thetobarmethod
261 IQ
Hi, im looking into a new amp and i was deciding between the 2, so far im leaning on the JCM900 mkiii. I sing in my band, but play guitar at home/write my own material. I tune below D ALWAYS unless im covering something above C. I play primarily a EVH style of rythme guitar, weird little 3 finger chords and mixing open/fretted chords together style thing. I prefer moderate/high gain levels and play Alternative Metal style stuff(10 Years,Staind, Tool, Seether, System of a Down). So which one would be better overall for this style. If the 900 doesnt have enough gain or doenst "fit", i have a eq pedal and a overdrive pedal to fix that so which one?
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl
2,967 IQ
i don't know much about them, but i don't think the 900s were all-tube (apart from the slx, maybe). far as i'm aware the dsl is all-tube, but i've only tried the older one.

what's your budget?
Quote by classicrocker01
Only on UG would I say I got engaged and bought a jet city and get congratulated on the amp

Cathbard
Grumpy Old Tech
2,565 IQ
The Mk3 isn't as ugly as the Dual Reverb but they are no SL/X.
The Mk3 has that shitty bridge/diode clipping circuit permanently in the circuit (straight after the TMB) and an op-amp driven FX loop and op-amp driven Master volumes. The mk3 is like a half-arsed SL/X.
I'd go in order, SL/X > DSL > Mk3 > Dual Reverb.
Unless you need a clean channel and then it's DSL > Dual Reverb > SL/X > Mk3

If you remove the clipper from a Mk3 you basically have a JCM800 2203/2204 with two master volumes and an FX loop. Pretty good amp if you do that. I'd still prefer an SL/X though, those things rock.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Nov 24, 2012,
thetobarmethod
261 IQ
all 3 models are al tube, but the Dual Reverb version of the 900 usues some solid state clipping.(thats why im looking at the mkiii version its all tube and designed around the jcm800).

My budget right now is at max 800.(Im only looking for a head and i dont really feel like forking a bunch up for a plexi-panel which is what i really really want.)
Cathbard
Grumpy Old Tech
2,565 IQ
No man, you're wrong. Read what I said. All 900's have SS stuff in the preamp, some more than others.
The Dual Reverb has something like 20 op-amps and 9 diodes. It's a LONG way from just "some solid state clipping"
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl
2,967 IQ
what cath said

i can't really think of anything offhand for 800 dollars, but i'm not too well up on USA prices, either.
Quote by classicrocker01
Only on UG would I say I got engaged and bought a jet city and get congratulated on the amp

Robbgnarly
Tab Contributor
1,177 IQ
The DSL is a great amp the JCM900 SLX is a killer high gain amp.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Cathbard
Grumpy Old Tech
2,565 IQ
Just to demonstrate the true horror of the Dual Reverb's preamp, behold:

http://www.drtube.com/schematics/marshall/jmp52-02-iss11.pdf

Have you ever seen an uglier preamp schematic? Not only is it unnecessarily complex, it's just a poor piece of design containing some of the dumbest things ever to grace an amplifier.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Offworld92
One among the fence.
7,563 IQ
Definitely the DSL.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
gregs1020
Hi mom!
10,786 IQ
Definitely the DSL.
Quote by Roc8995
I don't think I've ever played anything in black walnut. It's a great ice cream flavor, so I assume it works well for a strat too.

Quote by JustRooster
The slugs in the pickups for telecasters are from old winchester rifles, which is why they sound so country.
ihartfood
Potato Faced Blind Man
551 IQ
Quote by Offworld92
Definitely the DSL.

Quote by gregs1020
Definitely the DSL.

Quote by ihartfood
Definitely the DSL.

because it's got better cleans primarily. that's important to me.
robbgnarly plays prog metal with his DSL. ask him.

the SL-X kills both IMO
Last edited by ihartfood at Nov 24, 2012,
nickdohle
Let's a go Mario!
1,233 IQ
I play every band you listed. DSL 50. I have a DSL100. Great amp. Can go from crisp cleans, to crunchy rhythm, to metal. Throw in a transparent overdrive, and it can get pretty damn heavy. I put my gain around 12 o clock, and play on the Ultra Channel without the extra gain boost and its very dynamic. Throw in an overdrive, and you can hit very heavy tones. I personally think the DSL has a little too much gain for my style of playing.
MatrixClaw
UG God
10,723 IQ
Really dig the DSL50. With a boost, it's one of the clearest amps I've ever played through. For the price you can pick them up for on the used market, I have no complaints on them whatsoever.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
thetobarmethod
261 IQ
Thnx for all the replies, im thinking about the DSL now that the underwhelming minority have said its the right choice, ill look into one of them this tuesday when im at Guitar Center.
razordave1
488 IQ
The Dsl is great...especially if you slam a ts 808 on the red channel...goes into complete annialation mode!
CodeMonk
UG's Old Fart
1,580 IQ
Quote by Cathbard
Just to demonstrate the true horror of the Dual Reverb's preamp, behold:

