Page 5 of 8
Quote by Ian_the_fox
Ready to have buried alive ruined for you? It's a ripoff of this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FKxAPQXR7iU

As for the second part, yeah I know those dudes exactly. Can't stand them or their enormous guitar egos. I'd love to swing every one of their little B.C. Rich Warlocks right into the backs of their Fedora-covered heads and crack their skulls open so I can watch them collapse to the ground.

Yes, because no band ever has ever put this:

A|-2-22-2-22-2-2-2-22-2-22-2-2-2-22-2-22-2-2-2-22-2-22-2-2--------------|
D|-2-22-2-22-2-2-2-22-2-22-2-2-2-22-2-22-2-2-2-22-2-22-2-2--------------|

In a song before.
Quote by Shotgunmerc
I'd put the Rev as above average even in today's metal scene. Inb4ignorant, but if you play metal and you're in Drop D or Drop C, I almost feel obligated to take a point or two off of your overall skill level. Syn Gates and whatever the other guy's name is (Zacky Vengeance?) aren't particularly creative, but this isn't prog metal in any way, it's just modern metal.

I don't listen to too much Black/Death/Power metal so I can't speak for the level of musicianship in those categories. With Thrash, I think it depends on the band. I would take the Rev over Ben Carter of Evile for example, but Ol Drake (also of Evile) is easily better than Gates.

I wouldn't be so quick to take a group of music and immediately assume that anyone who plays it is better than the boys in A7X. Metallica is considered a thrash band and I don't think anyone in this thread would even troll about Lars being better than the Rev

1. Don't Syn and Zack play in Drop D?
2. Why? I've never understood how de-tuning your guitar makes you less of a musician.
Quote by goest
2. Why? I've never understood how de-tuning your guitar makes you less of a musician.

That's what I don't understand about the people who hate them. They call fans of the band names for liking something so "terrible" and then they say something stupid like that.
Quote by Thrill-house
That's what I don't understand about the people who hate them. They call fans of the band names for liking something so "terrible" and then they say something stupid like that.

1. I'm so sorry you've had to put up with so much shit in your life. Name calling really is the worst thing ever.

2. I still await a reasonable answer to my question.
Most celtic guitarists tune to Drop-D, and they're generally better than <insert generic rock/metal guitarist here>.
Quote by Morphogenesis26
Most celtic guitarists tune to Drop-D, and they're generally better than <insert generic rock/metal guitarist here>.

Most of them are quite technical and know how to play with a great deal of feeling.
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
Most of them are quite technical and know how to play with a great deal of feeling.

The celtic guitarists? Yes, and that's why I posted that.

For the generic rock/metal guitarists? Usually the generic ones are pretty average, but I'm not getting into an argument over what kind of guitarist is better. All I'm saying is that there is absolutely nothing wrong with playing in a Drop-Tuning.
Devin Townsend uses open major tunings exclusively. Ergo, both standard and drop tunings are for scrubs. Quod erat demonstratum. Go CGCGCE or go home, and take all the inferior music created by you sub-humans with your sub-human tunings with you.
Quote by Shotgunmerc
Inb4ignorant, but if you play metal and you're in Drop D or Drop C, I almost feel obligated to take a point or two off of your overall skill level.
Jari Mäenpää.

Have a good day.
Oh geez, is this going to turn into an open and drop tuning thread?
Quote by W4RP1G

No, because New Standard Tuning is better than both, bitch!
Quote by crazysam23_Atax

The concept of "playing with feeling" is a load of bullshit though, unless you're some sort of musical robot.

Quote by W4RP1G

Yes. Open tunings and fifths tunings are obviously the best. And I'm not just saying that because I play banjo, fiddle, mando, and lap steel and therefore clearly biased. Or maybe I am saying that because of that? Whatever makes me look better I guess. I'm right either way, so I don't really care why I'm saying it. It's just true.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by goest
1. I'm so sorry you've had to put up with so much shit in your life. Name calling really is the worst thing ever.

2. I still await a reasonable answer to my question.

1 Yes the majority of their stuff is in drop d.

2 My guitar teacher told me people say that because it makes it seem like you're trying to take the easy way out.
Quote by Thrill-house
1 Yes the majority of their stuff is in drop d.

2 My guitar teacher told me people say that because it makes it seem like you're trying to take the easy way out.

Nah. It's good shit.
Quote by Thrill-house

Regardless of whether it's taking the easy way out or not (and I'm not gonna lean either way), there's absolutely nothing wrong with making things easier when it comes to music. In fact, it makes sense to make things as easy to play as possible, since making it harder to play doesn't make the exact same thing sound any better. Working smarter, not harder, nahmean?
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by W4RP1G
Drop tunings are for faggy metaltards!

I've decided to abstain from wacking you over the head.

Quote by Ian_the_fox
Drop B# is the best tuning hands down.

What gauge of strings?
Last edited by crazysam23_Atax at Nov 21, 2012,
Quote by W4RP1G
Drop tunings are for faggy metaltards!

hey

thats offensive to metaltards
Left.
Treble
Snare
Quote by goest

They play in Drop D, yes.

I de-tune my guitar as well; I play in Standard D. In the context of modern metal, I have yet to hear any band use a Drop tuning specifically in a creative way other than for easy access to power chords.

For example:

Most Mastodon songs are in Standard D, and the band has a very distinctive sound; ie you couldn't just cut and paste most of their riffs into another band's music. With A7X (and other similarly styled bands), their riffs are just generic. It's not interesting, and that is why I take points off. Killswitch Engage is another band you could include in this argument, as some of their riffs are pretty unoriginal, although in Drop C.

This is my opinion of course, so I can't speak for anyone else who dislikes Drop tunings. I imagine that their reasoning is somewhat similar though.
Low hat

Quote by Shotgunmerc
They play in Drop D, yes.

I de-tune my guitar as well; I play in Standard D. In the context of modern metal, I have yet to hear any band use a Drop tuning specifically in a creative way other than for easy access to power chords.

Didn't you say that you don't really listen to modern metal though?
Last edited by theogonia777 at Nov 21, 2012,
Dat ass
Quote by theogonia777
Didn't you say that you don't really listen to modern metal though?

I thought I had said I don't really listen to Black/Death/Power metal

Although it might be true based on how you define modern metal. I have spurts where I listen to all kinds of Warped Tour esque music (particuarly The Word Alive), but I wouldn't really put them in the same group as A7X.