Hi... i want to know what are the main differences between the 2x12 and the 1x12 rectifier cabinets by Mesa...
I am going to buy a Mark V in the USA (i live in Brazil), at first i was thinking of the combo, but i read that the combo is not the best option for the JP tone that im looking for.
I need to transport it to my country so i wont buy the 4x12. Do u guys think that there is a huge difference between the sound of the 1x12 and the 2x12. Im going to play and record in my bedroom, and i dont have much space in there.
There is also the price, the 1x12 is 200 USD cheaper than the other one.
Which one should i go for??

Thanks
A 2x12 is going to be much heavier and sound a tad bigger.

Petrucci uses 4x12s and also runs two amps in stereo, so if you are going to try and spend thousands to nail his tone, it shouldn't really matter.
Quote by Dunning~Kruger
Yes I was rude, and I was aggressive and I was offending a large group of people. But I was civlized about it.

Taylor 414CE
Im not trying to nail his tone (i want to but its to expensive....) im just trying to get similar to it, cause in my opinion its the best ****ing tone ever...
I just want to know if i can do it with a 1x12 instead of a 2x12 or a 4x12
Yes, you can.
Quote by Dunning~Kruger
Yes I was rude, and I was aggressive and I was offending a large group of people. But I was civlized about it.

Taylor 414CE
just check the single speaker is rated for a high enough wattage
Quote by crownegamers
I saw in a couple of pictures that on Bucketheads Les Paul (only some pictures) that his neck pickup is painted in white. Can anyone explain to me why he would do this, and if there are any pros and cons.

Quote by dspellman
The guy wears a KFC Bucket and a white mask during performances, and you're interested in the color of his pickup covers?

Quote by Dave_Mc
just check the single speaker is rated for a high enough wattage

This

The Rectifier cabs use V30's, which are 60watts each, meaning that the 1x12 won't be able to handle the full power of the Mark V. You'll have to get the 2x12.

Plus, if you want to sit your head on the cab like most guitarists do, you'll need the 2x12 for it to be big enough. I realize that probably isn't your number 1 priority here, but it certainly is something to consider.

Even with those things aside, I would get the 2x12 anyway. I think 1x12's just kinda sound boxy and small in comparison, although 2x12's tend to sound boxy compared to 4x12's.
if you really care to learn a bunch of BS about multiple speaker cabs and what difference it can play:

http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/gumbilicious/blog/110903/

it boils down to: more speakers = more volume and low end. if you wanna compare a 2x12 to a 1x12 directly, then that is the conclusion you come to.

there are other splash consequences like
-given the same speakers a 2x12 will be able to handle more power from an amp, giving the speakers more headroom
-you are able to mix and match speakers in a 2x12 to customize tones
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Last edited by gumbilicious at Nov 21, 2012,
I read that, and it was pretty interesting, although I would say that there are likely even more variables than you listed in terms of the phase. I'm too tired to list them at the moment, but if you honestly want to hear, I can type them out later, if you want.
Quote by Blktiger0
I read that, and it was pretty interesting, although I would say that there are likely even more variables than you listed in terms of the phase. I'm too tired to list them at the moment, but if you honestly want to hear, I can type them out later, if you want.

i tried to limit the blog to the assumptions of a near field (a super simple acoustic environment) and the aspects of phasing that deals with mutual coupling. but if you have more info, i am always ready to learn more.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
MKV is 90w.

Make sure the can you get is higher.

The combo is heavy as hell. 100lbs.

I must say even the combo will get you close enough to his sound. Personally I would get a 2x12 closed backed. Even if you get the 1x12 make sure to get a closed back.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
See, it's important that people clarify when they say "metal", because I pretty much always assume they are a Cannibal Corpse fanboi.
Quote by Blktiger0
This

The Rectifier cabs use V30's, which are 60watts each, meaning that the 1x12 won't be able to handle the full power of the Mark V. You'll have to get the 2x12.

Plus, if you want to sit your head on the cab like most guitarists do, you'll need the 2x12 for it to be big enough. I realize that probably isn't your number 1 priority here, but it certainly is something to consider.

Even with those things aside, I would get the 2x12 anyway. I think 1x12's just kinda sound boxy and small in comparison, although 2x12's tend to sound boxy compared to 4x12's.

+1 to all of this.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Don't be prepared to learn more, this is all speculation on my part.

I was thinking that with the frequencies reflecting off of the insides of the 4x12, that could cause some phasing as well. Whether that actually makes a difference in sound, being that it's mostly contained in the cabinet, I don't really know.

Another thing I could think of would be room acoustics, but with the same concerns as the above.

One thing I wondered about was whether this would vary from speaker design to speaker design, even assuming that they're loaded into the same spots in the same cabinet, etc.

