Page 2 of 3
PRS guitars.

I don't get along with them as well as i would want to. They look lovely but, i just don't really enjoy em like i should
Upgraded HSS USA Fender American Series Strat
G&L USA 30th Anniversary Legacy
Laney Lionheart 20 112
Generic Boss DD-3
Blackstar Ht-1
and an old Beaten up dunlop Mr.Crybaby.

http://www.facebook.com/CarelessRumour
I love the sound and look of PRS guitars but I hate the way they feel, specially the neck.
I love my PRS, but I wish it had a satin/tung-oil/"bare" finish on the neck. The neck's a little bit slow for me, but I love it.

Every guitar that doesn't stay in tune for how long I want it to. I'm OCD about tuning. If I play it for 8 hours straight, and it falls out of tune --I'm frustrated. Don't play it for a few days-a week -- whatever. I really want to try a guitar with an Evertune system in it
Caution:
This post may contain my opinion and/or inaccurate information.

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
TC Electronics Corona & Hall of Fame
Quote by Ippon
I have no issues with any of the guitars mentioned so far and I'd use any of them.

True, as my friend says (and I don't say this to offend anyone, but think about it):

There are no bad guitars, there are only bad guitarists.
Quote by dimeNG
True, as my friend says (and I don't say this to offend anyone, but think about it):

There are no bad guitars, there are only bad guitarists.

I call complete bullshit. Some people get alone great with any guitar. Some people are very picky/temperamental. That's totally a genetic thing, no one's fault.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
I call complete bullshit. Some people get alone great with any guitar. Some people are very picky/temperamental. That's totally a genetic thing, no one's fault.

Yeah, that's true, but the point of this thread is that you would like a guitar if only one minor thing would be different.

I don't know but for me, I can adapt to a slightly bigger neck, or a slightly heavier guitar if I really like it. Don't get me wrong, I definitely do not like Ibanez RGs as a whole, but if I really liked how they sounded, and only the neck was an issue, I would try and play it more and get used to it.
I don't believe in doing that. There's a ton of aftermarket pickups - kind of a slap in the face of pickup manufacturers to force yourself to like an uncomfortable guitar rather than try out different pups in a guitar you do find comfortable to get a sound you love.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
I don't believe in doing that. There's a ton of aftermarket pickups - kind of a slap in the face of pickup manufacturers to force yourself to like an uncomfortable guitar rather than try out different pups in a guitar you do find comfortable to get a sound you love.

How would you make a strat or a tele sound like a LP by changing the pick up?

IMO, if you really like how a guitar sounds and looks, you should try and adapt to it. I mean, when we all started we had to adapt to play a guitar, right? Now I know everybody has a preference, and when choosing a guitar would be a little biased towards their preferences, but if you're really in love with the sound and looks.. why not try and play the thing for a couple of weeks and you'll see that you'll learn to love the neck too for example.

This is just my opinion, and I do not think that everybody should do this, just to be clear. Different strokes for different folks as they say, right?

EDIT: And I forgot to add, if its a medical injury or something making it difficult to play the guitar, then yeah, I get swapping pickups and all that.
Last edited by dimeNG at Nov 26, 2012,
Gibsons.

They're just meh, you know?

Honestly if fender made a 24 fret strat with appropriate access I would be so happy.
Quote by dimeNG
How would you make a strat or a tele sound like a LP by changing the pick up?

IMO, if you really like how a guitar sounds and looks, you should try and adapt to it. I mean, when we all started we had to adapt to play a guitar, right? Now I know everybody has a preference, and when choosing a guitar would be a little biased towards their preferences, but if you're really in love with the sound and looks.. why not try and play the thing for a couple of weeks and you'll see that you'll learn to love the neck too for example.

This is just my opinion, and I do not think that everybody should do this, just to be clear. Different strokes for different folks as they say, right?

EDIT: And I forgot to add, if its a medical injury or something making it difficult to play the guitar, then yeah, I get swapping pickups and all that.

You can't. But that's really extreme. And there is a large middle ground. Lots of LP lookalikes with lots of contours for comfort. Also there's some LPs made out of Alder and Maple and what not, so you can get closer to a Strat by putting single coils in that. No, it will not sound like a Strat, but... it'll get closer.

Different strokes.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
It seems my hands can only be compatible with a particular neck profile. I love the look and satin feel of a Gibson Les Paul Traditional but the neck doesn't seem to agree with me.
G͔͓̅e͎͉̟̽ͬ͐̎̃͐ͨͅå͈͖͕̹̤̟̐̏͋ͅr̩͕̫̰̗s̹̳̼ͥ̒̍̄̅ͥ̚:

ESP Standard Eclipse I CTM VW
ESP LTD Deluxe H-1001
ESP LTD Deluxe Viper-1000 STBC
ESP Edwards E-EX-100STD
Warmoth Paulcaster "Tiger"
Tanglewood TW170 AS
Vox Tonelab ST
Blackstar HT-1R

Quote by Offworld92

So you are saying the people complaining are genetically inferior?

