AdamGM
43 IQ
Greetings all,

I'm looking to pick up a new electric.

If I were to ask for a guitar that would be suitable for both bluesy music as well as slightly heavier stuff such as Trans Siberian Orchestra covers, what would you recommend?

I've been out of the electric guitar scene for a while. I find the massive range of prices from some companies very daunting. What's your minimum price for a "worthwhile" guitar? i.e. When Gibson make guitars from $400-$5000, where do you draw a line as a player?

Finally, some friends have mentioned brands to me that I wasn't aware of. Anyone have any experiences with Hofner, Reverend or Agile?

Many thanks!
T00DEEPBLUE
Boba FRETT
2,270 IQ
Quote by AdamGM
Greetings all,

I'm looking to pick up a new electric.

If I were to ask for a guitar that would be suitable for both bluesy music as well as slightly heavier stuff such as Trans Siberian Orchestra covers, what would you recommend?

There are so many guitars out there than can do this it's impossible to say. It all depends on what you want out of the guitar.
Quote by AdamGM

I've been out of the electric guitar scene for a while. I find the massive range of prices from some companies very daunting. What's your minimum price for a "worthwhile" guitar? i.e. When Gibson make guitars from $400-$5000, where do you draw a line as a player?

I draw the line when there isn't a single detail on the guitar that i do not like, money no object. If i find a guitar that i absolutely love but it's $5000, i'll make an effort to get it if i want one badly enough.
Quote by AdamGM

Finally, some friends have mentioned brands to me that I wasn't aware of. Anyone have any experiences with Hofner, Reverend or Agile?

Many thanks!

Hofner and Reverend are generally good guitars for many kinds of players. Agile are generally guitars that have decent features but the prices in the US are stupidly low.
Quote by Axelfox
Please understand how little we as a community care
AdamGM
43 IQ
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
There are so many guitars out there than can do this it's impossible to say. It all depends on what you want out of the guitar.

Well, that is what I want out of it (I'm simultaneously asking if that is possible).
T00DEEPBLUE
Boba FRETT
2,270 IQ
Quote by AdamGM
Well, that is what I want out of it (I'm simultaneously asking if that is possible).

You're not getting a useful response because you're not giving enough information. Have you read the stickies yet?
Quote by Axelfox
Please understand how little we as a community care
krehzeekid
Me like guitars
316 IQ
we need to know what you're actual budget is, what current gear you have (especially your amp), what guitars you've played (did you like them? why or why not?), artists you like, tones you like, willingness to go used, quality of local market and where you live.

currently, your question is just way too broad to give a good answer. there are quite literally hundreds, if not thousands, of guitars that fit your criteria of "versatile blues/rock guitar under $5000"
Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things...
W4RP1G
Please, call me Pig.
2,847 IQ
A fat strat. The humbucker works great for metal, and the single coils for blues. You could get a typical HH guitar and put a humbucker sized P90 in the neck, or an SSS guitar and put a single coil sized humbucker in the bridge. Pickup configurations don't matter so much in the end, so look at neck shapes and sizes, fret numbers, style, ect., and figure out what you need out of a guitar.
AWACS
I want all of the things
6,889 IQ
I would say that your guitar is a smaller part of the equation than your amp is. Turn down your guitars volume, roll back the tone, and with minimal gain on a "metal" amp, or a Fender or Vox at almost any volume, you could get a decent blues tone. Metal; crank your gain and volume to level desired, and rock out. Through a Fender or Vox, it'll be a bit harder. Might be able to sneak by with pedals but it wont sound as authentic, imo. (read purple below)
Caution:
This post may contain my opinion and/or inaccurate information.

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
TC Electronics Corona & Hall of Fame
gregs1020
Hi mom!
10,786 IQ
how much do you want to spend?

what amp do you have, or,what amps are you considering?

do you gig or just play at home at lower volume levels?

what part of earth are you on? (markets vary)

answer those questions and maybe we can get you some good recommendations.
Quote by Roc8995
I don't think I've ever played anything in black walnut. It's a great ice cream flavor, so I assume it works well for a strat too.