I could swear I had more in mind, but I can't think of them now (of course)

A question I have is: What if you were to make a cabinet where the was a speaker directly behind the speaker in front of it? Basically, if you were to cut the front half of cabinet off and attach it to the front of a cabinet with the same specs. The idea would be to have a speaker behind each other speaker to kinda "spoon" it. Also, if doing this, what would be the reprecussions of having the speakers held in place by a ring around them that they're bolted to that has pieces extending up, down, and to each side, then making the rest of the area out of speaker cloth for the front set of speakers, then having the back set have a solid area around them like normal? Would that offer any kind of phase advantage? Obviously, that's a lot of extra shit to go through to attempt to squeeze a few more decibels of sound out, but it might be more efficientsince the speakers would be closer together than when they're side-by-side, but with the speed of sound being a constant through the air it would be traveling through, it might just not phase at all, I really don't know.

Like I said, don't be too hopeful of learning a damn thing from this
The Mark V head is rather small compared to standard heads and should easily fit on top of a 1x12 cab. You would be paying a heavy price to get a loaded 2x12 shipped overseas.

If I was you, I would buy the combo and replace the C90 with a Celestion G12K-100.
Quote by Dunning~Kruger

Taylor 414CE
Mesa has wide body 1x12 cabs. You could get a closed back one of those and save some money. The head would sit perfectly.

http://www.mesaboogie.com/Product_Info/Guitar%20Cabinets/COMPACTcabs/Widebody-ClosedBack-1x12-LG.htm

This is what I am talking about.

Also for a quick lesson on dialing in the amp.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i24e8icZG1o

And you will find you'll need to turn the gain up past what he has in the video. Generally the lower the volume the more gain you will need. As you turn up you can really roll the gain back. Very clear amp even with the gain max.

I love mine.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
See, it's important that people clarify when they say "metal", because I pretty much always assume they are a Cannibal Corpse fanboi.
Last edited by R45VT at Nov 22, 2012,
I guess I forgot that those heads were smaller, good point.

I didn't know they made such a thing. That's pretty neat, although I wonder what the sound difference is between the three (2x12, 1x12, 1x12wide)
combo w/open back... ok, 1x12 closed better, 2x12 even better, 4x12 best....

Icronic has one or two of the 1x12 wide bodies. They aren't as good as the 2x12.

Any of them will get the TS close enough to sounds like Petrucci.

I have the combo and the first thing I noticed after getting home was the sound reflecting off the wall behind it. I am used to it now but coming from a closed 4x12 it was a difference
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What is the point of the wide 1x12? I thought the only reason to get a 1x12 is physical space and/or money. I mean tonally... more speakers is always going to be better.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
What is the point of the wide 1x12? I thought the only reason to get a 1x12 is physical space and/or money. I mean tonally... more speakers is always going to be better.

It's the same width as the MKV. For picky people? 2x12 is better.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
Quote by R45VT

I didn't see this earlier.

The Lord Petrucci has spoken.

Now, /thread, lest we anger our God!

Honestly, I think he is one of the musicians I would like to meet the most. He just seems like such a nice, friendly, down-to-earth guy, which is insane, considering he is, without a doubt, within the top 5 greatest guitarists of all time. Honestly, I put him at #1, but that's a personal thing. I know a lot of people would preach Chris Broderick in that position, but I prefer JP. I recently disvoered a band called Sylosis, though, and their vocalist/lead guitarist is pretty impressive. Also, I have to mention Alexi Laiho here.
Last edited by Blktiger0 at Nov 22, 2012,
I hate Broderick, Petrucci and Laiho. They do absolutely nothing for me. Come at me.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Blktiger0
I didn't see this earlier.

The Lord Petrucci has spoken.

Now, /thread, lest we anger our God!

Honestly, I think he is one of the musicians I would like to meet the most. He just seems like such a nice, friendly, down-to-earth guy, which is insane, considering he is, without a doubt, within the top 5 greatest guitarists of all time. Honestly, I put him at #1, but that's a personal thing. I know a lot of people would preach Chris Broderick in that position, but I prefer JP. I recently disvoered a band called Sylosis, though, and their vocalist/lead guitarist is pretty impressive. Also, I have to mention Alexi Laiho here.

I have met Petrucci a few times at concerts, very nice and humble guy, and very softspoken. He probably would be a little more outspoken if met outside of a venue, but he seems like he would carry that type of personality everywhere. I'd love to go to one of his clinics sometime, but there is countless videos of him helping aspiring guitarists out. He is on the top of my list just for this reason. I never wanted to try and nail his tone, but I know how to play a lot of his stuff. We actually have similar playing styles, and that was something that I discovered later on. Pretty cool.

Anyways, not to thread jack, but yeah.
Quote by Dunning~Kruger

Taylor 414CE
I wish I could play legato like he does. I'm just not the greatest legato player. I actually use a good bit of both, but the more extreme legato is not my forte. Also, sweeps are my Achiles Heel.

