I've been playing for 6 years and i'm ashamed to admit i've never owned any pedals. I always got away with my current amp but i need to expand now. I've read many sites talking about distortion pedals but i still don't feel like they've targeted me and helped me find what i need.

Artists I listen to/want to sound more like include Protest The Hero, The Flatliners, Title Fight. Stuff like that, and if it works with modern metal that'd be great too.

I hope to be getting an ISP Decimator soon and a distortion pedal is pretty damn important. Hell, maybe i'm really looking for an overdrive pedal and i don't know it, but i don't think that's right.

If I'm missing anything, let me know. Any help is appreciated.
current amp and guitar?
RG351DX - Bridge Dragonfire Screamer, Mid+Neck Fender Hot Noiseless
Peavey Valveking 112 - Eminence GB128
AMT E1 > Joyo AC Tone > Dan'o EQ > Shimverb > Digidelay
Quote by tas38
current amp and guitar?

Oh yeah, sorry. I have a Schecter Hellraiser C-1 and use one of two amps: a Crate GFX-212T 120w, and a Marshall MG100FX.
You're about to get a flood of "What you really need is a new amp"

Anyway, I'd say the AMT P-drive is worth a look.
RG351DX - Bridge Dragonfire Screamer, Mid+Neck Fender Hot Noiseless
Peavey Valveking 112 - Eminence GB128
AMT E1 > Joyo AC Tone > Dan'o EQ > Shimverb > Digidelay
TS, legitimately I am not wanting to start a fight with anyone, but it will probably ensue, so be warned. I don't think that you should grab pedals quite yet, as their is a strong chance your amp is the source of your tone disappointment, and a good distortion pedal, ever how good, probably is not going to help. I would recommend saving for a new amp, or if you wanted to get a jump start for ideas, start a new amp thread.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
Yeah, i know I don't plan on keeping it for long anyway. But i'll check that one out, thanks.
Quote by dementiacaptain
TS, legitimately I am not wanting to start a fight with anyone, but it will probably ensue, so be warned. I don't think that you should grab pedals quite yet, as their is a strong chance your amp is the source of your tone disappointment, and a good distortion pedal, ever how good, probably is not going to help. I would recommend saving for a new amp, or if you wanted to get a jump start for ideas, start a new amp thread.

I definitely thought about that. The MG falls completely under that category, but the Crate isn't nearly as bad, but maybe i just have limited experience with amps. I have thought about selling them both off to save up, but that sounded time consuming. But if it really is beneficial, it shouldn't matter i suppose.
While I agree the Crate isn't as bad, it ain't great either. Putting a pedal through either one of those will probably leave you feeling disappointed, like you wasted your money, when in fact it isn't the pedal's fault at all. I have done this before, if you can't tell.
Good point. I'd rather start off with good sound than go into something like this risking it. I'll take your words of wisdom and use them.
Good on you man. I can definitely recommend starting a "what amp?" thread. There is a sticky at the top of the GGnA homepage that has a list of info we need. Start a new thread and fill that stuff out (be as specific as you feel comfortable being, it helps, I swear!) if you want some suggestions, we can find something for you to start saving for.
Well, if you really need another source of tone to hold you until you get a new amp, Danelectro FAB Metal; it's only $15 bucks and sounds marginally better than an MT-2. Plus it's not a ton of money thrown at nothing.

But yeah, you really need a good amp.
The other guys have covered what I was going to say. Start a new thread, and give us all of the information listed here:

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1387138

Then, we'll have you well on your way to better tone and a happier amp experience
Despite how shitty they sound, you can probably get a decent amount of coin for those two amps. I'd guess at least $100 a piece, possibly more. Sell those, add that cash to what you wanted to spend on a pedal and you're on your way to a decent amp. For a decent amp I'd say you want to spend at least $400, and you definitely want to go used.

Where in MD are you? I'm out towards Frederick.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by tubetime86
Despite how shitty they sound, you can probably get a decent amount of coin for those two amps. I'd guess at least $100 a piece, possibly more. Sell those, add that cash to what you wanted to spend on a pedal and you're on your way to a decent amp. For a decent amp I'd say you want to spend at least $400, and you definitely want to go used.

Where in MD are you? I'm out towards Frederick.

He could definitely get more than $100 each. I got $40 for my MG30 by taking it to a Pawn Shop. He could easily get more than that. I wouldn't take a dime under $150 for the MG, although you might be able to get $200 if you sell it to someone else. The Crate you MIGHT be able to squeeze $200 out of it, but it's more likely you'll be able to get $125 - $175.