Quote by JustRooster
The slugs in the pickups for telecasters are from old winchester rifles, which is why they sound so country.
AdamGM
43 IQ
Quote by W4RP1G
A fat strat. The humbucker works great for metal, and the single coils for blues. You could get a typical HH guitar and put a humbucker sized P90 in the neck, or an SSS guitar and put a single coil sized humbucker in the bridge. Pickup configurations don't matter so much in the end, so look at neck shapes and sizes, fret numbers, style, ect., and figure out what you need out of a guitar.

This helps a lot, thanks!
AdamGM
43 IQ
I'm checking out the Epiphones... in the $1000 range there are three that seem very similar but I'm having a hard time differentiating what separates them.

The standard plain top
http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Les-Paul/Epiphone/Les-Paul-Standard-Plain-Top.aspx

The Ultra pro
http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Les-Paul/Epiphone/Les-Paul-Ultra-PRO.aspx

Standard plustop pro
http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Les-Paul/Epiphone/Les-Paul-Standard-Plustop-PRO.aspx

Any experiences with any of these?

Thanks!
gregs1020
Hi mom!
10,786 IQ
so you can't answer questions?

$1000 on an epiphone? are you serious?

specs are the differences between those guitars.
Quote by Roc8995
I don't think I've ever played anything in black walnut. It's a great ice cream flavor, so I assume it works well for a strat too.

Quote by JustRooster
The slugs in the pickups for telecasters are from old winchester rifles, which is why they sound so country.
AdamGM
43 IQ
Quote by gregs1020
so you can't answer questions?

$1000 on an epiphone? are you serious?

specs are the differences between those guitars.

?
Yes I'm serious, is that bad?
When you've been out of the electric scene for a while the specs don't mean much.

Perhaps I'll go elsewhere, sorry.
SteveHOC
Used Register
1,051 IQ
I think the other thread you started on this was heading in the direction you were looking to go. People here are generally helpful, but there are certain guidelines to asking for advice. Check out the sticky on asking about what guitar to buy and answer those questions here so we can better guide you to a plausible answer.
Last edited by SteveHOC at Nov 23, 2012,
trashedlostfdup
diet coke fiend.
13,606 IQ
Quote by AdamGM
?
Yes I'm serious, is that bad?
When you've been out of the electric scene for a while the specs don't mean much.

you obviously don't want advice because you aren't answering our questions. a grand for an epiphone is a waste. i have seen older Gibson LP standards go for a grand, but they are twenty years old+. but some are very nice.

as gregs said

how much do you want to spend?

what amp do you have, or,what amps are you considering?

do you gig or just play at home at lower volume levels?

what part of earth are you on? (markets vary)

answer those questions and maybe we can get you some good recommendations.

we need to know what you're actual budget is, what current gear you have (especially your amp), what guitars you've played (did you like them? why or why not?), artists you like, tones you like, willingness to go used, quality of local market and where you live.

currently, your question is just way too broad to give a good answer. there are quite literally hundreds, if not thousands, of guitars that fit your criteria of "versatile blues/rock guitar under $5000"

post some answers up and we will help you. if not, spend a grand on an epi.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.
dannyalcatraz
Black Cherry Jello
3,265 IQ
First, let me say that the people here are genuinely trying to help you- answer the questions listed in the sticky, and you'll get their best advice. At this point, everyone is just kind of shooting in the dark.

Second, shooting in the dark, look at:

1) Godin or G&L guitars- both produce high quality HSS "Strat"-like guitars.

2) Reverend makes a good guitar, and most if not all of their products use korina as a body wood. One in particular stands out to me for you- the Double Agent, which has a Humbucker in the bridge, and a P90 in the neck position.

3) A subsidiary of Godin, Richmond Guitars Canada, makes some nifty, well-made, semi-retro style guitars. Two spring to mind: the Belmont and the Empire. The double-cut Belmont and Belmont Laurentian (which is the version with the Bigsby trem) is equipped with a SD '59 HB in the bridge, and SD lipstick pickups in the middle and neck positions. The Empire is a singlecut design, with one option featuring a Humbucker in the bridge and a singlecoil in the neck.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

alhaq369
It is very impotent to success a business.
MaggaraMarine
Slapping the bass.
3,469 IQ
The Epiphones you listed aren't $1000, they are more like $400-500. For $1000 you could buy a Gibson.