Anyway OT I can't think of anything I don't like that with a minor change would turn into something I love. The only thing I wouldn't buy is a hollow body. I also don't like dot inlays on anything other than maple, both purely for aesthetic reasons.
ES series guitars, they look so beautiful and sound great too, but their size makes it difficult for me to play them due to my wonky forearm : arm :shoulder ratio.
Would have loved a Gibsons les paul studio white ... but hate the neck cause they put the 50's round neck on it . and even if it were the slim taper , its still not as slim as my Agile slim .

i have 3 Agile 3xxx slim ... couldnt be happier .

if it wasnt of the neck .. would have probably bought a gibson .

i have small hands and the agile slim is the fisrt guitar i really felt confortable on .. that i can play with my thumb over .

im selling my fender strat u,s,a cause i cant play it anymore .
Bedroom rock star :

- Gibson Les paul Standard 2001 Honeyburst .
- Agile 3200 Slim
Last edited by Skysc at Nov 26, 2012,
I don't like les pauls because they are unweidly as ****.

Boom.

Actually, I'm starting to hate strats because of fret access isn't good for br00tz.
I may get mad hate for this, but I absolutely was disgusted with the two petrucci EBMMs I played. the necks were just all wrong for me, I did not like them at all. I really want to like that guitar, it is a sweet axe with some awesome features regardless of the model, but it ain't happening.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
I used to not like Les Pauls. Partially this is because about 80% of my influences and idols used a Fender Stratocaster almost exclusively, but also, I never could find a LP, Epi or Gibson, that I liked the feel of the neck.

Even when I finally bought my Epi LP, I walked around and picked up 8 other ones, and hated every one. Including a $2500 Gibson. For some reason, my LP's neck felt right, and was far easier to play, than any of the others. Including two other Epi LPs which were basically the same guitar!

I've also never found a Telecaster that I've liked, for much the same reason. I'll admit I've not tried many though.
Maybe this thread should be called, necks we hate and shapes we love.

I also love the strat sound and shape, but I can never seem to get them to dial in the tone I like. Its either to glassy, or hums way to loud.
I just think EBMMs look ugly. They look like baby guitars, the body and headstock are too small for the neck. And the headstock is ugly.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Delboyuk_01
Gotta agree with Les Paul's, love the look of them but they're just not comfortable, too small and heavy for my liking.

I think Les Paul's are pretty neat looking guitars, but they just feel...wrong. I'm used to a Strat neck and body. I don't like a wide neck. Not necessarily thin/fat but just the width. It feels unnatural. And I don't like how I always bump the pick-up selector when playing, I don't like how the body doesn't have a contour so it sticks into your ribs and I don't like the wiring. ( 2 volume and 2 tone seems unnecessary to me)

/rant.
banned
Quote by ChucklesMginty
I love the tone of Les Pauls but I hate the lack of fret access, and they're too heavy.
I love the playability of RGs and having a Floyd but they're not beefy enough.
I prefer teles to strats but they have almost never have a vibrato bar.
I love the Jackson RR24 but it has no neck pickup.

I could go on...

Funny, my V has never had this problem. Perhaps because it's particularly light so the weight just evens out in a certain way.

So... What do you play?!
banned
Schecters tend to have specs I like but not in shapes or designs that I don't find tacky as all hell.
A lot of Ibanez guitars don't feel as solid as they look. I haven't played J-custom ones, though. Schecter has this problem as well.

EDIT: I have an irrational dislike for excessively ornate guitars, with flame maple tops, fancy inlays and gold hardware. That's not to say that I don't like the way they look - some of them look great, but I could never own a guitar like that. I feel like I'm not supposed to be playing one. It looks out of place in my hands.
Last edited by sashki at Nov 27, 2012,
Fender Rosewood necks. I don't have a heavy touch but whenever I bend on these necks I can feel my fingers grating on them. Gibson I'm fine with.

Such a shame because I would love the Jim Adkins tele, but I just can't deal with the open pored grain

So ****ing lame.
Quote by Shredwizard445
Go ahead and spend your money, I don't care. It won't make you sound better.

Quote by Shredwizard445
Sure upgrading your gear will make you sound better.

