Page 1 of 2
deepfat
2,368 IQ
Right now I'm running a Crate Blackheart Little Giant for practice but with numerous stompboxes and a Vox Tonelab ST. I've been thinking that maybe I should just jettison the pedals (except for my OCD), sell the amp, the Tonelab and just get a small practice amp like a HT-1 or a Vox ACTV. Kind of go back to when I was learning with a bare bones system.

Ever get that feeling?
T00DEEPBLUE
Boba FRETT
2,245 IQ
No.

Never enough pedals.
Regarding the furry fandom from the man himself:
Quote by Axelfox
Please understand how little we as a community care
innertom
Registered Sex Offender
63 IQ
Nope why not get a little practice amp and keep your pedals

Is there any reason you wanna simplify it? Is it just so there's less ****ing around setting up?
deepfat
2,368 IQ
Quote by innertom
Nope why not get a little practice amp and keep your pedals

Is there any reason you wanna simplify it? Is it just so there's less ****ing around setting up?

Pretty much. Plus, I think my writing is suffering because I'm more worried about hammering down what I want from the pedals.
innertom
Registered Sex Offender
63 IQ
True that.
Are your pedals all on a board with a powersupply, that saves a shit tin of setting up time.
Have you tried writing on an acoustic then figuring out all your effects later.
I'd really advise you against selling off your pedals, you will end up regretting it
AlecBeretz
199 IQ
i hate effects... there are a few I'll use, like distortion, reverb, delay, and wah... but after that, I find most effects are just gimmicks. I do like some tremolo, especially on slow rhythm chords.
Robfreitag
64 IQ
I have a bit of an urge to sell my high end gear and get cheaper stuff (hoping to find some old copies and stuff).

Liquidate my assets.
---
Zaphod_Beeblebr
Shallow and pedantic.
1,670 IQ
I'm usually all for a simple rig; right now I'm only running a head/cab, guitar, tuner and solo boost in the loop. For what I do there's not much point using anything else since it would only cause trouble with switching issues.

That's the main thing for me; I'm pretty bad at switching anyway so having to bollock about with tapdancing on a million different things really wouldn't work for me.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Album.
Legion.
krehzeekid
Me like guitars
316 IQ
I generally run a really simple rig- guitar>compressor>amp. It does everything I need at most gigs (granted, the amp is a 4 channel monster).

However, I sometimes play multiple amp rigs with various effects (usually delay, wah, compressor and chorus) with an ABY box. I don't really prefer one rig type to the other, but rather chose based on what the gig is going to require and how I'm feeling that day.

That being said, I used to be a total pedal junkie and I eventually got tired of having to tap dance because of "I need to have this chorus, this distortion and this delay for this solo" scenarios. I tend to use my effects spontaneously now days- though there are way fewer of them now. I think it all boils down to how you use your effects and how much they contribute to the core of your sound. For me, effects augment what's already there, and can therefore be removed without any issue whatsoever. I've played with other guitarists who run massive pedalboards and can hardly play without them.
Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things...
dannyalcatraz
Black Cherry Jello
3,265 IQ
3 words: Carl Martin OctaSwitch
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

alhaq369
It is very impotent to success a business.
AWACS
I want all of the things
6,888 IQ
What I would say is put your essential pedals on one board, like an OD, Delay maybe, footswitch for your amp, wah pedal maybe, or whatever is essential to your sound.

On another board put your "weird" effects, or things that aren't quite essential to your sound. Flanger, volume pedal, phaser, 3 kinds of overdrives, 7 delays, etc.

Or, have a good MFX pedal for your "tour" or gigging board like an Axe-FX kind of thing, and have a "studio/home" board with all your actual pedals on it.
Caution:
This post may contain my opinion and/or inaccurate information.

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
TC Electronics Corona & Hall of Fame
SteveHOC
Used Register
1,051 IQ
I wish I could. A lot of my lead styles depend on the DL4 and those suckers break down frequently enough. Makes it a pain when you have to mess with it when you should be dropping swells for looping. I really just need more guitarists to handle that stuff, then I could simplify my pedalboard.
JustRooster
Internet Bully
7,165 IQ
I run Guitar > Tuner > Overdrive > Delay > Amp.

Quote by EyeNon15
Thats too bad, I was under the impression I was arguing something profound

Axe Murderer
1,428 IQ
I got a new Strat that has me thinking about getting rid of my other two (and they are nice Strats).
cjb2293
2,192 IQ
Quote by JustRooster
I run Guitar > Tuner > Overdrive > Delay > Amp.

