CheesyMozarella
Slacker
1,015 IQ
I've had this problem before, and then I got it fixed. I don't really remember what he did, but I think he changed one or more tubes. Anyway, now, 8 months later the noise is back.

The amp is a Peavey ValveKing 212. I'm guessing it has something to do with the tubes, but I don't even remotely know my way around amps, so I hoped that this problem would sound familiar to you guys.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2jGi2mwJusE

It gets pretty loud, so you might want to check your volume.
Last edited by CheesyMozarella at Nov 24, 2012,
Blktiger0
The Name's Devon! ;)
3,630 IQ
I'll be honest, I didn't hear any shrieking. Some weird percussive noise, but not what I was expecting.

I can't be sure because of what I heard versus what you're describing, but I would suspect a Microphonic Tube. I think 311 has a video on how to test for this, but basically, you turn your amp on and tap the preamp (smaller) tubes with the eraser of a pencil. If one of them makes noise through the speaker, it's microphonic. It's a more common issue with combo amps. What tubes are you using in that?
CheesyMozarella
Slacker
1,015 IQ
Hey, thanks for your reply.

I guess shrieking isn't really the right word, but it buzzes and clicks for a while until it starts rumbling (like at 0:34). And it doesn't stop until you turn it off (I had to turn it off here, or my neighbours probably would have killed me).

I'll try to find out what kind of tubes I have.
Robbgnarly
Tab Contributor
1,177 IQ
the VK uses 12ax7 (ecc83) pre-amp tubes and 6l6 power tubes.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Blktiger0
The Name's Devon! ;)
3,630 IQ
I meant what brand and model. If his tech is putting in JJ ECC803's, that could be the issue. Those are known for going microphonic in combos because of the excess vibration they're subjected to.
Cathbard
Grumpy Old Tech
2,565 IQ
Pull the tubes out and plug them back in again. If you have some contact cleaner spray it on the pins. That popping sounds like a dodgey connection.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
CheesyMozarella
Slacker
1,015 IQ
The smaller ones were ECC83 and the bigger ones were Ruby 6L6GCMSTR

Unfortunately, I don't have any contact cleaner. I'll try to pull 'em out and put them back again.

By the way, does their positioning matter?
Cathbard
Grumpy Old Tech
2,565 IQ
By positioning you mean in place properly? If they aren't seated properly you can get a little gap which causes der spitzen sparkenz. Filth will do the same thing. Pulling them out and plugging them back in again will clean them after a fashion as well as ensuring that they are plugged in properly.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Nov 24, 2012,
Cathbard
Grumpy Old Tech
2,565 IQ
Buy some contact cleaner (not WD40, proper contact cleaner like Deoxit) and give everything a good clean. To do the tube sockets spray some on the pins and work it in and out of the sockets a few times. ie the tube is your applicator.
Do the same with all the other sockets - input, speaker, fx loop, etc using a plug as your applicator.

It could be lots of things really but try a good cleaning first. It could be a broken solder joint, dodgey pot, faulty tube socket, faulty cable., dicky switch. Try the easy things first.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
R45VT
Doesn't speak guitar
1,110 IQ
Check the tubes first.

There was another guy on here with the same amp that just had bad pot solder joints. You can get a bunch of different noises from that.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
See, it's important that people clarify when they say "metal", because I pretty much always assume they are a Cannibal Corpse fanboi.
Cathbard
Grumpy Old Tech
2,565 IQ
Yeah, I was thinking that. What a pita. Have I mentioned how much I hate PCB mounted pots?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
R45VT
Doesn't speak guitar
1,110 IQ
Quote by Cathbard
Yeah, I was thinking that. What a pita. Have I mentioned how much I hate PCB mounted pots?

Never.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
See, it's important that people clarify when they say "metal", because I pretty much always assume they are a Cannibal Corpse fanboi.
Blktiger0
The Name's Devon! ;)
3,630 IQ
Quote by Cathbard

In fact, I thought you preferred them

Btw, glad you could help him. I was confused by his description being a shrieking sound, when all I heard was popping, but I know some cameras don't pick up the sound correctly and then Youtube compresses the video.