And what separates them? Maybe pickups. The Standard doesn't have coil splits. But I don't know, haven't tried them other than the Standard.

Different woods if you look at the features listed.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Charvel So Cal
Ibanez BL70
Yamaha FG720S-12
Tokai TB48
Laney VC30
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Bach Stradivarius
Yamaha P115
Last edited by MaggaraMarine at Nov 24, 2012,
gregs1020
Hi mom!
10,786 IQ
Quote by AdamGM

if you don't know how to answer questions then yes, the door is thataway.

shoo.
Quote by Roc8995

Quote by JustRooster
AdamGM
43 IQ
Quote by MaggaraMarine
The Epiphones you listed aren't $1000, they are more like $400-500. For $1000 you could buy a Gibson.

And what separates them? Maybe pickups. The Standard doesn't have coil splits. But I don't know, haven't tried them other than the Standard.

Different woods if you look at the features listed.

According to Epi's site the Ultra pro, Ultra 3, etc. are $999?

Quote by gregs1020
if you don't know how to answer questions then yes, the door is thataway.

shoo.

I'm still not sure what you're referring to. If I missed a sticky or something I apologize. I do this all on an iPhone and it's a bit tricky. I think I have enough info to start anyways. Thanks for your time, see ya;.
Robbgnarly
Tab Contributor
1,177 IQ
Quote by AdamGM
According to Epi's site the Ultra pro, Ultra 3, etc. are $999?

Those are the MSRP not the actual retail price.

Where are you located in the world, then we can point you to some diecent stores you can look into in your area.

I can buy a new Gibson LP Studio for $700 at just about any US online store

And you really aren't giving enough info for people to give you recomendations that wouls suit you to test out, any guitar can play any type of music
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Last edited by Robbgnarly at Nov 24, 2012,
JoeFlips
✯✯✯
1,395 IQ
The sticky you MUST read: https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1497696

Yeah $999 is the MSRP, most stores sell for half or a little more than half of that.
⫷⫸⫷⫸⫷⫸⫷⫸⫷⫸⫷⫸⫷⫸⫷⫸⫷⫸⫷⫸
Airline 3P Deluxe
Gibson SG Special w/ SD 59's
Victoria MIJ 60's Electric Guitar
Martin DCX1E
Hughes & Kettner Tubemeister 18
Bunch of Pedals
Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar
Kytokinesis
rose tint my world
705 IQ
^ just about ninja'd me. AdamGM, please review the link JoeFlips posted and post the info required. We aren't being nosy asking where you live - just give us a general country.

Also, official manufacture sites don't post accurate prices. Those are the prices right off the line without the discounts from a major gear retailer like Musician's Friend.
MaggaraMarine
Slapping the bass.
3,469 IQ
You have another thread asking about the Epiphone and I noticed this comment...
Quote by gregs1020
sam ash is having a sale on gibsons, plenty are within pennies of your budget.

70's tribute studios are $530.

So you could get a real Gibson for cheaper than the Epiphone.

And if coil split is what you want, maybe look at HSS Strats (bridge humbucker, neck and middle single coil). Single coil will sound more like single coil than coil split humbucker (- you don't say ). So if you need both humbucker and single coil sounds, maybe look at HSS Stratocasters or Ibanez RG or S series or something like that.