Drag that tuner out of there! Don't want to get any tone suck through a tuner.

I run around 7 pedals myself and my tuner is still in line sadly
Really starts to eat away at the tone with all the cables running.
trashedlostfdup
diet coke fiend.
13,436 IQ
Quote by dannyalcatraz
3 words: Carl Martin OctaSwitch

+1

alternately you could run a loop a/b switcher type thing 6 jacks, a foot of wire, a switch, and a housing. so when you would stomp it would alternate groups of pedals.

honestly i don't think i will ever downsize, i just get more as time passes.

as far as a lot of people who want to downsize have more on their board or more in their setup than they really use. i saw a larger home grown local band and i was on the side, and the lead guitarist literally had 10+ pedals and he didn't even use more than three or four of them all night.

i simplify when i gig, don't have all the goodies i leave at home, but i get it to do what it needs to do. nobody but people like us are going to miss hearing a chorus if you are playing on an amp with decent cleans.

if i were to be recording, i would use a lot more gear, but being that i still cant get my I/O's right for my interface ( i hate computers ) i will work on it.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.
JustRooster
Internet Bully
7,165 IQ
Quote by cjb2293
Drag that tuner out of there! Don't want to get any tone suck through a tuner.

I run around 7 pedals myself and my tuner is still in line sadly
Really starts to eat away at the tone with all the cables running.

I'm running MFD pickups. It'd have to be pretty resistant to suck my tone.

Quote by EyeNon15

dannyalcatraz
Black Cherry Jello
3,265 IQ
honestly i don't think i will ever downsize, i just get more as time passes.

Hi there, my name is dannyalcatraz, and I'm a gearaholic.

When I started off on electrics, I bought TWO.

I had a nearly complete collection of Line6 ToneCore pedals before I owned an amp.

I don't have all of my current collection of pedals in my chain- I don't have the floor space OR power plugs OR cables to do so.

I have actively considered getting a second OctaSwitch...

And I do not gig!
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

alhaq369
trashedlostfdup
diet coke fiend.
13,436 IQ
Quote by dannyalcatraz

I had a nearly complete collection of Line6 ToneCore pedals before I owned an amp.

I don't have all of my current collection of pedals in my chain- I don't have the floor space OR power plugs OR cables to do so.

And I do not gig!

hi my name is trashedlostfdup.

i have owned over a total of 60 guitars in the last 8 years, currently own somewhere between 18 and 21 (i don't even know for sure)

i have three full rooms. a hardy amp section and and a rapidly increasing pedal board. i also have built two amps.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.
dannyalcatraz
Black Cherry Jello
3,265 IQ
If I win the Powerball, I will amass a collection to shame Scott Chinery.

alhaq369
Ghostmaker
1,081 IQ
Yeah, simplifying my rig has been something I've been pondering for a while.

For me to get all the tones I want, and control them the way I want, I'll need to either expand my setup, which will be expensive and difficult to transport, or shrink down to a multi effects unit. An Axe FX centered rig makes perfect sense, but I'd have to sell my current setup to finance it, and I'm not quite sure I'm ready for that.

I'd be glad to have a Spider Valve (again) for the sake of having an all-in-one unit for practice or small gigs. It may be a sacrifice in tonal quality but it's soooo much easier than carrying an entire rig around.

Anyways, those are just the things running through my mind at the moment.
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl
2,967 IQ
not really. that'd involve having less gear.

if i gigged i could see wanting to have a small setup for handiness, but i'd still keep all the other stuff
Quote by classicrocker01
Only on UG would I say I got engaged and bought a jet city and get congratulated on the amp

WholeLottaIzzy
UGs Only Rhythm Guitarist
6,023 IQ
My rig has always been simple. Only pedals I use are reverb, clean boost and and a tuner. Occasionally my Tone Bender. I'm usually pretty much straight into the amp.
JustRooster
Internet Bully
7,165 IQ
Quote by dannyalcatraz

And I do not gig!

Hi, I'm JustRooster, and I've owned 11 different Strats and 4 different Teles in the last 3 years. Too much trading and flipping.

Quote by EyeNon15

Axe Murderer
1,428 IQ
Quote by JustRooster
Hi, I'm JustRooster, and I've owned 11 different Strats and 4 different Teles in the last 3 years. Too much trading and flipping.