http://www.drtube.com/schematics/marshall/jmp52-02-iss11.pdf

Have you ever seen an uglier preamp schematic? Not only is it unnecessarily complex, it's just a poor piece of design containing some of the dumbest things ever to grace an amplifier.

I just threw up a little.
Looks almost as bad as the MG preamp section
gregs1020
Hi mom!
10,786 IQ
Quote by thetobarmethod
Thnx for all the replies, im thinking about the DSL now that the underwhelming minority have said its the right choice, ill look into one of them this tuesday when im at Guitar Center.

we aren't talking about the new DSL, we're talking about the JCM2000 DSL.

just to be clear.
Quote by Roc8995
I don't think I've ever played anything in black walnut. It's a great ice cream flavor, so I assume it works well for a strat too.

Quote by JustRooster
The slugs in the pickups for telecasters are from old winchester rifles, which is why they sound so country.
nickdohle
Let's a go Mario!
1,233 IQ
Quote by gregs1020

just to be clear.

Yea, the old JCM's were the shit. You can pick one up easy for 500 bucks. And there pretty solid amps. Spring reverb, two channels, bass boost switch, mid cut switch, and each channel has two modes.
R45VT
Doesn't speak guitar
1,110 IQ
Quote by CodeMonk
I just threw up a little.
Looks almost as bad as the MG preamp section

You can cut a bunch of that stuff out right after C5....
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
See, it's important that people clarify when they say "metal", because I pretty much always assume they are a Cannibal Corpse fanboi.
Last edited by R45VT at Nov 25, 2012,
Cathbard
Grumpy Old Tech
2,565 IQ
Bizarre aint it? Marshall persisted with that asymetrical fuzz circuit for ages. That's the culprit in all fizzy Marshalls. There isn't a single amp where removing it is a bad thing. So glad those guys pissed off to Blackstar.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
R45VT
Doesn't speak guitar
1,110 IQ
If I wanted my distortion to sounds like a pedal I would but a pedal.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
See, it's important that people clarify when they say "metal", because I pretty much always assume they are a Cannibal Corpse fanboi.
Cathbard
Grumpy Old Tech
2,565 IQ
Exactly. We go to great effort to select our overdrive pedals and they thought we'd all be happy settling for a shitty fuzz circuit?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl
2,967 IQ
^ yup agreed

Quote by R45VT
If I wanted my distortion to sounds like a pedal I would but a pedal.

exactly. that goes for blackstar too.
Quote by classicrocker01

ikey_
4,739 IQ
dsl50 is a kick *ss amp for heavy stuff. tons of gain on tap, you wont need it all. definitely retains clarity for heavy stuff, is versatile enough for cleans, rock, etc.

it is a beast. i think itsa bit much in an apartment but its a 500 watter so of course.

best part - they go cheap on the used market. i think average price is 600 if you can find one.
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
thetobarmethod
261 IQ
Quote by gregs1020

just to be clear.

Yea i know yur talking about the JCM2000, but i was just wondering the differences because iv heard the 900 fizzy, then not fizzy, then the DSL fizzy, but not fizzy so i wanted the general consensus around here before deciding. Cause im going to sell the one i get further down the road after saving some money, then buy a plexi panel
Cathbard
Grumpy Old Tech
2,565 IQ
The only reason a DSL will sound fizzy is if it is running crap tubes and/or speakers.
The 900's are fizzy unless you remove the shitty clipper circuits. The exception is the SL/X which isn't fizzy at all; again, unless they are running shit tubes and/or speakers.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
R45VT
Doesn't speak guitar
1,110 IQ
DSL + JJ's = win
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl
2,967 IQ
Quote by thetobarmethod
Yea i know yur talking about the JCM2000, but i was just wondering the differences because iv heard the 900 fizzy, then not fizzy, then the DSL fizzy, but not fizzy so i wanted the general consensus around here before deciding. Cause im going to sell the one i get further down the road after saving some money, then buy a plexi panel

what cathbard said

also, an awful lot of marshall cabs run g12t75s, which are fizzy.
Quote by classicrocker01