My top three guitar influences are JP, Zakk Wylde, and Slash. I know the latter two are very cliche to most people, but I appreciate Zakk's soloing, fills, and lack of Sweeps while still being ****ing awesome. It gives me inspiration that if I never do get sweeps down, I can still survive In addition, Zakk's Wah technique is epic.

For Slash, it's the feel he puts into his stuff, plus GnR has always just been a huge influence on my life in general. Again, wah use here is amazing, but Zakk beats Slash. Excellent fusion of Blues and Rock.

With JP, he's everything I want to be as a lead guitarist. Blazing speed, unrivaled composition, out-of-the-box writing, stellar tone, but not an asshole about any of it.

I mean, I have hundereds of influences, but those are the three biggest. It's mostly soloing stuff because I'm quite happy with my Rhythm abilities, although I'm by no means the best.

I've been bad about thread-jacking lately. Generally, though, the question gets answered and THEN I tangent, so I guess that's my justification
Blktiger0 i totally agree with u.. I met john in a hotel here in Sao Paulo, Brazil he is very friendly, i actually call him a humble god. In my opinion he is as well the best guitarist of all times.
BTW check out a band called Bad Salad, its a very cool progressive metal band from my country.
Quote by R45VT

I think that one's maybe a bit out of date

this one's better

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7sej4qZ6-Fs

Quote by crownegamers
I saw in a couple of pictures that on Bucketheads Les Paul (only some pictures) that his neck pickup is painted in white. Can anyone explain to me why he would do this, and if there are any pros and cons.

Quote by dspellman
The guy wears a KFC Bucket and a white mask during performances, and you're interested in the color of his pickup covers?

Quote by Offworld92
I hate Broderick, Petrucci and Laiho. They do absolutely nothing for me. Come at me.

And nice video Dave.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
Quote by Blktiger0

I've been bad about thread-jacking lately. Generally, though, the question gets answered and THEN I tangent, so I guess that's my justification

As long as TS is helped, that's the most important thing, but this *is* still a forum/discussion site.

My top 3 influences I think are Mark Morton (Lamb of God), Dean Herrera (The Human Abstract) and Anders Nystrom (Bloodbath). It's hard to say because I don't really watch any "how to plays" or clinics or anything like that... I don't really follow players. Those are three which just kind of stand out to me as having a similar sort of style I do when I play/write.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by R45VT

And nice video Dave.

Quote by crownegamers

Quote by dspellman

Quote by Dave_Mc

You sir are a one upper.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
hehe
Quote by crownegamers

Quote by dspellman

Quote by Offworld92
Anders Nystrom (Bloodbath).

Ibanez RG652KFX Prestige
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Quote by Blktiger0
Mark is in my top 5 influences. Well, him/Willie. LoG is my shit.

Dave, I didn't watch the video, but is that the amazing voiced-over one? I love that video....it never gets old

I still haven't watched it for fear of shred-death.
Quote by Dunning~Kruger

Taylor 414CE
Quote by Blktiger0

Dave, I didn't watch the video, but is that the amazing voiced-over one? I love that video....it never gets old

yup that's the one

i remember the guy who did it used to be a regular/semi-regular on UG. he was pretty funny. I think (IIRC) he was from northern ireland, too.
Quote by crownegamers

Quote by dspellman

I swear to god, I quote that thing on a regular basis, especially any time JP is brought up. (See:Me calling him God earlier)

I wish I could find that guy and give him a solid gold telephone or something for being that awesome.
Quote by crownegamers

Quote by dspellman

I like the standard Recto 2x12. A friend of mine uses one to great effect.
Quote by Skraeling86
That's a lot of booze. Frankly, I'm impressed. You're of a stronger timber than the average man, jimbob! Hail you.

Quote by Bubban
Yes you should go to a doctor, fucking moron. We can't do anything about your hemorrhoid.

I have the Recto 2x12 and Widebody 1x12s. I've loaded with 1x12s with V30s because I'm not a big fan of the sound of the stock MC90s. If the OP is going for a Petrucci thing he's going to want V30s.

The 2x12 Recto is fuller sounding. More top and bottom with a bit of a scoop in the mids.

There's two 1x12 Widebodies; an open back and a closed back/front ported.

- The open back produces lots of midrange... not a lot of top or bottom. More open/less light than a closed back cab. Kind of boxy sounding. It's basically the same sound as the combo. Better for a more classic sound than metal.

- The front ported is scooped. Produces some thump but has to be loud before it really gets going. The low end isn't very deep... it cuts off at a higher frequency than the Recto 2x12. It's great for live music where a bassist fills in the bottom... not so great for playing at home.

Long story short, the OP will probably be happier with the Recto 2x12.
Last edited by some_dude_2 at Nov 26, 2012,