HOLY CRAP! And here I thought the 3 I own was too much!
woad_yurt
959 IQ
I am now down to a tube preamp and amp. Two of my heads have reverb so I sometimes use it a little bit as well. All I'm into is dimed power tubes. Everything I add just takes the edge off the sound and I want that edge. With my guitar sound, I like the corners unsanded and sharp, so to speak.

I'm glad I don't want every tone under the sun.* Those pedals can add up, cost-wise.

* I can't sound different and pull it off anyway. I only do mine, you know?
Darkflame
officialBOSS pedals hater
2,131 IQ
I used to have around 20-25 pedals on a board, going to an amp. I also had the footswitch and everything, and even though I could get any sound I wanted to get, I felt it was too much of a hassle.
I ended up going to guitar -> single channel amp, and that's all I use most of the time. It feels much better now, more natural, so you're not the only one I still have all my pedals in case I ever want to use them, but I haven't in a very long time.
griffin888
65 IQ
Already did. Sold my other guitars, amps, and pedals. Since I only play at home these days, I just run my Suhr through an Eleven Rack. I have a MIDI foot controller, and a Dunlop wah.
MrFlibble
Puts a bangin' donk on it
4,127 IQ
I'm doing it right now, partly because I'm moving, partly because I've already done the whole giant-pedalboard, excessive guitar collection thing.

I've gone from [insert copy&paste list from my profile] to:
- HD147
- Octave pedal
- Talk Box
- LP DC w/P-90s
- LP
- Tele
- 7-string

I think I might add a hollow or semi-hollow body, to round out the tone options. Then that will be me done for good*.

*probably not for good.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
slayne827
474 IQ
Its just the opposite for me. started out with a simple boost, gate, amp. Now Im in the proccess of finding effects for a wierd undertone lead sound. I got an idea in my head but i gotta find what boxes will put it thru a cab.
dannyalcatraz
Black Cherry Jello
3,265 IQ
I think I might add a hollow or semi-hollow body, to round out the tone options. Then that will be me done for good*.

*probably not for good.

MrFlibble will be walking along- or surfing the net- one day, and then *ZAP!!!*

A new twangy thang will make space in his heart...

alhaq369
thebestjoe
546 IQ
I simplified mine in September when I didn't need anything. I Velcro-ed my wireless receiver to the side of my amp head, then used a 6 inch patch cable. I think the longest cable I used for that whole thing was a 3 foot speaker cable.

Since then, my needs have changed, as the band I'm with now allows me to be more experimental/not being super gain br00tz all the time. Now my set up is Wireless receiver>Wah>Compressor>Clean Boost>TS>Amp. The cable to run pedals to amp will alter between 10 and 25 foot depending on how big the stage is.
Ibanez
Universe UV777 Signed by Steve Vai
Prestige RG2027X with Bare Knuckle Aftermaths
RG7621 swirled
Prestige RG1420
AEL207E
MrFlibble
Puts a bangin' donk on it
4,127 IQ
Quote by dannyalcatraz
MrFlibble will be walking along- or surfing the net- one day, and then *ZAP!!!*

A new twangy thang will make space in his heart...
Since making that post I've already been looking at LP Juniors, Thinline Teles, Mayones, a custom Strat...
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
dannyalcatraz
Black Cherry Jello
3,265 IQ
Quote by MrFlibble
Since making that post I've already been looking at LP Juniors, Thinline Teles, Mayones, a custom Strat...

For you:
http://www.stevenscustomguitars.co.uk/index.html

alhaq369
jacobtheimpaler
71 IQ
I always have that feeling when I play through my buddies' rig. That's why I try to keep it simple as possible, my ideal rig is Guitar - Tuner - Driver - Amp, that's all I need, really.
Hou-Tex
Gary
592 IQ
Just did.

No peddles, smaller amp and cheaper guitar.
A bunch of stuff.
deepfat
2,368 IQ
Update: Sold all my pedals except for the OCD (Marshall in a box) and the Blackheart and picked up a Vibro Champ XD from the local shop for $150. Still have the Tonelab.

So now it's guitar>OCD>Vibro Champ

Gonna add a tuning pedal but that'll be it for a while. Really feeling rejuvenated since I've stripped down the rig. Now it's focusing on my chops and writing.
W4RP1G
Please, call me Pig.
2,847 IQ
I don't like to add anything that I don't really use, since it seems like adding things just makes it harder for me to dial in my ideal tones.

I do need to get a good tuner pedal though. I keep putting that off, but it would sure make my life easier.