Page 3 of 8
Some people are really stuck up/snobby/elitist :/
Quote by DonGlover

You look like a young Eugene Levy, but with a moustache.

Quote by slapsymcdougal
Quote by Dreadnought
Kicking a man when he's down, I'm proud of you

When they're down is the safest time.

Soundcloud
Sharks Stanley Cup 15-16
Sharks Stanley Cup 16-17,,,,?
A7X is awesome. don't listen to them as much as i used to a few years ago but every once in awhile i love to listen to a few songs by them. i never understood the hate either, i guess it's mostly elitist pricks who don't listen to anything outside the big four bands and black metal who hate them.

She's so pretty in her casts
The prettiest thing I've ever seen
I only get to hold her when she's injured
I only get to kiss her where she's sore
Quote by skylerjames13
Some people are really stuck up/snobby/elitist :/

Quote by pwnadgebunny
i guess it's mostly elitist pricks who don't listen to anything outside the big four bands and black metal who hate them.

Sillyness.
Quote by Slayer35
I used to hate Avenged Sevenfold, but I decided to give them another chance and I realized the guitarists are two very gifted musicians, along with the singer, so my question to you all, why do you think people give this band such hate?

You can sorta make a case for one (but not really) but Zacky 'gifted'? How'd you arrive at this conclusion?
Check out my band Disturbed
Quote by goest
Sillyness.

no u r silly gotse
Quote by DonGlover

Quote by slapsymcdougal
Quote by Dreadnought

Soundcloud
Sharks Stanley Cup 15-16
Quote by goest
ಠ_ಠ !

gotse wut r u doin gotse
Quote by DonGlover

Quote by slapsymcdougal
Quote by Dreadnought

Soundcloud
Sharks Stanley Cup 15-16
Me? I have nothing against their musicianship or playing ability. Especially the guitarists. I think they do indeed get much more hate than what they deserve.

However, their music is just awful. I mean, some of their older stuff was alright, but more recently they've gained a very "poppified" metal sound, like the OTT attempt to appeal to the mainstream. It's just awful.

And yes, their fans are annoying as shit as well, though that doesn't have much to do with the band themselves.
used to like them

now i really dislike that genre of music

They have some cool songs, some bad songs. My biggest problem with them is they use any combination of

|---------------
|---------------
|---------------
|---------------
|-0--3--5--6--
|-0--3--5--6--

waaaaay too fucking much.
I used to be a huge fan, now I just enjoy them every now and then (only the self titled for the most part). I don't thin they get that much hate to be honest. There are a few 'snob's but for the most part it's people who genuinely don't like it and keep it to themselves. A lot of the fans bring the hate onto themselves.
Because people think its cool to hate bands and talk constantly about how much they hate them.

Reasonably talented musicians, and they do have some genuinely good songs.

But their fanbase..... 'A7X r the best band in the world everrrr xDDDDDDD and all other bands suck compared to them. i love syn gates z0mg' ..... *shudder*

Shame that the Rev died, he was a talented guy.
RIP Tom Searle.
Quote by raoooos
gifted musicians =/= good music

and gifted is pushing it

Proof is Paul Gilbert.

Crazy amazing guitar player. Despite having like 10 albums he has like what, 3 good songs?
Quote by MetalGS3SE
This is the best idea I have ever heard. Ever.

Naedauuf for president people.

I mean they're completely irrelevant now, so it doesn't matter. This is literally the first time I've heard their name since I was in middle school 5 or 6 years ago.

I'll give you some insight to why I dislike them though.

-They're uninspired and unoriginal metalcore with nothing special to offer. They give an even worse name to a genre people hate because it has core in the name. There's good metalcore and deathcore out there like Misery Signals, Every Time I Die, and Botch. Popular bands like Avenged Sevenfold and Escape the Fate, who hardly should be classified in the genre, give it a bad reputation.

