jack likely has more than two wires for the output, so how would you go around soldering up to 6 wires to a 1/4" jack? even if you got a stereo one that's only 3.
jjfeu662
Celestia
1,996 IQ
Quote by chatterbox272
But that jack likely has more than two wires for the output, so how would you go around soldering up to 6 wires to a 1/4" jack? even if you got a stereo one that's only 3.

Google?
Far from home
The fear of today
It will be gone
Due to our magic songs

ALL HAIL CELESTIA
BC_Warlock
UG Newbie
1,285 IQ
Above link involves no soldering yes?

Could be the route i'll take! I'll be sure to let y'all know how it sounds (if it works!!) when i eventually get one of these cables.
Sweet.
Spanner93
333 IQ
Quote by Karl Marx
Reason has always existed, but not always in a reasonable form.
Spanner93
333 IQ
Well, I've hooked a guitar up to an old tube radio before. The circuit was the other way round though. The midi went in the back of the radio and the 6.5mm jack in the guitar, it worked fine (and broke nothing). I believe these cables are two way, so it should work just fine.
Quote by Karl Marx
Reason has always existed, but not always in a reasonable form.
CJ Noble
WAHAHA~!
342 IQ
Quote by BC_Warlock
If anyone can confirm if this would work?

I used to have a Ural that I connected to my amp with the same cable I posted
1978 Peavey T-40 -> Ampeg Micro-VR - > Ampeg SVT210AV + Ampeg SVT-15E