Explorers. Love the way they sound, but the neck dive makes it useless for standing and the shape makes it awkward for sitting.
Les Pauls. Again, love the way they sound but they're incredibly thick and heavy, and have piss poor fret access.
Teles. Similar issues to the LP, but much lighter.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
ESP Horizon NT-7 (SD Full Shreds)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V (Duncan Quarter Pounds + Hipshot Kickass)
UA Apollo Twin Duo
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
So basically UG just needs to man up when it comes to Explorers?

Figures

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Quote by nickdohle
1 Maybe this thread should be called, necks we hate and shapes we love.

2 I also love the strat sound and shape, but I can never seem to get them to dial in the tone I like. Its either to glassy, or hums way to loud.

1 agreed, on that note i love gold top les pauls but the R7 neck is too fat for my personal taste.

2 - my mij strat makes no hum. that reason alone is why i'm not changing a thing on it.

Quote by Tom 1.0
So basically UG just needs to man up when it comes to Explorers?

Figures

fanboi.

I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
My Gibson V is super light and balances perfectly. I've never heard of a Flying V that wasn't like that unless it was a cheap copy.

Oh. Could be but I think I've read about Gibsons doing that.
Quote by gregs1020

fanboi.

Just fully grown

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
I really want to like superstrats, but the necks always feel awkward to me (I can't stand Fender style scale-length other than a few actual Fenders), and I hate having to deal with locking trems. I like Kahler a little better than Floyd Rose but it's still a pain. I had a Fender MIJ HSS Strat from the 80s with this zany tremolo system, and I had to get rid of that guitar because it drove me crazy. Maybe some day I'll get used to them but for now I'll stick with lusting after hot-rodded Les Pauls.
Quote by Mephaphil
Fender Rosewood necks. I don't have a heavy touch but whenever I bend on these necks I can feel my fingers grating on them. Gibson I'm fine with.

Such a shame because I would love the Jim Adkins tele, but I just can't deal with the open pored grain

So ****ing lame.

They beauty of Fender guitars is that you can take them apart and put the way you want.
For me it's not so much the guitar body shape but the V-shaped Fender necks. I used to own a classic player 50's strat that I fell in love with at first, loved the tone, locking tuners, color, etc. However after a while my hand would get fatigued because of the soft v, felt like my thumb had to cross a ridge while playing. Come to think of it I don't know why I bought it...oh I remember now I bought it online without trying it first. Dumb!
I SEE A BAD MOON RISING
I SEE TROUBLE ON THE WAY
Quote by supersac
les pauls...i lov ethe look and the sound form them but they just dont feel rght in my hands

same
SGs: I find the body and necks on most that I've tried super comfortable, and I dig the tone, but the neck dive is just not something I ever want to have to live with.

Single pickup guitars: The simplicity is just fantastic, but I can't bring myself to believe a single pickup guitar is versatile enough for what I need. So tempting though...
Kenneth
I would love a horizon nt-7 if i could justify spending 2000$ on it.
-Peavey 6505+
-Bugera 333xl(w/6l6 pt's) -dead
-412 X-pattern loaded w/ WGS veteran30s & HM75s
-Gibson Les Paul, SD Blackouts *being worked on back to stock*
-Jackson DR7, EMGs
-LTD MH417
-Peavey Vyper 75w
Ibanez guitars.

There are a lot of models I like but never could get a long with those thin necks.
My Kramer's:
79 DMZ6000G
83 Pacer Imp
83 Vanguard
85 Pacer Deluxe
85 Baretta
85 Pacer Deluxe
85 Condor
86 Pacer Imperial
86 JK2000
86 JK6000
87 Focus Mutt
09 Gary Kramer Crusader
Les Pauls, probably. I love how a dark burst or wine-colored LP looks, and I would *LOVE* to have one for 70s-early 80s rock, but they just don't work with me. At first I couldn't sit right with them, and once I finally learned how to, I found out the necks are a bit too thick for my liking. That and I've never really played one that wowed me tonally, they all sound a fair bit too dark for my liking, and not very clear(I guess? It's like I have the tone down or something, only with LPs...I like a lot of clarity separation between notes in chords, so this doesn't sit well with me). I've played 4 Gibsons of varying quality and countless Epiphones, but nothing's ever impressed me tonally.

I'd also have to go with any Ibanez with a Wizard neck. I *LOVE* the tones that come out of RGs and Ses, but I've got fat hands, I guess, and the necks just don't work for me.
Quote by SlayingDragons
Nah, I prefer to tune lower. My tunings usually go into weird Hebrew symbols.
Pretty much anything fender or gibson

All the ones I've tried at guitar stores have been uncomfortable or just set up poorly

Although there was this one les paul studio at my guitar center that played really well
HILT!

Where's Waldo?