-They couldn't try harder to be Pantera (who an obscenely overrated band), right down to their "attitude". Their guitarists sound like they've only ever listened to Dimebag Darrel play and their singer has an unappealing and annoying voice. Their lyrics are stupidly shallow no matter how hard they try to be deep and dark.

-They wear the confederate flag because their marketing ploy tells them to. They try to make it out as "cool" and rebellious. This same flag that stood for hate and slavery. I don't understand why people should be ok with it.

Those are a couple of the reasons I dislike them. Some might share my opinion.
I'm the same as I was when I was six years old
And oh my god I feel so damn old
I don't really feel anything
Last edited by StreetLight3989 at Nov 21, 2012,
Their fan base are horrible. But I'm a fan to be honest. They're great musicians and they don't deserve the hate they get. Yeah I'm not a fan of Shadow's voice, but I got used to it.

Also the way they dress and their stage names are hardly a "gimmick". It's not like Slipknots Mask's or W.A.S.P or anything like that. They used to dress stupid (but not as much anymore) and their names aren't what they rely on.

I wouldn't say they look ridiculous to be honest.
Quote by Thrill-house
Their old albums are the best.

You should have posted the long version, where the singer sounds like he's deaf at the beginning(cracks me up everytime I hear it):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ocXzy0wEmI
Last edited by W4RP1G at Nov 21, 2012,
We never actually had this massive wave of people obsessing over them here. Yeah, they got real popular but nothing like this fanbase you're all referring to.
In a nutshell, different people have different opinions. Some people like them and become annoying in their fanboyism. Some people dislike them and become unnecessarily huge assholes about it.

IMO, they're pretty good at what they do, which is making accessible, fairly radio-friendly "metal". In my late teens I was a pretty big fan of the band, but my tastes have changed since so I haven't really listened to them much in the past 4 years or so.

Here's my honest, objective opinion on Avenged Sevenfold (both pros and cons):

-- Waking the Fallen and City of Evil are their best albums (CoE gets my nod as their best, and it easily features their best guitar work to date). The self titled album is not far behind those, but not quite as good. As far as their more recent stuff goes, I'm not as much into it. It's kind of hit and miss with me.

-- Synyster Gates is a very good guitarist. Is he in the same tier as someone like Guthrie Govan or Paul Gilbert? Hell No. But, he is a skilled player. He gets vastly overrated by the fanboys and the detractors of the band underrate him due to their hate for the band.

-- Their image (which by the way is no where near as "glam" these days) is generally either loved or hated. Personally, I don't really care either way. The stage names also carry a cheese-factor along with them.

-- The thing I respect most about them is that unlike many commercially successful modern rock acts, they don't churn out the same album over and over again. Each album is pretty noticeably different from the last. I can respect a band that takes chances and makes the music they want to make. That being said, their past two albums (s/t & Nightmare) have had more of a radio-friendly touch than their first three, but still have their own unique qualities.

-- Overall, they have done a lot of good for the metal world in the fact that they have served as a gateway band into heavier music for a lot of listeners. City of Evil and Waking the Fallen were exactly that for me; albums that introduced me to modern "metal". From there, I went on to discover some of my favorite bands, such as Opeth, Protest the Hero, and a number of other metal and progressive acts that I might not have discovered otherwise. A lot of the younger folks who are big A7X fans now, especially those who are musicians, will likely move on to listening to heavier or more technical bands.

-- A final observation: Avenged Sevenfold (mainly Synyster Gates) has probably made more kids want to learn how to play guitar than just about any other band that has surfaced in the past decade.
Quote by Zeppelin71
Umm. . .uh. . .your mom touched sjones' dick. YOUR MOM TOUCHED OUR GUITARISTS GENITALS IN A CAMPER AT A BIKER FESTIVAL! truth.
Quote by sjones
In a nutshell, different people have different opinions. Some people like them and become annoying in their fanboyism. Some people dislike them and become unnecessarily huge assholes about it.