But you should really try some guitars. We can't tell you if you like the feel and sound of a Gibson. Or maybe you are a Fender guy. Blues and metal are wide genres with lots of different kind of sounds.
Quote by AlanHB

Gear

Charvel So Cal
Ibanez BL70
Yamaha FG720S-12
Tokai TB48
Laney VC30
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Bach Stradivarius
Yamaha P115
Last edited by MaggaraMarine at Nov 24, 2012,
gregs1020
Hi mom!
10,786 IQ
Quote by AdamGM
I'm still not sure what you're referring to. If I missed a sticky or something I apologize. I do this all on an iPhone and it's a bit tricky. I think I have enough info to start anyways. Thanks for your time, see ya;.

are you even reading this thread? you keep quoting me but you haven't answered a single question i've asked or one that others have.

answer the questions so you can actually get some helpful information that may lend itself to you gaining knowledge that you could use in buying a good guitar for your wants/needs.

or waste your hard earned money on a made in china epi. have at it.

i can sit here and go back and forth about how communication works all day long. i have plenty of left overs, guitar tabs and a new amp. come at me with your ignorance of how the english language works and how human beings communicate.

want help? answer the questions asked or prepare to see more cat pictures than you ever hoped for.

this is simple stuff, we ask, you answer.
Quote by Roc8995

Quote by JustRooster
gregs1020
Hi mom!
10,786 IQ
Quote by MaggaraMarine
You have another thread asking about the Epiphone and I noticed this comment...

So you would get a real Gibson for cheaper than the Epiphone.

i'm assuming this was asked of me.

what i "would do" and what i "recommend" to others is two vastly different things.

for around $1000 the best "off the shelf" les paul "imo" is this one. i played one yesterday and this guitar kicks so much ass it's not even funny.
http://www.samash.com/p/Gibson_Les%20Paul%20Traditional%20Mahogany%20Electric%20Guitar%20with%20Hardshell%20Case_1908381

if someone says, "but it's a couple hundo over my budget"? then save a couple hundo more. it's worth it. otherwise regret it hit hard down the road.

Quote by Roc8995

Quote by JustRooster
Last edited by gregs1020 at Nov 24, 2012,
MaggaraMarine
Slapping the bass.
3,469 IQ
^Agree. Always try before you buy, we can't tell if the guitar is for you.

By saying "So you would get a real Gibson for cheaper than the Epiphone." I meant that it's possible to get a real Gibson for the same price. I maybe should have used "could" instead of "would." Sorry for confusion.

EDIT: fixed.
Quote by AlanHB

Gear

Charvel So Cal
Ibanez BL70
Yamaha FG720S-12
Tokai TB48
Laney VC30
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Bach Stradivarius
Yamaha P115
gregs1020
Hi mom!
10,786 IQ
yes some gibson guitars right now are priced below the cost of some epiphones.

edit: here in the USA that is.
Quote by Roc8995

Quote by JustRooster
Last edited by gregs1020 at Nov 24, 2012,
Kytokinesis
rose tint my world
705 IQ
Quote by gregs1020
want help? answer the questions asked or prepare to see more cat pictures than you ever hoped for.

I'm intrigued and curious.
Alpha Genus
10 IQ
I just finished building this one for my company, it has 5 different Humbucker based coil positions
super punchy and warm for jazz and blues, but very clear and open tone for metal/rock.
I take extreme pride in my builds, they are unique and versatile.
They are around the same price as a new Gibson or PRS custom, only my guitars and basses are handmade to your specifications.

Check out Alpha Genus Guitars for more details...
Last edited by Alpha Genus at Nov 24, 2012,
Robbgnarly
Tab Contributor
1,177 IQ
Quote by Alpha Genus
I just finished building this one for my company, it has 5 different Humbucker based coil positions
super punchy and warm for jazz and blues, but very clear and open tone for metal/rock.
I take extreme pride in my builds, they are unique and versatile.
They are around the same price as a new Gibson or PRS custom, only my guitars and basses are handmade to your specifications.

Check out Alpha Genus Guitars for more details...

Your not soposed to advertise here, read the rules
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
lemurflames
Ronnie
188 IQ
Ibanez RG652KFX Prestige
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
jjfeu662
Celestia
1,996 IQ
Just get a LP. Epiphone is usually cheaper but if you can find a gibson cheap get it.
Tomorrow will take us away
Far from home
No one will ever know our names
But the bards' songs will remain
Tomorrow will take it away
The fear of today
It will be gone
Due to our magic songs

ALL HAIL CELESTIA