IMO, they're pretty good at what they do, which is making accessible, fairly radio-friendly "metal". In my late teens I was a pretty big fan of the band, but my tastes have changed since so I haven't really listened to them much in the past 4 years or so.

Here's my honest, objective opinion on Avenged Sevenfold (both pros and cons):

-- Waking the Fallen and City of Evil are their best albums (CoE gets my nod as their best, and it easily features their best guitar work to date). The self titled album is not far behind those, but not quite as good. As far as their more recent stuff goes, I'm not as much into it. It's kind of hit and miss with me.

-- Synyster Gates is a very good guitarist. Is he in the same tier as someone like Guthrie Govan or Paul Gilbert? Hell No. But, he is a skilled player. He gets vastly overrated by the fanboys and the detractors of the band underrate him due to their hate for the band.

-- Their image (which by the way is no where near as "glam" these days) is generally either loved or hated. Personally, I don't really care either way. The stage names also carry a cheese-factor along with them.

-- The thing I respect most about them is that unlike many commercially successful modern rock acts, they don't churn out the same album over and over again. Each album is pretty noticeably different from the last. I can respect a band that takes chances and makes the music they want to make. That being said, their past two albums (s/t & Nightmare) have had more of a radio-friendly touch than their first three, but still have their own unique qualities.

-- Overall, they have done a lot of good for the metal world in the fact that they have served as a gateway band into heavier music for a lot of listeners. City of Evil and Waking the Fallen were exactly that for me; albums that introduced me to modern "metal". From there, I went on to discover some of my favorite bands, such as Opeth, Protest the Hero, and a number of other metal and progressive acts that I might not have discovered otherwise. A lot of the younger folks who are big A7X fans now, especially those who are musicians, will likely move on to listening to heavier or more technical bands.

-- A final observation: Avenged Sevenfold (mainly Synyster Gates) has probably made more kids want to learn how to play guitar than just about any other band that has surfaced in the past decade.

Agreed 100%, especially the last part. He was the reason I picked up a Guitar.
RIP Tom Searle.
ya
Quote by korinaflyingv
On the come up we were listening to Grateful Dead and the music started passing through my bowel and out my arsehole as this violet stream of light. I shat music. It was beautiful.
Quote by Random3
Please tell me that song is either a demo or a b-side or something

It sounds like one of those videos where they replace the audio with something they made themselves that is purposely awful.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
cause theyre horribad and nu/emo metal blows
Quote by Mr E Meat
cause theyre horribad and nu/emo metal blows

These guys have nothing to do with emo.
Quote by blake1221

Or nu metal.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
True. But when some of your genre staples are Linkin Park and Limp Bizkit, is it really worth defending?
Well of course not. But if somebody is going to hate on something, they should at least have somewhat of a clue about what they are talking about. No, that's no good at all, I can't post that.

When some of your genre staples are dying your hair black, crying about how terrible it is to be an upper middle class citizen in a first world country, and cutting yourself all the time, is it really worth defending?

I never understood the hate for them. Good, not great, team of guitarists, a very solid and underrated bassist, and "The Rev" was a really really good drummer. Then of course you get Portnoy for their last album, and from what I understand this new guy is in the same class as the Rev.

I was never a huge huge fan of these guys but they're a solid band with a couple of pretty good songs so there's no reason to really hate on them
Quote by theogonia777
Well of course not. But if somebody is going to hate on something, they should at least have somewhat of a clue about what they are talking about. No, that's no good at all, I can't post that.

Quote by blake1221

im sorry progressive technical emocoremetalternative

do i get a cookie for knowing which flavor of shit this smells like
I can`t hate on them, they`re one of the bands that got me into music.
Just like how I`ll never make fun of paramore. (Don`t judge me.)

But pretty much bandwagon is the answer to their hate.
One of the third friendliest users
Stratkat's pet

Quote by Momentosis
Void is a wanker that's why

Last edited by FireFromTheVoid at Nov 21, 2012,